• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake vs. Original comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
nsx1cUJ.jpg

TuIiCve.gif

skit_data

Still with the remake/remaster-thing.
I like to think of it as a music production analogy:

-Remaster - touch up the mastering buses and enhancing already recorded tracks with effects, eqing etc. Sort of like a remastered album <—NOTICE.
-Remake - Re-record all tracks, same beats, same chords, but re-recorded and with an all new sound processing chain and everything. Sorta like a cover album.
-Reimagining. Close to a remix. You have the skeleton or core of a track structure and melodies but decide to add new instruments, maybe entirely new melodies beats etc. May drastically differ in anything but some core essentials in terms of sound, mood etc.

This is a remake. Demon’s Souls is a remake. The Last of Us is a remake.

tommib

Gold Member
Still with the remake/remaster-thing.
I like to think of it as a music production analogy:

-Remaster - touch up the mastering buses and enhancing already recorded tracks with effects, eqing etc. Sort of like a remastered album <—NOTICE.
-Remake - Re-record all tracks, same beats, same chords, but re-recorded and with an all new sound processing chain and everything. Sorta like a cover album.
-Reimagining. Close to a remix. You have the skeleton or core of a track structure and melodies but decide to add new instruments, maybe entirely new melodies beats etc. May drastically differ in anything but some core essentials in terms of sound, mood etc.

This is a remake. Demon’s Souls is a remake. The Last of Us is a remake.
Yes the music comparison is good. A remastered album is going back to the studio and clean the sound, levelling the master tracks, enhance stereo separation… but it’s not to re-record the drums, or add a guitar layer to a solo, or swap vocals.

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
3 tiers

1 - Back compact modes with res frame rate bumps.
2 - Remasters with better resolution and asetts but usully Closer still to the original than a remaster.
3 - Remakes that fully utilise modern hardware And are many tiers above the original ie ff7 remake, re2 etc

dead Space though falls between 2 and 3 for me, it’s close to the original but looks leaps beyond it.

you got to applaud these guys as it looks fanatic. Can’t wait to play it.

tommib

Gold Member
3 tiers

1 - Back compact modes with res frame rate bumps.
2 - Remasters with better resolution and asetts but usully Closer still to the original than a remaster.
3 - Remakes that fully utilise modern hardware And are many tiers above the original ie ff7 remake, re2 etc

dead Space though falls between 2 and 3 for me, it’s close to the original but looks leaps beyond it.

you got to applaud these guys as it looks fanatic. Can’t wait to play it.
Ff7 and re2 are many tiers above also because those games were very ancient with totally different controls. Their remake was always going to be radical.

tommib

Gold Member
Can we tell Motive to shut the fucking lights off?
It's a horror game, not a Liberace live show.
God, I hate this unrelenting quest for realism.
Maybe the rooms have switches? Tweet them and maybe they’ll add a light switch patch to their schedule.

skit_data

Yes the music comparison is good. A remastered album is going back to the studio and clean the sound, levelling the master tracks, enhance stereo separation… but it’s not to re-record the drums, or add a guitar layer to a solo, or swap vocals.
Coming to think about it this could even be considered as somewhat of a reimagination of Dead Space since they’ve added Isaacs voice and removed/added some parts of gameplay. Anyway, it should in no way be considered a simple remaster of the original.

tommib

Gold Member
Coming to think about it this could even be considered as somewhat of a reimagination of Dead Space since they’ve added Isaacs voice and removed/added some parts of gameplay. Anyway, it should in no way be considered a simple remaster of the original.
I think they mixed up the levels as well (there will be surprises), not to mention the one-shot camera thing with no loadings, quests and ability to go anywhere on the ship (you’re not tied to levels anymore). Calling this a remaster is idiotic. But it’s also trolling. People can’t help it.

Chronicle

I never played the first dead space. Might try this one. Obviously the comparison looks like a big gap, however, I'm still wanting more this gen in terms of graphics.

GloveSlap

Looking good. I just hope there is some new or remixed content here since i've played through the first game multiple times.

HL3.exe

Walking away with "damn, that original 2008 release still looks good!".

Remakes are great and all, but a high fidelity pass bolstered on what's basically the gameplay mechanics and simulation completely of the original? Hmm, would've loved it more if they when the 'reimagined' route, like RE2 remake. Actually designing new systems and gameplay concepts from scratch around a new leap in hardware. Instead of the 'TLOU Part 1' route.

Looks pretty, but I'm holding out for getting it on EA Play a few months after launch. If it's purely a graphical upgrade I have no reason to spend the money, if they changed anything I'm not even going to bother.

K' Dash

I appreciate it as a port to modern consoles, but graphical upgrade, while substantial, is nothing to write home about.
And yeah they could easily release this on PS4/XOne

tell me you don't know shit about software development without telling me you don't know shit about software development.

WelcomeUncomfortableAnole-size_restricted.gif

am I missing something here?
I'm talking about the industry's habit of, "Updating games to meet modern expectations," or whatever drivel they spew out whenever they want to fuck with a masterpiece. Things like Unitology being a blatant, upside the head parody of Scientology. If they fuck with what made this game a classic I'm out.

Edit - I want it to be scene-to-scene identical with a fresh coat of paint, don't even change the voice acting. Even then I'm waiting 6 months for it to hit Gamepass through EA Play.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Just like the last of us part 1, this looks great but the old one also looks great.

I play on pc so have played dead space 1 at 8k 60fps and it looks amazing.

