• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MegaServers will begin to rollout this Monday.

Deadmeat said:
MegaServers Are Coming!

I am excited to announce that MegaServers will begin going live on Monday
! The MegaServers expanded server system allows you to live in a world with more players and it will greatly expand the number of players available in Gotham and Metropolis, as well as the combat arenas, alerts and raid zones so you can get to some of the most fun areas faster. Here is the roll-out plan, starting this Monday, August 8th, we will begin activating the new MegaServers across all platforms and regions in DCUO. We are very excited to get this live in the game. I wanted to let you know the details of what will be happening during the roll-out period and what you can expect. The full roll-out schedule is at the end of this note.

Once the servers are combined the main improvements you will see to your game play is as follows:

• You will see much larger populations!
  • You will have a much larger pool of people to join in Alerts, Duos, Raids, Legends PvP, etc.
  • It will be much easier to play with friends who were previously on other servers (plus lots of new friends to make).
  • You will be able to switch between PvP and PvE style play by using the phase shifters in the Hall of Doom and JLA Watchtower.
  • There will be a larger number of items in the Broker.

Because we are joining all of these servers together there will be instances where your character name may have been changed due to other players having the same name. We have implemented the fairest system to determine which players would be able to retain their name without change. Those players whose names have been changed will be sent an in-game email which includes a free Name Change token and instructions as to how to change your name if you do not wish to keep the name assigned to you by the system. We know that your character names are important to you and if there are any issues our Customer Support Group will be happy to assist you.

There may also be situations where your League name is changed as well due to other Leagues on the combined servers having the same name. Again, we have tried to be as fair as possible as to how we assigned new names. Those who are the leader of Leagues needing name changes will also receive an in-game email with instructions on how to make the League Name change and the Free Name Change Token with which to do will be attached to the email. So, please be sure to check your in-game email as the MegaServers go live over the next week. Like your character names we know that your League name is important. If there are any issues, our Customer Support Group will be happy to assist you.

The new servers will be arranged in "Phases". A phase can be thought of as a combination of all of the shared world areas of the game: Metropolis, Gotham, Police Stations and Night Clubs, the Hall of Doom, and the JLA Watchtower, etc. The MegaServer will always have at least one PvP phase and one PvE phase. You can transition from the PvE phase to PvP and vice versa by using the phase shifters in the Watchtower and the Hall of Doom. Because the server populations will increase dramatically after this change there may be times when there are multiple PvP and/or PvE phases on the server. If you find yourself in a different phase than a Friend, League mate or Group mate, you can always change to the same phase by using the "Phase With" command from the social quick menu. Please remember that you can only Phase with someone who is playing the same mode as yourself (PvE or PvP).

The great thing is that regardless of phase or whether you are playing in PvP or PvE, all other players on the MegaServer will be available to join you in all of the queued Alerts, Raids, Duos, and Arenas.

When a region and platform are converted to the new MegaServer configuration we expect the game to be unavailable for play for approximately 10 - 14 hours. The schedule for this conversion to MegaServers is as follows:

• EU PC 8/8/2011 8:00AM PT/4:00PM CET
  • US PC 8/10/2011 8:00AM PT/4:00PM CET
  • US PS3 8/11/2011 8:00AM PT/4:00PM CET
  • EU PS3 8/15/2011 8:00AM PT/4:00PM CET

This schedule is subject to change as the process moves forward. At each step we need to verify that everything has gone correctly and ensure that our players have the best possible experience in this transition.

As I have detailed in previous notes and postings, we will combine the populations of all of our current servers into four worldwide MegaServers:

• US PC
  • US PS3
  • EU PC
  • EU PS3

The chart below shows where your server will be once we have completed this transition.

EU PC:

• Bloodstorm
  • In Brightest Day
  • Looking For Trouble
  • Reality Lost

EU PS3:

• Absolute Power
  • Crossfire
  • For All Seasons
  • Justice For All

US PC:
  • Brave New World
  • Cry For Blood
  • Darkness Falls
  • Death and Glory
  • Last Laugh
  • New Frontier
  • Public Enemies
  • Virtue and Vice
  • Zero Hour

US PS3:

• Birthright
  • Blood Will Run
  • Countdown
  • Crisis
  • Justice
  • No Man's Land
  • Redemption
  • Relentless
  • The Killing Joke

I am very excited about this move to MegaServers and I know that everyone is going to be happy with how this will expand your game play possibilities and the level of fun you have in DC Universe Online. We will be keeping everyone updated on the progress of this plan in the Announcements sections of the forums so stay tuned!

DeadMeat

AFAIK, naming collisions will give active subscribers dibs to the name if there's a collision between an active subscriber and an inactive one. If two or more players are active and they share the same character names, the character with the most hours will get the name. The loser will get renamed to "charactername_ServerInitials", for example someone from The Killing Joke who losses his name to another player will be renamed to "charactername_TKJ". Losers will get a rename token sent to their in game inbox.

eznark

Banned
Grinchy said:
Just for fun, try adding up your time to see if you even got the time you were supposed to. With the PSN hack, everyone was supposed to get the time they still had left + 60 days free (unless this is wrong). You might find that your legends sub ran out during the outage, and then they tacked on 60 days to that.

I'd rather not spend any more time on this game, especially doing math!

They got me. I tip my hat (and cancelled the sub and PS+ for good measure)

mileS

I had no plans to play this again, until I randomly came back to this thread and noticed the 45 free days news. That with all the changes is enough for me to give it another try.

CozMick

Banned
You know what, this game can go fuck itself.

The delays for EU PS3 players are disgusting for a subscription based game, it's becoming tedious.

Killthee

In case anyone missed it the first time it was offered, the Legend plan is back.

The Legend Plan is Back!
Save big on a 90-day game time pack for a limited time. Lock in this rate now!

For those who lost access to the original Legend Plan game time pack offered in February 2011, now is your chance to get back in! Lock in this great rate - $29.97 (vs $38.97 standard 3-month pack) for PC and $29.99 (vs. $38.99 standard 3-month pack) for PS3.

Just log in to your SOE account or your PlayStation Network(TM) account and choose the 3-Month Game Time Pack option in the store. Jump on this great offer and check out the latest game updates, including Game Update Four: Enemies Unite, and battle for the Fortress of Solitude with your friends!

Offer will be available until November 1st according to the US PS Store.

mileS

US MegaServers(PC) are up, judging from the official forums. I'm currently patching up so I can't check for myself.

damn this thread has been dead lately :/

DrBo42

Did we all get free time due to the whole SOE account hack disaster? I'm looking in my station account and it says DC Universe Pending (game pass is active while stacked time is available). I'm on PC, can anyone confirm this? I can't find any official sources.

mileS

DrBo42 said:
Did we all get free time due to the whole SOE account hack disaster? I'm looking in my station account and it says DC Universe Pending (game pass is active while stacked time is available). I'm on PC, can anyone confirm this? I can't find any official sources.

Yea you get 45 days.

Was the free time automatically applied to our accounts or do you have to actively have to claim it? I canceled my sub after the PSN went down, but if I got free time waiting for me....

DrBo42

BattleMonkey said:
Was the free time automatically applied to our accounts or do you have to actively have to claim it? I canceled my sub after the PSN went down, but if I got free time waiting for me....
Exactly my situation. I logged in and I do indeed have 45 free days. Log into your station account, go to game plans under account or something like that. If it says "Pending" next to DC Universe Online, you have your free days.

mileS

BattleMonkey said:

The 45 free days starts as soon as you log back in basically. I logged back in for the first time since January about 7 days ago, now I can play until Sept. 20th.

The game is still really fun, I'm happy with the amount of content and changes that have happened thus far. I'll probably even buy the Fight for the Light DLC for the hell of it. The light powers look great. That being said I don't really like the fact they are charging for it. I probably wouldn't consider it if it wasn't for the 45 free days.

Killthee

EU PS3 MegaServer deployment has been delayed.

RadarX said:
The release date for the EU MegaServers is being delayed until August 17th to allow for some additional testing time. We appreciate everyones patience and look forward to seeing you all on the EU MegaServer.
Probably for the best considering all the issues that the US PS3 MS is experiencing (long log in queues, frequent crashing of the main server yesterday, slow unresponsive chat/mail servers, frequent crashing of the grouping/league servers, frequent crashing of the voice chat servers).

BattleMonkey said:
PSN free game time was automatically added to all DCUO accounts and should have all expired by now. PC free game time starts the moment you log into the game, if you don't log in before Sept 1st you don't get the free game time.

You should still try to log in, the PS3 authentication servers have been acting weird and letting people play without active subs.

mileS said:
SOE.com / Log in / My account / Game pass Info

Thats for PC but I assume its the same for PS3? not sure
It's not, the PS3 version uses PSN instead of Station.

