• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

The VF issue is why I don't blame them for not making a new one, the ip has value outside of it. That said Vanessa best be in DOA6. Sass up Zack is all I need now.

Sega imo should give VF another chance. It isn't like there is much competition now. Seems like the only franchise they want to give a chance to is Sonic on a monthly basis and sometimes Yakuza. I think Tekken 7 proves that there is still a little bit of demand for 3D fighters, especially when they are so rare now. Honestly, though, we really need DOA6 like this year or even next year. Why is Tecmo just sitting on this opportunity and not capitalizing on the fact that Tekken 7 is the only current 3D fighter available now? Sadly, though I am not holding my breath for DOA6 anytime soon and I am definitely not holding my breath for another Virtua Fighter. I am even really doubting another Soul Calibur. I like 2D fighters also, but we really need more 3D fighters.

ShinMaruku

VF has a higher chance than people think since the chairmans grandson is interested in more traditional games but I am just tentative on that because VF makes more money as a cross promotion thing.

Azuardo

There was some very random promoting of Soul Calibur going on late last year, with the social media accounts very active, asking fans to vote for their fave characters in popularity battles and such. Looking at the SC Twitter account now, it's been inactive since basically Dec 2016/Jan 2017. It almost felt like they were working their way up to an announcement, and I think it fooled a few people in general. But it's possible there has been stuff going on and we might just get SC6.

I think TGS is the time for either one of SC6 or DOA6 to be announced. I'd prefer DOA, but I'll be very happy with SC. I'll still hold out hope for NEC if DOA6 isn't announced at TGS, but if we get no mention this year of either game, that looks like it'll eradicate any hope.

I can't see DOA6 not being made this gen really, but they are leaving it late if they aren't gonna release it next year. We could very well end up with the same situation as DOA5, and DOA6 getting ports to the next gen after this one.

Eyes on TGS for now, and then NEC in December if nothing is said in a couple of weeks.

There was some very random promoting of Soul Calibur going on late last year, with the social media accounts very active, asking fans to vote for their fave characters in popularity battles and such. Looking at the SC Twitter account now, it's been inactive since basically Dec 2016/Jan 2017. It almost felt like they were working their way up to an announcement, and I think it fooled a few people in general. But it's possible there has been stuff going on and we might just get SC6.

I think TGS is the time for either one of SC6 or DOA6 to be announced. I'd prefer DOA, but I'll be very happy with SC. I'll still hold out hope for NEC if DOA6 isn't announced at TGS, but if we get no mention this year of either game, that looks like it'll eradicate any hope.

I can't see DOA6 not being made this gen really, but they are leaving it late if they aren't gonna release it next year. We could very well end up with the same situation as DOA5, and DOA6 getting ports to the next gen after this one.

Eyes on TGS for now, and then NEC in December if nothing is said in a couple of weeks.

I feel at the very least SC6 is being considered and VF has a chance to thrive but it needs a serious overhaul in personality. The gameplay is amazing and needs no fixing but outside of the amazing customization system it leaves a bit to be desired in terms of flash and personality with the characters.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's Shin, there won't be one :p
But it makes more easy money this way for sure. I really doubt it's more money overall, but obviously it's not as costly as developing/supporting a full game.
pound for pound sega has made more on vf5 and i don't think that's up for debate. it was developed twelve years ago and they're leasing cabs to this day.

ShinMaruku

It's Shin, there won't be one :p
But it makes more easy money this way for sure. I really doubt it's more money overall, but obviously it's not as costly as developing/supporting a full game.

Given the investment needed. That is why I say so. There is no certain why to tell which would give them more money. If they are risk adverse, then this is the best way.

Fighters are not sure bets.

oneida

Given the investment needed. That is why I say so. There is no certain why to tell which would give them more money. If they are risk adverse, then this is the best way.

Fighters are not sure bets.
sure, but they've made five entries so far and they've all made a lot of money?

ShinMaruku

Indeed those previous entries have made them a decent chunk of money, espcially when the investment was justified with it pushing their arcade hardware.

My only real concern weather this game will be made or not is if there is interest in footing the bill to get it there, I don't think there is a desire for that. But we should wait for TGS and other things to see if we do get another one. I am just not 100% certain they will make another one. Sega is very strange at times and I am just pessimistic. But I could be wrong.

oneida

Indeed those previous entries have made them a decent chunk of money, espcially when the investment was justified with it pushing their arcade hardware.

My only real concern weather this game will be made or not is if there is interest in footing the bill to get it there, I don't think there is a desire for that. But we should wait for TGS and other things to see if we do get another one. I am just not 100% certain they will make another one. Sega is very strange at times and I am just pessimistic. But I could be wrong.
shin, we've gone from "sega makes more money licensing VF than selling VF" to "i don't know if there's a market that would justify the next one" i don't know what point you're trying to make but in case you are genuinely concerned about VF6 just rest assured that it remains one of sega's most profitable brands despite how few westerners are playing the last entry which came out eleven years ago. if DoA4 was the most recent DoA, do you genuinely believe it would have a significantly larger audience in 2017 than VF5 does?

Synth

Yea,. honestly under any sort of direct alignment it's hard to argue Dead or Alive having a stronger audience than Virtua Fighter. Shit I remember the DOA Central days during DoA3, DoA Ultimate and the later days of DoA4 having only slightly more activity than this thread does, lol.

I don't really blame Shin for viewing through the lens of "return on little effort" though, because that's honestly been the Dead or Alive series' approach to everything post DoA5... seeing the most you can draw out of a limited audience with the smallest actual commitment in content creation. I don't think it applies to Sega however (outside of the Yakuza series maybe, hah). A Virtua Fighter 6 wouldn't require hundreds in cosmetic DLC to justify itself.

Hubb

I don't really blame Shin for viewing through the lens of "return on little effort" though, because that's honestly been the Dead or Alive series' approach to everything post DoA5... seeing the most you can draw out of a limited audience with the smallest actual commitment in content creation. I don't think it applies to Sega however (outside of the Yakuza series maybe, hah). A Virtua Fighter 6 wouldn't require hundreds in cosmetic DLC to justify itself.

