• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake |OT| Dead Face lift

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Someone tell me I’m trippin - is there no HDR in this game?

My tv setting always goes to peak brightness automatically when I’m playing a game with HDR, but that isn’t happening here.

No way they released this without HDR right?

Edit: I’m trippin.

Last edited:

Hugare

For me, the tweaks to DS Remake make combat more than the "two to the leg, two to the shoulder" of the original. I've found myself relying on kinesis where it presents itself and focusing on specific weapons for scenarios/enemies more than the original to a large degree. I was surprised to see that I'm not just running with the Plasma Cutter for everything. With TCP, I found the entire game was "use free dodges, shot tentacles after stun" and it punished you for its own bad design with tougher enemies if you failed that exact set of actions. I still enjoyed TCP, though.
Yeah, I think thats my main problem with the original: you could use every weapon to all types of enemies, making them kinda useless, since you could focus on one and just use that.

That's something present in all survivor horrors, of course. But only being able to kill a certain type of enemy with an specific weapon would be dope and increase tension.

Would be an absolute nightmare to balance ammo tho lol. Maybe using the same ammo type for all weapons?

Last time I played DS I only used the Plasma Cutter, both for DS 1 and 2 (I cheated in 2 sometimes using pulse rifle with the kids)

In other horror games you usually save the most powerful weapons for the big guys because you have limited ammo. But in DS you have so much ammo for all weapons that it becomes overwhelming.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Anybody else playing on PC notice that the first time you boot the game up, it takes a minute or two to compile shaders? Looks like someone learned a lesson from The Callisto Protocol's launch!

Aside from facial animations, it looks great. Playing at Ultra 4K, getting consistent 60fps with a 3080.

Playing on Hard, and it's just about the right level of difficulty. Only upgrading the Plasma Cutter and making sure I don't have any other weapons in my inventory (to avoid spawning other ammo types in-world), and I nearly always have JUUUUUUST enough ammo to make it through encounters. Better yet, occasionally I run out and have to improvise, which adds some much-needed tension.

Haven't had to buy a single non-upgrade item at the stores yet. Selling all the extra stuff I pick up for more Nodes. As it should be!

I feel like the plasma cutter doesn’t feel sturdy. Like when you shoot it it just seems weak ..needs more mmmph behind it
I thought the same at first. The bench upgrades make a huge difference--after adding a couple points into Damage, it cut the required shots to take out a typical enemy in half.

Valt7786

So far, for me, Motive have absolutely nailed it. Its a remake on par with the RE 1 remake. Kept the original vision intact, while improving and adding to areas that needed it.

If this doesnt make enough sales to reignite the franchise it'll be a fucking travesty. If you're on the fence, jump and buy it, wont regret it.

Something is very wrong with this game graphically, at least on the PS5. It looks like a pixelated mess, worse than I've ever seen. It look like I'm playing skyward sword on the Wii with composite cables. Doesn't matter what graphics mode I use. I also tried restarting the game.

This is the last time I buy a 3rd party game on launch day. I have no idea how this didn't get caught by all reviewers.

Last edited:
Loving it on PS5, there is that sense of "ahhh, this is just like I remembered it". I will say that this won't be mistaken for a "next-gen" game, it's a PS4 game through and through and that's fine by me though I understand if there are those who expected something more visually impressive, especially at a $70 price point. The lighting is really the star of the show, at times it's the best I've ever seen so maybe that's where we're seeing the graphical push.

Dead Space more than anything else was always about the atmosphere, immersion and ever-present tension. The remake retains and indeed improves upon all that. Spent the last 3 hours completely glued to the screen, utterly engrossed even though Isaac and I are good old friends. Motive absolutely nailed it and I hope this signals a resurgence for the franchise. Will add I'm playing on Performance mode, it's been rock solid, zero technical issues.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Something is very wrong with this game graphically, at least on the PS5. It looks like a pixelated mess, worse than I've ever seen. It look like I'm playing skyward sword on the Wii with composite cables. Doesn't matter what graphics mode I use. I also tried restarting the game.

