• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake - First 18 minutes

Raonak

Banned
Interested, the graphics look very good.

I thought the original lost steam after the first couple hours, so interested to see if this does a better job holding up the story throughout the whole game.

Aaron Olive

wCUhjtn.jpg

It just looks like the actor who plays him. Isaac is supposed to be 43 during the first game, so I think it checks out.

I do think Nicole looks older than the actress that plays her for some reason, I don't know if it's the hairstyle or just the overall design, I guess we'll have to wait for the final game.
GfFqrsp.jpg
Yeah, it doesn’t bother me much because the helmet will be on at all times but just good observations from first time around to reboot like WTF changes.

Just like TLOU remake im sitting this one out till a price cut to $40 or lower. Gaming is getting ridiculously expensive for blueprints that are already available.

Hate to say it, but this looks like it's worth more of your time than CP. EVen if IT IS a remake of a game we've played before. Knowing what to expect is a double edged sword in this case.
The thing about this is, there's an entire generation of kids and teens that have never played any of the Dead Space games before. This is their opportunity.

Stuart360

You have to wonder why they felt the need to make these woke changes to the characters. I mean its a horror game where 90% of the time you're on your own, and there are only like 4 or 5 characters in the whole game.
I bet even the most hardened sjw probably wouldnt of batted an eyelid if they had kept the characters the same, i mean its a graphical remake anyway, not a reimaginaring.

It kind of puts me off the game a bit to be honest, but alas its Dead Space, which i love.

GymWolf

You have to wonder why they felt the need to make these woke changes to the characters. I mean its a horror game where 90% of the time you're on your own, and there are only like 4 or 5 characters in the whole game.
I bet even the most hardened sjw probably wouldnt of batted an eyelid if they had kept the characters the same, i mean its a graphical remake anyway, not a reimaginaring.

It kind of puts me off the game a bit to be honest, but alas its Dead Space, which i love.
I have a theory, it is way easier to put this stuff in the game over arguing with mongoloids on twitter\reviewers for lack of diversity and shit.

Sometimes i have pity for videogame developers, it is not always the case and many time you just have woke devs that have to put their agenda inside games, but i bet half the time is just devs doing the easier thing instead of having problems later.

Last edited:

The Skull

The line about her girlfriend is about as inoffensive as it gets and fits the scene as they're talking about significant others, but what does it add to the experience? The story only focuses on Isaac and his relationship, no one else's.

It's just a tick box exercise for when something is reimagined for a "modern audience"

I sincerely doubt anyone in the LBGT+ community is going to be looking for representation in a horror game from an NPC.

Makes me worries about what else they're going to change. Pronouns for necromorphs?

Last edited:

GymWolf

The line about her girlfriend is about as inoffensive as it gets and fits the scene as they're talking about significant others, but what does it add to the experience? The story only focuses on Isaac and his relationship, no one else's.

It's just a tick box exercise for when something is reimagined for a "modern audience"

I sincerely doubt anyone in the LBGT+ community is going to be looking for representation in a horror game from an NPC.

Makes me worries about what else they're going to change. Pronouns for necromorphs?
Necromorphs are now bi-curious.

Last edited:
Changing those posters does matter. The original devs thought about every fucking detail on the Ishimura in order to create their universe. Showing that you care- it sets your game apart from the Ubisoft trash.

To be fair I'm pretty autistic about these things but I loved exploring the ship looking at all the set design. Did you know that is an actual job in Hollywood?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sure thing mate, just look at these amazing textures, they still hold up well :p .... if you are blind.
a1.jpg
I like how old games look and going back to previous generations sometimes. The original doesn't feel like it's unplayable to me. I never said there's zero differences. It's just not enough for me to feel the need to buy it, and not enough for me to feel like it's a project worth of putting a team on it for years when they could have made a new game like Dead space 4 or something. The original is still there. They could have put out a trilogy pack for PS5 and re-released the old ones, then put out Dead space 4.