That's not what he is saying though. He is saying licensing VF characters to TN is basically free money, or at least "free" compared to the amount of money it would take to develop VF6.

Seriously though, if it bothers you that fighting games are milking a limited audience maybe fighters aren't you for any more. Unless Riot comes out with a fighter that lights the world on fire, milking DLC seems to be every big fighters goal/necessity to stay alive. I don't know if there is a fighter out there that can match the sales of some of the other genres, let alone other Esports.

I get people aren't happy about the amount of costumes released, I just don't care. I'm much more unhappy with the character and stage DLC. If DoA6 comes out and they release 200000 costumes over its lifetime and never charge for characters or stages that would be an absolute win in my book.

I think I remember you saying you think they are purposely holding back DoA6 so they can make more DLC for 5. In a way, yeah probably. That is what every game does. That's why the next CoD isn't released 6 months after the last one. They get everything they can out of the first game and then move onto the next. Though I highly doubt they are sitting on a finished DoA6 (or stealing resources from DoA6) just so they can release another $75 or whatever it is season pass. They'd make even more money just releasing DoA6 and selling us the same costumes all over again.

A Virtua Fighter 6 wouldn't require hundreds in cosmetic DLC to justify itself.

Are you sure? SFV is headed in that direction, MvCi is headed in that direction, NetherRealm has tons of DLC, Arcsys fighters have "updates". VF6 would just like every other fighter find some way to milk their fanbase. And if they make a great game and milk it correctly, I have no problem with them doing it.

Synth

That's not what he is saying though. He is saying licensing VF characters to TN is basically free money, or at least "free" compared to the amount of money it would take to develop VF6.

Seriously though, if it bothers you that fighting games are milking a limited audience maybe fighters aren't you for any more. Unless Riot comes out with a fighter that lights the world on fire, milking DLC seems to be every big fighters goal/necessity to stay alive. I don't know if there is a fighter out there that can match the sales of some of the other genres, let alone other Esports.

I get people aren't happy about the amount of costumes released, I just don't care. I'm much more unhappy with the character and stage DLC. If DoA6 comes out and they release 200000 costumes over its lifetime and never charge for characters or stages that would be an absolute win in my book.

I think I remember you saying you think they are purposely holding back DoA6 so they can make more DLC for 5. In a way, yeah probably. That is what every game does. That's why the next CoD isn't released 6 months after the last one. They get everything they can out of the first game and then move onto the next. Though I highly doubt they are sitting on a finished DoA6 (or stealing resources from DoA6) just so they can release another $75 or whatever it is season pass. They'd make even more money just releasing DoA6 and selling us the same costumes all over again.

The bolded pretty much directly translate to "most return on least possible effort" though. In order for Sega to only use Virtua Fighter as a cross-promotional thing at the expense of never having a VF6, that's basically the mentality it would require... otherwise you'd make a VF6 even with the cross-promotion stuff. He didn't just say that licensing VF is free money. He initially (and has repeatedly in the past) claimed they "make more money" licensing VF than it makes as an actual game.

I don't think it's fair to suggest that fighters aren't for me anymore simply because I disapprove of Dead or Alive's current direction. I buy a shitton of fighting games (possibly the majority released), and the only ones I think I've been significantly critical of in recent times have been DOA5LR (not even the original DOA5 as released last gen), and Street Fighter V (and that's more to do with the Fight Money model than the DLC itself). I'm actually incredibly easy to sell DLC to, but I just don't like when it appears that the DLC model is being prioritised over the base game.. which with DOA5 I honestly think has been the case, and that Last Round and it's accompanying DLC was chosen as a priority over a new game, as a result of the renewable income a $75 season pass every 6 or so months. I'd honestly be far less critical if there were fewer signs of things being phoned in when compared to before this model became the basis. If so many of the costumes weren't basically palette swaps across the characters, if the PC version wasn't such a mess, if the current gen console versions actually had some respectable AA, if DLC didn't recheck itself on every boot up on XB1 making it takes minutes to load up unless you delete it all, if DOAX3 wasn't a DOAX2-lite throwing legacy characters away in favor of a "paid vote" system to draw more out of the fanbase (not to even mention their initial ticket model attempt). It's a combination of a whole lot of things, that seemingly became borne out of the realisation that selling the costumes is better for them than selling a solid game. That doesn't mean the game isn't solid.. but it's starting to feel like anything good in DOA5 is simply a result of its original commendable attempt to be taken more seriously at the start. These aren't "fighting game genre" complaints... they're Dead or Alive series complaints, and if I didn't care about the series I wouldn't even bother to have them, but the series has been my second favourite 3D fighter since the original game in 1996, and it's only very recently that I haven't been happy with its direction. If I felt like the DLC was purely additive, and wasn't affecting anything else, I'd be fine with them creating as much of it as they like... but comparing Dead or Alive 5 with all four previous entries suggests this isn't the case at all.

Are you sure? SFV is headed in that direction, MvCi is headed in that direction, NetherRealm has tons of DLC, Arcsys fighters have "updates". VF6 would just like every other fighter find some way to milk their fanbase. And if they make a great game and milk it correctly, I have no problem with them doing it.

Not 100% sure no, but I'd also argue that having cosmetic DLC isn't the same as requiring it. Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 both have optional cosmetics, but like Tekken they're treated in a standard unlock manner. NetherRealm sure as hell don't rely on their DLC to balance the books... every game typically has some DLC simply because they can... but they don't all require them for survival. If anything most of difference of opinion is what "milking it correctly" actually entails. SFV for example. Season Pass? Cool... but the fact that you can buy the season pass to avoid using up your limited FM on characters with the intent on using it for cosmetics instead, only for them to then make later costumes not obtainable with FM?... Not cool at all.

Hubb

He initially (and has repeatedly in the past) claimed they "make more money" licensing VF than it makes as an actual game.

