• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake |OT| Dead Face lift

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Woah wtf so i am still really early.. when you get back to your ship and .. (spoilers)
My fucking fps TANKED this shit is NOT ok HAHAHAH.. i am talking 3fps

I had all max on 3440x1440 with a 3080.

I retried it disabled RT. And set dlss to performance.. and it went smooth..

Now retrying the scene with all max but no RT : still smooth.

Now retrying it all maxed.. maybe my pc pooped? .. nope RT fucks your system.

One more try all maxed but dlss on performance : hmm smooth again..

Dlss really is crazy good

Last edited:
PSA for PS5: game defaults audio to 2.0, if you have a larger setup, you'll need to manually change to multichannel.

I feel like the game should take that cue from the system, but it does not.

Luipadre

wtf is this ps5 gfx

hF0roAG.jpg

definitely skipping this one until this gets fixed

Woah wtf so i am still really early.. when you get back to your ship and .. (spoilers)

One more try all maxed but dlss on performance

I replayed and beat Dead Space on PC maybe 4 or 5 months ago because I was excited for Callisto Protocol. Picked that up, played for a handful of hours and put it down, it's performance was so inconsistent, it drove me crazy. I'm hopeful that this isn't the case for this remake. I'd be interested in how it goes for you. Keep us updated.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Just finished the first chapter and... it's pretty fucking good, actually. Playing the PS5 version here.

NO SPOILERS BELOW

Still undecided how I feel about the new characters. They're definitely going for something different here but I'm not sure if it's an attempt to update it for modern audiences or if it's just a different take on them. For example, Kendra and Hammond do not bicker from the very first scene anymore, so it's not readily apparent that they don't trust each other. Right now they try to pass Kendra off as super competent and kinda compassionate, while Hammond is just a straight up cool muthafucka who keeps his shit together and knows exactly what to do. In the original they were very quick to bicker with each other, Kendra kept flipping out while Hammond had a rather short temper too but was clearly portrayed as the more competent and assertive of the two. All of that served to establish that neither of them are 100% trustworthy later in the game. In here it seems like maybe they want to bide their time before introducing this plot element? Idk, it's kinda strange and distracting in a way, lol.

Gameplay-wise it's basically the same game, with some minor changes. The only noticeable difference that I picked up on so far are some minor differences to level layout, and that Necros seem more aggressive this time and quicker to close the distance between you and them. Which is great. It sort of takes you by surprise and makes the combat feel just as panicky as it was when you first played the original. The corridors themselves also feel a lot more claustrophobic now, which is also a positive change. It enhances the oppressive mood of the game.

The only thing that feels a bit disappointing is that they didn't really rock the boat enough with remaking the gameplay. There's a lot of untapped potential here in my opinion. They could've introduced some wildcards to the combat loop by having Necros get up after a while, this time a bit stronger. You know, same general idea as Crimson Heads from Resident Evil Remake. There's even a line of dialogue in which Hammond poses a question whether Necros actually die or just decide to stop moving once you fuck them up enough to be useless. That's a really interesting idea and I wish they actually went deeper with it.

Also, the audio. My god the audio is FANTASTIC. I'm so glad they nailed that aspect down since it was one of the highlights of the original game as well.

Honestly, I think I'm just gonna stay up al night to play this. This makes my nipples stiff.

Spukc

I replayed and beat Dead Space on PC maybe 4 or 5 months ago because I was excited for Callisto Protocol. Picked that up, played for a handful of hours and put it down, it's performance was so inconsistent, it drove me crazy. I'm hopeful that this isn't the case for this remake. I'd be interested in how it goes for you. Keep us updated.
I am having stutters at times.. not annoying but i do notice them.
It seems loading related.. i am on an m2 fresh formatted ssd. 3000+ sometimes when new areas load i see microstutters.
But this scene with the ship lot of shit happening just fucking tanked the fps. They should have adjusted the scene.. that shit would never pass any testers.. a 3080 is not a shit card.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm seeing more and more reports on Reddit about a bug on the PS5 version (maybe having to do with the latest patch). Seems to make some textures pixelated and blurry.

