• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
FoS 2 is no joke. I can't seem to get into a pug group willing to stick through it after the 2nd boss wipes us.

The raid is gorgeous though, here's a couple of screenshots I took:

DC%252520Universe%252520Online.jpg

Weenerz

Banned
Have they released anymore information as to when this will be going F2P? I have an MMO itch and SWTOR beta is not scratching it.

Weenerz said:
Have they released anymore information as to when this will be going F2P? I have an MMO itch and SWTOR beta is not scratching it.

Just sometime in the next three weeks, if their schedule is to be believed.

Killthee

NihonTiger90 said:
Just sometime in the next three weeks, if their schedule is to be believed.
My guess is on the 1st. The Subway promo kicks in on the 1st, the current Legends promo ends on the 1st, and it's also a Tuesday (PS Store updates on Tuesday in NA).

kai3345

Banned
So this game goes freetoplay in a few days. Anyone goign to jump back in?

I know I am. I loved the game but it just wasnt worth 15 bucks a month. But now that its free, yippie!

kai3345 said:

I know I am. I loved the game but it just wasnt worth 15 bucks a month. But now that its free, yippie!

I'm gonna jump back in! At least until Arkham City.

Jagxyz

kai3345 said:

I am! Played the beta and after release for a while, and it was great to play... although it was quite repetitive from 1 - 30.

LowerLevel

kai3345 said:

I even went so far as to get the Ps3 version as well! Also re-downloaded my Steam version before they took it down...

If you're on the PC side and you're a hero, let me know. I'll help you out if you have any questions.

Well, villains, too. But I'm mostly on my heroes.

kai3345 said:
Is it true that there's only one PS3 and one PC server for everyone now?

One US PC, one US PS3, one EU PC, one EU PS3, split into PvE and PvP "instances", so to speak. Reason was because while the population wasn't too terrible, spread across 8-9 servers on the PC side, it was feeling empty a lot of times before the merge.

Killthee

wwm0nkey said:
So when is it going F2P, thought it was going to be today.
Nothing new, SOE's PR has jumped the gun and let dates leak multiple times now. I highly doubt X-Play pulled Oct 19th as the launch date from their ass, someone must have given them that date. FWIW, it seems like the 18th/19th actually was the planned launch date. They updated all the sub packages in the NA PS Store with the new "Legendary" title yesterday.

My guess is SCEE is somehow holding them up.

Killthee said:
Nothing new, SOE's PR has jumped the gun and let dates leak multiple times now. I highly doubt X-Play pulled Oct 19th as the launch date from their ass, someone must have given them that date. FWIW, it seems like the 18th/19th actually was the planned launch date. They updated all the sub packages in the NA PS Store with the new "Legendary" title yesterday.

It was Geoff Johns from DC who said the date. Sounds like internal miscommunication.

Killthee

HarryDemeanor said:
It was Geoff Johns from DC who said the date. Sounds like internal miscommunication.
He didn't actually say it, the guy from X-Play said it over a video clip of the game. They've done this before though, jumped the gun and announce a date via some marketing media (the catwoman teaser video and the GL Gamestop promo come to mind) and then act like they never said/meant that date when the date passes and nothing has been released. Usually it's PS3 QA holding them back so it wouldn't surprise me if that's whats happening again. Look's like they're not gonna risk missing the late Oct date for PC though cause the PC version is getting an update today that puts in place most of the F2P foundation.

Mepps said:
The US and EU PC servers will be brought down for an update and DB maintenance on October 20th, 2011. The estimated downtime for this maintenance is approximately 8 hours. The update adds new features and addresses a number of Live bugs. Please be sure to read the update notes for details. The extended DB maintenance is in preparation for the Free-to-Play launch which will be coming soon. The schedule for this maintenance is as follows:
  • 8:00AM PST/11:00AM EST /4:00PM BST USPC and EUPC Servers Brought down for Maintenance
  • 4:00PM PST/7:00PM EST/12:00AM BST USPC and EUPC Servers Available for Play

We will update the forums during the day to keep you informed of the progress and any changes in schedule.