Yeah this is a case of me filtering out Shin's outlandish claims and trying to reason out what he is trying to say. I disagree with shin and agree with pretty much everyone else on the the bolded's claim.

I don't think it's fair to suggest that fighters aren't for me anymore simply because I disapprove of Dead or Alive's current direction.

You are right and I should have explained what I meant better. I didn't mean fighting games themselves weren't for you, more so that "games as a service" is the model most fighters are going to take going forward and from everything you have said, you don't seem to like that. I won't get into SFV because I do enjoy playing it, and it is currently my most played fighter, but I fucking hate their business model for the game and I could spend all day complaining about it.

I'm actually incredibly easy to sell DLC to, but I just don't like when it appears that the DLC model is being prioritised over the base game.. which with DOA5 I honestly think has been the case, and that Last Round and it's accompanying DLC was chosen as a priority over a new game, as a result of the renewable income a $75 season pass every 6 or so months. I'd honestly be far less critical if there were fewer signs of things being phoned in when compared to before this model became the basis.

Yeah I'm not sure where to go with this so hopefully it doesn't come off as a complete ramble. The people creating the DLC aren't going to be the people who are creating to base/meat and bones of DoA6, and if DoA6 gets announced at TGS (or sometime this year) I don't think it is fair to say that DLC is a priority over a new game. Not that I think it is fair to say the DLC has taken priority anyway. I have no idea what their internal teams look like and how many people they had to put on Nioh and how many of those were taken/borrowed from the DoA team.

If so many of the costumes weren't basically palette swaps across the characters, if the PC version wasn't such a mess, if the current gen console versions actually had some respectable AA, if DLC didn't recheck itself on every boot up on XB1 making it takes minutes to load up unless you delete it all, if DOAX3 wasn't a DOAX2-lite throwing legacy characters away in favor of a "paid vote" system to draw more out of the fanbase (not to even mention their initial ticket model attempt). It's a combination of a whole lot of things, that seemingly became borne out of the realisation that selling the costumes is better for them than selling a solid game.

I'm not going to sit here and defend the PC version, because I think the way they handled it was shit. Whether intentionally or just another shit KT PC port I don't know. DLC checking sucks too and happens on the PS4, no defense there. DoAX3 is kind of funny because I thought they'd milk that harder and to be honest I don't even see the point of buying the tickets or whatever. Everything could be easily gotten in the game already. But overall yeah, DoAX3 was a letdown on many fronts, though I don't regret my purchase.

With all that said, I still am not seeing how you get to the bolded. There are 2 options, either they make a DoA6 or they don't. If they don't, then yeah, all these costumes are just to milk the franchise until there is nothing left; literally. If they do make a DoA6, I just can't wrap my head around thinking that they are making more money selling the current DLC than they would if they just released DoA6 and sold the DLC all over again. And if they do make a DoA6, I'm going to go ahead and assume that this DLC is partly funding the game.

These aren't "fighting game genre" complaints... they're Dead or Alive series complaints, and if I didn't care about the series I wouldn't even bother to have them, but the series has been my second favourite 3D fighter since the original game in 1996, and it's only very recently that I haven't been happy with its direction. If I felt like the DLC was purely additive, and wasn't affecting anything else, I'd be fine with them creating as much of it as they like... but comparing Dead or Alive 5 with all four previous entries suggests this isn't the case at all.

This is kind of more of what I went over earlier, but yeah I am not buying it. I mean I can't control your feelings, but I don't understand what you think these costumes are taking away. Or I guess like I said before, I can't wrap my head around you thinking they are purposely prioritizing this DLC instead of releasing a new game. Specially when doing both at the same time makes the most sense if there is ever going to be a new game.

Comparing DoA5 to past games is a tough ask. It is a different time, for all fighting games. I'll get more into that down below.

Not 100% sure no, but I'd also argue that having cosmetic DLC isn't the same as requiring it. Virtua Fighter 4 and 5 both have optional cosmetics, but like Tekken they're treated in a standard unlock manner. NetherRealm sure as hell don't rely on their DLC to balance the books... every game typically has some DLC simply because they can... but they don't all require them for survival. If anything most of difference of opinion is what "milking it correctly" actually entails. SFV for example. Season Pass? Cool... but the fact that you can buy the season pass to avoid using up your limited FM on characters with the intent on using it for cosmetics instead, only for them to then make later costumes not obtainable with FM?... Not cool at all.

Tekken, specifically Tekken 7 is a bit of a unique player. It spent so much time in the arcades where it made a lot of its money before ever coming out on consoles. The console release was more of a "send off" to Tekken 7 than it was the start of a new Tekken gen. Tekken 7 does have a lot of unlockables, so did DoA5, Tekken 7's season pass thing looks laughable (to me at least). Whether it is true or not I don't know but I remember Harada saying they needed the season pass to keep the team together otherwise it was release the game and then split the team off into what I can only assume is different games. I've bought Tekken 7, but unless thing change I won't be touching the season pass.

VF4 came out 16ish years ago and 5 came out 12ish years ago. If I am being honest I never even played 4 so I can't really speak to it and I barely remember my time with 5. That being said, if 6 was released today, expect it to have some kind of DLC model just like every other big fighter released today.

Like I said before, I am not going to defend SFV's business model at all. It seems they had some kind of f2p hybrid model in their mind and just couldn't get it to work, so we are left with the current shit. SFV is using its DLC for survival though (and it should). SFV has a chance to turn the game into a long term success for the company.

Through all of that, I still don't see how DoA releasing a ton of costumes is a bad thing or is problematic where every other game isn't just because they release less cosmetic DLC. I don't think they need to keep releasing DLC packs for their survival. I hate lootboxes with a passion, I still play the fuck out of Overwatch. I just never buy any lootboxes even though they do their damnedest to release stuff I'd want to get.