Some people have issue, while others don't. I'm going to play it unpatched to start I think.

bender

What time is it?
wtf is this ps5 gfx

hF0roAG.jpg

Looks like a Save Station.

John from DF said on twitter yesterday there seems to be an issue with VRS on PS5. Who knows when they'll fix it.

If it's the Tweet I'm thinking about, I'm not sure there is anything to fix. The way I read it is that all versions use VRS and Playstation has the worst image quality of the lot.

Last edited:

decisions

Can’t tell if I’m supposed to get this on PS5 and play in quality mode with DualSense features or PC on my 3080Ti in 2K…

Can anyone give some PC impressions?

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
So is it me or do the face animations look really mid? Seriously, I feel like I'm playing a next-gen game and all of a sudden I'm 2 generations in the past when I see the characters (non)expressions and awful lipsync.

TrebleShot

I have the bug on PS5 I was wondering why it looked so low res , are we sure it’s a bug though? It could just be low res to hit the res target? Game is pretty heavy on PC

Spukc

Hmm seems like a memory leak game is running shittier and shittier right now. Did a pc reboot just to be sure.

Ofc all the influwankers never mention a thing🥹

Fucking pc games man.. this is why i never pay more then 30 🥹

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Yeah the game looks like shit in the performance mode on PS5, I feel like I'm watching a lower resolution youtube video with the compression being clearly noticeable. Don't want to play in 30 fps, though.

Bartski

Gold Member
Something seriously off with the PS5 version performance mode, no chugging but it seems to rely heavily on dynamic resolution that dips way below 1440p towards what looks like 1080p at times. On a big ass OLED it's very fuzzy and just ruins the impression... I really envy you masterracers running it at full 4k/60 'cause otherwise it's a treat

Edit: ok now I checked the posts in the thread... was there any official word on this?

Last edited:

ManaByte

I ask as dolby atmos and dts X use Windows sonic as far as I'm aware for their versions of object based sound.

You can get Atmos for Headphones on Windows (and the license is cross-platform with Xbox as well). The console supports that as well as normal Atmos through HT speakers.

I will wait until PSN Pass. There are some minor it think unnecessary modern changes. Just wander why they do them? How this improves the experience? Other on that looks like really good remaster.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Something seriously off with the PS5 version performance mode, no chugging but it seems to rely heavily on dynamic resolution that dips way below 1440p towards what looks like 1080p at times. On a big ass OLED it's very fuzzy and just ruins the impression... I really envy you masterracers running it at full 4k/60 'cause otherwise it's a treat

Edit: ok now I checked the posts in the thread... was there any official word on this?
Are you playing it on the most recent version/patch?

I might try it without update to see if it's better.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PSA for PS5: game defaults audio to 2.0, if you have a larger setup, you'll need to manually change to multichannel.

I feel like the game should take that cue from the system, but it does not.
Yeah for some reason all the modes you don't want on in this game are in by default, weird.
wtf is this ps5 gfx

hF0roAG.jpg

mIrr3N3.jpg
CN9cidz.jpg
wyCbj4D.jpg
xEEY4RP.jpg

What version you playing ?!

UnrealEck

One more try all maxed but dlss on performance : hmm smooth again..

Dlss really is crazy good
Same card and resolution as me.
I think I'll just skip this one until it's cheaper. £50 for a graphical remake is a bit steep for my tight arse anyway.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Dont know what the problem is, graphics are great for PS3

The PS5 image didnt load for your comparison tho
I'd say it's on par with Alien Isolation, nowhere near Callisto.
Btw what do you mean the PS5 image didn't load?

Spukc

Same card and resolution as me.
I think I'll just skip this one until it's cheaper. £50 for a graphical remake is a bit steep for my tight arse anyway.
Seems to run better when i put the game in borderless.. can’t wait for DF to deepdive into the pc version. Some weird shit is happening.

Been running it maxed now for 30 min or so no issues ..

Last edited:
Top Bottom