I like how old games look and going back to previous generations sometimes. The original doesn't feel like it's unplayable to me. I never said there's zero differences. It's just not enough for me to feel the need to buy it, and not enough for me to feel like it's a project worth of putting a team on it for years when they could have made a new game like Dead space 4 or something. The original is still there. They could have put out a trilogy pack for PS5 and re-released the old ones, then put out Dead space 4.
Not enough difference when original game looks so extremely flat and blurry? We arnt talking here about some small improvements like SSAO vs HBAO mate. They have remade all graphics assets and use modern lighting (with dynamic GI) on top of that, you simply cant do better than this and I can tell the difference right away even when I look at these comparisons on my small phone screen. This remake looks like a totally new game, and IMO one of the better looking ones, because I dont remember any other game with such amazing fog that would react to the player and lighting. Remake looks amazing and it's on totally different level compared to the already extremely dated original.

Last edited:

Hugare

People finally waking up to this remake looking like garbage. They still haven't fixed the animations. Look how the crawling necromorph just glides across the ground:

ezgif-1-28157335ddpfff8.gif

ezgif-1-e0a1ddffb86oif3.gif

Also Isaac's animations

See how he looks like a cardboard cutout? There's no kick from the weapon, no shoulders movements, no head movement, nothing.

He is completely still while aiming and shooting.

Shit is trash. Making things shinier and decreasing gamma does not make a remake automatically good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not enough difference when original game looks so extremely flat and blurry? We arnt talking here about some small improvements like SSAO vs HBAO mate. They have remade all graphics assets and use modern lighting (with dynamic GI) on top of that, you simply cant do better than this and I can tell the difference right away even when I look at these comparisons on my small phone screen. This remake looks like a totally new game, and IMO one of the better looking ones, because I dont remember any other game with such amazing fog that would react to the player and lighting. Remake looks amazing and it's on totally different level compared to the already extremely dated original.
I'm happy you're excited for it. I've never tried to tell anyone here what to do or what to think. Just posted my feelings on it. I'll play the new one when it hits EA Play. Maybe I'll be super impressed? At the moment, not really feeling that it's better than a new entry would have been.

Interfectum

People finally waking up to this remake looking like garbage. They still haven't fixed the animations. Look how the crawling necromorph just glides across the ground:

ezgif-1-28157335ddpfff8.gif

ezgif-1-e0a1ddffb86oif3.gif
The old one looks so much better here... that animation on the second gif WTF.

Train wreck incoming. How many of you ordered the collectors edition with the mask? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
qTcrwaF.jpg
TPOKzxu.jpg

Looking at the poster I'm not sure why they changed it.
All they did was changed the woman to Asian and put the white dude at the back.
Obviously they saw a problem with two white people being in front.
But this isn't the only poster.
There are different variations of it and some with only Black, Asian or white on them.
Have they changed them too?
It's a bit silly really, but whatever.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

qTcrwaF.jpg
TPOKzxu.jpg

Looking at the poster I'm not sure why they changed it.
All they did was changed the woman to Asian and put the white dude at the back.
Obviously they sure a problem with two white people being in front.
But this isn't the only poster.
There are different variations of it and some with only Black, Asian or white on them.
Have they changed them too?
It's a bit silly really, but whatever.
"Modern audiences" Like Issacs now granny girlfriend.

Killer8

Also Isaac's animations

See how he looks like a cardboard cutout? There's no kick from the weapon, no shoulders movements, no head movement, nothing.

He is completely still while aiming and shooting.

Shit is trash. Making things shinier and decreasing gamma does not make a remake automatically good.

The animation is truly bad. The classic stomp also lacks a lot of the weight of the original game. Looks like Isaac's trying to climb a big step instead of crushing the life out of something. Not to mention, the fast walk animation looks like he's about to have diarrhea and is desperately searching for the nearest bathroom.

The sound is also a lot worse to my ears. I've mentioned before that the balancing seems to be completely off. That infamous room with the extremely loud noise, based on the San Francisco rapid transit system, has been toned down and lost a lot of impact. They even added in some necro blob to shoot in that room - further missing the point that the room is ironically very safe despite the SFX. In general, the devs also seem to be steering away from crunchy SFX to more squelchy SFX for their gore moments.

