• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 |OT| Welcome to the After Party

Redshirt

Banned
Yeah, the 200k kills trial is absurd. I thought maybe it was meant to account for the DLCs, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Riding around on a roller hawg with Chuck in Ingleton seems to still be the best option. That's the most use I've gotten out of Xbox Music on my XB1.

nOoblet16

Started playing this 2 days ago and I am at the point where you do the overtime mission, I failed it once and I think I'm going to drop it here because I am in no mood of going through half an hour or even more of tedious travelling around a zombified city all the while switching cars every minute or two and occasionally having to take on hordes of zombies and those army dudes who could take multiple hits. The worst part is that when you do get to the point you will hardly be able to destroy 5-6 drones (using flaming gloves to hit the kings so that they explode) before they take off to another area that's miles apart and you have to do the entire thing with travelling again. Shooting drones is kind of crap too since the aiming in this game is abysmal and every time you shoot a drone it surges upwards and can go out of range easily.

I was thoroughly enjoying this game and felt this was the best game that I've played on either of the next gen console but this last mission destroyed it for me since it's one of the worst I've ever played. Same thing happened with KZSF where they absolutely shit on game and level design for the final encounter by dropping you off in an area with little to no cover and having you kill multiple waves of enemies each with 7-8 soldiers and grenades and shit. So many developers these days are guilty of making the very last levels so tedious in an effort to make it challenging.

EDIT: And the God damn roadblocks !! Artificially making the level even longer. And that additional character that does nothing but just wander around aimlessly wasting your time while you wait in the car.

Grisby

^^^^^^^Couple things that might help.
-Just focus on taking out the big headed zombies. Don't worry about the drones. Make large area sweep weapons. You should also to be able to make a couple of Zars to take them and the random drone out
-The army trucks usually contain machine guns and food.
-Don't worry about keeping the NPC in your car. He respawns with you. Just leave him.

The aiming is leagues better than the other Dead Risings. I think the last mission is pretty shit too but my second time I beat it really quickly by just focusing on the special zombies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
really enjoying this far more then i thought i would, particularly now that i'm getting closer to the end and there seems to be loads more zombies and they are more aggressive to. made a few clips of my "investigate the rooftop" side mission run and the sea of zombies distracted by those rooftop survivors. just one of many "oh shit" epic moments the game offers.

sea of zombies
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A4DC5EAA8B808CF7!662

enjoying the view
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A4DC5EAA8B808CF7!661

Grisby

I always carried a flare gun around to make more zombies pile up to get more kills.

Think I'll do another run through when all of the DLC is released.

malfcn

I got the season pass because I had credit expiring and needed to spend it. More and more I am wishing I got the Max game or something else.

Redshirt

Banned
Anyone notice an issue with the posters that you have to burn? Some of them simply won't let me interact with them.

Edit: So molotovs and similar incendiaries seem to work fine, but the posters are (maybe?) a bit wonky when using other weapons, such as the shockblaster.

Edit2: I'm enjoying this DLC more than the last, too, but not really sure why. At any rate, I think it's clear now that the season pass was not worth $30. It should have been $5 per episode and $15 for the pass.

malfcn

Played for about 2-2.5 hours and taking a small break. I am way over powered, so it's not too short. But I am also trying to collect everything.

Redshirt

Banned
The DLC uses Nick's level and skills.

There are some new cutscenes but nothing worth mentioning. I did think the voice acting was much better in Fallen Angel than Broken Eagle.

Grisby

Oh wow, so I;d probably be blowing through it then. Thanks for the info. I'm still gonna pick it up down the line and at least there are some new scenes in it.

zorbsie

I'll also add that the DLC does connect to the main story in some neat ways. I think it's a bit over priced but I'm glad I got the season pass still. Really hoping that the DLC will lead to meeting the dude calling you all the time/the SmartGlass guy. That would be really cool.

just got this yesterday and i'm loving it so far. my only complaint, and it is fairly annoying, is the game is so fucking dark. it's the middle of the day and i go into a shadow or something and i can't see shit. any tips on getting this to look better?

EBE

ive liked both DLC chapters so far. this second one, Fallen Angel, is way better than Broken Eagle. lasted me longer and i liked the character better. i dont mind that you keep Nick's stats or blueprints and i enjoyed having to burn the ZDC posters. forced you to keep a fire based weapon on the ready. didnt ever use those too much in the main game. the napalm bomb is great. looking forward to the third chapter.

EBE

yo, has anyone seen this?

tumblr_n1demsgK7n1sh19qjo3_1280.jpg

from the new Chaos Rising dlc. apparently releasing next week, 2/25. its the one with the biker character. looks sick. dont know if itll be better than rollerhawg though

zorbsie

That is a kick ass bike. Can't wait to play around with it. Nice that the DLC is coming out quickly. But I feel like it's almost stealth releases.

