• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Grinchy said:
The amount of money I have dumped into this broken game makes me so angry, yet I keep checking this thread and seeing these updates that look nice :(

That radial menu looks great.

It does for me, too, but then I realize that I'm in a good league with good people and it makes some of the pain go away.

Plus, most of our league is going off to SW:TOR when that launches, at least part-time. :)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
US PS3 MegaFail/Fight for the Light Sitckam Chat is this Thursday.

20110824-jk3xin7a6sa8fkqmpg6h2bq3m.jpg

DrBo42

Mercury Fred said:
It's a lot like being in an abusive relationship with someone really hot who's working out regularly and going to grad school but has violent mood swings and an on again/ off again heroin addiction.
Want to create a thread about it in the OT? We're here for you.

Killthee

Ugh.

DeadMeat said:
PS3 Server Issues Update 8/24/22

Sorry for having been offline for a few days. This has been an extremely hectic period as we have been feverishly trying to resolve some of the lingering issues with the US PS3 server. I wanted to give you an update on where exactly we are and what we are doing.

Currently there are two principal issues on the PS3 servers which you are probably quite aware of.

• Chat can slow down and get into a non-responsive state.
  • Database performance can degrade causing long wait times to load characters and get into the game.

The causes of the issues are very low level and only exhibit at high populations. On a number of occasions one or both of these problems has forced us to restart the game servers in order to ensure a good playing experience. Believe me, it is a very painful decision to restart the servers with so many people online, but not being able to effectively communicate with your friends and team mates or excessive login lag does not lend itself to a good play experience.

Because these problems are at such a low level, fixing them has been a slow and careful process as we do want not any of these changes to break other aspects of the game. Unfortunately I know that it feels like we are not doing things fast enough to address these issues but I did want you to know that the server team has been working hard on this for many long days and nights. When we have fixes that we feel will improve the play experience we have and will continue to release them as quickly as possible.

In order to ensure the best possible experience for now, we will be limiting total population on the server. My apologies in advance if you find yourself in a login queue. As soon as we feel confident we can tolerate higher loads we will remove the cap.

DeadMeat said:
DCUO Gen said:
I believe DeadMeat has just stated that once the population hits "full" or whatever is the max capacity, people will no longer be let in until someone gets off. For each person that logs out, one can enter.

Is that what you meant by population cap?

Yes. That is correct.

Server just went down again and it doesn't look like this is getting fixed any time soon.....

CozMick

Banned
Snippets from the latest webcast talking about Update 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWP3YaTkBgM

SOE said:
Update 5:

-Fortress 2 with Supergirl, Power Girl, Bizarro and General Zod, will require more strategy & communication

-HIVE Moonbase Hard Alert

-Dueling

-Batcave 2v2 Map for Character PvP

Other nuggets of info:

-Many apologies and thanks for our patience during the Megaserver transfer

- Fortress 1 will have its difficulty upped - they want it closer to the level of Inner Batcave

-Fight for the Light hasn't gone live on the test servers because they're using them to work out all of the USPS3 Megaserver kinks. No release date yet because of it.

-They are considering League Headquarters and other League-centric content

- Beta Emblem coming 'very soon'

- Marketing wants a Halloween seasonal event

- They're working on new Legends characters

- They're working on more open world content

- They're trying to decide how to address the queue imbalances (heroes and villains queuing together?)

Sounds like a decent sized update to me, looking forward to it :)

Killthee

CozMick said:
Snippets from the latest webcast talking about Update 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWP3YaTkBgM

Sounds like a decent sized update to me, looking forward to it :)
I feel the opposite. Everything outside of FoS 2 feels like a rehash and it just left me wondering what happened to all the new content they promised before launch.

Why aren't we getting any new alerts, duo's, challenge rooms, legends characters, legends maps? Why does it sound like they didn't have anything planned for Halloween? What happened to the featured character of the month thing they did with the first two updates that gave us the Catwoman & Two Face challenge rooms/Legends characters/styles/feats? Why is Jens talking about charging money for Legends Krypto? Isn't the $15 per month fee enough?

