• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Varth

Weird. Getting reviewable and working with PR, be it EA or contracted by EA, has never been easier for us. Seriously over the last year they've been the most helpful and responsive. Are you in Europe?

Yep. When pirates and early buyers get to play a game before press, and of course have no obligation to embargo or anything, you know something's definitely going bonkers. Worst case scenario in this kind of shit was COD BLOPS 2, when press didn't get a code until launch, but everybody was already playing for a month via leak/shops selling it earlier. So on one side you had Treyarch on Twitter saying "please pirates, play our game but tweet good things" and on the other you had Activision PR telling you they couldn't send the code to press. Ridiculous.

War has changed, I guess.

I played the first 2 on PS3 but will be getting the 360 version to play co-op with my brother. Got a turtle beach headset so I can finally play co-op games without turning down the sound on my tv

Looks like we're going to see GAF do another 180 on this game. Well, the ones that actually play it anyway.

This is the first time I've let myself get hyped about a game since playing the RE6 demo. That was like being kicked in the balls. Hopefully Amazon get me my game day one, and hopefully it's as good as the last two.

dhusband

Neo Member

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Dead Space 1 and 2 also launched with DLC similar to what's offered here, IIRC. Kinda funny to see people feigning interest in the game just to let us know they're taking a stand and won't be picking it up, especially after the thread discussing the DLC was posted days ago. siiiiiigh.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So the first game was essentially Alien, the second had a strong Dawn of the Dead feel (less the social commentary) and this one is.....The Thing?

I'm not sure how I feel about DS3. I absolutely loved the first game, the second kind of wore on me, like the over the top violence felt like a mallet to the forehead, it stopped being fun. I'm still not sure if I'll go back to it.

So the first game was essentially Alien, the second had a strong Dawn of the Dead feel (less the social commentary) and this one is.....The Thing?

I'm not sure how I feel about DS3. I absolutely loved the first game, the second kind of wore on me, like the over the top violence felt like a mallet to the forehead, it stopped being fun. I'm still not sure if I'll go back to it.

Yeah, if that's how you feel about Dead Space 2 I'm guessing Dead Space 3 won't really turn things around for you. Perfectly reasonable.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Yeah, if that's how you feel about Dead Space 2 I'm guessing Dead Space 3 won't really turn things around for you. Perfectly reasonable.

The thing is, I really enjoyed it up through the train sequence, which was pretty early but crazy and fun. After that going through the space station, the atmosphere of the game got a bit heavy, sort of like Condemned (though for different reasons). I couldn't play it for long stretches and eventually just stopped playing.

Maybe it gets better once you're done with the main part of the space colony. I dunno.

haikira

Was just wondering if anyone from Visceral or anyone who's got to play it early, could answer something. I know the embargo isn't up, but i'm looking for something of a subjective and perhaps vague answer and isn't anything i'd imagine would be a problem, looking at other questions answered so far.

How's the ammo rarity compared to past games? Do you still need to go a little easy, especially on harder difficulties or is it more plentiful?

It's just out of curiosity. I've already pre-ordered my Origin key on GreenManGaming and can't wait for Friday the 8th, so i'm in either way. Though i'd lying if i said i wouldn't be a little disappointed, if ammo were more plentiful.

haikira

Count me in as another person, who doesn't care.

This is just par for the course, when a game is published by EA. They've done it for a while now, with paid unlock packs in Battlefield 3 and weapon packs for single player games. They're pretty much just cheat codes on a small level, that you pay for.

If people want to ruin their experience, then they can go ahead and buy away, it doesn't bother me. I also often ignore non cosmetic pre-order DLC, whenever possible. I'll just take vanilla for my first run, thank you very much.

Was just wondering if anyone from Visceral or anyone who's got to play it early, could answer something. I know the embargo isn't up, but i'm looking for something of a subjective and perhaps vague answer and isn't anything i'd imagine would be a problem, looking at other questions answered so far.

How's the ammo rarity compared to past games? Do you still need to go a little easy, especially on harder difficulties or is it more plentiful?

It's just out of curiosity. I've already pre-ordered my Origin key on GreenManGaming and can't wait for Friday the 8th, so i'm in either way. Though i'd lying if i said i wouldn't be a little disappointed, if ammo were more plentiful.

On normal it seems a bit abundant at first but later I was running out and scrapping by. So it just depends. One minute I was like "I have a shit ton of ammo and health" next minute "I'm out already! HOLY CRAP!" Also the demo is completely different in the final game other then location. So demo doesn't really spoil things for the most part. :D and this "It's bullshit Isaac shields his face when wearing a helmet" out in the cold comments, well completely invalid. :D

sarcoa

I'm on chapter 8 at the moment and I've never come close to running out of ammo. I play fairly conservatively, though.

Not 100% on this but it seems like Dead Space 3 (and maybe the others, I don't know) does the Half Life 2 thing of making more drops health/ammo when you're running low on either.

I'm on chapter 8 at the moment and I've never come close to running out of ammo. I play fairly conservatively, though.