EDIT: DoA5 came out 5 years ago. Yeah I am ready for DoA6, been ready for awhile. If it comes out next year that means I will probably be waiting longer for The Last of Us 2 than I will for DoA6. 5-6 years isn't some unprecedented gap for fighting games. In my perfect world DoA6 is released next year with a promise of no paid DLC characters, stages, or paid updates and instead they release a million costumes/cosmetic items. Fuck it, make the costumes loot boxes for all I care just deliver on the game.

oneida

one thing to keep in mind is that unlike SFV, unlike MvCI, unlike most fighting games these days, VF is still an arcade-first franchise. Do we need cosmetic DLC when you're inherently locked into a microtransaction (500 yen to play...) model?

FWIW i don't give a shit and would give SEGA all my money for cosmetic items because I love the game. but it's something to consider.

Synth

Yeah this is a case of me filtering out Shin's outlandish claims and trying to reason out what he is trying to say. I disagree with shin and agree with pretty much everyone else on the the bolded's claim.

Ok, cool. We'll set this bit aside then.

You are right and I should have explained what I meant better. I didn't mean fighting games themselves weren't for you, more so that "games as a service" is the model most fighters are going to take going forward and from everything you have said, you don't seem to like that. I won't get into SFV because I do enjoy playing it, and it is currently my most played fighter, but I fucking hate their business model for the game and I could spend all day complaining about it.

Yeah I'm not sure where to go with this so hopefully it doesn't come off as a complete ramble. The people creating the DLC aren't going to be the people who are creating to base/meat and bones of DoA6, and if DoA6 gets announced at TGS (or sometime this year) I don't think it is fair to say that DLC is a priority over a new game. Not that I think it is fair to say the DLC has taken priority anyway. I have no idea what their internal teams look like and how many people they had to put on Nioh and how many of those were taken/borrowed from the DoA team.

Games-as-a-service is something I'm generally rather supportive of, and often for the same reasons you allude to with a potential DOA6 (not splintering the userbase in regards to additional content that affects actual gameplay). I definitely prefer the DLC/patch/season model of most current fighters to the Super/Ultimate/Revelator/Continuum Shift model that was previously the norm. I just think it shouldn't result in the stagnation of releases in the way that DOA5's seems to have. I'm aware that the same people don't work on cosmetic DLC as would be creating new gameplay systems or engine updates for a new game (they would overlap with the asset creation for that game in most cases however). I do think "too much DLC" is a possibility however, as it does start to reposition the brand. The IP starts to be viewed as "that doll dressup" game, as much as it is a fighter, and that then begins to reinforce itself due to the audience it then leaves itself with. A DOA6 that followed DOA5 would likely be notably different from a DOA6 that'll follow DOA5LR. Hell, a DOAX3 that followed DOA5LR already has notable differences in mentality, as I'll go into more detail below.

I'm not going to sit here and defend the PC version, because I think the way they handled it was shit. Whether intentionally or just another shit KT PC port I don't know. DLC checking sucks too and happens on the PS4, no defense there. DoAX3 is kind of funny because I thought they'd milk that harder and to be honest I don't even see the point of buying the tickets or whatever. Everything could be easily gotten in the game already. But overall yeah, DoAX3 was a letdown on many fronts, though I don't regret my purchase.

With all that said, I still am not seeing how you get to the bolded. There are 2 options, either they make a DoA6 or they don't. If they don't, then yeah, all these costumes are just to milk the franchise until there is nothing left; literally. If they do make a DoA6, I just can't wrap my head around thinking that they are making more money selling the current DLC than they would if they just released DoA6 and sold the DLC all over again. And if they do make a DoA6, I'm going to go ahead and assume that this DLC is partly funding the game.

The bolded admittedly applies more to DOAX3, as DOA5 was already released as a solid product prior to Team Ninja's apparent shift in focus. But it does show how optional content can very much be at the expense of the core product. Can everything really be realistically (let alone easily gotten in the game without the tickets?

- Why do you think there's now a 1.5m cap on credits?
- Why does the owner mode exist, which prevents you unlocking most things via standard gameplay?
- Why are the additional outfits rotated out every few weeks?
- Why can't you get the Clam suit today?

Each of these points are tied directly to the DLC ticket model, and combine to make a poor game.

The reason you're surprised that they didn't milk the tickets harder is simply because they tried, and actually managed to cross the line where the fans got up in arms about it. The first set of DLC outfits contained the Clam which could only be obtained with tickets... and the amount of tickets that would be required would to complete the set of this singular DLC outfit would have been over $500!!! The only reason this wasn't the case with each succeeding set was because the anger was loud enough to discourage it.

Suits are rotated for the same reason event skins in Overwatch have limited availability. By making them available for a window of time too short for most to simply unlock them through gameplay, you encourage people to purchase the tickets that guarantee them. This ties into the owner mode, which is a new way to ensure the player remains poor, even if they play a lot of volleyball, and the 1.5m credit cap that prevents money from piling up during standard gameplay, or being used to bet safely at the casino. Without resorting to actually cheating via circumventing the game's save mechanics, unlocking stuff in DOAX3 is very close to being actually impossible. And it's not by accident. And even when abusing the system, it's left the progress and gameplay completely detached, as simply quitting your way through each vacation for owner cash makes more sense than playing as any of the characters, because they can't actually buy most items.

Again, this comes down to how the "optional" content is handled. In the previous games it was handled in a way that didn't detract from the game itself in a significant manner, much like how something like quest mode or versus for unlocking cosmetics in Virtua Fighter doesn't. In DOAX3 though the monetisation model has very clearly been made a priority over delivering a solid game, and I'd be very surprised if anyone were able to make a solid case otherwise. It permeates every aspect of the game, right up to the character vote requiring the purchase of themes.

This is kind of more of what I went over earlier, but yeah I am not buying it. I mean I can't control your feelings, but I don't understand what you think these costumes are taking away. Or I guess like I said before, I can't wrap my head around you thinking they are purposely prioritizing this DLC instead of releasing a new game. Specially when doing both at the same time makes the most sense if there is ever going to be a new game.