That webcast was seriously depressing. Not only have they tossed out the monthly update promise out the window, now they're starting to toss out the new content promise they made with it. I have this nagging feeling that the DLC packs were planned as the quarterly content updates they mentioned before launch and that when the sub numbers tanked, they decided to charge for them. U5 should be Fight for the Light + the stuff mentioned in the webcast. With all the issues the PS3 version has had since launch, the Station/PSN hack, the delayed update schedule, and TOR right around the corner they should be working extra hard to keep people interested in the game instead of driving us away.

Yea paid expansion, items for the cash shop, and slimmer content updates? Seriously and when the game is going through so many technical issues and declining sub base? Adding in new Hard Mode alerts that are just the old alerts with a new difficulty? That really feels lazy.

Fight for the Light doesn't even sound worth it, it sounds like a bit bigger content update and it's sad when we are getting less and less with the current updates. Heck they could split up the new stuff in Fight for the light and use it for 2 months of content updates and it wouldn't seem like an "expansion" at all.

Question: I have a friend that's willing to give me his DCUO account. If I have his login will I be able to download the client and re-sub or will I need to buy a copy of the game first?

Fight For the Light coming next week 9/6 and FREE for all current subscribers!!

Finally! The long awaited expansion pack for DC Universe Online has a set release date.

Fight For The Light, the upcoming expansion pack for the action MMORPG DC Universe Online, will be released next week on September 6th. The expansion pack will include four new alerts, new iconic heroes and villains, new armor sets and of course, Hard Light powers.

Over the past couple of weeks, PS3 owners of DCUO have been having difficulties playing the game since the megaservers, with the server constantly being shut down, sometimes without notice. As a reward for our patience and being loyal players, SOE will give active DCUO subscribers the expansion pack free of charge.

In Fight For The Light, players team up with either the Green Lantern Corps or Sinestro Corps to take down the evil Red Lantern Corps.

http://igogaming.net/2011/09/01/dc-...-the-light-expansion-pack-has-a-release-date/

BattleMonkey said:
So does the light set of power have it's own unique mentors or is it tied to one of the other mentors?
Well, none of the powersets have their own mentors. As far as I understand it, no, there won't be new mentors with FFTL.

Killthee

Mercury Fred said:
Fight For the Light coming next week 9/6 and FREE for all current subscribers!!

http://igogaming.net/2011/09/01/dc-...-the-light-expansion-pack-has-a-release-date/
Finally some freaking good news.

Chriswok said:
Has the 60 free days offer ended for PC users?
It ended yesterday. If you logged in before the cutoff time, you should have the 60 days added to your account.

Mercury Fred said:
Well, none of the powersets have their own mentors. As far as I understand it, no, there won't be new mentors with FFTL.
Yup. I think Jens recently said that if they ever add new mentors they would come with a level cap increase so I don't see new mentors being added before the Brainiac storyline is completed.

Killthee

Looks like the balance changes are going up right now:

General
  • Gear should now be consistently better as you progress from Duos, to T1 Hard Mode Alert loot, to Tier 1 marks Gear, to T2 Hard Mode Alerts/Raids loot, to T2 marks Gear to Tier 3 Raids loot and finally to Tier 3 marks gear.
  • Fixed the Tier 2 Alert Dominance requirements which were too high.
  • Adjusted the stat allocations on a number of items that had extremely unbalanced amounts of Might, Precision, Restoration or Vitalization.
  • Stats on all Epic quality Tier gear purchased with marks have been increased.
  • Stats on Tier 1 and Tier 2 Epic quality PvP gear have been increased.
  • Stats on the Tier 2 Hard Mode Alerts have been increased.
  • Stats on the Epic quality Tier 1 Hard Mode Alert gear have been decreased.
  • Minor adjustments were made to the stat allocations of other gear.
  • Trinket effects no longer apply growth and will no longer interrupt combat with a forced revert to normal animation. They no longer apply flat percentage bonuses but apply a flat bonus based on the tier they are earned.
  • Optimizations and various fixes to improve client stability

Powers & Weapon Skills

• The following abilities no longer stack with themselves: Downdraft, Inferno, Wintry Tempest and Circle of Protection in damage role
  • Reduced the damage penalty for being in healing role to 25%.
  • Tank Role: Burning Determination, Winter Ward, Burnout and Shatter Restraints now all remove and prevent Controller debuffing effects for eight seconds and apply five seconds of Breakout.
  • Control Role: Debuffs applied by Stasis Field, Thought Bubble and Horrific Visage will now properly persist after the target breaks out.
  • Iconic Powers: Amazonian Deflection now adds 5000 Defense and Toughness rather than a flat amount of Mitigation.