RadarX said:
New Radial Menu added! To use, hold down Esc/Backslash/Start and move the mouse or analog stick to highlight an option and release to select. The Radial menu will close if the Radial menu button is released without choosing an option.

New Welcome Message Screen added! Please check for important DC Universe Online messages, including the latest patch notes, in the Welcome Message screen. To access, select Welcome Message on the Character Select screen.

New items added to the Marketplace! A new shipment of exciting items has arrived in the Marketplace. To access, select the Marketplace icon on your PDA or Radial Menu.

General:

• Fixed an issue where players sometimes could not purchase items from the Auction House.
  • Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause a player to rally instantly.
  • Made improvements to the Chat system to improve stability under heavy load.
  • Fixed a potential crash while using the Broker.
  • There is now an error message displayed when players attempt to phase into the phase they are already in.
  • Items that cannot be deleted are now able to be placed in the bank.

Acrobat:

• Acrobat Glide should no longer shut off unexpectedly when in use.

Nature:

• Primal Wolf Form: The Slam attack is now vulnerable to block as intended.

Fire:

• Stoke Flames will now reset the combo counter as intended.

Alerts:

HIVE Moon Base:

• Queen Bee will now properly call each reinforcement wave to protect her hive and players will no longer be blocked from progression.

Ace Chemicals Hard Mode:

• The loot chest that was unbreakable is now breakable.

Raids:

Fortress of Solitude: Power Core

• The Prime Assassin has upgraded his Crystal Formations. Crystal Formations will now fully charge the Prime Assassin if not destroyed in time. Fully Charged, the Prime Assassin receives the full assistance of the Shards while the Shards form into additional Sunstone Assassins.
  • Fixed an issue where the instance could become unplayable.

Feats:

• Smallville: The speed feat for the alert will no longer update on zone in.
  • The description for the feat "All Trinked Out" has been changed for increased clarity.
  • Oan Sciencells, STAR Labs Research Facility, Coast City and Batcave: Outer Caverns Alert now count towards the Complete # of Alerts feats.

UI:
  • Profanity filter can now be toggled in the UI settings menu.
  • Optimized memory.
  • Fixed an issue where Invites to custom chat channels would go through even if the inviting player was being ignored.
  • Fixed an issue where the pet health bar sometimes would not disappear after the pet had died.
  • Players should no longer be informed that they are being ignored by the target of their group invite, guild invite and trade invite.

Marketplace:
  • Items in the marketplace that you cannot buy because you have already purchased them should now be labeled as "purchased".
  • The order completion popup window will now tell you if you need to pick up your item in the claim window, or if it has been placed in your inventory.
  • Fixed a bug that was causing a performance issue while in the Marketplace.
  • A legendary button has been added to the Marketplace in preparation for Free to Play.

Visual:
  • Fixed a visual effect issue that would sometimes occur when switching forms.
  • Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause other players to appear as though they were stuck in an animation.
  • Players should now always see each other when grouped.
PVP:

General:
  • Fixed minor environment art issues within the Batcave 2v2 PVP map.
  • The names of some PVP trinkets have been changed for increased clarity.

Legends:

Bane:
  • Venom Slap no longer causes Supercharge gain but now causes increased AOE damage and damage over time. The amount of supercharge Bane gains from attacking and knocking out opponents has been re-tuned.
  • Bane’s critical hit chance while pumped up with venom has been reduced. Pumping up with venom now causes Bane to restore some health and he also gains the breakout effect during the transition offering him brief protection from knock down and control effects.

Dueling:
  • The player will now be messaged properly when they enter combat that their duel availability has been disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where pets were sometimes not attacking opposing players while dueling.
  • Fixed an issue where the “Out of Area” message would sometimes persist after zoning during a duel.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Killthee said:

It was never official, don't blame SoE for that. They said October, nothing else.