DrBo42

Killthee said:
PSN free game time was automatically added to all DCUO accounts and should have all expired by now. PC free game time starts the moment you log into the game, if you don't log in before Sept 1st you don't get the free game time.
Wow that's bullshit.

CozMick

Banned
DC%252520Universe%252520Online.jpg

All aboard the terminal train to Megaserversville. cho cho!

Killthee

Square Triangle said:
Why can't I log on? I keep getting a Serer is down for maintenance error.
MegaServers. They've been having issues keeping all the servers up ever since they launched them so they're working through the weekend trying to fix the issues. They have to disconnect the servers whenever they want to update the server code.

Want to play the lanterns stuff but i'll wait till the servers are more stable, how much does it cost as im assuming you buy it through the game market place?

Killthee

kyo_daikun said:
Want to play the lanterns stuff but i'll wait till the servers are more stable, how much does it cost as im assuming you buy it through the game market place?
GL stuff isn't out yet, it will cost $10 when it's released. Gamestop is saying it comes out tomorrow, but I doubt it considering the PS3 server issues and because they haven't posted it on the PC test server.

mileS

Killthee said:
GL stuff isn't out yet, it will cost $10 when it's released. Gamestop is saying it comes out tomorrow, but I doubt it considering the PS3 server issues and because they haven't posted it on the PC test server.

Yea all the interviews @ the recent comic con said it will be out at the end of "summer" but they want to give it some time on the test servers first. That has me worried because if it hasn't been put on the test server yet, we probably won't see it for another month. Who knows though.

Square Triangle said:
Finally got back on after a week and a half to find out the league was in kicked me. Wtf, I hate when guilds/leagues want you on 24/7.
Saw you on earlier.

On the bright side, you have a ton more options now that megaservers are up (so long as things get sorted and working soon).

Also, Kilthee, you guys absolutely smoked us the other day! Hero PUG groups in PvP arenas are just pathetic :p

Mercury Fred said:
Saw you on earlier.

On the bright side, you have a ton more options now that megaservers are up (so long as things get sorted and working soon).

Also, Kilthee, you guys absolutely smoked us the other day! Hero PUG groups in PvP arenas are just pathetic :p

Pretty much. Villains tend to go in together with a full team, which always helps them out because they have heals while we have some kid trying to punch the crap out of everyone and failing.

Killthee

Square Triangle said:
Finally got back on after a week and a half to find out the league was in kicked me. Wtf, I hate when guilds/leagues want you on 24/7.
Are you sure about that? The league servers keep crashing and if you log in after a crash it appears like you've been dropped. If your friend list isn't loading the league servers are probably offline and you're probably still in.

Mercury Fred said:
Saw you on earlier.

The same applies to the villain side now. It's cool that there's so many new faces in the arena, but its terrible that 8 out of 10 of them are playing as DPS. The only semi-playable PUG arena at the moment is FoS because you don't get any specialized roles in 5v5 and 4v4.

How bad are the arena queues on the hero side? I imagine with the terrible hero to villain ratio they must be pretty long.

Killthee said:
Are you sure about that? The league servers keep crashing and if you log in after a crash it appears like you've been dropped. If your friend list isn't loading the league servers are probably offline and you're probably still in.

The same applies to the villain side now. It's cool that there's so many new faces in the arena, but its terrible that 8 out of 10 of them are playing as DPS. The only semi-playable PUG arena at the moment is FoS because you don't get any specialized roles in 5v5 and 4v4.

How bad are the arena queues on the hero side? I imagine with the terrible hero to villain ratio they must be pretty long.

It's been popping relaly quick for me since the Megaserver update. No more than 5 min. tops.

Killthee

NihonTiger90 said:
It's been popping relaly quick for me since the Megaserver update. No more than 5 min. tops.
That's not too bad. The people over at the boards make it sound like it's broken for heroes.

Ah thought it was up as I saw the trophies had been added when I was bored comparing the other night with someone, 10$ sounds fair so i'll pick it up.

Looks like the DLC may not hit us for a while. Just got an email that Gamestop wont be selling the Fight/Light content and refunds for those who prepurchased it will be issued.

Killthee said:

You should still try to log in, the PS3 authentication servers have been acting weird and letting people play without active subs.

It's not, the PS3 version uses PSN instead of Station.