Fire
  • Increased the cool down of Meteor and reduced the length of time the meteor object remains in the world.
  • Fire tank secondary health buffs should no longer occasionally bleed over to group members.
Gadgets
  • Gadgets turrets will now attack targets recently damaged by their owners rather than whatever they are most angry at. This means they will no longer sit there brooding over subdued targets that can no longer be attacked.
  • Stasis field now properly states that it reduces defense while in Control role.

Ice
  • Lowered cost of Hibernation to 35% supercharge
  • The cost of Freeze ray has been reduced to 35% supercharge.

Martial Arts
  • Corrected an issue with Shuriken Storm and adjusted its damage to bring it in line with other ranged combos.

Mental
  • Pyrokinesis now properly states that it reduces healing while in Control role.
  • Telekinesis no longer applies a Defense debuff bringing it in line with other 1st rank controller powers.

Nature
  • Gorilla Form: You now cannot earn supercharge while in Gorilla Form, the cost has been raised to 35% supercharge and the ability now has a 60 second cool down. Stomp Smash is now vulnerable to interrupt. The ranged tap ability has been updated, is now also a Block Breaker but vulnerable to interrupt.
  • Wolf Form: Leaping Backfist is now vulnerable to Interrupt.
  • Wolf Form: Increased damage bonus to 40% and reduced the critical hit damage bonus received when you KO an enemy.
  • Prehistoric Might no longer applies a critical hit bonus.
  • Hive Mind now increases Restoration by 270 instead of a flat percentage and no longer applies critical hit bonuses.
  • Insectoid form damage penalty reduced to 25%
  • Carnage now increases Precision by 115 and no longer applies critical hit damage bonuses

Sorcery
  • Transcendence is no longer vulnerable to interrupt mechanics.

Dual Pistol

• Full Auto will now cause damage to targets it block breaks. This only block breaks your current target and the block break is no longer a continous effect.

Legends PvP

• Precision and Weaponization scores are now better balanced to be more in line with Might scores.
  • Health was increased for all Legends characters.
  • The Legends Soder Cola amount of healing has been increased.
  • De-buff effects were removed from Legends character abilities. Unlike player character PvP where there are mechanics in place to allow the removal de-buffs, there are no such mechanics in place in Legends.
  • Block breaking effects were removed from Legends super powers, as block breaking is only intended to be possible with weapon attacks.
  • Cool downs and deploy times on many abilities were adjusted to bring them in line with similar abilities.
  • Balanced the damage on abilities that were dramatically out of scale with other abilities.
  • Abilities that did not cause damage now do, and scale with other abilities of that type.
  • The Legends Joker character now has acrobatics while using the 1-handed weapon.
  • The Legends Joker and Two-Face characters will now call all three of their goons instead of just one

PvP

• PvP Weapons with slow animating Block Break abilities are now also able to Block Break with their ranged tap abilities too after they have purchased their regular block breaking ability. However, their range tap abilities are now immediately vulnerable to interrupt instead of being vulnerable only after repeated use. This change affects Brawling, Dual Wield and Two handed.
  • Tier 2 PvP weapons now add 352 Precision when used against players rather thn a global damage buff.
  • PvP trinkets now remove both regular and role specific PvP debuffing effects applied by player super powers.
  • The Moon (5v5): Fixed an issue that could allow players to move at full speed while transporting the unstable element on the Moon.

Alerts

• The Batcave Outer Caverns Alert: The loot lock-out timer is now 24 hours, instead of 7 days.
  • Arkham Asylum Alert: Charmed Doctors and Inmates now have extended range when defending the Poison Ivy wing.
  • Added to the loot drop tables of the Hard Mode Area 51, Smallville, Stryker's Island, and the JLA Watchtower Containment / Hall of Doom Armory.

