• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

ds2otbanner20id6.jpg

thebasicsmymc.jpg

Title | Dead Space 2
Platforms | PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Genre | Third Person Horror-Action Shooter
Developer | Visceral Games
Publisher | EA

Release Dates | North America January 25 | Europe January 28

Ratings | PEGI: 18+ | ESRB: M (Mature)

Official Site

ff2vjp.gif
Metacritic | Universal Acclaim

The Dead Space Story Thread (Yes, there are so many unmarked spoilers) can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420787 - Enter at your own risk.

The Dead Space 2: Severed Thread can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422557 - Gabe and Lexine return!

editionsbt34.jpg

Standard Edition:

10147071nqk0.jpg
10161828zomi.jpg
10147070ftu2.jpg

Retail price: $59.99

Note: The first run of all Playstation 3 editions of the game will come with a full copy of Dead Space: Extraction (originally for the Wii) on the disc coupled with Trophies and Move and Dual Shock 3 Support. This will be referred to as the Limited Edition but it costs the same amount as any other regular edition of the game. Once the first run is exhausted, all subsequent runs of the game will contain only a demo of Extraction.

500x_extractiondsl2.jpg

For more information on the PS3 version of Extraction: Playstation Blog

North American CE: The Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition includes the following:

-Dead Space 2 game (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
-Replica of Isaac's Plasma Cutter with working LED lights
-Downloadable Unitology Suit and Force Gun
-Dead Space 2 Original Soundtrack composed by the BAFTA-winning composer Jason Graves
-Concept Art Lithograph

Retail Price: $79.99

northamericaceytvd.jpg

European CE

While the Xbox and PC CEs are apparently the same in Europe, the PS3 CE is composed of the following:

-Soundtrack
-Downloadable Suit
-Lithograph
-Downloadable Rivet Gun

Sorry, no Plasma Cutter replica for the PS3 CE in Europe.

europece0pd5.jpg

Pre-order Bonuses

If you pre-order from any participating retailer (Gamestop, EB Games, Amazon.com, etc.), you should receive a code that will allow you to download Dead Space: Ignition for free. Dead Space: Ignition is a prequel to Dead Space 2 and is composed of three minigames and a comic-style narrative. You can also purchase Ignition for 4.99 on PSN or XBL. Upon completion of Ignition, you will earn the Hacker RIG:

dead_space_ignition_unet6i.jpg

Pre-ordering from Gamestop will let you download the Rivet Gun:

deadspace2_gunlgcslf.jpg

previously2p1r.jpg

While playing through the first game is not necessary to enjoy Dead Space 2, it may be beneficial to view this video (Excavations) as a quick primer on the Dead Space universe and the first game. Three years ago, Isaac Clarke came to the USG Ishimura for a simple repair job and to catch up with his girlfriend. Suffice it to say... bad things happened and he was never the same. Barely surviving and with his mind in tatters, the next chapter of Isaac's life begins...

storyepm9.jpg

Traumatized engineer Isaac Clarke (played by Gunner Wright) returns for another bloodcurdling adventure in the sequel to the critically acclaimed Dead Space. After waking from a coma on a massive space city known as "The Sprawl," the lone survivor of a horrific alien infestation finds himself confronting a catastrophic new nightmare. Battling dementia, hunted by the government, and haunted by visions of his dead girlfriend, Isaac will do whatever it takes to save himself and dominate the gruesome onslaught. With an arsenal of tools to dismember Necromorphs and new determination, an engineer will bring the terror to space in this epic horror tale.

163674_481255456658_18erkx.jpg

features5qs5.jpg

• Chaos Hits "The Sprawl":

Caught in the middle of a horrific infestation that’s decimating a massive space city, Isaac Clarke will dismember, impale, and stomp his way across "The Sprawl" while being pursued by the Government and suffering from increasing dementia.​

"The Sprawl" is a city built on the remains of Saturn's moon, Titan. As it is a fully functioning city, Isaac will visit multiple unique locations, such as the Solar Array, the Church of Unitology, Titan Apartments, etc.​
  • Master the Terror:

