• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

We (bohemia and I) had very ambitious plans for 2014 already, however this amount of sales was completely unexpected. Honestly, 250k within a quarter was what I would have considered a success. So to move nearly 800,000 in under a month is crazy.
We'll be finalizing our roadmap in mid January, but it is safe to say that this kind of result will be having a very positive effect on that roadmap.
-Rocket Via Reddit

Hopefully they can get the boring as server side stuff out of the way, and move on to giving us kick ass features.

I don't know if it's a frequent occurrence as of late, or if it was a server specific anomaly, but things got a little strange in DayZ tonight.

My friend and I started out innocently enough, we were just looking to encounter other players and create unique experiences. So when I found a revolver, I knew what had to be done. It didn't have any bullets, but it was still efficient enough to hold up helpless players and force them to take off their pants.

Now before we really achieved this, we had noticed several default player models popping up around towns. They appeared infrequently, but still were unnerving with how often we saw them. They already counted as corpses, but they still bled when attacked, and they never stopped moving their heads in a slight, nodding gesture. We dubbed them the GAP models, due to the typical white t-shirt and blue jeans look they had.

After a few pant thefts from some terrified and baffled players, we realized how naive it was to move along the coast without a proper supply of food. At this point we had sort of ignored the GAP models, until my legs were broken by some unseen server-side glitch, our hunger turned to starvation and we noticed this pillar of judgement standing in the middle of a long road:
0CDAEE4718446CE25641DE14D5DA62355F42169C

At this point I accepted my fate and inched my way toward this ever-watching being. I had lain by its feet, looked up, and slowly starved to death with that lifeless, judgmental gaze staring into my soul.

The M.O.B

I can't stand third person shooter multiplayer games. Your enemies being able to see you without you having any way of seeing them is BS a thousand times over.

If you see me, then I should be able to see you if I look hard enough.

Period

Rocket needs to Lockit to First Person only.

Gruso

I don't know if it's a frequent occurrence as of late, or if it was a server specific anomaly, but things got a little strange in DayZ tonight.

My friend and I started out innocently enough, we were just looking to encounter other players and create unique experiences. So when I found a revolver, I knew what had to be done. It didn't have any bullets, but it was still efficient enough to hold up helpless players and force them to take off their pants.

Now before we really achieved this, we had noticed several default player models popping up around towns. They appeared infrequently, but still were unnerving with how often we saw them. They already counted as corpses, but they still bled when attacked, and they never stopped moving their heads in a slight, nodding gesture. We dubbed them the GAP models, due to the typical white t-shirt and blue jeans look they had.

After a few pant thefts from some terrified and baffled players, we realized how naive it was to move along the coast without a proper supply of food. At this point we had sort of ignored the GAP models, until my legs were broken by some unseen server-side glitch, our hunger turned to starvation and we noticed this pillar of judgement standing in the middle of a long road:

At this point I accepted my fate and inched my way toward this ever-watching being. I had lain by its feet, looked up, and slowly starved to death with that lifeless, judgmental gaze staring into my soul.
Love this post. And yep, lots of that weird corpse stuff happening. I played a mentally ill medic in Elektro today, running around without pants attempting to defibrillate them.

The corpse thing, yeah very bizarre. Me and my bro were walking along the road, and we saw a dead body up ahead, with what appeared to be his team mate prone next to him, getting up and down constantly, with about 3 zombies near them. We came up to them, capped the zombies thinking we were saving them, only to find it looked like a dead body glitch.

What made it more weird as the guys head turning to look at us, while going prone and back up. Tried bandaging him, it shown as "Unknown Entity". Shot him in the head to finally stop it from moving and carried on. Saw a few more on the way. Very odd !

SJRB

Gold Member
- Remove PvP
- Ban third person
- Ban Skype/Teamspeak
- Permaban everyone looting my corpse
- Saline bag myself
- Zombies give cuddles
- A personal driver drives you to high loot areas in a limousine

Get on it, Rocket.

EVIL

KAOz

Short bus special
Fuck. I have now become an agent of chaos.

Once again, I tried helping a dude by giving him bandages and stuff only for him to try to attack me. Ended up with me holding him up with an M4 while claiming (note: lying) I had a friend in the bushes with a Mosin aimed at him.
Tied him up on the road. Took all his weapons and food, then went into nearby random buildings and threw them out. Except his crowbar. I kept that with me.

Force-fed him disinfective, then left him on the road, still tied up. Fired off a few shots in hopes of attracting zombies or other players. Then darted off into the woods.

Faith

Fuck. I have now become an agent of chaos.

Once again, I tried helping a dude by giving him bandages and stuff only for him to try to attack me. Ended up with me holding him up with an M4 while claiming (note: lying) I had a friend in the bushes with a Mosin aimed at him.
Tied him up on the road. Took all his weapons and food, then went into nearby random buildings and threw them out. Except his crowbar. I kept that with me.

Force-fed him disinfective, then left him on the road, still tied up. Fired off a few shots in hopes of attracting zombies or other players. Then darted off into the woods.
This is why this game is so awesome!! :D

RhyDin

Radios have been added for direct communication between players. Other players can intercept and listen in on these communications.

So how does this work and what are good spots to pick these up?

Longshot

So I'm almost at the NE Airfield, what kind of gear can I expect to find, so long as I don't get shot?

I'm pretty much forced to play this on my HDTV as my network point in my room is dead, looks really good but it's not all that comfy lol.

Fistwell

So I'm almost at the NE Airfield, what kind of gear can I expect to find, so long as I don't get shot?
The usual, some army flavored clothing, maybe a rifle, probably 1 or more handguns, ammo, mountain backpack, soda, and if you're lucky an ammo box and some nice optics for your gun.

Edit: wait, what server are you on, I'll come over to rob you on your way out give you a hand. :D

Longshot

The usual, some army flavored clothing, maybe a rifle, probably 1 or more handguns, ammo, mountain backpack, soda, and if you're lucky an ammo box and some nice optics for your gun.

Edit: wait, what server are you on, I'll come over to rob you on your way out give you a hand. :D
Haha!

Currently playing on some Aussie server, I've logged off right now for good luck but I'm up all hours of the night due to a night shift roster.

sunofsam

I'm pretty much forced to play this on my HDTV as my network point in my room is dead, looks really good but it's not all that comfy lol.

Military clothing, backpacks, axes,medical supplies (in jail cell - check under the bed in FP and in the toilet sink); Mags for M4, M4; M4 accessories, Magnum.

Fistwell

Currently playing on some Aussie server, I've logged off right now for good luck but I'm up all hours of the night due to a night shift roster.
Australia eh? I'd totally jump in and gank your shit, but 300ms latency is just too painful.
good luck on your run :)

Just started to play it. A lot of times i get disconnected from the servers. Is that a known bug?
They were under some DDOS attack yesterday, the game's been behaving erratically for me since.

Edit: That is, even more so than usual.

Gruso

Just started to play it. A lot of times i get disconnected from the servers. Is that a known bug?
Servers restart every 2 to 4 hours [citation needed], and there aren't any warnings implemented yet. So you'll just suddenly lose connection. Had a bad run myself tonight - about four servers in a row restarted soon after I joined >.< frustrating.

red731

Takes a special form of talent to survive Balota AF but die from falling on one's ass from too high. ;)

Yeah. I logged in in the building I was yesterday, went to check other floors and when I was near the window, bam. I see myself flying to death.

I have a new dude which moaning and funny thing is I've got every other medical stuff except the antibiotics. I guess the rags from tshirt I made were infection carriers and now I moan and moan.

I've met two French dudes and they were fine - I was actualy thinking that all the countries have dickish players, but some less than others.

red731

these things normally arnt banned through punkbuster and co?

like during a search and destroy match in call of duty?

Are you like new to multiplayer or what? How can software securing game - punkbuster, etc., or internal anticheat solutions like VAC - affect other software running on your PC? Dude.

You can have two friends playing on opposite teams in games chicken out the positions of other players, etc.
Talking is useful, but could be also used to advantages and thus disadvantages to the others.

Longshot

these things normally arnt banned through punkbuster and co?

like during a search and destroy match in call of duty?
Most audio/video chat services are allowed in online games, yeah, I can see how it can be exploited a tad in DayZ, but I'd rather have tough anti-cheat software installed to curb out hackers, the mod became unplayable due to it.

Fistwell

I've met two French dudes
... did they surrender?

The moaning is kinda weird, it sometimes comes and goes for me. Do you have any special status like "sick" or whatever? I'll probably drop in later today, I should have some antibiotics somewhere. I'm over in cherno.

Martian

Have the specs been upped since the mod? It looks much prettier, and I remember having stutter issues on my (low-med) laptop.

If I could run the mod on low-med, would this game be possible as well? I know I can look up the specs of ARMA 2 and the Standalone, but a lot of mods require a more powerful machine

red731

... did they surrender?

The moaning is kinda weird, it sometimes comes and goes for me. Do you have any special status like "sick" or whatever? I'll probably drop in later today, I should have some antibiotics somewhere. I'm over in cherno.

Nope. We've talked, but parted our ways due to language barriers :D

Not sick or anything. I would know that - no chat massage ot inventory notification.
They should add like - "My wounds are wouding." "My wounds are looking worse." etc, to the chat to tell us wtf is going on.

so how does punkbuster/battleeye etc work exactly?

They are working in the games code (or on top of the game code) - let's say these anticheat solutions read the game like matrix and when something unordinary and abnormal happens in the code, they will go check it out, come with solution and based on what was wrong, they will possibly ban you.
But I took this from my head and not read it anywhere. You may also wiki it.

EVIL

If they remove third person view from the game ill never touch it again.

I remember rocket talking about severely limiting third person views, removing the crosshair, pulling the camera closer to you when you crouch and are close against things like walls so you cant look over or around them and even disabling third person when you are prone.

Can radios be used to locate friends easier?
if you have mumble, then no. Its just a way to communicate long distances, but with a chance of getting overheard.

Faith

I don't understand why people don't like the third person view. How does it provide an unfair advantage when it's available to everyone all the same.
There are situations where you see the other player and he can't see you, both in 3rd person.

Longshot

if you have mumble, then no. Its just a way to communicate long distances, but with a chance of getting overheard.
So what's the best way to team up with friends when you both are fresh spawns? This almost always makes play by myself.

Is that a bad thing? I just don't like to play when it's dark, in every game.

I just find it funny how arbitrarily people react to realism in this game. This game is to me about getting out of your comfort zone. Perma death around every corner. Having to work to keep alive and the constant fear of getting spotted. 1st person view and nighttime add to this feeling.

The most popular servers are the ones that make things easier. 3PP:eek:ff servers and nighttime servers are often at the bottom of the list. But I guess it's part of why people make use of glitches or cheat. Kind of ironic if I think about the reasons that I play the game.

But to be honest. I also fiddle with the gamma and brightness on a nighttime server. And I do use 3rd person when it's available. But I also actively search for 1st person servers and I love playing in the dark. If only for the abundance of loot and occasional server hopper to be neutralized. I guess we all are a bit hypocritical when it comes to this game.;)

Faith

But to be honest. I also fiddle with the gamma and brightness on a nighttime server. And I do use 3rd person when it's available. But I also actively search for 1st person servers and I love playing in the dark. If only for the abundance of loot and occasional server hopper to be neutralized. I guess we all are a bit hypocritical when it comes to this game.;)
Main problem of nightime servers. It's actually a daytime server in grey scales.

EVIL

So what's the best way to team up with friends when you both are fresh spawns? This almost always makes play by myself.

Use the map on dayzdb.com and try to find where you are. have your buddies do the same and find a central part between the location of you and your buddy and meet up there.

Top Bottom