This is the last time I buy a 3rd party game on launch day. I have no idea how this didn't get caught by all reviewers.

It's got to be a patching issue/released version issue. I really don't think they intended for a version that looks like THAT to go out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

he pointed out something bad no need to be a fucking dick about it imo.

i'm through chapter 2 and haven't seen anything even close to that egregious yet, though there have been a few spots where the game looks pretty low res

most of the time it looks fine though

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Because of your usual woke bigotry and hypocrisy, thats why.
looking zach braff GIF by HULU

dorkimoe

Gold Member
it's supposed to. he's a space miner and it's a tool not a weapon

you can make it really powerful as you go if thats where you choose to use your nodes
Anybody else playing on PC notice that the first time you boot the game up, it takes a minute or two to compile shaders? Looks like someone learned a lesson from The Callisto Protocol's launch!

Aside from facial animations, it looks great. Playing at Ultra 4K, getting consistent 60fps with a 3080.

Playing on Hard, and it's just about the right level of difficulty. Only upgrading the Plasma Cutter and making sure I don't have any other weapons in my inventory (to avoid spawning other ammo types in-world), and I nearly always have JUUUUUUST enough ammo to make it through encounters. Better yet, occasionally I run out and have to improvise, which adds some much-needed tension.

Haven't had to buy a single non-upgrade item at the stores yet. Selling all the extra stuff I pick up for more Nodes. As it should be!

I thought the same at first. The bench upgrades make a huge difference--after adding a couple points into Damage, it cut the required shots to take out a typical enemy in half.
I upgraded it only once so far. Just feel like it “feels” weak not even damage wise but it needs a kick to it

R6Rider

Gold Member

Latest update on the PS5 issue​

The team is working on a patch that will improve the issue on PS5.

This patch will also provide an option to disable VRS on PC.

No ETA quite yet, but I’ll keep you all updated. Thank you for your patience as well as your help with identifying this issue!

-From Reddit EA Community Manager. Posted about an hour ago.

Last edited:

CyberChulo

No ETA quite yet, but I’ll keep you all updated. Thank you for your patience as well as your help with identifying this issue!

Thank goodness. My problem is whether to continue playing or wait for a patch. The game is really good!

Skifi28

Gold Member
Doesn't it stand to reason that as long as VRS is in play, both consoles will suffer an image quality hit due to the poor implementation?
They will suffer an image quality hit, but it's not like vrs is meant to destroy image quality like it does now. There's lots of room for improvement, a good implementation of the technique makes it barely noticeable.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Thank goodness. My problem is whether to continue playing or wait for a patch. The game is really good!
You can continue playing and then play the game again after the patch is out.

That's my strat, at least.

This game is so fucking dope. If this came out in 2022 it would've been my GOTY. But now we still have an entire year and a bunch of new games ahead of us so who knows if anything will be able to top this...

Yeah, I think thats my main problem with the original: you could use every weapon to all types of enemies, making them kinda useless, since you could focus on one and just use that.

That's something present in all survivor horrors, of course. But only being able to kill a certain type of enemy with an specific weapon would be dope and increase tension.

Would be an absolute nightmare to balance ammo tho lol. Maybe using the same ammo type for all weapons?

Last time I played DS I only used the Plasma Cutter, both for DS 1 and 2 (I cheated in 2 sometimes using pulse rifle with the kids)

In other horror games you usually save the most powerful weapons for the big guys because you have limited ammo. But in DS you have so much ammo for all weapons that it becomes overwhelming.
One of my favorite things about DS2 was that all the weapons felt like they were good enough to use exclusively for the whole game. My javelin launcher playthrough was probably my favorite. Making different enemies require specific weapons in Dead Space would be a little awkward because iirc you can't carry all the weapons with you, only 4. Usually less for ammo reasons (at least on higher difficulties). You don't get enough materials to upgrade them all either.