Familiar as well as all-new grotesque creatures lurk around every corner​

Wield a set of devastating tools to bring the terror to space. Impale Necromorphs into the walls with the Javelin, use improved telekinesis to turn limbs into deadly weapons, plant powerful dismembering trip mines, or create a hull-breach to suck a group of monsters out into space​

Alternate between terrifying horror and adrenaline-pumping action as Isaac attempts to survive his trek through The Sprawl​

Isaac's mind is fracturing, leaving him questioning what is reality and what is insanity destroying his mind, lending a psychological edge (don't you dare try to sue me, Langdell) to the horror that Isaac suffers.​
  • Tear Through Space In Zero-G:

Fire up Isaac's suit boosters to rocket around in zero gravity like never before. Explore the depths of the Sprawl and encounter new weightless combat and physics-based puzzles with full 360° movement​
  • Online Multiplayer

For the first time, experience the horror of a Necromorph outbreak with others as you battle online in skirmishes around the Sprawl and strategically dismember your friends​

beat3_screen2_previewypwz.jpg

multiplayeryqe4.jpg

Multiplayer is new to the Dead Space franchise. In Dead Space 2, the multiplayer is team and objective-based. It is 4 vs. 4, Necromorphs vs. Humans. There will be five game types in the final game, three of which have been revealed so far: Escape/Survival, Search, and Outbreak.

Here are a couple of videos of Multiplayer matches to see for yourself how it's played:

Solar Array Multiplayer
Multiplayer Trailer
Outbreak Trailer

Note: This section will be updated as soon as more information on maps/game types is released.

73981_449950916658_185qriw.jpg

59177_425946386658_185ko66.jpg

screens8pku.jpg

videos2kqfx.jpg

Dead Space 2 Teaser Trailer - "Dementia"
Dead Space 2 E3 Trailer
Multiplayer Trailer
The Jump
Lullaby
Chaos on the Sprawl
Excavations
Launch Trailer

Developer Diaries

The Lighting and Atmosphere
Smoke and Mirrors
Evolution of Story

For those who purchase the PS3 edition, you'll get a free copy of Dead Space: Extraction. Here is the Wii Launch Trailer in case you wanna know what that's all about:

Launch Trailer
Playstation Blog Preview

reviews2pxi.jpg

Giant Bomb - 5/5
IGN - 9.0
PSM3 - 92%
GamePro (Germany) - 9.0
OXM UK - 9.0
Game Informer - 9.0
Edge - 9.0
PlayStation: The Official Magazine - 9.0
Vandal - 9.2
OXM - 9.5
AusGamers - 9.7
Play UK - 9.2
Now Gamer - 9.2/10
Attack of the Fanboy - 10/10
Joystiq - 4/5
Destructoid - 9.5/10
Ars Technica - Very Positive/Buy
Game Arena - 9.5/10
Gamersmint - 4.5/5
Just Push Start - 5/5
Tech2 - 5/5
Game Trailers - 9.0/10
Gamespot - 8.5/10
1up - A-
Eurogamer - 9/10
Gamepro - 5/5
Games Radar - 9/10
Kotaku - Positive
Gamespot (PS3) - 9/10

Interested in the Dead Space universe? Here is a list of the comics, novels, games, and films that the fiction is so far comprised of:

In order of timeline:

Dead Space: Martyr (Novel) - Goes into the origins of Unitology and the Black Marker.
Dead Space: Extraction (Game) - The fate of the original Aegis VII colony, prequel to the first game. On-rails shooter.
Dead Space (Comics/Animated Comics) - Prequel to the first game, events happen at the same time as Extraction.
Dead Space: Downfall (Animated Film) - Immediate prequel to Dead Space, events that occurred on the Ishimura before Isaac's arrival.
Dead Space (Game)
Dead Space: Salvage (Stand-alone Graphic Novel) - Deals with the immediate aftermath of Isaac's journey and the fate of the Ishimura.
Dead Space Aftermath (Animated Film/Released on January 25) - Deals with the aftermath of the Ishimura's retrieval and what's left of Aegis VII.
Dead Space: Ignition (Mini-games/Animated Comics) - Choose your adventure style game composed of comic panels and different mini-games. Immediate prequel to Dead Space 2.
Dead Space 2

155124_465140436658_181pxi.jpg

Final note: I'll be updating this OT as often as I can. If you come across a new review, post it here or PM me and I'll add it. Also, I'll update Multiplayer, and some other tweaks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The REAL survivor horror starts here!

