• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake |OT| Dead Face lift

Drizzlehell

Banned
Wtf how did fidelity mode drop from what was supposed to be 4k to 1440p and performance mode "2k" to 1080p? God damn I hate this industry. Also, how were previews all so glowing with none mentioning the low resolution IF it's not a bug?
Idk, it looks fine to me. There was like one moment so far where I noticed that the resolution got a little jaggy but for the majority of my playthrough so far (I'm at chapter 5) you can barely notice any aliasing during gameplay. Maybe if I was sitting closer than 6 feet from my TV then I'd notice that the resolution is a bit more muddy than in most other games but otherwise it looks fine.

Didn't notice any advertisements that said that it was supposed to be 4k/2k so not sure where you got that idea from. Sure it's pretty stupid that a fairly linear third person shooter barely manages to pull 1080p/60 FPS on a next gen console but game looks and plays just fine either way. It's not that dramatic of a problem.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m currently in chapter 3 and I’m really liking it, especially the gore engine, my god. I’m glad I started on hard from get go, it gives decent amount of ammo and health, so I’m guessing in normal it gives you too much.

Also zero gravity here is soooooooo much better than original game.

Last edited:

skneogaf

41gbxZh.jpg

I've done a comparison between TAA and dlss quality at 4k and the clear winner is TAA for image quality.

Hugare

41gbxZh.jpg

I've done a comparison between TAA and dlss quality at 4k and the clear winner is TAA for image quality.
TAA winning against DLSS is something that I havent seen in quite a while

Can you check the DLSS version, if possible? The newest one is 2.5.1, and its the best yet

skneogaf

TAA winning against DLSS is something that I havent seen in quite a while

Can you check the DLSS version, if possible? The newest one is 2.5.1, and its the best yet

I've read it's 2.5.0 but someone on redit tried 2.5.1 and it didn't make any difference.

Last edited:

apowhungo

Do u have physical or digital?

I havnt played yet I'm going on what others have said.

digital
your post very much makes it seem like you've played it

Way better than Callisto and it is not even funny, plays much better too.

there's design elements in callisto I probably slightly prefer (suit with glass mask/seeing character's face) but ya this plays SO MUCH BETTER than it. no relying on melee to save you when enemies surround you crutch

It's not that easy later on. Enemies take more damage than in the original before their limbs are cut off (it's very noticeable when using the plasma cutter) and there are more encounters in general.

thanks for the heads up, i'm turning my first playthrough into plasma cutter only (famous last words) on chapter 3 and still find it too treat heavy

Idk, it looks fine to me. There was like one moment so far where I noticed that the resolution got a little jaggy but for the majority of my playthrough so far (I'm at chapter 5) you can barely notice any aliasing during gameplay. Maybe if I was sitting closer than 6 feet from my TV then I'd notice that the resolution is a bit more muddy than in most other games but otherwise it looks fine.

Didn't notice any advertisements that said that it was supposed to be 4k/2k so not sure where you got that idea from. Sure it's pretty stupid that a fairly linear third person shooter barely manages to pull 1080p/60 FPS on a next gen console but game looks and plays just fine either way. It's not that dramatic of a problem.
Devs said it on their official Twitter page if I see the link again I'll repost it

Drizzlehell

Banned
are they actually or is unitologist just close in name

also this game is easily 9/10 for me
fuck yeah stormtrooper GIF
It's basically Scientology. There's like barely any effort to differentiate them, except maybe that Unitologists had an actual martyr who sparked their religion instead of hackneyed science fiction writer.

There's also even less reason to change this today than it was 15 years ago because church of scientology's influence has waned over the years. They can't do shit about it.

Last edited:

Edder1

I kinda wish that in ? six months time they would patch in some more animations cause some of it feels weak at times. Looks gorgeous, they are trying to tie a lot of lore together from the comics, the movies and the sidegames, which is impressive.
Animations (facial and bodily) are the weakest point of the game. This is seriously inexcusable since games running on the same engine like Battlefront have real top animations. Extremely unlikely they will patch them in since those animations have been there since the game was first revealed. Motive just doesn't have competent enough people when it comes to animations it seems.

Last edited:
Finished chapter 1 and onto chapter 2 on PS5 Quality. Game looks fine to me on a CX. It’s not groundbreaking but it isn’t bad.

Dual sense features are great too.

Do u have physical or digital?

I havnt played yet I'm going on what others have said. I have the game pre ordered and downloaded on ps5 but gonna refund if all these resolution issues are true
i have digital version on ps5 and am not having resolution issues, game looks great

fairly noticeable drop between performance/quality but i'm playing on performance

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I feel like the plasma cutter doesn’t feel sturdy. Like when you shoot it it just seems weak ..needs more mmmph behind it

I feel like the plasma cutter doesn’t feel sturdy. Like when you shoot it it just seems weak ..needs more mmmph behind it
it's supposed to. he's a space miner and it's a tool not a weapon

you can make it really powerful as you go if thats where you choose to use your nodes

Kacho

Lighting is really great. Wish we got a new game instead of a remake but I guess they gotta prove the viability of the IP again. Hope it sells well enough. That $70 price point was hard to pull the trigger on. Finally popped my cherry there.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What platform are people playing on, and how is the performance? Looking at either PS5 or Series X.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
In chapter 3. I forgot so much of the original so it feels like a new experience. One thing I’ve noticed early is the more randomness of encounters. I don’t remember it being that way in the original unless I forgot. Like I went into a room to collect stuff, left, went back in after I forgot to check a corner and there were enemies in there when I went back in and I didn’t do anything story wise to trigger it.

This game is great. They can already start working on DS2 remake and then a proper Dead Space 3.
Even if you, like me, has played the original countless times I think the remake is worth it. It feels familiar and fresh at the same time.

Just a little complaint though. It seems the graphical options reset every time I launch the game.

Last edited:
What platform are people playing on, and how is the performance? Looking at either PS5 or Series X.
I'm on Pc , it run pretty good on ultra settings at 1440p on 5600x and 3060 , like everyone else, there is a stutter once in a while ! But looks good , i was going to get it for ps5 but getting DS2 for free and the game swapping on ps5 pushed me towards the pc version.

.Pennywise

Banned
In chapter 3. I forgot so much of the original so it feels like a new experience. One thing I’ve noticed early is the more randomness of encounters. I don’t remember it being that way in the original unless I forgot. Like I went into a room to collect stuff, left, went back in after I forgot to check a corner and there were enemies in there when I went back in and I didn’t do anything story wise to trigger it.
That's the intensity director

TwinB242

Game is rock solid so far but im not too thrilled with the performance on PC. Most of the time its 60FPS but there are some very noticeable dips especially in larger areas. Im considering just turning off RT as im not sure its having that much of an effect on the visuals.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Loving it so far. Visually, it doesn't touch The Calisto Protocol, but gameplay wise, boy does it run circles around it. Such a great game - everything feels just right in a way that makes simply playing it an enjoyable experience in and of itself. GOTY contender for me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Me after playing launch build:

Fuck, looks like it's time for a platform upgrade after 4 years:messenger_weary:

Me after looking up Z690/790 and 13700K prices:

Damn, where do I need to go to sell my kidney?:messenger_anxious:

Dead Space Remake:

Oh, you poor motherfucker, it won't help you to run me better, but by all means...
So, it's basically impossible to play the game on 8GB GPUs in 4K even with DLSS Quality and resolution scale on top of that - stable perofmance is simply out of question cuz of limited VRAM. 1440p with DLSS Quality on the other hand is a lot more playable, but even more playable with resolution scaling towards performance on top of DLSS - getting 100+ FPS, but obviously IQ is suffering. Considering all that, the game still suffering from loading stutters and no matter what, even on a 4090 and VRAM overkill. At least the game using hardware properly unlike TCP which looks better in some aspects (character models especially). If only they've added Direct Storage support, it could've fixed loading stutters.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

That's the intensity director
I'm generally fine with how this feature works, but I had several situations when a new monster showed up when I was about to save or use the shop. I know that safe rooms aren't very realistic in survival horror games, but still being attacked or injured immediately after loading a save is not fun. ;)

Last edited:

old-parts

Having played the original not too long ago this feels like an unnecessary paint job.

There is a huge difference between the OG Resident Evil games and the modern remakes but Dead Space OG doesn't feel old and still looks decent despite its age.

The price tag EA are asking for this game is not worth it to me, of course others who have not played the original in a long time or at all will feel differently.

xrnzaaas

Having played the original not too long ago this feels like an unnecessary paint job.

There is a huge difference between the OG Resident Evil games and the modern remakes but Dead Space OG doesn't feel old and still looks decent despite its age.