Comparing DoA5 to past games is a tough ask. It is a different time, for all fighting games. I'll get more into that down below.

Tekken, specifically Tekken 7 is a bit of a unique player. It spent so much time in the arcades where it made a lot of its money before ever coming out on consoles. The console release was more of a "send off" to Tekken 7 than it was the start of a new Tekken gen. Tekken 7 does have a lot of unlockables, so did DoA5, Tekken 7's season pass thing looks laughable (to me at least). Whether it is true or not I don't know but I remember Harada saying they needed the season pass to keep the team together otherwise it was release the game and then split the team off into what I can only assume is different games. I've bought Tekken 7, but unless thing change I won't be touching the season pass.

VF4 came out 16ish years ago and 5 came out 12ish years ago. If I am being honest I never even played 4 so I can't really speak to it and I barely remember my time with 5. That being said, if 6 was released today, expect it to have some kind of DLC model just like every other big fighter released today.

Like I said before, I am not going to defend SFV's business model at all. It seems they had some kind of f2p hybrid model in their mind and just couldn't get it to work, so we are left with the current shit. SFV is using its DLC for survival though (and it should). SFV has a chance to turn the game into a long term success for the company.

Through all of that, I still don't see how DoA releasing a ton of costumes is a bad thing or is problematic where every other game isn't just because they release less cosmetic DLC. I don't think they need to keep releasing DLC packs for their survival.

I mean... look at the example you just gave in Tekken. You're saying that Tekken doesn't need to have an endless stream of cheaply farmed out DLC, because it makes it money in the arcades first and foremost. How would you suggest that this wouldn't be the case for Virtua Fighter also? Virtua Fighter has been so arcade focused, that previous complaints have often been that revisions like VF4 Final Tuned, VF5R and for the longest time VF5 Final Showdown never even bothered to leave the arcade. Tekken's model isn't unique, it's the standard model basically every fighter in existence followed previously. It was a shock to find out SFV was going to release without an initial arcade release, because even as recently as Street Fighter IV, the series would sit making money in the arcades for a substantial window or time prior to releasing on home consoles (with the home release of SFIV basically being a v2 release like Tekken 7).. and after SFV's performance, I wouldn't be surprised to see it return to that with the next entry.

Hubb

one thing to keep in mind is that unlike SFV, unlike MvCI, unlike most fighting games these days, VF is still an arcade-first franchise. Do we need cosmetic DLC when you're inherently locked into a microtransaction (500 yen to play...) model?

FWIW i don't give a shit and would give SEGA all my money for cosmetic items because I love the game. but it's something to consider.

Didn't Tekken 7 have premium costumes or however those arcade cards works? I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to do it.

I mean... look at the example you just gave in Tekken. You're saying that Tekken doesn't need to have an endless stream of cheaply farmed out DLC, because it makes it money in the arcades first and foremost. How would you suggest that this wouldn't be the case for Virtua Fighter also? Virtua Fighter has been so arcade focused, that previous complaints have often been that revisions like VF4 Final Tuned, VF5R and for the longest time VF5 Final Showdown never even bothered to leave the arcade. Tekken's model isn't unique, it's the standard model basically every fighter in existence followed previously. It was a shock to find out SFV was going to release without an initial arcade release, because even as recently as Street Fighter IV, the series would sit making money in the arcades for a substantial window or time prior to releasing on home consoles (with the home release of SFIV basically being a v2 release like Tekken 7).. and after SFV's performance, I wouldn't be surprised to see it return to that with the next entry.

Tekken doesn't because unless things change, it doesn't seem like it is going to have a long dev life (if any) after the season pass finishes. Where as games like SFV and DoA5 didn't end at their console release, that was their day 1. If Tekken 7 wants to keep making changes/updates/adding new characters beyond the season pass, then yeah, I fully expect them to have more cosmetic DLC. It might not be unique if we take the fighting game genre from its inception to now, but it will be a unique model moving forward (imo). Not many devs, specially if they aren't based in Japan, are going to want to release a game in the arcades and wait 2 years for it to come to consoles. Doubly so if Esports keeps getting bigger and whoever the dev is wants to get in on that.

I guess I just want to know what you think is specially being taken away from DoA with them releasing all these costumes. If it simply is you think they aren't releasing DoA6 because they are making small amounts of money on the current DLC then I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Account cards have basically turned arcade cabs into dopamine pasteur pipettes. The carrot on the stick being costumes, characters, or other benefits depending on games. This keeps people coming back for more.

Also cabs are usually 100 yen a play, cheaper if you goto A-cho

ShinMaruku

Now let me clarify my statements. I was not intending that though out the period of years Sega has made more money with just pure licensing.

What I intended to say is I trust Sega to do that more than I would expect them to make a new Virtua Fighter. It can all be put to opportunity cost and how these guys appear to think. Am2 the developers of Virtua Fighter have made a Hatsune Miku game and several mobile games, it seems to me that currently they are following the mobile trend and seem content with getting whatever value they have out if the ip.

My beef is less with the game and market and more with Sega. Have they shown any interest with doing another vf? They seem far more interested with Sonic than anything else. I don't know if Sega is willing.

Kumubou

One of the things I think a lot of people here are missing is that having F2P content helps drive engagement. which is much more important for a multiplayer game. Why do you think most mobile game in existence has rewards for logging in and playing every day (with more retail games adding such systems)? They want the act of playing the game to become an ingrained habit so that people do it every day, even if they don't immediately buy into the game. Maybe they'll spend money after investing more time into the game. Or maybe they'll bring their friends into the game and they'll spend money.

The problem with DoA (and most fighting games, to be honest) is that the actual act of playing the game with others online is an excruciating experience. You can't really do anything to drive engagement when the moment-to-moment experience is as painful as this is. Which is why I harp on this point every time it comes up.

There's also the not insignificant detail of actually coming up with enough content to drive continued engagement with the game and its microtransactions. Overwatch's model is probably the closest, and people there go nuts for lootcrates for outfits for their favorite waifus. That and Team Ninja has shown at least some ability to get new content out on a regular basis, so I would probably use that as a starting point.

