• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 has sold ~1.5 million worldwide, F2P downloads over 3.5 million

ZhugeEX

Banned
2729997-9269152897-Dead-.jpg

Dead or Alive 5 originally released on PS3 and Xbox 360 in September 2012. The game was an instant success with 580,000 units sold worldwide within the first week. Since then the game has seen multiple iterations released for Vita, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One and STEAM with cumulative shipments + downloads reaching almost 1.5 million units worldwide.

Koei Tecmo released a free to play edition of the game under the "Core Fighters" title and more than 3.5 million people have downloaded this version.

5 million units have now been sold/downloaded worldwide across the titles listed below.

DEAD OR ALIVE 5
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 PLUS
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 ULTIMATE
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 ULTIMATE: CORE FIGHTERS
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 LAST ROUND
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 LAST ROUND: CORE FIGHTERS

Players wanting a taste of what DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round has to offer can play the main game content in DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round: CORE FIGHTERS free of charge. PlayStation 4 players will have access to the free-to-download version via the PlayStation® Network which includes four fighters - Ayane, Hayate, Kasumi and Ryu Hayabusa - and almost every game mode will be available.

Source: Koei Tecmo & ZhugeEX

duckroll

Errr. Can we get a sort of clarification on this? My understanding is the "F2P" version of DoA5 is essentially a demo of sorts, which you can then pay to upgrade to a full version right? If that's the case, are these 3.5 million downloads customers who have converted to a full version, or are they just downloads of the free demo? If so, it's very, very misleading to add the number to 1.5 million sold units of the game and say that the game has sold 5 million copies.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Errr. Can we get a sort of clarification on this? My understanding is the "F2P" version of DoA5 is essentially a demo of sorts, which you can then pay to upgrade to a full version right? If that's the case, are these 3.5 million downloads customers who have converted to a full version, or are they just downloads of the free demo? If so, it's very, very misleading to add the number to 1.5 million sold units of the game and say that the game has sold 5 million copies.

You're correct. 3.5 million is just f2p downloads. To be clear it's not people who have converted, it's people who have downloaded the f2p version.

Feel free to change the title to make it more acceptable. This was the previous thread I made which probably has a better title- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039174&highlight=

Perhaps a better title is "Dead or Alive 5 F2P version exceeds 3.5 million downloads - 1.5 million units shipped"

duckroll

You're correct. 3.5 million is just f2p downloads. To be clear it's not people who have converted, it's people who have downloaded the f2p version.

Feel free to change the title to make it more acceptable. This was the previous thread I made which probably has a better title- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039174&highlight=

Do we have any numbers on the conversation rate or how much Koei Tecmo has seen from DLC sales from the F2P versions? That sort of data seems really hard to come by and I feel would be very interesting and helpful to discussions about how successful such business models are.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Do we have any numbers on the conversation rate or how much Koei Tecmo has seen from DLC sales from the F2P versions? That sort of data seems really hard to come by and I feel would be very interesting and helpful to discussions about how successful such business models are.

I don't have any data that specifically refers to DOA5. But in terms of overall then I can say the below.

I can see that packaged title sales via digital download account for around 2,500m yen in revenue and actual DLC accounts for around 1,500m yen in revenue. Mobile and Online game revenue accounts for around 6,750m yen.

Digital sales have more than quadrupled since 2012 for Koei Tecmo.

fedexpeon

Banned
Still waiting for DOA Ultra Alpha Hyper Version Extreme Beach Volley Ball on next gen with soft engine work.
Seriously, just release it as a F2P and sell costumes.
They must be rolling in DLC cash with the DOA5 F2P version.

big_z

Would like to know the average playtime for the F2P version.

ive probably put in nearly 20 hours into the free version. every now and then I still play it to try out the new demo character.

at one time I did consider buying the game but two things stopped me. one is the online is laggy garbage 90% of the time and there's not many people playing in general(on ps4). the other thing is the cost, they're asking full price and piecemealed the game to hell and back. theres 463 dlc items already and theyre still adding more.

They must be rolling in DLC cash with the DOA5 F2P version.

every now and then some of the dlc goes up free but it doesn't seem to work with the f2p version. I think buying the core game is required which is $50 on its own.

Just a question :

Someone who got the demo and then upgraded will be counted only once in the F2P download catégory , right ?