Not 100% on this but it seems like Dead Space 3 (and maybe the others, I don't know) does the Half Life 2 thing of making drops health/ammo when you're running low on either.

You already have the game? How is it so far?

nel e nel

Ha just ran through Ignition in 33 minutes, Should try to go for that 20min chevo. Even though it wasn't a great game I still wish there was some sort of interactive deal coming out for 3.

Aw snap son! I just finished a fresh playthrough of this last night, and another on the iOS game earlier this week.

Well the extra stuff you got in 2 was pretty cool if you played Ignition. I would have never played the game if it weren't for that stuff though.

Yeah, I was playing it more for a story refresher than anything else. The fun thing is seeing how Franco and Nolan are tied into the storyline in DS2 with Ignition and Aftermath, and how there are all these concurrent storylines going on between Ignition, the iOS game and Severed.

nel e nel

Yeah, I was playing it more for a story refresher than anything else. The fun thing is seeing how Franco and Nolan are tied into the storyline in DS2 with Ignition and Aftermath, and how there are all these concurrent storylines going on between Ignition, the iOS game and Severed.

I meant to ask codecow/Monkey Pants regarding Ignition:

Do the conduit rooms that you unlock from completing Ignition correspond to any of the locations that Franco and Sarah travel through in their game? I mean, it ends with
Franco releasing Isaac from the psych ward
which goes directly into the opening of DS2, so I wondered if there were other location overlaps like that.

Review copy so I don't want to push against the embargo. It feels like Dead Space, if that answers anything.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has been doing more than reading gaming news headlines, but it's good to be getting concrete confirmation from people playing the final game that Visceral were telling the truth all along about the single player.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has been doing more than reading gaming news headlines, but it's good to be getting concrete confirmation from people playing the final game that Visceral were telling the truth all along about the single player.

Yep. People really have nothing to worry about. Also I'm not under embargo. Perks of finding early copies, but, I won't be spoiling anything major :D

Quick off topic question (sorry). How does one actually become a member here at neogaf? When does my junior status change? My curiousness thanks you.

pargonta

^300 posts plus 6 months (or something) elapsed as junior

anyway deadspace, i'm still waiting for reviews on this one... i might just skip it

codecow

Count me in as another person, who doesn't care.

This is just par for the course, when a game is published by EA. They've done it for a while now, with paid unlock packs in Battlefield 3 and weapon packs for single player games. They're pretty much just cheat codes on a small level, that you pay for.

If people want to ruin their experience, then they can go ahead and buy away, it doesn't bother me. I also often ignore non cosmetic pre-order DLC, whenever possible. I'll just take vanilla for my first run, thank you very much.

I have played BF3 a lot and I didn't want to play Co-Op to get the MP weapons, so I just bought the pack. I think the way they did it was really nice because on battlelog you can see whether the person bought the guns or earned them, ex. I have a lot of G3A3 kills but no Co-Op completion.

codecow

Yep. People really have nothing to worry about. Also I'm not under embargo. Perks of finding early copies, but, I won't be spoiling anything major :D

Be careful with your network cable if you're playing on Xbox, I know MSFT has banned some of my friends that I "hooked up" for playing games early in the past.

Czigga

Anyone owned the first two on PC? I got DS1 on PS3, DS2 on 360, now preordered DS3 for PC since i got my sweet HTPC setup so I can go 1080p w/ 5.1. Anyway, how were the previous PC ports? Ok with a gamepad, performance, etc?

Tacitus_

Anyone owned the first two on PC? I got DS1 on PS3, DS2 on 360, now preordered DS3 for PC since i got my sweet HTPC setup so I can go 1080p w/ 5.1. Anyway, how were the previous PC ports? Ok with a gamepad, performance, etc?

Haven't got any gamepad impressions since I played through them with m/kb, but they were pretty good ports (DS1 had weird mouse acceleration, that's about it). Ran nicely without top of the line hardware, though the ports didn't have any PC specific goodies as far as I know. Still, 60 FPS and 1080p + AA work well enough for me.

haikira

I have played BF3 a lot and I didn't want to play Co-Op to get the MP weapons, so I just bought the pack. I think the way they did it was really nice because on battlelog you can see whether the person bought the guns or earned them, ex. I have a lot of G3A3 kills but no Co-Op completion.

Reading over my post again, I probably came off more negative than i intended to be about it. I wanted to point out that it's not a new practice and if it's hasn't been a problem before, it shouldn't this time around and i think people are making too big of a fuss about it. Choice is good and it being there doesn't seem to have a negative impact on people like myself, who just want to play it vanilla. I don't feel like i'm being punished by not splashing out extra.

Reading over my post again, I probably came off more negative than i intended to be about it. I wanted to point out that it's not a new practice and if it's hasn't been a problem before, it shouldn't this time around and i think people are making too big of a fuss about it. Choice is good and it being there doesn't seem to have a negative impact on people like myself, who just want to play it vanilla. I don't feel like i'm being punished by not splashing out extra.

Generally it's just folks going on a slippery slope argument. Not only that, but I get the impression that many of the people who do it just want to get folks to agree and be validated by waving the burning EA flag.