Synth

Didn't Tekken 7 have premium costumes or however those arcade cards works? I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to do it.

Tekken doesn't because unless things change, it doesn't seem like it is going to have a long dev life (if any) after the season pass finishes. Where as games like SFV and DoA5 didn't end at their console release, that was their day 1. If Tekken 7 wants to keep making changes/updates/adding new characters beyond the season pass, then yeah, I fully expect them to have more cosmetic DLC. It might not be unique if we take the fighting game genre from its inception to now, but it will be a unique model moving forward (imo). Not many devs, specially if they aren't based in Japan, are going to want to release a game in the arcades and wait 2 years for it to come to consoles. Doubly so if Esports keeps getting bigger and whoever the dev is wants to get in on that.

I guess I just want to know what you think is specially being taken away from DoA with them releasing all these costumes. If it simply is you think they aren't releasing DoA6 because they are making small amounts of money on the current DLC then I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Yea, I guess we will need to agree to disagree. I definitely feel that at the very least room is being created to allow for the DLC model, and that Last Round's hasty move to the current gen was pretty much entirely made for the purpose of ramping things up in that area.

DLC in general is very much going to be the norm going forwards, and even exists for the home release of VF5FS. Dead or Alive 5's model of endless cosmetics, and very little in the way of gameplay expansion however, I don't think is likely to be the norm at all, because it's actually at odds with the majority audience for the genre (which is partially why it catches so much shit for it). Stuff like the combat packs for Mortal Kombat. or the different season of characters in Killer Instinct and Street Fighter aren't very similar to DOA5LR's model, which has seen 8 new characters that bring any additional gameplay to the table over the course of 5 years, and 6 of those hit as part of standard upgraded editions. If anything the favoring of costumes over gameplay content juxtaposes current Dead or Alive's DLC model against other fighters in general. I'd much prefer Dead or Alive's longterm support consisted of more characters, or expansions of story content etc, as opposed to what it actually has been.

The arcade would almost certainly remain the pillar model for Virtua Fighter, likely even moreso than for Tekken (as it always has been in the past), so I would definitely say Tekken's situation applies far more to a potential VF6 than Dead or Alive's would. Dead or Alive mostly jettisoned the arcade model back with Dead or Alive 2. This would likely remain true, even if a console release occurred day and date with the arcade version.

One of the things I think a lot of people here are missing is that having F2P content helps drive engagement. which is much more important for a multiplayer game. Why do you think most mobile game in existence has rewards for logging in and playing every day (with more retail games adding such systems)? They want the act of playing the game to become an ingrained habit so that people do it every day, even if they don't immediately buy into the game. Maybe they'll spend money after investing more time into the game. Or maybe they'll bring their friends into the game and they'll spend money.

The problem with DoA (and most fighting games, to be honest) is that the actual act of playing the game with others online is an excruciating experience. You can't really do anything to drive engagement when the moment-to-moment experience is as painful as this is. Which is why I harp on this point every time it comes up.

There's also the not insignificant detail of actually coming up with enough content to drive continued engagement with the game and its microtransactions. Overwatch's model is probably the closest, and people there go nuts for lootcrates for outfits for their favorite waifus. That and Team Ninja has shown at least some ability to get new content out on a regular basis, so I would probably use that as a starting point.

I would argue that gameplay content drives longterm engagement more than cosmetics would. People go crazy over Overwatch event skins etc.. but those are typically being driven by actual new modes, maps, lore and such being added to the game as well. Playing as Kasumi in her new bikini doesn't alter Dead or Alive 5 in a meaningful way from the last 50 outfits that were added for the character. On it's own it only promotes the superficial aspects of the game, which is furthering the niche it's finding itself in.

Azuardo

I would love it if they had added Story 2.0 to DOA5 after a couple of years. We've been stuck with the same launch story of DOA5 since 2012, and even with two major game updates and many new characters, the story is exactly the same. It sucks that we're now scraping the bottom of the barrel in spinoffs like Warriors All-Stars to learn even the slightest bit more about Marie, Honoka, and even Kasumi, Ayane, Ryu etc.

I know story isn't the core appeal of fighters, and I totally understand the need for cosmetic DLC, but continuing to flesh the game itself and its lore out I think is important too.

Anyway, I need to catch up on the discussion. I just saw something Synth wrote above and felt the need to throw some pennies in because all these characters absent from the current story is annoying, and defo think they could have at least added some new single-player content in the past five years. BlazBlue adds a lot of new story stuff in each revision, and SF5 at least puts in some cheap-ass comic things with 3 or 4 battles for all new DLC characters.

As you were.

5OZHWvs.png

oneida

Now let me clarify my statements. I was not intending that though out the period of years Sega has made more money with just pure licensing.

What I intended to say is I trust Sega to do that more than I would expect them to make a new Virtua Fighter. It can all be put to opportunity cost and how these guys appear to think. Am2 the developers of Virtua Fighter have made a Hatsune Miku game and several mobile games, it seems to me that currently they are following the mobile trend and seem content with getting whatever value they have out if the ip.

My beef is less with the game and market and more with Sega. Have they shown any interest with doing another vf? They seem far more interested with Sonic than anything else. I don't know if Sega is willing.
mobile? sonic and nothing else? man, you're seeing what you want to see. how about the arcade racer they announced like a month ago? it runs on Unreal 4 and they've already had a location test! or the First of the North Star game by the yakuza team that was just revealed like two weeks ago? alongside 2 yakuza games?

Korigama

Personally, I never really felt that DoA5 was particularly lacking in respect to character selection. Expanding the roster to the extent that SFV did (which started with only 16 characters) seemed more of a necessity, since its current roster size only surpassed the original DoA5's 24 characters with this season. Not to say that I would've minded more characters, which it did get as things built up to LR, but the prioritization of cosmetic DLC doesn't bother me (particularly when comparing the pricing for individual costumes vs. SFV). There's already a great deal of variety in the gameplay for the 36 available at this point, but since it's questionable if the VF guest characters will return in a new game, and unlikely that Naotora or Mai will factor in either, there would still be room to introduce new permanent additions without bloat becoming an issue. Overall, how many characters they add in the future isn't really make or break for me, provided they don't lag with bringing back older characters as SFV has.