Forkball

Does the Steam version have online yet? It always baffled me that they would release it without online functionality.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
every now and then some of the dlc goes up free but it doesn't seem to work with the f2p version. I think buying the core game is required which is $50 on its own.

You mean the free characters? Those rotate and are time limited and not free to own. They're rentals.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't have any data that specifically refers to DOA5. But in terms of overall then I can say the below.

I can see that packaged title sales via digital download account for around 2,500m yen in revenue and actual DLC accounts for around 1,500m yen in revenue. Mobile and Online game revenue accounts for around 6,750m yen.

Digital sales have more than quadrupled since 2012 for Koei Tecmo.

Sounds to me like they should charge less for the DLC...or release less of it. The amount of DLC for it is STAGGERING.

TheSeks

Does the Steam version have online yet? It always baffled me that they would release it without online functionality.

Yes.
In "beta" and ranked mode only. No lobbies. LOL Tecmo

KingBroly

Banned
Ive got this for Xbox360, great fighter imo, wonder how much better looking it would the PCv be.

Not much? It's missing stuff from the PS4/XB1 versions of the game, including stages. But I dunno how the mod community has worked for the game. Tecmo doesn't like it since they have moral objections to nude mods apparently.

Kysen

I'm one of those who downloaded the F2P edition and have never run the game. So I don't know why they would boast about downloads.

SerTapTap

The dlc spamming the psn store put me off this game . Loved 2 on dreamcast tho
This is one of the more annoying parts of games with too much dlc on console. I also hate that rainbow moon game for constantly including its microtransactions in almost every sale they can.

Eolz

Congrats TN and KT. Hope they won't take too long for the next episode, and take the fans feedback to heart.

The F2P version is actually a bit more than a free demo: you have everything that is in the actual game(arcade, versus, online, etc), minus the story mode, some music tracks, and most characters. It's actually really well thought for the players who already know which character they're using.
However, there is also some sort of free demo on X1 that is way more limited than that.

Bring on the current gen Jiggle.
Already in LR. Next step is current gen textures and models.

The dlc spamming the psn store put me off this game . Loved 2 on dreamcast tho
Eh, if it's cosmetic only, you can avoid it easily tbh.

No, beta for now (including achievements too). Quality is similar to console in terms of netcode imo, just obviously way not as many players.

You mean the free characters? Those rotate and are time limited and not free to own. They're rentals.
No, there's also (very rarely) a free character given forever. Jan Lee last year for example.

Ive got this for Xbox360, great fighter imo, wonder how much better looking it would the PCv be.
Not much. It's basically the 360 version with better shadows and anti-aliasing/resolution.
Pretty barebones port, really prefer the PS4 version.

big_z

no im talking about the dlc outfits. every now and then they make one or two free but they don't work, not even with the 4 main characters you get with the f2p game.

alstein

It's in beta now. Netcode itself is quite solid- on par with VF IMO.

That said, only ranked right now, and it does have crash issues on occasion. Good hope for the future though with what I've seen so far.

Tonguer

Yeah those numbers seem really misleading when combined as "5 million".

I like the DOA series, but the massive DLC approach has turned me away. I'd happily buy "Dead or Alive 5: All the shit included last edition no really we mean it no more DLC"... I'm hoping they release that package shortly before a DOA6. I'll wait and see.

kswiston

Steam version has only sold ~50k.

Koei needs to take some lessons from Namco. Xenoverse was released around the same time and is sitting at 305k.

cireza

Best 3D fighter in my opinion, great graphics, a lot of fun. Pretty easy to understand the gameplay and play all characters.

TheSeks

Koei needs to take some lessons from Namco. Xenoverse was released around the same time and is sitting at 305k.

1) No online at launch
2) Last-gen version when Next-gen version has more stuff in it
3) No online at launch
4) Did I mention: No online at launch?

Oh and the online NOW is in but as a "beta" and doesn't match the console experience (no lobbies, for instance).

It's not hard to see why some people balked at the port.

DR2K

Banned

It's the entire game sans story mode, with a few characters unlocked.

Espada

Best 3D fighter in my opinion, great graphics, a lot of fun. Pretty easy to understand the gameplay and play all characters.