Killthee

Iadien said:
It was never official, don't blame SoE for that. They said October, nothing else.
I understand that it was never officially announced as the date, but someone gave X-Play that date and the DCUO twitter account even posted a link to the video. I love this game and have a great amount of respect for all the developers working on it, but I just don't understand why the marketing/community relations is so terrible. Time and time again they've given us dates via third parties/interviews, stayed quiet as people speculate about the impending release, and then wait for the last possible second to announce the content has been delayed/clarify their position. They've done this too many times for me to just give them the benefit of the doubt once again. The people in charge of marketing/community just don't seem to be in sync with the developers. Deadmeat's developer thread/FB post on the issue should have been what was posted last week to clarify the miscommunication instead of RadarX's "No official date, take everything with a grain of salt" post he buried in a random forum thread.

With that said, looks like the PS3 update will happen early next week at the earliest and there's also a list of all the new Marketplace items over at the forums (Legends PvP Future Batman/Harley Quinn characters are listed as $10 each).

Killthee

NihonTiger90 said:
Are those "cosmic" parts just the regular styles (angelic, etc.) except you can pay for them now?
It sounds like it, my guess is they're all alternate skin styles that probably wont count toward the regular vanilla style feats. The "Cosmic" sets probably use the same template as the current vanilla styles with the Cosmic texture (the star skin sold on the Marketplace) instead of the vanilla texture.

Killthee said:
It sounds like it, my guess is they're all alternate skin styles that probably wont count toward the regular vanilla style feats. The "Cosmic" sets probably use the same template as the current vanilla styles with the Cosmic texture (the star skin sold on the Marketplace) instead of the vanilla texture.

I had thoughts about that as well possibly being the case.

Anyways, I have 2500 points to spend (free stuff is awesome), so I'll check it out.

Killthee

Iadien said:
Why are you so sure someone gave x-play that date? sites make up release dates all the time.
A couple of reasons, first and foremost SOE's track record. They've announced dates prematurely before via third parties and other media only to backtrack when PS3 QA holds them up. The Catwoman teaser video that had it's date silently removed when the update got pushed back and the delay announcement that was released at the last minute, the Update 2 interviews promising monthly updates/Update 2 in March and then the backtracking that followed when April hit and the content still wasn't out, the Fight for the Light release date fiasco that occurred when they canceled the Gamestop promo without ever even acknowledging/denying it to the community. Time and time again they've had a problem delivering a message clearly and all of those past screw ups and this current one could have been avoided had they clarified themselves asap instead of burying their heads in the sand and waiting till the last second to clarify themselves.

Second, it wasn't some random site, it was a tv interview with the principal writer and it was promoted through the DCUO official twitter account. Maybe I'm giving X-Play too much credit but I fail to see why they would pull a date out of their ass.

Third, there's way too many announcements going on this week for the date to have been a coincidence. The PC update coming out today, the F2P webcast/launch date reveal announced today and scheduled for next week, and the sub renaming that occurred on the 18th. The sub renaming is the biggest tell IMO, I don't think it was a coincidence that they renamed the subs with the new F2P name and unlocked them on the PS Store for all accounts on that date (they used to be locked and only purchasable by people who had redeemed a CD key).

My guess is someone at SOE told X-Play the targeted date, PS3 QA (probably SCEE) forced them to push it back, but they don't want to break the late Oct announcement so they're gearing up for the PC launch and NA PS3 launch instead of crossing their fingers and hoping it clears SCEE QA before the month is over. I understand they never officially announced the 19th as the launch date, but my issue really isn't about the date. My gripe is with the communication issues they can't seem to shake off. Instead of stomping out the rumor asap they helped spread it by linking to the video. Burying the clarification in a random forum thread was not the way this should have been handled. Like I said before, Deadmeat's Developer thread/Facebook post today should have been RadarX's response last week.

Has there been any talk about giving paying members a download version of the game? Having to put the disk in is really turning me off from playing when there are so many other games coming out now.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Has there been any talk about giving paying members a download version of the game? Having to put the disk in is really turning me off from playing when there are so many other games coming out now.

Yeah, I think there will be a client download for everyone, like with Champions Online.

HarryDemeanor said:
They just announced that November 1st is the launch date for F2P.