Are you sure about this?
I bought the three months recurring plan, and haven't been charged since the outage.
I also didn't log in, so my acount still has to be pending...

Can I check this somewhere?

Killthee

Animation-Imp said:
Are you sure about this?
I bought the three months recurring plan, and haven't been charged since the outage.
I also didn't log in, so my acount still has to be pending...

Can I check this somewhere?
This is what the SOE Welcome Back page says regarding the free game time:

PLAYSTATION®NETWORK WELCOME BACK DETAILS

Playstation®Network customers who have ever played DC Universe Online and Free Realms paying Members with an active account on April 20, 2011, will receive 60 days (30 days plus 1 day for each day of the outage) of game time added to their accounts. This game time starts May 14, 2011. Those with paying plans on April 20, 2011 will see "Free 60-day extension" noted on your account upon login.

While the PC details specifically state that it starts upon log in for inactive accounts:

PC WELCOME BACK DETAILS

We want to ensure that your experience is as positive as possible as you re-enter our games. To show our gratitude for your patience and support, Sony Online Entertainment is offering a Welcome Back Program, the details of which are outlined below.

Firstly, as a Station Account holder in good standing, you will receive 45 days of game time (30 days plus 1 day for each day of the outage) added to your Station Account. This game time applies to any game you have currently or previously activated on your Station Account.

For those customers on an active paying plan, this time has been added to the end of your current billing cycle. For all other customers, your time begins upon your first login to each of the relevant games. Customers must login by 11:59 pm PST August 31, 2011 to claim the game time.

What's happened is the PS Store isn't renewing some accounts when their plans expire. This is the reason they brought back the Legends Plan, people with automatic renewal on have been losing it because of some PS Store renewal error and have been bitching on the boards that they wouldn't come back if the plan wasn't offered again. At the same time, the authentication servers seem to believe some accounts are active even after the expiration date on their plan has already passed. When my plan expired last month I was able to play for free for 4 days until the PS Store finally renewed my plan.

If you need to check your plan expiration date you can do it from your system by signing in -> Account Management icon under the PSN icon in the XMB -> Transaction Management -> Services List -> DCUO -> Plan or you can go to the Qriocity site and look for the DCUO service under the Games filter in the Media tab.

Killthee said:
This is what the SOE Welcome Back page says regarding the free game time:

While the PC details specifically state that it starts upon log in for inactive accounts:

What's happened is the PS Store isn't renewing some accounts when their plans expire. This is the reason they brought back the Legends Plan, people with automatic renewal on have been losing it because of some PS Store renewal error and have been bitching on the boards that they wouldn't come back if the plan wasn't offered again. At the same time, the authentication servers seem to believe some accounts are active even after the expiration date on their plan has already passed. When my plan expired last month I was able to play for free for 4 days until the PS Store finally renewed my plan.

If you need to check your plan expiration date you can do it from your system by signing in -> Account Management icon under the PSN icon in the XMB -> Transaction Management -> Services List -> DCUO -> Plan or you can go to the Qriocity site and look for the DCUO service under the Games filter in the Media tab.

Damn I was holding off jumping back in till the megaservers hit,
if this is true I just waisted 20 bucks of game-time,
I read the pc statement and thought it would (logically) also be the same for their ps customers.
I'll have to have a long hard contemplation about renewing if I can't check the status of the eu megaservers in advance...

Square Triangle said:
Looks like the DLC may not hit us for a while. Just got an email that Gamestop wont be selling the Fight/Light content and refunds for those who prepurchased it will be issued.

Booo!

Probably announced to get everyone to resubscribe then delayed back to drag it out a bit more.

Radial menu is cool, hope its more responsive than the normal menu system.

Damn checked my account yesterday,
and indeed the extra game-time has expired.
On top of it all, my sub is now extended till the end of october.

I'm in doubt if I should continue my sub or just stop the renewal...

So how is the game population looking with the whole megaserver thing? Are the cities still barren and few doing any of the ring war pvp stuff? The legends offer kinda has me intrigued

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
So how is the game population looking with the whole megaserver thing? Are the cities still barren and few doing any of the ring war pvp stuff? The legends offer kinda has me intrigued
Overall, the population is looking good even though the game has a crap load of communication issues right now (text and v chat always goes down during peak hours, usually multiple times per day and the server has to be reset during prime time to fix it). The server pop is usually at medium during off hours and high/full during peak hours. Log in queue has gotten much better, but it does tend to creep up during peak hours and is usually present during the log in flood that occurs after a reset.