Raids

• Increased the difficulty of NPCs in the Fortress of Solitude level Raid.

Missions
  • Falcone Warehouse: When releasing Falcone Thugs they should now say one of four lines instead of the same line repeatedly.
  • East End Lighthouse: Fixed an issue that was causing clients to crash.
  • John Bolaris is back and can be found again in the Tomorrow District.

Styles

• Healers can now get the Back piece for the Seraph style set from the Smallville T1 Alert.

UI

• League names should now appear overhead immediately after forming a League.
  • Fixed a bug where the group member Mini Map icon would sometimes not show up when a group member phased.

I've been really interested in playing this for a while, but I've been wanting to give it a try first. And the expansion sounds like some good news. Does anyone still have a buddy code left over?

CozMick

Banned
Deadmeat said:
The EU PS3 issue is complicated. The PSN system uses entitlements that each region (SCEA, SCEE, etc) setup separately. There is a bug that was causing entitlements (things you have bought) to be passed incorrectly to the client. A lot of the issues were seemingly fixed in the worldwide PSN maintenance about 10 days ago but there are still a few problems. We have been working with SCEE to resolve them and we have made great progress in the last couple of days. I am not confident enough to say that we are about done but it does look better.

I will keep the EU community updated on the progress (not in this thread). I definitely want you guys to get the DLC and all the cool marketplace stuff as soon as we can.

DeadMeat

Fight for the Light DLC delayed in Europe.

Ahahaha SOE are a joke, an absolute fucking joke!

Truphenom

Been playing this game for a few weeks now and I really like it. Other than the world being down often and how fast it is to reach 30, it's an enjoyable game. Always love the chance to beat up superman.

Killthee

Hard Light power trees.

Tier 1 power causes fear (why did they nerf TK?), self heal power & supercharge, group shield power & supercharge, instant power restore buffs critical strike chance and damage.

I think my mental hero will be making the switch.

Killthee said:
Hard Light power trees.

Tier 1 power causes fear (why did they nerf TK?), self heal power & supercharge, group shield power & supercharge, instant power restore buffs critical strike chance and damage.

I think my mental hero will be making the switch.
Yeah, my mental alt was designed to be a hard light controller, but I'm loving the details on the power trees.

Incidentally, I've more or less folded the league and we've almost all joined with the Fabulous Gentlemen. It seemed to make more sense after the server merge. But drop a line in-game if you ever want to play hero side or if you want to join the Fab Gents, let me know and I can arrange that :)

I didn't even know but the PTR with the DLC content went up yesterday. Light powers are pretty fun but I'm having a little trouble doing the chains during combat.

Killthee

Mercury Fred said:
Yeah, my mental alt was designed to be a hard light controller, but I'm loving the details on the power trees.

Incidentally, I've more or less folded the league and we've almost all joined with the Fabulous Gentlemen. It seemed to make more sense after the server merge. But drop a line in-game if you ever want to play hero side or if you want to join the Fab Gents, let me know and I can arrange that :)
Sweet, the mental/vit nerfs have left a bad taste in my mouth so I'll probably dump my villain mental alt for the time being and just make my hero a lantern. I'll drop you a tell for an invite sometime next week after the dlc is released.

Killthee

Anslon said:
I thought DCUO had it's own comic that laid out the story for the world. That didn't reboot, did it?
Yeah, the comic deals with the original timeline Future Lex comes from in the intro. It wasn't rebooted.

Anslon said:
I thought DCUO had it's own comic that laid out the story for the world. That didn't reboot, did it?

Dcuo is set in its own universe... DC has many of them anyways, but the game was never part of the mainline continuity. Its like trek where time changes creates a new seperate timeline.

Killthee

Flying Toaster said:
Anyone check to see if the GL content is up, it was pushed back a few hours earlier today when I logged on to check.
Not sure about the PC version, but the PS3 version will go up when the PS Store is updated. Could be minutes away or hours.