No surprise there given the last week or so; I think I'd assumed they'd aim for Nov. 1 because it's the start of the month. I expect the forums will still be saying "OMG YOU LIED IT'S NOVEMBER NOT OCTOBER I HATE YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!" :p

NihonTiger90 said:
No surprise there given the last week or so; I think I'd assumed they'd aim for Nov. 1 because it's the start of the month. I expect the forums will still be saying "OMG YOU LIED IT'S NOVEMBER NOT OCTOBER I HATE YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!" :p
Hehe. It's already begun based on the Stickam chat.

Killthee

SuperSonic1305 said:
Client download will be free so anyone will be able to download it. Hopefully they fix the sub issue they had with the PSN version when they added it to the store. If you had a disc copy and you purchased the PSN version, the 30 day trial from the PSN version was considered a sub upgrade causing people to lose their Legends subs : /

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Weenerz said:
Do we know what time this is going F2P? I know it's November 1st, but still.

No estimate because it's just a bit more complicated than a normal patch. Servers will be brought down 4 am PST though.

Killthee

Iadien said:
No estimate because it's just a bit more complicated than a normal patch. Servers will be brought down 4 am PST though.
Looks like the update might cause some issues for other PC Station games as well.

Danicia said:
Maintenance Notice: Tuesday, November 1, 2011

We will perform maintenance on all games and services beginning at 4:00 a.m. US Pacific Time on November 1, 2011. You may experience the following:

• Logins for all games, websites, and forums may be unavailable between 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. US Pacific Time.
  • Commerce transactions, including purchases on our websites and in-game marketplaces, may be unavailable between 4:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. US Pacific Time.

We apologize for this interruption and will resume all affected services as soon as the maintenance is completed.

Does anybody of you know if the EU PSN store will get the game November 1 or do you think it will be updated on wednesday cause of the regular store update?
Will i be able to play with EU friends if i dl the game in the US store?

Killthee

RaGMasTeR90 said:
Does anybody of you know if the EU PSN store will get the game November 1 or do you think it will be updated on wednesday cause of the regular store update?
Will i be able to play with EU friends if i dl the game in the US store?
I think all the servers are being updated at the same time but EU PS3 download probably wont be up till tomorrow when the store is updated. You definitely wont be able to play on the EU servers with the US download though. The PS3 version doesn't have a server select option, it just automatically connects to the designated server.

kai3345

Banned
So uh, its supposed to be F2P today but I'm still getting "Subscription required" from the launcher.

Also is the PS3 download going to be free? Like is it going totally free to play? Or is it going Guild Wars style, where you just pay one flat fee for the game itself.

Killthee

kai3345 said:
So uh, its supposed to be F2P today but I'm still getting "Subscription required" from the launcher.

Also is the PS3 download going to be free? Like is it going totally free to play? Or is it going Guild Wars style, where you just pay one flat fee for the game itself.
They're updating their backend and the game right now, it'll be F2P once the maintenance is over.

The PS3 download will be free and should be posted on the PS Store in a couple of hours.

kai3345

Banned
Killthee said:
They're updating their backend and the game right now, it'll be F2P once the maintenance is over.

The PS3 download will be free and should be posted on the PS Store in a couple of hours.
Hm.

Anyone know which version is better?

PS3 seems like it would be better from a control standpoint, but PC lets you communicate with your teammates in an instance easier.

Killthee

kai3345 said:
Hm.

Anyone know which version is better?

PS3 seems like it would be better from a control standpoint, but PC lets you communicate with your teammates in an instance easier.
PC looks better, is more stable, and you can use a controller with it. PS3 version has less PvP cheaters (macros are apparently a big issue in the PC version).

Killthee said:
PC looks better, is more stable, and you can use a controller with it. PS3 version has less PvP cheaters (macros are apparently a big issue in the PC version).
Yeah I've been doing some Legends PvP on the PC version and it's a problem. Every time I get into a match I cannot attack the 4th member of their team. Their name is stuck in purple which makes me unable to target them. It's a real pain in the ass.

kai3345

Banned
I just remember some of the combos being hard to do with a mouse. Seems like they'd be easier with a controller. Does it support a 360 pad?

Top Bottom