• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

Specifically, "it" being the fact that PC as a platform is no different on a fundamental level from consoles. You play games on it, and occasionally you have to deal with ("accept") the reality that developers will make executive decisions sometimes to your detriment.

This is no different than 1920x800 or 1080i or 792p.

And just like console gamers, you do have to accept it. Bitch and moan if you want, that's fine, feedback is fine.

The vitriol directed at the developers though? Grow up.

Oh quit the developer pity party.

They don't want to spend the extra time and cash to rework the engine or test it at 60fps. That's all it is.

Durante or someone else will probably fix it in a week, but capcom can't be bothered? Fuck them

MUnited83

For you.
What the fuck is this? Have we really come to this point where a developer don't even know jack shit about the own game, and showing incompetency shamelessly? Are they blatantly asking for guys like Durante to do their work?

Durante's not going to fix this.

Renekton

I read about the timestep problem before, it does seem like a very core fundamental thing which is not easy to solve (correct me if wrong) and may require major rework.

Stuff like this makes me glad I don't code for games industry. Their skill level is easily tiers above some of us enterprise application guys with deep math and physics which I already gave back to my high school, but gamers call them lazy turds.

vg260

You'll be able to play the game at higher than 30fps, but they can't guarantee that everything will work properly.

The physics system was hardcoded for 30fps, probably because the developers had to rush it the fuck out to make Xbone launch and they could give a fuck less about a potential PC port 8 months later when they were crunching and sleeping at the office.

But that's just my guess.

That is a reasonable guess.

Q8D3vil

Respect for them for saying it clearly before the game release.
Wont be buying it of course if its glitchy as hell in 60 fps.

The Cowboy

If Dead Rising 2 ran at 60 fps on PC then why can't this one?

I don't get it
The previous game was designed around multiple platforms and was designed to run on PC from the get go, this game was designed to be system exclusive and wasn't supposed to come to PC at all - it was also likely rushed out to match the release of the Xbox one.

As this game was targeting one system and they aimed for 30fps, there was no point at all in putting in 60fps animations/physics etc.

Krakn3Dfx

30fps compared to the 10-15fps the XB1 version ran at quite a bit seems like a pretty good upgrade.

Curious to see what the side effects of uncapping the framerate will end up being when it drops.

Guri

The previous game was designed around multiple platforms and was designed to run on PC from the get go, this game was designed to be system exclusive and wasn't supposed to come to PC at all - it was also likely rushed out to match the release of the Xbox one.

As this game was targeting one system and they aimed for 30fps, there was no point at all in putting in 60fps animations/physics etc.

I'm not so sure of that. I think they always thought of it like as a timed exclusive.

As a long time fans of the Dead Rising series, who has absolutely no intention of purchasing an Xbox One, I asked the team if there was any chance the game could makes its way to PC at some point down the line.

Unfortunately, none of the Dead Rising team could offer any sort of comment...but it was pretty much impossible not to notice the smiles on their faces when I asked. Now, I don't know about you guys, but that certainly gives me a bit of hope.

Source

Dire

If it means funny shit instead of the game just crashing, I'll definitely play at 60.

Give me weird shit.

Go play Skyrim at 120+ FPS and come back.

It's pretty funny the first time or two that everything goes batshit exorcist because you walked into a room.. but then yeah it's time to enable a frame rate limiter. At least Skyrim runs great at 60FPS though.

So strange that we're somehow regressing to the dark ages of DOS gaming about 25 years years ago. I thought framerate dependent gameplay had died off? And they're doing all this crap right as we're on the doorstep of VR where 120FPS is more or less required for decent experiences.

Ban Puncher

cR7vbHt.jpg

Henrar

What does that even mean, you realize frame rates aren't dependent of animations in them syncing up? If I run at Half-Life 1 at 200fps, the game didn't need animations authored at 200 keyframes a second to have them match up. The game logic is what's in question, it's why Dark Souls had a framerate uncap mod where animations looked fine but the game itself broke.

Half-Life didn't feature motion capture.

But yeah, game logic also is in question. It's not something Durante can fix.

TheD

The Detective
Ok, so what exactly do they need to do to fix this? I have an idea for some things but I want to see what you think.

Well, they should test the game running at 60 FPS and take note of what breaks.
Then take a look at what code controls what is breaking (likely physics and input related) and then reprogram the parts to no longer rely on the game's framerate.

It would be great if Capcom would allot them the budget to do that, which is more likely the limiting factor than "lazy developers".
I was stating that Capcom was being lazy by not putting the expected amount of effort (and thus money) into the port, instead they wanted to leave buyers with something substandard.

Specifically, "it" being the fact that PC as a platform is no different on a fundamental level from consoles. You play games on it, and occasionally you have to deal with ("accept") the reality that developers will make executive decisions sometimes to your detriment.

This is no different than 1920x800 or 1080i or 792p.

And just like console gamers, you do have to accept it. Bitch and moan if you want, that's fine, feedback is fine.

The vitriol directed at the developers though? Grow up.

bollox, all of it

Standards are very different on pc , we do not have to 'deal with it' or accept it, at all.
For every 30 fps locked turd there are 99 games that have the proper options and settings and customisation or that can be amended by the community.

We don't have to deal with anything, we just play one of the many many many other games that do pc games right.

Being able to set the resolution, framerate etc is the most basic of pc game functionality, just as basic as a console game supporting the controller you're supposed to play it with or having stereo sound.

Incompetent ports deserve zero sales on PC

mrlion

Well I'm sure modders will be able to figure something out in order to run it at 60 fps without glitches...which I think its a rather strange statement that a dev can say about a PC port...

Guri

Well I'm sure modders will be able to figure something out in order to run it at 60 fps without glitches...which I think its a rather strange statement that a dev can say about a PC port...

I can be wrong, but I don't think so. This needs to be fixed in the code, inside the engine, something we of course don't have access as customers. Only developers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can be wrong, but I don't think so. This needs to be fixed in the code, inside the engine, something we of course don't have access as customers. Only developers.

Yeah, it's unlikely. Nobody ever got around to fixing BioShock's 30fps physics, for example, and it runs on UE.

Renekton

Well, they should test the game running at 60 FPS and take note of what breaks.
Then take a look at what code controls what is breaking (likely physics and input related) and then reprogram the parts to no longer rely on the game's framerate.
It's not just fixed 60fps, if de-synced the physics will react very differently depending on FPS so 25.5 FPS will have different effects from 72.5 FPS (not unlike old Quake jump physics). If they use delta or interpolation they run into other issues like backlog plus they better be godly at Math. If they tie strictly to FPS, multiplayer will suck.

Guri

How did modders fix Dark Souls for PC then?

I didn't play that, so I can't say for sure, but there wasn't an option to unlock the framerate there. Dead Rising 3 will have it, but it might break the physics. That is directly tied to the engine.

TheD

The Detective
It's not just fixed 60fps, if de-synced the physics will react very differently depending on FPS so 25.5 FPS will have different effects from 72.5 FPS (not unlike old Quake jump physics). If they use delta or interpolation they run into other issues like backlog plus they better be godly at Math. If they tie strictly to FPS, multiplayer will suck.

I was meaning that just to run it at 60 as a test, not that they should reprogram the systems to work at 30 or 60 FPS, maybe I should of said at a number of different framerates but meh.

Other game devs (and by other, I mean nearly all PC game devs) can make their games work at N framerate, I am sure the DR3 porters can do the same.

Here's the other thing - if they're going to continue PC development reworking the engine for 60fps could be considered an investment in the future.

You'll be able to play the game at higher than 30fps, but they can't guarantee that everything will work properly.

The physics system was hardcoded for 30fps, probably because the developers had to rush it the fuck out to make Xbone launch and they could give a fuck less about a potential PC port 8 months later when they were crunching and sleeping at the office.

But that's just my guess.

In that case, I understand. That's too bad. Their lack of time is going to cost them a lot of PC sales. Nobody is going to buy DR3 at full price to essentially Beta test proper framerates.

Vuze

Not sure if it's been posted yet, PCGamers article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/12/dead-rising-3-hands-on-yeah-its-30fps/
The big news is that the framerate is locked at 30fps like on Xbox, though Capcom said during my demo that they support any community attempt to unlock it—there just won't be support for it in this released version.
The good part is, even without the framerate that players deserve, it's easy to make it look better than the Xbox One version with the deluge of advanced options available.
This is the most refined of the Dead Rising games, and with mouse and keyboard that makes the usually-tricky combat a little easier, this has all the hallmarks of a great port. Just not the framerate.
this otherwise feels like a strong port of a game that is worthy of a much bigger audience than that currently found on Xbox One.

Henrar

That's not how that works. Keyframed animation and motion captured animation both get interpolated the same.

Wouldn't that create problems?

I mean, in Dark Souls there was problem with ladders IRC. Was that the problem with game logic, animation or both?

Seanspeed

Banned
So it is actually locked to 30fps then.

Not great. I'll give it time to see what modders can do, but otherwise, this just went from a 'at some point' game to a 'maybe never'.

pa22word

How did modders fix Dark Souls for PC then?

They didn't. Certain aspects of Dark Souls breaks when unlocking the framerate due to how the animations are keyed. It's not something you really can fix without redoing the animations themselves. All the mod itself does is remove the cap placed by the developers to keep it from running over 30 FPS.

Dmented

Banned
Go play Skyrim at 120+ FPS and come back.

It's pretty funny the first time or two that everything goes batshit exorcist because you walked into a room.. but then yeah it's time to enable a frame rate limiter. At least Skyrim runs great at 60FPS though.

So strange that we're somehow regressing to the dark ages of DOS gaming about 25 years years ago. I thought framerate dependent gameplay had died off? And they're doing all this crap right as we're on the doorstep of VR where 120FPS is more or less required for decent experiences.

Oh god Skyrim is hilarious, though I didn't exactly have problems with the game when it ran at high framerates but since my monitor is 144hz it didn't like that very much. So I have to limit it in order to play without things going batshit.

I agree with you though. It's sad to see this becoming a trend. With even Skyrim it's sad. It seems like a good game for VR but having to lock it at 60hz/60fps is just not going to work.

Jaysus fuckin hell; it sounds like a solid port, wide range of visual options, and you people still bitch and moan. We've come a long way from shitty ports like Saints Row 2, this one works out of the box

Nethaniah

Kinda irrelevant when the PC port of SR2 can barely be played at all unless you jury rig your CPU to run at the 360's clockrate.

Which is a very easy thing to do, calling out SR2 on it's supposed shittyness is just kind of weird after hearing these things said about DR3.

To the poster that i originally quoted, there is nothing solid about being forced to play a game at 30fps without the option to change it for the better.

kudoboi

Kinda irrelevant when the PC port of SR2 can barely be played at all unless you jury rig your CPU to run at the 360's clockrate.

I actually had no issues with SR2 on PC when I played it last year. I just had to edit some ini file to get it to run on windows 8 and 1920x1080

Enco

:lol

Reason enough to not even consider buying the game.

:lol at saying mods will fix it. Bullshit. Not gonna support lazy devs.

Edit: SR2 is an atrocity. I consider my self a moron for buying it. No longer will I be fooled by PC ports. Fool me once...

Top Bottom