As for story...I may as well be blunt and say that GGXrd and BB are the only fighting games in which I would advise anyone to play for story (and I didn't care about BB's again until Chrono Phantasma, as Continuum Shift's villain love letter of a story was crap). I keep track of developments with DoA's story, but they need to do much better than DoA5's for me to actually want more of it. Also, bringing back character-specific story content through arcade mode would be helpful for keeping new characters added relevant (potentially serving as prologues that tie into the main story, as the case is with the Xrd games' arcade modes), as opposed to a devoted story mode locking them out entirely.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if there was an option to earn in-game currency to use for unlocking new characters (and potentially outfits) in a DoA6, as SFV allows for. It would be helpful if the idea would be to increase the number of new characters added significantly, anyway.

Synth

Yea, I should qualify that when I talk about stuff like characters being added in other games, that's simply because it was being brought up as equivalence for other games, one that I disagree is really the same, or even close to being so. I definitely wouldn't claim that Dead or Alive 5 itself is lacking in content, either in regards to characters or costumes right out of the box.

In regards to stories in fighters, there are few that I feel do a respectable job... to add to the examples you gave, I'd also add the King of Fighters games (especially pre-2000), the first 3 Tekken games, Mortal Kombat 9 (probably the best imo) and the first Injustice (haven't played IJ2 yet). The thing is though, despite many doing a poor job, I don't think its something the genre should be ignoring, or that we should just write them off as a lost cause. I've said it multiple times, but I think Virtua Fighter absolutely should be making more effort to incorporate its story into the games, as it helps flesh out the characters and draws people in before they eventually fall for the games' actual mechanics. It's ridiculous that I've been playing the games since VF2, and yet everything I know about the events that occur have basically come from a handful of lines in the instruction booklets that recap what happened to each character the previous tourney. The average person sees Heihachi and Kazuya, and know of their history long before Tekken 7 made a dedicated story mode for it... meanwhile the average person looks at the Virtua Fighter cast as a collection of blank archetypes (ninja guy, drunken guy, wrestler guy, kung fu girl, etc) because they aren't given any actual context in the game itself. A similar situation exists for the DOA5LR characters that weren't included in the story mode... they're just kinda there in comparison.

For Dead or Alive 5, I definitely think the story mode could have been better handled with the more traditional "arcade mode" structure that the games used for DOA 2 thru 4. DOA4 especially did a great job of telling an overall story using the various points of views of each character, whereas DOA5's was comparably all over the place, and many characters felt under-utilised.

Korigama

Can agree with KoF once having been an example of one that used to do well with story. For me, 2000 was the last time it was worth it, with the end to the NESTS saga in 2001 having been a complete trainwreck (the question of how much of it even counted beyond NESTS getting taken down not helping matters, given K9999 getting retconned from the entire series and Nameless not being anything like him in terms of personality or motivations, and Angel having no connection to the latter in spite of originally being closely linked to the former...but I despised K9999 anyway, so I don't lament that). So much wasted potential with the Ash saga, with lots and lots of dropped plot points, as well as walking back the Mark of the Wolves aspects that 2003 and XI introduced (which took until XIV to start coming back with Rock).

It would be nice if this new arc started in XIV turns out better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Loona

In regards to stories in fighters, there are few that I feel do a respectable job... to add to the examples you gave, I'd also add the King of Fighters games (especially pre-2000), the first 3 Tekken games, Mortal Kombat 9 (probably the best imo) and the first Injustice (haven't played IJ2 yet). The thing is though, despite many doing a poor job, I don't think its something the genre should be ignoring, or that we should just write them off as a lost cause. I've said it multiple times, but I think Virtua Fighter absolutely should be making more effort to incorporate its story into the games, as it helps flesh out the characters and draws people in before they eventually fall for the games' actual mechanics. It's ridiculous that I've been playing the games since VF2, and yet everything I know about the events that occur have basically come from a handful of lines in the instruction booklets that recap what happened to each character the previous tourney. The average person sees Heihachi and Kazuya, and know of their history long before Tekken 7 made a dedicated story mode for it... meanwhile the average person looks at the Virtua Fighter cast as a collection of blank archetypes (ninja guy, drunken guy, wrestler guy, kung fu girl, etc) because they aren't given any actual context in the game itself. A similar situation exists for the DOA5LR characters that weren't included in the story mode... they're just kinda there in comparison.

For Dead or Alive 5, I definitely think the story mode could have been better handled with the more traditional "arcade mode" structure that the games used for DOA 2 thru 4. DOA4 especially did a great job of telling an overall story using the various points of views of each character, whereas DOA5's was comparably all over the place, and many characters felt under-utilised.

The praise for MK9's story mode still baffles me - sure it's cinematic, but we're talking about a mode that starts you off using a character with the game's most atypical X-Ray attack (actually a counterattack; so it does a poor job of introducing you to the game's mechanics) against an opponent that can turn invisible (so it can be extra disorienting if you're just getting started with the game) - in this aspect, at most pitting Cage against Reptile would be a good example of having the least aware character in the game starting off of something way over his head, which can serve as something of a sink-or-swim introduction to the setting. But to me the cardinal sin of that story mode is that once you're done it doesn't let you select chapters. So you're done with the final Shao Khan fight after playing through all of the cast and want to watch/play through your favorite moments? Tough luck, back to the very beginning with you...
Do the other NRS story modes still do this?...

DoA5 not only lets you select chapters, it also maps them out so they're organized in a vertical timeline that orders every event chronologically, and every column corresponds to a character, although Lisa, Christie and the unlockables (including VF cast) don't get chapters of their own, and Kasumi gets more than one, not to mention several of the chapters serve as tutorials or challenges one can revisit individually any time after completion. It's not the Grand Martial Arts Narrative of the Video Game Medium, but I'll be damned if it's not doing a whole lot of things the genre should be learning from (assuming they don't have a prohibitively expensive patent on it or something).