I won't be able to buy this for a while, but I am definitely renting this next week. :D I played through Dead Space and Dead Space: Extraction again recently. I am ready!

gibration said:
Is there a high-res version of that last image? I would love that as my PS3 bg.

Yeah, it's a wallpaper that you can download from the official site. Here's the link to the image:

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f...e2/120110/media/wallpapers/DS2Marker_1900.jpg

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Badass OP for a badass game.

Thanks :) I was kinda worried that it wouldn't look that good when I put everything together at once, but it seems to be working and not awful ;)

Blutonium

Help me GAF.

Should I play this on a 42" plasma screen with fantastic blacks + Dead Space Extraction or on a 22" LCD monitor with a very good video card, but shitty blacks.

I have Dead Space 1 on Steam but even after minimizing the brightness it still doesn't look dark enough :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn forgot to say VERY nice OP NotTheGuyYouKill :D !

Max

I am not Max
Having a DS1 replay on hard in anticipation

Pre-ordered for PC a couple days ago, so asited.

Edge's review is 9. they don't do decimal point scores. Didn't think that review was especially well written but I am looking forward to it after what I read.

Max

I am not Max
I wonder if i'll be able to get the rivet gun and a PSN code for Extraction with my PC pre-order :/

hermit7

Preordered the CE from Amazon with release day delivery. Bought the first one like 4 times after giving it away.

Looking forward to playing multi-player, was really impressed with the beta. This is my most anticipated game of the year.

Max

I am not Max
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
There's no code for Extraction... do you mean Ignition?
Oh shit completely misread. Yea I'll just buy Extraction on PSN sometime later then

strideramc

Looking forward to this game. I was going to get the 360 version, but with extraction thrown in, I will grab it on the PS3.

PatzCU

I'll be purchasing day 1. Honestly, I could most likely wait until a price drop as I have zero time to play this right now, but I want to show full support for a team that took the chance on the amazing Dead Space 1 and to show full support for the survival horror genre.

Dead Space was sooooo fucking awesome, can't wait for this one!

I'm still conflicted on which platform to buy it for. On one hand I've recently bought a nice new large TV and the demo looked fantastic on it. At the same time I'm a big fan of getting games on steam where available, not to mention my computer has a pretty substantial monitor as far as PC monitors go and it would easily run everything at the highest settings.

On the cost sides of things I could probably get it a little cheaper ordering a retail copy from overseas at around $45, not so if I grabbed it locally. I'd imagine the inevitable Steam price would be $60 like Dragon Age 2.

FireStarta316

Neo Member
Having a tough time deciding if I should get it for 360 or PS3. I like that they included Extraction to the PS3 version but it looks like you can download that separately on PSN. Most all my friends are on 360 so if the multiplayer turns out to be good I will want that version.

Hmm.....

Finished off my fourth and most likely final play-through of DS1 in anticipation. First game I've hit 1000/1000 on, mostly good times (Don't Get Cocky Kid=Blech).

Can't wait for 2!

Arcipello

yep PC version for me too, but ill be using the 360 controller..so i get the best of both worlds:) ive been avoiding all reviews etc so ill have a very fresh experience once i get it:)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ellis Kim said:
I wish there was some direct feed footage of Extraction HD.

I have been asking EA for a code since last week but it's like talking to a wall. :/

baylon452

Neo Member
Yes Dead Space 2!! Loved Dead Space 1. Normally when I finish a game, if I'm going to play it again I at least wait a few weeks maybe months. Dead Space 1 was one of the few games i pretty much started again straight away. Hoping number 2 can live up to my expectations.

As a side, I thought rather than play dead space 1 again in anticipation of 2, I'd play extraction instead since I have had it for a while and haven't really played it. Really surprised by it; while its not dead space, it still feels like a dead space game and I'm really enjoying it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Grrrr, what a time to be saving for a holiday! Then again I am torn between the 360 CE and the PS3 CE.

PS3 version incoming! Was thinking of doing a Plasmacutter run of the first game this week as a reminder of what happened in the end.

Top Bottom