I picked up the game this weekend for the PC and so far its fun. But its fun in a way of experiencing a new MMO that is not fantasy based. I have read a lot of reviews of bugs and glitches that have hindered some players long term enjoyment of the game but so far knowing that SOE mmo's lack polish its not that bad of a game. The outfits are horrid though I hope that gear drops make things look a little bit better later on in game.

Is PVP better than PVE or are both servers decently populated?

Killthee

PS3 DLC is up, just use the search icon to search for ""DC fight light" and it should pop up.

Flying Toaster said:
I picked up the game this weekend for the PC and so far its fun. But its fun in a way of experiencing a new MMO that is not fantasy based. I have read a lot of reviews of bugs and glitches that have hindered some players long term enjoyment of the game but so far knowing that SOE mmo's lack polish its not that bad of a game. The outfits are horrid though I hope that gear drops make things look a little bit better later on in game.

Is PVP better than PVE or are both servers decently populated?
From my experience in the PS3 version, PvP shits all over PvE but at this point it doesn't matter anymore. They merged the servers a couple of weeks ago, you can switch between either at any moment by warping to HQ (Watchtower/Hall of Doom) and using the phase switcher.

Killthee

Truphenom said:
So, how do I download this pack, I see it but I dont get an option to download. Not used to the PS3 at all..
There's no download, it's just an entitlement. Once you "purchase" the DLC from the PS Store/Marketplace a license is added to your account that unlocks the content for you. The actual content was pushed out on an old update and should already be on your system if you're up to date.

Truphenom

Killthee said:
There's no download, it's just an entitlement. Once you "purchase" the DLC from the PS Store/Marketplace a license is added to your account that unlocks the content for you. The actual content was pushed out on an old update and should already be on your system if you're up to date.

ah ok cool, thanks a lot.

Killthee

Love, love, love the S.T.A.R. Labs and the Oan Sciencells alerts. Didn't really like the brown dirt look of Coast City, but I love that the duo can be completed in 4 minutes. This should be a blueprint for future updates. The current +1 short raid & +3 rehashed content every ~50 days bullshit is getting old. If they can't develop new "free" content + DLC without sacrificing the quality of the "free" updates, then they should make all the new DLC packs free.

Really digging light powers, but I'm not 100% sold on them. I converted one of my mental trollers to them and while the power variety and the combo system is great, the actual controlling seems harder. The moves are much more close range and there seems to be less debuffs and some of them don't seem guaranteed/are currently broken. Light Weight, one of the two offense debuffs, seems to be broken while the Whip (defense debuff) seems to be very picky on when it works. I'm also gonna have to adapt to the Claws (PoT). In the heat of battle TK was easy to cast because of the defense debuff it used to have and the Psychic Stars have a great AoE stun effect that made them easy to spam. Claws are the opposite, panic debuff isn't a must have and the close range nature of Claws requires you to jump into the middle of the action. I think I might have to switch my weapon to a close range weapon cause Hand Blaster + Claws isn't really working for me.

I don't quite understand the light power set. For example it says tap triangle to ram and hold for minigun when using light claws but it doesn't seem to work.

SuperSonic1305 said:
I don't quite understand the light power set. For example it says tap triangle to ram and hold for minigun when using light claws but it doesn't seem to work.

It depends on the weapon you are using, the power interacts with the chosen weapons you use from what I understand. You don't get to use both forms of the power unless you switch.

Killthee

Light Powers are awesome! The Whip's AoE stun effect shits all over Psychic Stars and makes the close range combat of Light a lot easier to survive. I'm seriously thinking of converting my Villain troller to Light cause I don't see them ever making Mental as fun to play as Light is.

SuperSonic1305 said:
You have to buy the powers to be able to combo them, if you don't buy the powers you can't combo them. So to do the Light Claw combos you would need Light Claws and all the other powers required to get Minigun/Ram. The powers don't need to be in your loadout, you just have to have purchased them. You then start the combo by activating Light Claws and then tapping triangle for Ram or holding it for Minigun. To keep the chain going you would have to have purchase the combo powers for Ram/Minigun and then activate them by holding/tapping Square/Triangle.

If you have not purchased the combo powers and you try to activate them, the combo chain will just end.

Top Bottom