The biggest audio offence though is replacing Peter Mensah, the voice of Hammond (and also the "This is madness!" dude from 300). He gave one of the best VO performances i've heard in a game. While it's somewhat understandable that due to Isaac now speaking, they needed to re-record other character's VO to make the conversations flow more naturally, I will sorely miss original Hammond's authoritative, take-no-shit attitude. The new VO sounds completely de-nutted in comparison. For all the talk in the thread about a black person now being on an Ishimura poster, everyone seems to have overlooked that the game has ruined one of the best black characters in gaming.

The last thing that is bothering me a lot is how the human encounters have been changed. This first creepy one, of the blinded woman comforting her dismembered husband and foreshadowing the Unitology plot, is now a generic female soldier death in the remake:

I can't wait to see what else EA Motive have fucked up.

Aaron Olive

IGN has a new video showing more of issacs face, he looks similar to William Shatner in his Star Trek days.
I take back what said earlier about him looking 60.

Xlcn2lR.png
dDko0N6.jpg

Last edited:

This remake is shaping up to being an unmitigated disaster

Thanks for confirming my decision to not buy this remake. This is one of the reasons why I despise the Demon's Souls remake. Ruining games to splice in modern tastes, and you end up with... whatever this is.

I'll just stick to playing the original, at least it's not tainted with this shit.

Hurahn7

Banned
The animation is truly bad. The classic stomp also lacks a lot of the weight of the original game. Looks like Isaac's trying to climb a big step instead of crushing the life out of something. Not to mention, the fast walk animation looks like he's about to have diarrhea and is desperately searching for the nearest bathroom.

The sound is also a lot worse to my ears. I've mentioned before that the balancing seems to be completely off. That infamous room with the extremely loud noise, based on the San Francisco rapid transit system, has been toned down and lost a lot of impact. They even added in some necro blob to shoot in that room - further missing the point that the room is ironically very safe despite the SFX. In general, the devs also seem to be steering away from crunchy SFX to more squelchy SFX for their gore moments.

The biggest audio offence though is replacing Peter Mensah, the voice of Hammond (and also the "This is madness!" dude from 300). He gave one of the best VO performances i've heard in a game. While it's somewhat understandable that due to Isaac now speaking, they needed to re-record other character's VO to make the conversations flow more naturally, I will sorely miss original Hammond's authoritative, take-no-shit attitude. The new VO sounds completely de-nutted in comparison. For all the talk in the thread about a black person now being on an Ishimura poster, everyone seems to have overlooked that the game has ruined one of the best black characters in gaming.

The last thing that is bothering me a lot is how the human encounters have been changed. This first creepy one, of the blinded woman comforting her dismembered husband and foreshadowing the Unitology plot, is now a generic female soldier death in the remake:

I can't wait to see what else EA Motive have fucked up.

Seems fine.🤷‍♂️

FUBARx89

Thanks for confirming my decision to not buy this remake. This is one of the reasons why I despise the Demon's Souls remake. Ruining games to splice in modern tastes, and you end up with... whatever this is.

I'll just stick to playing the original, at least it's not tainted with this shit.

Curious about the DeS line?

ZoukGalaxy

DswT84p.jpg

That's too much for me with the woke shit. Older Isaac was perfect, now he looks like my ass in a bad day.

You can fuck yourself EA and, more importantly, THE WOKE DEVS, FUCK YOU for wasting everything.

I canceled my pre-order for real, I was so excited when I saw first that the remake was faithful to the original, and now we're talking about "rewriting" and woke deep shit. Put it deep 🤜

cat kitty GIF

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

None of this "modern audiences" retcon was in Demon's Souls tho, but I guess it came down to whether one liked the art design changes or not.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

DswT84p.jpg

That's too much for me with the woke shit. Older Isaac was perfect, now he looks like my ass in a bad day.

You can fuck yourself EA and, more importantly, THE WOKE DEVS, FUCK YOU for wasting everything.

I canceled my pre-order for real, I was so excited when I saw first that the remake was faithful to the original, and now we're talking about "rewriting" and woke deep shit. Put it deep 🤜

cat kitty GIF

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Tainted is a bit much. Come on dude.

Top Bottom