Heck, I could be wrong and they're revolutionaries. But I'm still going to chalk it up to meme-behavior.

Be careful with your network cable if you're playing on Xbox, I know MSFT has banned some of my friends that I "hooked up" for playing games early in the past.

Not had issues in the past for a few games. Thanks for the heads up though. Also nice touch having a blueprint called
Codecow
btw! :D I smiled!

How about not spoiling ANYTHING, and just providing us with general gameplay impressions.

Well it feels very Deep Space. Completely. I won't spoil anything. Yet sometimes it hard to gauge what's spoiler territory around these parts. I can say there is alot of variation in the game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Seriously, just ignore the damn DLC and play the game how you want. People find anything to complain about..geez

Amen.

I have actually been part of the problem when it comes to DLC for Dead Space games. Both had cheap suit upgraded that made the game a bit more manageable on the hardest difficulty.
When it comes to games that can scare me I'm comforted by any and every advantage I can get. If I can buy a better suit for $2 I'm in.
Sorry for helping ruin gaming. :)

Not had issues in the past for a few games. Thanks for the heads up though. Also nice touch having a blueprint called
Codecow
btw! :D I smiled!

I was looking up some information on the crafting on IGN (thought they might list all the resources from the demo to their wiki) and I saw the blueprint there. Made my day right then and there.

Amen.

I have actually been part of the problem when it comes to DLC for Dead Space games. Both had cheap suit upgraded that made the game a bit more manageable on the hardest difficulty.
When it comes to games that can scare me I'm comforted by any and every advantage I can get. If I can buy a better suit for $2 I'm in.
Sorry for helping ruin gaming. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with DLC in this fashion. The guns in the game are balanced for the game and these are to give a leg up if need be, or to splurge on after clearing the game if you're the type who likes those kinds of things. Don't apologize for playing how you want to play with the options given to you.

People just see the word DLC and make a big deal of it because somehow that became the hip thing to do and that some people can't manage their money and impulses and have to blame everyone but themselves for it.

From Ashes, locked content, forceful F2P models...that's when people should make an argument. Making noise all the time no matter what is just making noise, not making an argument.

Just as a fyi for people. I've been playing sans any DLC/microtransaction stuff. No issues playing or having a blast. So for those thinking it's a must to actually play/enjoy the game. NO it's not. At all. :D

As a overall vibe so far with the game. Feels like Dead Space 1 and 2 combined in ways. Still working my way through it.

pantsmith

http://www.geekscoop.net/2013/02/01/dead-space-3-has-11-pieces-of-day-one-dlc/

Dead Space 3 has 11 pieces of Day One DLC.....

Looks like I'm avoiding this shit show. I was actually looking somewhat forward to this. sigh

I'm not calling you out or anything, but its amazing that its this time around that people are freaking out about things that have existed the past two games.

Suits and weapons have always been there to help people who wanted them, the only thing new are the micro-transactions for scrap metal or whatever, which is exactly what Mass Effect 3's multiplayer did. Booster packs.

I don't have any money, but if I did, I'd be buying this game at launch. And I wouldn't spend a dime on any of the DLC.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm not calling you out or anything, but its amazing that its this time around that people are freaking out about things that have existed the past two games.

Eh that's just how it is, when people actively look for things to hate and dislike with a game then they'll find everything. A friend of mine who is a huge Devil May Cry 1/3 fan stopped at nothing when criticizing the new DmC, stooping as low as saying "even the grass looks bad" in a Devil May Cry game.

I don't care one bit for EA's strategies and exploitations, I don't think they're long for this world anyway, but it's a shame that people have to equate their decisions with Visceral's.

AppleMIX

Eh that's just how it is, when people actively look for things to hate and dislike with a game then they'll find everything. A friend of mine who is a huge Devil May Cry 1/3 fan stopped at nothing when criticizing the new DmC, stooping as low as saying "even the grass looks bad" in a Devil May Cry game.

I don't care one bit for EA's strategies and exploitations, I don't think they're long for this world anyway, but it's a shame that people have to equate their decisions with Visceral's.

I think it is kinda of sad that people go into a game wanting to hate it.

Not to get off topic but the internet has just turned into this big self righteous, my opinion is better then yours, I'm right your wrong BS. It's always been there but It's been getting worse. I think the whole ME3 ending debacle and uproar paved the way for people to think they can moan and complain and have things changed and ultimately GET their way.

As for Dead Space 3, yes the day one microtransaction stuff is there, but as stated you could buy weapons in the other games. The microtransaction stuff for the item parts, etc makes sense cause you build weapons and ability upgrades off these parts. So in essence it's the exact same as the weapons being bought in the others, just presented different. It's ridiculous that people are in such an uproar about it. Decide not to buy their product because of it, sure understandable. Make an online immature uproar about it all (not saying this is happening here per say) it all gets a bit ridiculous. Buy it if you want, otherwise you can forget it even exists.

I'm sure people will have issues with DS3, every game seems to have something these days, but this third game stays true to the series, it's isn't anything like RE6 it that regard, and I really hope people see that as they start playing it.

Top Bottom