I think when I play dead space 1 and the last of us part 1 on my pc at 4k@120hz then I'll do a 180 degree turnaround and say it was very necessary.

YouTube videos aren't doing it for me on both the games, especially the last of us part 1 as it's 1440p 60fps on the weak ass ps5.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want it to be scene-to-scene identical with a fresh coat of paint, don't even change the voice acting.
I dont expect 1:1 remake of the original, in fact we already saw some of the changes they made like how you move through zero gravity. In the first game you mostly jump around but in remake they made it similar to 2nd game, you can freely move around thanks to his small thrusters on his feet.

Last edited:

gioGAF

I'm curious, will this be released as a finished product or are they going for the monetization after release? I would love to get this so I can replay this great game, especially if all the add-ons they tried to peddle the first time are included.

I just can't see EA releasing something and not trying to scam me for more money after the fact.

Complete release with everything the original contained thrown in, I'll buy it at a high price.
A release that throws in a bunch of microtransactions, no thanks.

What is this?

bender

What time is it?
I replayed Dead Space 2 a few years back and while I loved it when it initially released, I liked it less through a modern lens. The original was always my favorite and I ended up replaying that about a month ago and it actually made me miss my time with Dead Space 2, so much so that I'm replaying Dead Space 2 again and my impressions are much more favorable this time around. I think it's aged better than the original. I kind of wish this a remake collection instead of just the original. Visually, the upgrade is nice, especially the suit and lighting. My only quibble is that the new stasis bubble looks a little lame.

DavidGzz

I disagree. It's not a remake unless the whole game is remade.

Yep, for me there are two tiers. Remasters and reimaginings. Demon's, TLOU, and this are remasters. Resident Evil 2 and 3, reimaginings. Reimaginings can also help people stfu about missing things like the clocktower in RE3. It's a different take. The other games play exactly the same they just look more modern.

tommib

Gold Member
Yep, for me there are two tiers. Remasters and reimaginings. Demon's, TLOU, and this are remasters. Resident Evil 2 and 3, reimaginings. Reimaginings can also help people stfu about missing things like the clocktower in RE3. It's a different take. The other games play exactly the same they just look more modern.
So Dark Souls Remastered and Demon’s Souls PS5 are both remasters? Can’t you see the galaxial difference between those releases?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
They're really sticking close to the original on the level layouts, which is cool I guess. The art direction also feels pretty faithful to the original's intent, if not identical in every case.

The one thing I don't really like is the new suit. It's a little too "bad ass" or militarized and undermines the sense that Isaac is an everyman and not a soldier.

DavidGzz

So Dark Souls Remastered and Demon’s Souls PS5 are both remasters? Can’t you see the galaxial difference between those releases?

Yeah, in my opinion. There is a great difference, but does the game play exactly the same? You can choose to use remake. That term is annoying to me when they play exactly the same. Prettier makeup on the original game, is still a remaster, just a much prettier version of one. It's like Diablo 2 you can press the g button to go back to the original game, it doesn't stop the fact that it looks incredibly better, the same way Demon Souls does, but it's still the same exact game where it matters. The gameplay.

Edit: and to be honest, a res boop and a few more strands of grass is a sorry excuse for a remaster. More like a patch. Dark Souls remastered shouldn't even have that in the title. It's just a damned patch. What Sony should have given us for Bloodborne a looooonng time ago.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Yeah, in my opinion. There is a great difference, but does the game play exactly the same? You can choose to use remake. That term is annoying to me when they play exactly the same. Prettier makeup on the original game, is still a remaster, just a much prettier version of one. It's like Diablo 2 you can press the g button to go back to the original game, it doesn't stop the fact that it looks incredibly better, the same way Demon Souls does, but it's still the same exact game where it matters. The gameplay.
Then you’re coming up with your own definition of a remaster. No one in any serious gaming publication would call Demon’s Souls a remaster so I’m surprised that in a videogame forum people don’t know how to use these terms.

It’s your reality and your identify. Be yourself. I’m not here to stop it.

DavidGzz

Then you’re coming up with your own definition of a remaster. No one in any serious gaming publication would call Demon’s Souls a remaster so I’m surprised that in a videogame forum people don’t know how to use these terms.

It’s your reality and your identify. Be yourself. I’m not here to stop it.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. The only difference is that I'm choosing to ignore the term remake. If there are no drastic changes to gameplay or how the game plays out, it's just a remaster. The quality of the make up doesn't matter. If it plays a lot differently has different level layouts and slightly different story then it's a reimagining. This is like when people argue about what a RPG is. Nobody wins, cuz at the end of the day it's just an opinion. A retouch, no matter how pretty the makeup is, is just a remaster to me.

I know the remake hate is primarily because the game is published by EA, but I'm really hoping that the people who are taking the piss out of this remake aren't the same people who were fellating the fuck out of the TLOU remake, because neither are mind-blowing graphically, and it seems that the TLOU remake was even less of an actual remake than Dead Space.
Deep down I know that the Dead Space remake will be treated as a one-off failure by EA no matter what.... But part of me hopes that something good will come from this release, because the setting has a lot of potential.

I watched the gameplay trailer and the video.

Baseline graphically, it doesn’t look that different.

But like the video said, it’s more about lighting which I feel is very important to horror.

Regardless, it’s going to be 4K, HDR, new lighting system, what more can you ask for?

Capcom did an incredible job but this isn’t compatible to the Resident Evil remakes. It isn’t a remake.

This couldn’t come out fast enough. The original was incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom