• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Comics forbids Batwoman's gay marriage, creative team leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think what frustrates me the most is that this happened and I was so happy:

tumblr_mioeo6iiQV1qbdyyio1_500.png

And then suddenly, "nah, nevermind." Fuck you DC. I suppose I do see it more of an anti-marriage thing rather than an anti-gay statement but it still hurts. :(

:(

I was so filled with anger when Rucka was booted offof Punisher. He was doing a phenomenal job on the book. Plus, Punisher vs The Avengers was fantastic.

I haven't even touched Thunderbolts. Fuck that. I miss Rucka :(

Man, his take was probably the best non-Max Punisher was ever going to be. Thunderbolts being entirely trash didn't help any.

Riposte

Damn, Greg Rucka is one of the best. Really loved Checkmate, back then. Can't be this hard to stop bleeding talent.

DC's editorial team are the ones than banned Cassandra Cain from being used when multiple writers asked to use her.
screw them.

I'll buy any (decent) comic with Cain in it. I don't even buy comics anymore. Just sayin' DC.

Pau

Fair point. The shifters I was fine with, but something about Medusa, combined with Kate working with the DEO, never quite resonated with me the way Elegy did.

I can't quite put it into words, but something about a Bat-clan title featuring primarily supernatural villains (who never really drew me in) after something like Alice. Not a bad thing by any means, but I think the series just ended up going in a slightly different direction than I was anticipating.

Kate is awesome enough to make up for it, though.
Yeah, It comes down to personal preferences. Personally, I like the more fantastical elements in Batman comics but I realize I'm in the minority there. :p

Kaldea

This is the only comic I actually read regularly. Can't get enough of the art and I have a thing for red hair/actually interesting female characters.

This sucks.

Savitar

DC and Marvel are both rather anti marriage for the most part, it's why Superman and Spiderman both had their undone. One via a reboot and the other by the devil. Their excuse and complaint is often "It makes them unrelatable to young readers" yet we know most comic readers are not young kids and even if they were why would they have issue with someone being married? It was never an issue for me. To me that's life. It fits.

Yet comic writers often HATE the whole marriage thing, even Waid who is a huge Superman fan didn't like the marriage.

DC and Marvel are both rather anti marriage for the most part, it's why Superman and Spiderman both had their undone. One via a reboot and the other by the devil. Their excuse and complaint is often "It makes them unrelatable to young readers" yet we know most comic readers are not young kids and even if they were why would they have issue with someone being married? It was never an issue for me. To me that's life. It fits.

Yet comic writers often HATE the whole marriage thing, even Waid who is a huge Superman fan didn't like the marriage.

Yeah, where the hell are Ralph and Sue Dinby after the reboot? Fucking DC :(

I think Rucka is done with the big two in general for the immediate future, I know Marvel pissed him off when they essentially took what he was doing with the Punisher and let Daniel Way(of all people) put him on his terrible Thunderbolts book.

I don't believe that Marvel is a perfect creative utopia and that there isn't any creative/editorial conflict there, but Rucka's Punisher was selling badly enough that it would have been cancelled within a few issues regardless of Thunderbolts.

It's not gay marriage, as just MARRIAGE altogether. DC is anti-marriage for any of its heroes, right now.

They're pretty much against anything that threatens the "youthful" vibe they're going for with their heroes.

Superman's marriage was erased, and he quit his job.

Flash's marriage was erased.

Aquaman got to keep his wife, but abdicated his throne.

Arsenal's daughter was erased from continuity.

Batman's son was killed off (I realize this was planned from the beginning, but still...)

Green Arrow is too young for Conner Hawke to exist, Alan Scott is too young for Jade and Obsidian to exist.

Amanda Waller was changed from a middle aged, plus sized mother who was inspired by the children she lost to crime into a sexy young secret agent.

I'm sure there were more, but these are the ones I can think of off hand. Any signs of maturity or adulthood are erased in the name of youthfulness.

Marvel's guilty of it as well. Jean Grey was killed so Cyclops could start sleeping with Emma Frost. Spider-Man sold his marriage to the devil. The only superheroes who are allowed to stay married are Reed Richards and Sue Storm.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "gay" part of gay marriage. If that was the case, we wouldn't have Batwoman, the new Alan Scott, Bunker, or Midnighter and Apollo in the new DC Universe. I think it has much more to do with the "marriage" part, because heroes aren't allowed to settle down.

God damn bullshit. I love the characters in the stable and some of the talent they currently have but this has been hard times lately. Might be time to call it quits.

eastmen

Banned
A huge number of characters were rebooted and their personalities, backstories, etc. changed. Plus, people are constantly experimenting and learning more about their sexualities. It's really not that unrealistic for a character who has previously described themselves as heterosexual change that later on in life.

Thankfully I droped comics a long time ago. I don't get the need to take existing characters and change them. Just invent new ones.

PsychBat!

Banned
I was so filled with anger when Rucka was booted offof Punisher. He was doing a phenomenal job on the book. Plus, Punisher vs The Avengers was fantastic.

I haven't even touched Thunderbolts. Fuck that. I miss Rucka :(

Holy shit, do I agree with you there. Rucka got me back in to the Punisher and then Marvel forced him to end the series with War Zone.

I hate the new Thunderbolts.

On topic:

Marvel did good here though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, this specific situation is more to do with DC's ongoing editorial stupidity and insanity than anything else. The whole company is a damn mess.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah because Marvel isn't having two "WORLD CHANGING" events going on right now.

hey, time travel is a bitch.

Holy shit, do I agree with you there. Rucka got me back in to the Punisher and then Marvel forced him to end the series with War Zone.

I hate the new Thunderbolts.

On topic:

Marvel did good here though.

everytime i see that cover, im remided what fucking douchebags the x-men are. they dressed nice for scott and jeans wedding

when I was 5 in 1986 I started reading DC, and that was right after post Crisis. I grew up with those characters but also read the pre-Crisis ones as well.
when DC decided the the post COIE world was done I dropped DC because I knew it would not be my DC anymore. I guess that's how a reader in 1985 must have felt. maybe one day DC will cycle back to COIE style but i'm not so sure as long as Harras is in charge.

pa22word

Well, that's just petty.

...not really.

You don't just publicly throw your employer under the bus like that and not expect a response like this. Regardless of how stupid things are internally, you handle it internally. The second you take matters public is the second you start farming out your resume, and even then you're trashing your hire-ability because no one wants someone on the inside with a track record of airing dirty laundry.

Robbler

Banned
Yea but both those events only involve a few books each, Forever Evil took over everything

It's for one month to capitalize on the Friday the 13th of September. And they're .1 issues like Marvel does all the time. Most of the books it's 23.1, but Batman will have 23.2, 3, and 4.

October all the books are back to Issue 24.

It's completely different than Age of Ultron, Infinity, and the X-Men thing they have going on in Marvel right now.

Infinity covers the Avengers books and Atom the X-Men books. The only big line that's spared is Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom