• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 Review Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There is a pretty huge discrepancy between reviewers. Some making a point that it runs without a hiccup, others complaining of performance issues.

It'll be interesting to get this cleared up. Did an update improve performance as Edge say, or is it just different opinions.
Yeah, if it were updated and improved, that would be excellent.

If you're going to drop all the way to 720p you damn well better deliver a rock solid framerate.

UNCMark

Banned
Did you watch most of that PS4 livestream? That was as close to shilling as I've seen a media outlet get for quite some time. People in this thread seem to be under the assumption that being a shill means you have to give every game a 10. Distorting the view of a system with factually incorrect statements and really strange assumptions can work just as effectively but with a lot more subtlety.

Or maybe they were right and you just hated them for being right.

shandy706

Watching the game on the GameSpot stream.

LOL

This proves that the cut-scenes are definitely all IN GAME. He's wearing Armor and sunglasses throughout..lol.

Astarte

Well shit, good on Microsoft/capcom, then. I thought it was going to be really serious and brown from its initial reveal...now it's just only one of those things.

p3tran

Banned
. He's wearing Armor and sunglasses throughout..lol.

Yeah, you cant mistake this game for any zombie game...
when i noticed his aviators inside that medieval helmet, it made me smile. just a little bit.. :)

and I am sure very glad for this new game mode without the timers and all that shit 8)

Gaz_RB

So according to Polygon. Dead Rising 3 is about as good as The Last of Us?

Surely they don't have their pockets stuffed with Microsoft dollars.

Fuck dude, it's their opinion....written by two different people. They also scored Zoo Tycoon higher than both, does that piss you off?

If you don't like their opinions, I don't understand why you care about them.

Derrick01

Banned
Or maybe they were right and you just hated them for being right.

What does this even mean? Right about what, many of the factually incorrect statements they were spewing during that live stream? For example one of them said MS was the only one making new games. In a PS4 livestream. Are they right about that?

def sim

Watching the game on the GameSpot stream.

LOL

This proves that the cut-scenes are definitely all IN GAME. He's wearing Armor and sunglasses throughout..lol.

The plane crash cut scene is probably pre-rendered since it defaulted to the mechanic suit.

DocSeuss

So according to Polygon. Dead Rising 3 is about as good as The Last of Us?

Surely they don't have their pockets stuffed with Microsoft dollars.

Not having played The Last of Us or Dead Rising 3, I can't speak with authority, but I do feel comfortable enough to say that yes, Dead Rising absolutely beat the crap out of everything else Naughty Dog did this generation, so it wouldn't at all surprise me that The Last of Us, which is supposedly the best game they made this generation, is finally living up to the Dead Rising franchise.

Not having played The Last of Us or Dead Rising 3, I can't speak with authority, but I do feel comfortable enough to say that yes, Dead Rising absolutely beat the crap out of everything else Naughty Dog did this generation, so it wouldn't at all surprise me that The Last of Us, which is supposedly the best game they made this generation, is finally living up to the Dead Rising franchise.

So you hate Uncharted then?

graywolf323

everyone has a right to an opinion but that doesn't mean you aren't completely crazy

Tiktaalik

Expected scores. Dead Rising games have always been overly ambitious and rough around the edges and the scores reflect that. The original DR came in in the launch window and was a buggy mess, but it was super fun and well worth playing.

I'm going to have to wait a while to play this one because I'm not getting an Xbox One at launch, but I'll probably pick the game up whenever I finally get the system.

What did you think?

7-8s, most press will mention the lower res, terrible textures, and crap FPS in passing, (though that seems to be fixed?) and focus on saying the game is fun. Admittedly, the game does look fun, but when it runs the way it does on next gen hardware, I'd think they'd make a bigger fuss about it.

I think at the moment, the XBOX One definitely has the more impressive offering of exclusive titles. But, we really only know of a few games Sony's first party studios are working on. And the PS3's exclusive lineup trumped Microsoft's in both quantity and quality.

I'm willing to bet the PS4 will at least be on par with the variety of exclusive games compared to MS by the end of 2014.

I feel things are like that because MS pretty much showed their entire hand at E3. Sure, they'll announce a game or two, but we pretty much know what they're doing. With Sony, we've no idea what they're main studios are working on. Once Sony starts revealing more and more, then those comments ("Xbox has better games", "PS4 has no games") will finally start dying down, just like when the Ps3 got into hear except this time it'll be much sooner.

What does this even mean? Right about what, many of the factually incorrect statements they were spewing during that live stream? For example one of them said MS was the only one making new games. In a PS4 livestream. Are they right about that?

I think at the moment, the XBOX One definitely has the more impressive offering of exclusive titles. But, we really only know of a few games Sony's first party studios are working on. And the PS3's exclusive lineup trumped Microsoft's in both quantity and quality.

I'm willing to bet the PS4 will at least be on par with the variety of exclusive games compared to MS by the end of 2014.

Myself, I'm sticking with a PS4 for know, but I think I'll get an XBOX eventually. Too many interesting games I'd like to try.

DeerMan

Banned
Glad DR3 is getting ok scores(I hoped for higher). I bought a 360 for dead rising 1 and people never even think that this game has a *gasp* Story. They just want to label it as a mindless button masher. I had the most fun with Dead Rising this generation, cant wait to get it for the bone someday next year.

clockpunk

I agree completely - give me open world sandbox nonsensensical fun over scripted-rinse/repeat gameplay only worthy of a single playthrough anytime - graphics be damned. I found both Uncharted and Last of us to be very boring, mechanically, and traded them all in within a week. Unlike the two DR2 titles, which I still play fairly regularly.

Edit: to be fair, I also traded in Dead Rising 1 fairly quickly after finishing it.

Edit2: To provide another analogy, this is why I have kept Spiderman: Web of Shadows above the likes of Edge of Time - graphically superior, but so mechanically dull.

UNCMark

Banned

Oh no! They made mistakes during a *LIVE* stream. Let's hang them. They corrected their mistakes. Who cares? Show me a site that doesn't make mistakes. Or is it just Polygon and their innate "bias"? smh.

Regardless, this sounds like one of the few launch games on either console that's worth the price of admission. I hope you Xbox guys enjoy it. Looking forward to your videos and screenshots.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Game looks fun and the frame rate has been pretty steady from what I've seen on the live stream on now.

danwarb

Edge on the frame rate:

"...the game maintains a steady 30fps (once you’ve downloaded the day-one patch), even during busy scenes, and once you’re playing there are no loading times to interrupt your journey."

Great scores. It's annoying that I want a PS4, but the game I want the most is DR3. But i'll be getting a xbone next year for sure, so I can wait.

Good news for Blue Castle, I was kinda worried about their fate there for a while after DR2.

meta4

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

No Love

Banned

This has to be a troll. Probably one of the dumbest/funniest things I've read in the last few days here on Gaming side. LOL

Edge on the frame rate:

"...the game maintains a steady 30fps (once you’ve downloaded the day-one patch), even during busy scenes, and once you’re playing there are no loading times to interrupt your journey."

No load times and significantly improved traversal.

fuck ya

Asd202

Ok whatever you say.

Fatmanp

Edge on the frame rate:

All I was waiting to hear.

T.O.P

Banned
Edge on the frame rate:

we really need a confirmation of this, especially from DF after the test video

7-8s, most press will mention the lower res, terrible textures, and crap FPS in passing, and focus on saying the game is fun. Admittedly, the game does look fun, but when it runs the way it does on next gen hardware, I'd think they'd make a bigger fuss about it.

I feel things are like that because MS pretty much showed their entire hand at E3. Sure, they'll announce a game or two, but we pretty much know what they're doing. With Sony, we've no idea what they're main studios are working on. Once Sony starts revealing more and more, then those comments ("Xbox has better games", "PS4 has no games") will finally start dying down, just like when the Ps3 got into hear except this time it'll be much sooner.

They've still got Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Below, and Halo coming down the pipe. But I agree. If MS can keep this up, it's a very good thing for consumers. I hope they do, to at least keep some pressure on Sony to put an emphasis on their first party development, taking chances, etc.

biRdy

If a game gets a bad score = people shit all over it
if a game gets a good score = people shit all over it
if internet = people shit all over it

Liamario

Banned
Solid enough scores, but it's a little concerning that some have chosen to ignore technical failings when tallying up the final score. Dips to 16fps is not acceptable on next gen hardware.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Solid enough scores, but it's a little concerning that some have chosen to ignore technical failings when tallying up the final score. Dips to 16fps is not acceptable on next gen hardware.

locked at 30 after patch

Top Bottom