EBE

Chaos Rising dlc available now. doesnt show up in games store under the add ons tab. view the games details and download from there if you want it now. will post impressions tomorrow.

shandy706

Started playing this 2 days ago and I am at the point where you do the overtime mission, I failed it once and I think I'm going to drop it here because I am in no mood of going through half an hour or even more of tedious travelling around a zombified city all the while switching cars every minute or two and occasionally having to take on hordes of zombies and those army dudes who could take multiple hits. The worst part is that when you do get to the point you will hardly be able to destroy 5-6 drones (using flaming gloves to hit the kings so that they explode) before they take off to another area that's miles apart and you have to do the entire thing with travelling again. Shooting drones is kind of crap too since the aiming in this game is abysmal and every time you shoot a drone it surges upwards and can go out of range easily.

I was thoroughly enjoying this game and felt this was the best game that I've played on either of the next gen console but this last mission destroyed it for me since it's one of the worst I've ever played. Same thing happened with KZSF where they absolutely shit on game and level design for the final encounter by dropping you off in an area with little to no cover and having you kill multiple waves of enemies each with 7-8 soldiers and grenades and shit. So many developers these days are guilty of making the very last levels so tedious in an effort to make it challenging.

I beat it in the first try. I had a lot of guns/explosives on me to shoot/blow-up the drones though. I didn't plan it that way, got lucky load out wise.

Redshirt

Banned
I think Chaos Rising is the best of the DR3 DLC so far. The character is fun, the setup is interesting, it leads into Nick's story well and it even has some mini-bosses.

My one gripe is that there is dozen-or-so-item fetch quest that is kind of tedious.

i have been playing for a few hours just fucking up zombies and leveling up.... then i noticed the timer. what the fuck? what happens if i dont "finish" the game when the timer ends? do i have to start over but keep my stats?

EBE

not done with this third chapter, but its pretty solid so far. the character of Hunter has more personality than the previous two and his exclusive weapons are kind of cool (chainsword is great) as is his vehicle. this dlc is VERY fetchy questy though with a lot of collectibles (whiskey, bikes, rings, telephones to destroy, and one other thing i cant remember, i think).

these chapters have been fun, if only to see how they tie into the main story (Angel's was especially cool). its a shame they couldnt be like DR2's cases where you explored a unique environment, but whatever. i enjoy the base game, so any reason to return to los perdidos is welcome in my opinion

EBE

i have been playing for a few hours just fucking up zombies and leveling up.... then i noticed the timer. what the fuck? what happens if i dont "finish" the game when the timer ends? do i have to start over but keep my stats?

the city is destroyed. you keep your stats and any collectibles/blueprints you may have found. you shouldnt run out of time unless youre on nightmare.

malfcn

I am guessing it will fit the formula. New weapon, deliver or drive a new vehicle where.. Collect or destroy a few things. Possibly have a run in with the phone guys brother and kill or
be killed.

wbarreda

It look like they missed the mark on this DLC. I am just going to wait until the season pass in on sale in a few months to pick it up. Probably won't seem as stale since some time will have passed between playing the main game.

Redshirt

Banned
The biohazard achievement is messed up. Read Trueachievements or whatnot before proceeding. I think I experienced the lesser evil of the two glitches, but I'm not going to deal with it right now for 10 gamerscore.

EBE

The biohazard achievement is messed up. Read Trueachievements or whatnot before proceeding. I think I experienced the lesser evil of the two glitches, but I'm not going to deal with it right now for 10 gamerscore.

i can confirm that their method does in fact work. annoying workaround, but a useful one.

Weird, guess I got lucky, because I never had any problems with that achievement. In face, one of the piles actually seemed to burn itself at one point; as soon as I set foot in one district I saw "11 out of 40" pop up without me doing anything.

All in all, these DLCs were okay, but a bit disappointing. Kinda wish they didn't all follow the same rote formula, and while I thought it was cool that every character involved appears in the main storyline at some point, none of them stuck out as particularly compelling. Not to mention that the payoff to the whole story is
obtaining evidence against Hemlock, considering that, if you got the best ending, he's already dead. I had hoped that maybe the last DLC would follow up on the Isabella reveal and have Brad find evidence against her, but nope.

Redshirt

Banned
Went ahead and got that last 10 GS today. Fortunately, I didn't have to do anything special. I just had to go burn the pile behind the house in Ingleton.

Caayn

Restarting playing this game, still need to finish it, and I'm addicted now. Just got a 712 kill streak, with the book thrifty trader (increased PP gain) and a handful of grim reapers which leveled me up from 30 to 35 :D

Restarting playing this game, still need to finish it, and I'm addicted now. Just got a 712 kill streak, with the book thrifty trader (increased PP gain) and a handful of grim reapers which leveled me up from 30 to 35 :D

You might fall in love with the powershout and splitshot soon as well.

If I purchase this game as a download when I get the current, patched version or will it download the original release and then any patches after that?

B4D1E

If I purchase this game as a download when I get the current, patched version or will it download the original release and then any patches after that?

Apparently (from what I heard from other Gaffers), the digital version of games are already patched. So you download the latest "version" of the game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Apparently (from what I heard from other Gaffers), the digital version of games are already patched. So you download the latest "version" of the game.

This is a question I was just about to ask.
Anyone able to confirm or deny this.

Want to download this overnight, and hopefully be able to play all day tomorrow.

Megatron

Just got this game today! Excited to play it, I have really been looking forward to this game. I loved DR2. I will take the advice here and wait on the DLC for at least a sale before considering. Any tips for a new player?

Top Bottom