Youre describing the absolute worst part of Doom Eternal.

Nickolaidas

I would prefer a respond to the PC issue where the game starts stuttering after a while. Hopefully a fix will come for that as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just tried it on a less than optimal PC and on HDD that it warns against using just to see how it is and it did better than I thought. All medium settings and down to balanced FSR2 which looks alright still on 1440p, I eventually locked it to 30fps with RTSS and that way it seemed perfectly stable (lots of headroom, plenty areas where it went to 50 or more fps but plenty where it hovered at 30-40 and I guess going by what folks say other scenes are much more demanding so we'll see if it can actually drop below 30, that wouldn't be great).

The most demanding part so far is the main menu for some reason, lol, almost single digit fps every time I go in the settings.

The slow HDD loading seems to cause some pop in, I noticed one of the dead bodies pop in after I turned a corner and when I first open the door to a room with glass windows viewing across the rail tracks, that's just black void at the windows and then the view comes on as if someone turns on the lights outside (but it was a nice way to make pop in less obvious, hopefully later areas keep doing such things). I *think* there's no actual loading stutter cos they've decoupled that aspect from how the game runs. Correct me if I'm wrong but just wandering about with the 30fps lock I didn't notice any jumps and stutters or hitches (but that's after all the events there had all played out on my first run so I guess I need to test that). So I guess I might as well play this since the original is technically locked to 30fps anyway. As long as performance doesn't go to shit later.

It somehow seems quite janky like the original too, without the excuse of being the first/old. The melee bashing and stomping and how the various objects interact with that and just fly off or whatever, all the physics basically. Also why on earth did they keep the stomping system as it was? It's fine for enemies I guess (it could be on the same button as the melee attack but be context sensitive if the enemy is low), but why have Isaac still be a psycho stomping and tearing apart every dead body because it's a potential loot pinatal? Just let folks get the items with just interacting with the body.

Same for the boxes, just E to fake open them (even without an animation for each and every one you come across since that could get old) rather than bashing them would be fine.

The settings also seem pretty lean, nothing related to textures, shadow cache, whatever stuff a comparable game like RE2 and its RE engine offer to optimize to your particular set up and its available RAM/VRAM and asset streaming potential.

It sure doesn't look better than RE2 which gets to a viable 60fps norm on the same system (but with some loading stutters as you go about which can't really be eliminated on it) with some tweaks but generally much higher settings.

At least it boots quite fast right in the last save after booting it again, that was neat though it also had a lot of texture pop in similar to UE games, that is understandable in that case given this PC.

/2c

Edit: ok definitely get some stutters when stuff goes down but nothing too bad, same as most demanding games on an aging PC that doesn't quite cut it for them. Also FSR quality resets to Quality every time, gotta get it to lower after boot (changing it in the settings file doesn't stick either).

Last edited:

Cool. I'm waiting.

The game looks absolutely disgusting right now, and it defeats the purpose of a remake. It's the one job they had lol.

Last edited:
They will suffer an image quality hit, but it's not like vrs is meant to destroy image quality like it does now. There's lots of room for improvement, a good implementation of the technique makes it barely noticeable.
How much difference do you think the Series X hardware VRS will make compared to ps5s software vrs?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

dorkimoe

Gold Member
By default the audio was set to 2 channel. Who’s dumb idea was that! I have 5.1.2 atmos setup and thank god I noticed before I got too far

Freeza93

Banned
By default the audio was set to 2 channel. Who’s dumb idea was that! I have 5.1.2 atmos setup and thank god I noticed before I got too far
That makes absolutely no sense what you are talking sbout. If you have 5 Speakers you would know if only stereo comes out of it. lol

dorkimoe

Gold Member
That makes absolutely no sense what you are talking sbout. If you have 5 Speakers you would know if only stereo comes out of it. lol
There’s a difference between all 5 playing audio and the audio it’s supposed to play. Go into settings. It defaults to stero in the game settings.

Top Bottom