• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

I honestly kind of like Mizuki from those screenshots, despite the haircut being an obvious idol-like feature. She doesn't seem as much down a certain spectrum than Honoka at least, but yeah, she fits more DOAX than DOA.

>tfw no chibi Ayane ;_;

4389999.jpg

Korigama

IIRC it wasn't that much different in other regions. The bigger travesty and confusing point, to me, was that Mila didn't make it in. She was the only new girl for DOA5 that didn't get in.
I'm not too surprised about Mila. While a good character, her grounded MMA focus and general design sensibilities embody the "I'm a Fighter" direction that TN wanted to go with before it was rejected by the fanbase, resulting in the girls introduced after her being flashier and more geared toward fanservice. They found success with someone with tomboy leanings before in Hitomi, but the approach taken with Mila just didn't resonate with people in the same way.

Huh, had no idea about the DoAX3 OT.

I'm not too surprised about Mila. While a good character, her grounded MMA focus and general design sensibilities embody the "I'm a Fighter" direction that TN wanted to go with before it was rejected by the fanbase, resulting in the girls introduced after her being flashier and more geared toward fanservice. They found success with someone with tomboy leanings before in Hitomi, but the approach taken with Mila just didn't resonate with people in the same way.

Huh, had no idea about the DoAX3 OT.

It's a fair point and likely the truest. It's just weird that since DOA5 came out, the non-guest girls introduced are all there - Momiji, Honoka, Marie, Nyotengu - and Mila is absent. Yet we got Helena because she's a mainstay or a popularity poll inched her out?

I mean, I think we can all agree that maybe if they had intended on everyone being there, or at least a couple of others being there, we would have seen everyone or Mila in the lineup. At the very least, she and Lisa were different from most of the rest of the cast.

Then again, we should have gotten Rio again and didn't, so...

Synth

It's a fair point and likely the truest. It's just weird that since DOA5 came out, the non-guest girls introduced are all there - Momiji, Honoka, Marie, Nyotengu - and Mila is absent. Yet we got Helena because she's a mainstay or a popularity poll inched her out?

I mean, I think we can all agree that maybe if they had intended on everyone being there, or at least a couple of others being there, we would have seen everyone or Mila in the lineup. At the very least, she and Lisa were different from most of the rest of the cast.

Legacy meant nothing. Tina and Lei-Fang didn't make it in, despite being 2 of the original game's 3 female characters. Lisa didn't make it in, despite debuting in the first DOAX game.

The character voting situation was a combination of cash grab (having to "buy" votes) meeting laziness (not actually wanting to put much effort into DOAX3's creation). The resulting game also reflected this with the owner mode basically punishing normal gameplay in order to attempt to sell the rotating costumes exclusively for ludicrous ticket amounts.

Korigama

Definitely popularity rather than legacy, with Tina and Leifang being omitted in spite of being around since the very beginning already pointed out (just barely in Leifang's case, with Helena beating her for the last spot toward the end). Also, not quite all of the non-guest girls made it: Rachel, who was much less popular than Momiji, also got left out alongside Mila.

Eolz

If the X3 OT has been deleted, it's probably due to the same issue as last time it was deleted: someone posted some pictures that were considered nsfw by the neogaf ad robots, and it was basically deleted to avoid to have ad providers leaving over it.
I think mods said that there wouldn't be another one if it happened again, but it might be worth asking again... It was pretty dead since some time anyway.

ShinMaruku

There will be no DOA6 announcement at TGS. As to this new bird, they had Rio in a certain doax expansion and she never made it into doa proper.

Eolz

There will be no DOA6 announcement at TGS. As to this new bird, they had Rio in a certain doax expansion and she never made it into doa proper.

Rio already existed before DOAX and was never planned to be able to fight before Warriors All-Stars anyway. She's a cameo from another series, while Mizuki is an OG character for the DOA franchise.
Completely different situation.

Synth

Rio already existed before DOAX and was never planned to be able to fight before Warriors All-Stars anyway. She's a cameo from another series, while Mizuki is an OG character for the DOA franchise.
Completely different situation.

Yup. More analogous to Lisa in DOAX, who became a mainline character in DOA4.

ShinMaruku

In such a case look foward to how she plays. If she's more on the Momiji/Lady Kstoute side, I look forward to her unique stuff. Even my cow has interesting gameplay.

Sulik2

I cannot wait to see how insanely exploitative the microtransactions in the F2P port of DOAX3 are going to be. Its a browser game you know Konami is going to go insane with them. It does seem like it should be time for DOA6.

Synth

I cannot wait to see how insanely exploitative the microtransactions in the F2P port of DOAX3 are going to be. Its a browser game you know Konami is going to go insane with them. It does seem like it should be time for DOA6.

Original "Clam" ticket system.

Mendrox

Shame it got locked, but what can you do?

I would have killed for doax to have more sports.

But deleting the whole thread? Now I have to look up all the tricks on shit sites like GameFAQS again. If the problem was about the ADs then they should finally fix the malware inducing ads that you often get on GAF. Mobile is even worse. But you are right what can we do. Just a bit sad that all the posts with the links and pictures just got deleted like this.

Halloween 2017 designer's challenge.

Christie has Bastet cat costume. Tina has 80's fitness idol. I REALLY like those two costumes.

Marie Rose and Honoka have Black Swan and White Swan respectively.

Ayane has Pirate.

Bass is a cock.

A few more.

Mesharey

Aaaand nothing.

They started talking about DoA5 since they announced it until this December, was hoping for a teaser for DoA6 at the end. XD

Tyaren

Lol, that was a whole lot of nothing. XD
Not even a new collab with a random Japanese game or a new moeblob character coming to LR.
But hey, that is ultimately a good thing, they are finally putting DOA5 to rest. R.I.P. It had started smelling a little funny already, to be honest...

Eolz

Yeah, expected some hint after their 5 years video where they talked about how the game evolved over time since its original release :(

Anyway, here's some quick screengrabs of some of the designer contest costumes (aka those that got an award like each year: producer award, director award, etc):
They're mostly better than last year imo.

Lol, that was a whole lot of nothing. XD
Not even a new collab with a random Japanese game or a new moeblob character coming to LR.
But hey, that is ultimately a good thing, they are finally putting DOA5 to rest. R.I.P. It had started smelling a little funny already, to be honest...

I am sure that moeblob introduced in the Browser game will be in DOA6.

Eolz

Seen that the Twitch video I linked way earlier in the thread about NEC was deleted so here's a new link from the other thread:
The reason about the NEC talk for those wondering: https://youtu.be/B4iun48juSA?t=1420
On top of that, nice timing to let pros try directly an early build, like it was the case for DOA5, as well as finishing the whole Battle Royale again.

I really don't see DOA becoming exclusive again when 5 was done to go out from that. Spinoffs are another issue, but KT still prefer most of their games to be multiplat.

ShinMaruku

Don't blame me for the NEC thing. However I knew TGS was fucking nothing when the people I know were not at TGS. NEC, I will see them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's been deleted.

Was there any posts from the higher ups as in regards to why? It would've been nice to receive some sort of post giving people a heads up rather than just wiping it out and leaving the members of the OT wondering what happened.

Top Bottom