The price tag EA are asking for this game is not worth it to me, of course others who have not played the original in a long time or at all will feel differently.
I've replayed the original over a year ago and so far my opinion is the same - the game didn't really need a remake. Sure some of its mechanics are becoming outdated (like moving in zero gravity which was fixed in DS2), but it still played fine. At least from what I've played the remake changes everything for the better (minus the character models ;)). I like the addition of clearance levels and side missions (even though I wish that they offered more unique gameplay or something like an extra boss fight) and being able to backtrack is cool and doesn't feel like the length of the game is increased artificially.

Freeman76

I feel the same. I 1000/1000 this on 360 as I loved it so much, but to charge 70 for it is too much for me personally. Its one of those games that will be 30 in a sale within a few months anyway. I can wait

Thebonehead

Banned
Generally good performance on my rig but having seen the odd frame time spike I decided to have a little investigation and added the SSD stats to RTSS.

It's seems related to asset streaming and I found some areas where you could trigger it at will simply walking backwards and forwards.

jW4Q7Hk.png

I uploaded a video to demonstrate it action - Watch the frame times spike in conjunction with the load from the SSD

Intel 12900k
32GB DDR 3200 Ram
Nvidia 4090 FE
Corsair P5 Plus m.2 ( 6600 MB/s read speed )
Alienware aw3821dw 21:9 Monitor 144Hz refresh rate
Resolution 3840 x 1600 ( Roughly 30% difference from Native 4k )

Nickolaidas

The game has some issues, performance wise. At irregular intervals, framerate begins to drop and cannot go back to 60 fps. I either have to die or reload a save to immediately make everything go butter smooth in framerate. When I went back to the Helion in Chapter 1, at some point framerate went to single digits and couldn't recover until I reloaded a save. Then replayed the scene and played just fine.

I have a 2080Ti. Playing on Steam.

Hugare

The game has some issues, performance wise. At irregular intervals, framerate begins to drop and cannot go back to 60 fps. I either have to die or reload a save to immediately make everything go butter smooth in framerate. When I went back to the Helion in Chapter 1, at some point framerate went to single digits and couldn't recover until I reloaded a save. Then replayed the scene and played just fine.

I have a 2080Ti. Playing on Steam.
Memory leak, or maybe its Denuvo doing Denuvo things (probably)

Loving it so far. Visually, it doesn't touch The Calisto Protocol, but gameplay wise, boy does it run circles around it. Such a great game - everything feels just right in a way that makes simply playing it an enjoyable experience in and of itself. GOTY contender for me.
I've recently replayed DS 1 and 2, and I cant agree with the bold.

I know Callisto's gameplay isnt deep, but DS gameplay is "2 shots on the leg, 1 on the head" for the whole game. With the exception of the babies, thats how combat goes for 90% of the game.

DS 2 is better ,since you can now use kinesys in combat, but DS 1 is mundane and very comparable to Callisto in how simple it is.

What DS excels at tho is level design. It obliterates Callisto. Even more now with the remake having a fully explorable Ishimura.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Theres loads of Whites, it mostly the Asians that got screwed.
I think the point is.
ryan reynolds hd GIF

The game was already diverse originally so it was a odd thing to change.

Because of your usual woke bigotry and hypocrisy, thats why.

Nickolaidas

I know Callisto's gameplay isnt deep, but DS gameplay is "2 shots on the leg, 1 on the head" for the whole game. With the exception of the babies, thats how combat goes for 90% of the game.

DS 2 is better ,since you can now use kinesys in combat, but DS 1 is mundane and very comparable to Callisto in how simple it is.

What DS excels at tho is level design. It obliterates Callisto. Even more now with the remake having a fully explorable Ishimura.
Thankfully you can use kinesis in the Remake for combat as well.

ZehDon

... I've recently replayed DS 1 and 2, and I cant agree with the bold...
For me, the tweaks to DS Remake make combat more than the "two to the leg, two to the shoulder" of the original. I've found myself relying on kinesis where it presents itself and focusing on specific weapons for scenarios/enemies more than the original to a large degree. I was surprised to see that I'm not just running with the Plasma Cutter for everything. With TCP, I found the entire game was "use free dodges, shot tentacles after stun" and it punished you for its own bad design with tougher enemies if you failed that exact set of actions. I still enjoyed TCP, though.

Top Bottom