Synth

The praise for MK9's story mode still baffles me - sure it's cinematic, but we're talking about a mode that starts you off using a character with the game's most atypical X-Ray attack (actually a counterattack; so it does a poor job of introducing you to the game's mechanics) against an opponent that can turn invisible (so it can be extra disorienting if you're just getting started with the game) - in this aspect, at most pitting Cage against Reptile would be a good example of having the least aware character in the game starting off of something way over his head, which can serve as something of a sink-or-swim introduction to the setting. But to me the cardinal sin of that story mode is that once you're done it doesn't let you select chapters. So you're done with the final Shao Khan fight after playing through all of the cast and want to watch/play through your favorite moments? Tough luck, back to the very beginning with you...
Do the other NRS story modes still do this?...

DoA5 not only lets you select chapters, it also maps them out so they're organized in a vertical timeline that orders every event chronologically, and every column corresponds to a character, although Lisa, Christie and the unlockables (including VF cast) don't get chapters of their own, and Kasumi gets more than one, not to mention several of the chapters serve as tutorials or challenges one can revisit individually any time after completion. It's not the Grand Martial Arts Narrative of the Video Game Medium, but I'll be damned if it's not doing a whole lot of things the genre should be learning from (assuming they don't have a prohibitively expensive patent on it or something).

This is actually a really good point, and something I'd never really considered. I guess the reason nobody complains about the inability to return to previous chapters in NRS games, is simply because they don't return to the story mode at all once completed... or if they do it's probably to play the entire thing again from the start regardless. Mortal Kombat's (and Injustice's) story mode gets praise not for its structure, but for the effort they make in presenting it well, and making the events in it meaningful, and not seemingly full of filler. It also helps that along with King of Fighters and early Tekken, Mortal Kombat has one of the few stories in fighters that are legitimately interesting in and of itself (Injustice obviously benefits from established comic book lore).

The timeline of DOA5 kinda needs the chronology mapped out more than most games would, because it hops all over the place, and would otherwise be very difficult to follow (it kinda is even with it). Most games are simpler in that the different characters isolated stories all run alongside each other from start to finish, or you view all the events in a straight chronological order. Truthfully, I disliked how Dead or Alive 5 presents its order of events, and so it's definitely not something I'd want to see emulated in order games.. but if a game is going to make the choice to jump around its timeline as you switch characters, then yes it'd probably be for the best that they have a mechanism that details what happened when.

Another thing which I guess causes Mortal Kombat to get a pass, is simply that people are so used to the Mortal Kombat cast that in most cases they already to some extent know how to play as most characters. The sudden switches however are something that I did consider an issue (moreso with Injustice with its unfamiliar cast), as I'd often find myself thrown into fights with characters I had no gameplan for. I guess this is the logic for Dead or Alive separating its chapters by character, rather than by chronology... but it's basically a tradeoff between two undesirable consequences. This is kinda why I most found of the standard arcade mode structure where each character's story starts prior to whatever tournament is happening, and runs straight through to the aftermath. The common tradeoff here however is there are often paradoxical events that occur, because every character you play as becomes the victor, whereas canonically certain characters are destined to lose to others. This often only gets cleared up when a sequel establishes which of these events really happened.

Tyaren

I think TGS is the time for either one of SC6 or DOA6 to be announced. I'd prefer DOA, but I'll be very happy with SC.

As I already said in another thread, my greatest dream would be them announcing the unholy trinity of 3D fighting games on TGS:

-Dead or Alive 6
-Soul Calibur 6
-Virtua Fighter 6

If you think about it...it could actually happen. All games have chances to be worked on right now. Well, Virtua Fighter a bit less... :(

Azuardo

DOA5 Infinite for mobiles announced... Chinese-developed RPG of sorts for China at least.

In public beta atm.

Gotta say, I'm in love with the new character art. Amusing how they cover up the cleavages on the website, but not in-game.

https://youtu.be/MWuJ6WHG748

http://www.doa5.cn/

There's news on the site page going back to April, so dunno if we just missed this, or it went under the radar till now when the beta went out.

Azuardo

As I already said in another thread, my greatest dream would be them announcing the unholy trinity of 3D fighting games on TGS:

-Dead or Alive 6
-Soul Calibur 6
-Virtua Fighter 6

If you think about it...it could actually happen. All games have chances to be worked on right now. Well, Virtua Fighter a bit less... :(

What a wet dream for fighting fans that would be. Not sure it'd be good for any of the companies tho, knowing they'd all be competing for attention with each other and potentially releassing around the same time too. But it's nice to dream.

Loona

DOA5 Infinite for mobiles announced... Chinese-developed RPG of sorts for China at least.

In public beta atm.

Gotta say, I'm in love with the new character art. Amusing how they cover up the cleavages on the website, but not in-game.

There's news on the site page going back to April, so dunno if we just missed this, or it went under the radar till now when the beta went out.

After watching the whole video, that seems pretty damn similar to the also-mobile KoF98UMOL in terms of structure, gameplay, GUI and even some sound effects - possibly work by the same company, I guess, or at least based on some pre-existing common structure...

Mesharey

In public beta atm.

It looks cute, I saw the art in twitter today and noticed it was really good, didn't know it was for this game.
I want an English version!

https://twitter.com/CatzDaLegit/status/906231769208369152
Other characters in his twitter account.

Azuardo

It looks cute, I saw the art in twitter today and noticed it was really good, didn't know it was for this game.
I want an English version!

https://twitter.com/CatzDaLegit/status/906231769208369152
Other characters in his twitter account.

Oh nice, I was sharing the ones on the website, but he's got more character art not on there. I need the uncensored ones now XD

Not sure if this will get an English release tho. These games often tend to stay in China and other Asian regions.

Top Bottom