Yup, beyond the T&A the game is just a easy to understand 3D fighting game. Outside of Smash, DOA5's been a game that my casual gamer/non-gamer friends can play and enjoy with ease.

And I doubt they're going to stop the "DLC spam". The revenue from it is probably the reason we've gotten Ultimate and Last Round. Fighting games are a really niche genre, and I don't mind them doing this to make an extra buck. Hell, it's cosmetic stuff too so even less reason to complain.

shaowebb

Tits > Ass is official

):C Fuck you. Ass for life.
:kappa:

In all seriousness though, congrats to Koei/Tecmo. DOA5 is super fun and its not only an easy to pick up fighter, but one that is definitely deep enough for competitive play. Big fan of Brad Wong myself...to date he is the penultimate king of Drunken Boxing ever to have come out of fighting games. I practiced one of the systems out there years ago (before I stopped doing martial arts, did college and spent a decade growing tits of my own lol) and I gotta say Brad is the only one to get everything about Drunken style correct.

Eolz

I agree that Bamco is an example to follow for JP publishers, but I really don't see how you can compare a fighting game (with no online) with a dubious reputation, to an action game with a big IP.

kswiston

I agree that Bamco is an example to follow for JP publishers, but I really don't see how you can compare a fighting game (with no online) with a dubious reputation, to an action game with a big IP.

No Online is Koei Tecmo's own fault. It would be hard to compare its sales with other straight fighting games, since you could argue IP size in most of their cases, but Mortal Kombat is also sitting at about 300k on Steam. Hell, Both of the Hyperdimension Neptunia games are past Dead or Alive 5, and those are late VITA ports from an ultra-niche series.

K-T isn't even trying, and their PC sales reflect that. They launch barebones late PC ports at full price and expect sales.

Kumubou

No Online is Koei Tecmo's own fault. It would be hard to compare its sales with other straight fighting games, since you could argue IP size in most of their cases, but Mortal Kombat is also sitting at about 300k on Steam. Hell, Both of the Hyperdimension Neptunia games are past Dead or Alive 5, and those are late VITA ports from an ultra-niche series.

K-T isn't even trying, and their PC sales reflect that. They launch barebones late PC ports at full price and expect sales.
It's not really a fair comparison, since the Neptunia games were going for as low as $9 during the sale, and MKX's port is even worse.

I do think they should have delayed the release until they had the online functionality up and running, as you only get one shot at launch and the responses of "LOL NO ONLINE" have basically overshadowed everything else. I really do hope they don't push the online update out unpatched, or there's going to be a real shitstorm due to all of the crashing bugs.

LakeEarth

I don't know what's wrong, but I can never find an opponent on this thing. I've tried like 4 times, ranked, player match, and completing single player with "search for match" on. 4+ lag, any location. Nothing.

kswiston

It's not really a fair comparison, since the Neptunia games were going for as low as $9 during the sale, and MKX's port is even worse.

I do think they should have delayed the release until they had the online functionality up and running, as you only get one shot at launch and the responses of "LOL NO ONLINE" have basically overshadowed everything else. I really do hope they don't push the online update out unpatched, or there's going to be a real shitstorm due to all of the crashing bugs.

I don't know about fair comparisons, but this is where K-T is sitting on Steam:

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete - 150,699 ± 9,196
Dead or Alive 5: LR - 46,799 ± 5,125
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires - 21,634 ± 3,485
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden - 4,562 ± 1,600
Bladestorm Nghtmare - 1,766 ± 995

Toukiden just launched so I did not list that. Terrible numbers for everything other than Dynasty Warriors 8 XL though.

flohen95

I don't know what's wrong, but I can never find an opponent on this thing. I've tried like 4 times, ranked, player match, and completing single player with "search for match" on. 4+ lag, any location. Nothing.

Yeah. I either don't find any opponents or my session will consist of fighting the same 2-3 people over and over. Which is kinda funny, but still.

Doesn't bother me too much, though, since I'm not much of an online player (and suck at fighting games).

alstein

Low userbase right now. Once the netcode goes public and they do a Steam Sale I suspect business will pick up. It's the first legit 3D fighter on Steam.\

Many folks refused to buy a fighter without netcode. I don't blame them, I wouldn't have bit unless I heard the June 30th date was legit and a surprise 60% sale.

Top Bottom