Instance queues are much better and there's always someone shouting in the WT/HoD phases looking to set up a group for raids/alerts. PvP queues are instant for villains while some heroes (mostly the ones that came from PvP servers) have complained they take too long because there's now a shit load of heroes. Ring War and Diamond Heist are always packed now that they have removed the daily limit, unfortunately they're packed with heroes and villains have completely given up on them. I haven't done much of the city stuff since the merge, but I have hung outside the nightclubs during PvP and the city chat seems to be back. There's people asking for help and setting up bounty groups just like it was near launch.

Killthee

PC test server is getting Fight for the Light this weekend, they must be close to release:

khill said:
Fight for the Light Playtest

Come help test "Fight for the Light" tonight and this weekend. We will turn on the DLC tonight to allow all of you to give us feedback and help find any additional issues before it goes live. You'll notice that there are 5 different threads for the DLC, one for each piece of content, so please make sure to post any feedback in these designated threads to help us better track it. Listed below you can see the major pieces of content that are coming with the DLC.

The XP rate on the Test server will be modified as well for the weekend to allow faster leveling.

Light Powers
Players get a new power type that they can use with a new character or they can re-spec a current character. This new power type is based on light constructs and will grant the player the Control Role at level 10. A new type of combo has been added with light powers called Construct Combos. Construct Combos can be created by using Chainable Constructs from the player’s abilities load-out. Players wielding Light Powers can perform Construct Combos by using a series of taps or holds.

Coast City Duo
Players must stop Atrocitus and his Red Lanterns before they tear Ferris Aircraft apart.

Coast City Alert
Engage in battle with the Green Lantern Corps, Sinestro Corps and the all new Red Lantern Corps to help S.T.A.R. Labs forces avert disaster at Ferris Aircraft.

S.T.A.R. Labs Alert
Join the Lantern Corps to push back Brainiac forces in S.T.A.R. Labs and unravel the mystery that brought the Lantern Corps to Earth.

Oan Sciencells Alert
Travel to Oa and discover what is behind the prisoner riot at the Green Lantern Sciencells.

I will update with a more precise time when I actually have one, we are currently using the Test Server to address Live issues.

I don't like having to queue to login. After downloading 5 gigs of updates last night I ended up around 900th spot and just turned off the PS3. So much for jumping back in.

Hmm no line waiting for me but signed up for another legend plan block... tide me over for a while I guess, try out some of the new content I missed out on.... any idea when that radial menu is going to be implemented?

Killthee

BattleMonkey said:
Hmm no line waiting for me but signed up for another legend plan block... tide me over for a while I guess, try out some of the new content I missed out on.... any idea when that radial menu is going to be implemented?
At this point the log in queue isn't really noticeable if you log in during off peak hours or if the server has been on for a while. The issue creeps up during peak hours, especially because under heavy load the text chat,mail, league, and voice chat servers all crash. When those servers crash, the only way to fix it is to bring down the game servers and reset them. When they bring them back online there's a flood of people trying to log in at the same time and that's when the log in queue gets ridiculous. This has been happening multiple times every day for the past week.

Radial menu was accidentally listed in the patch notes for U4, so I'm guessing it's almost done. It'll probably be deployed in U5.

Grinchy

Banned
The amount of money I have dumped into this broken game makes me so angry, yet I keep checking this thread and seeing these updates that look nice :(

That radial menu looks great.

Grinchy said:
The amount of money I have dumped into this broken game makes me so angry, yet I keep checking this thread and seeing these updates that look nice :(

That radial menu looks great.
It's a lot like being in an abusive relationship with someone really hot who's working out regularly and going to grad school but has violent mood swings and an on again/ off again heroin addiction.

Signed back up and kinda instant regretted it noticing lot of issues still in the game and how empty the cities still are sadly. What happened to all the villains?! Seems like Heroes are everywhere.... the mega server nonsense just made things worse for us Villains it seems.

CozMick

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Signed back up and kinda instant regretted it noticing lot of issues still in the game and how empty the cities still are sadly. What happened to all the villains?! Seems like Heroes are everywhere.... the mega server nonsense just made things worse for us Villains it seems.

I've yet to create a Villian toon.

But, For the past week I've played approximately 30 Legends PVP against the exact same 2 villians every single time!!

If that's anything to go by...

ROLL ON FREE FOR ALL PVP!!!!
I wish :(

Top Bottom