• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Creatures [Wii] new details and spider video.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/883/883119p1.html

Deadly Creatures comes to life with some of the best visuals on Wii. Rainbow has pushed the hardware to deliver commendably detailed main character models and some environments that are beautifully skinned with crisp textures and colored with a convincing, ambient palette. A few of the locales boast a great amount of 3D geometry, too. In one such area, you'll see dozens of different, twisting branches layered in the background as the tarantula walks through. Rainbow Studios says that it still wants to add some background animations to this area so that you'll be able to see peering eyes behind trees and critters running away as you crawl. The downside to the great tech and art package, however, is that the admittedly unfinished game still runs with some framerate slowdowns, and the camera occasionally hiccups, losing sight of the tarantula as it crawls over ledges, flipping the viewpoint. We're hopeful that the studio can work the finer details before the game ships this Halloween. Even with these quibbles, Deadly Creatures is quickly becoming one of the most compelling third-party games to hit Nintendo's console, as evidenced by the fact that we already can't wait to sit down and play through the game from beginning to end, taking in the story nuances even as we pounce onto and devour crickets.

Interesting that the game seems to involve a story around humans, as well,

Ydahs

Videos looks awesome. This game is certainly one of Wii's best lookers and possibly the best looking 3rd party title.
Lots of Geometry Here is a must see!

Though I'm not too sure about the gameplay as of yet. Hopefully it doesn't get old quick.

phalestine

aka iby.h
The game indeed does look good, the music was kinda neat. but I wont be picking it up solely on the reason that I am a big bitch when it comes to snakes.

batbeg

Looks absolutely awesome. For some reason IGN's new player doesn't like me though, so I'm having to download the videos :-\

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Looks great. Looks like third party's are finally making quality stuff.

Vinci

Danish
iby.h said:
The game indeed does look good, the music was kinda neat. but I wont be picking it up solely on the reason that I am a big bitch when it comes to snakes.

This is me too. Only with spiders. Fuck spiders. I wish like hell that I could see passed it enough to buy this game though, 'cause it does look good.

Everything about this sounds awesome, including, strangely enough, its integration of a storyline. IGN's description of the story is reminiscent of something that might be used for a Pixar movie. The graphics look pretty damn good too. If the game play stays interesting for the duration of the game, the controls work well, and the frame rate and camera issues are ironed out, I think it'll be very good.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I wish they'd do something other than a healthbar. It just seems out of place, and this is the perfect kind of game to try something else in. At the very least, I wish they would make it a hidden system, so it doesn't pop up on the HUD. Otherwise it's looking neat to me.

bigmakstudios said:
Everything about this sounds awesome, including, strangely enough, its integration of a storyline. IGN's description of the story is reminiscent of something that might be used for a Pixar movie. The graphics look pretty damn good too. If the game play stays interesting for the duration of the game, the controls work well, and the frame rate and camera issues are ironed out, I think it'll be very good.

Yeah I really agree with the Pixar point. Rainbow could have easily implemented a half-hearted story, or not even implemented one at all, yet they really have put in a lot of effort into this game.

I'm really excited by this preview because it actually sounds like a polished 3rd party game. Good controls. Impressive visuals. Moody soundtrack. Fun gameplay. Deep story. And it provides a very unique experience too - you can't say this is like any other game this generation.

Consider me pumped. I just hope the fun lasts throughout the entire game - it seems like something that could become repetitive if the gameplay mechanics are not constantly fresh. Thankfully, the fact you have two different creatures who play very differently should alleviate this issue.

Avrum

Ydahs said:
Videos looks awesome. This game is certainly one of Wii's best lookers and possibly the best looking 3rd party title.
Lots of Geometry Here is a must see!

Though I'm not too sure about the gameplay as of yet. Hopefully it doesn't get old quick.

Holy crap, when the spider opened up into that huge area housing gnarled branch cove (that's what I'm calling it, leave me alone :p) I was like "wow." And it takes a game about a spider and a scorpion to get something like this from a third party? This and De Blob is putting THQ heavily on my radar right now.

By the by, I love the idle animation the tarantula has when you aren't moving. That twitchy, leg movement like an actual spider... I swear I'm starting to feel as if something is crawling on me every so often.

It's great that THQ has a couple seemingly awesome Wii games coming up. I guess THQ is in the position that most people thought Ubisoft was going to be in when it came to 3rd party Wii games.

sonicspear64 said:
It's great that THQ has a couple seemingly awesome Wii games coming up. I guess THQ is in the position that most people thought Ubisoft was going to be in when it came to 3rd party Wii games.

It's kinda of ironic really.

Ubisoft started with exclusive Wii games that represented some effort, even if they weren't all that great. Since then they've been putting shitty ports and low-budget shovelware onto the system without apprehension.

THQ, on the other hand, only put crappy kiddy games and ports onto the system at first. Yet soon enough we'll be getting two (reportedly) high quality, exclusive games that show genuine effort.

Seems like one of the two actually somewhat gets it.

Me neither. This could be the best Wii game, hell the best game ever, and I could not play it.

Christ dude, I'm one of the biggest wusses you'll ever see around spiders. I honestly turn into a little girl whenever one is in my proximity. That's what some awesome about this game - it would barely have to try, and it would still most likely be the scariest game i've ever played. Can't wait.

The M.O.B

I can excuse THQ's other junk since they bringing DeBlob and this to the Wii, Unlike some 3rd parties they seem to have something going on, that will hopefully last past these titles.

stuminus3

This looks awesome. I really, really hope it IS awesome.

It won't sell to the GTA and Halo crowd, but it sure has my attention.

JDSN

Banned
It will be interesting to control a character that creeps me out so much, the animations of the tarantula are great.

bdouble

Metaphoreus said:
I wish they'd do something other than a healthbar. It just seems out of place, and this is the perfect kind of game to try something else in. At the very least, I wish they would make it a hidden system, so it doesn't pop up on the HUD. Otherwise it's looking neat to me.

Yeah other than that though I'm really likin how they kept the hud minimal.

Avrum said:
By the by, I love the idle animation the tarantula has when you aren't moving. That twitchy, leg movement like an actual spider... I swear I'm starting to feel as if something is crawling on me every so often.

Yeah something about the animation in this game I really like. Really makes the playable characters seem alive.

Also the Webslining video shows off a very nice environment fly by.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Environments still look crappy but they really cleaned them up and the creature models are very impressive.

Not my kind of game though. </3

This looks pretty damn cool. Pretty awesome atmophere, music, and visuals as well. I'd love to be able to try it to judge the gameplay, but this looks really fun and engaging so far.
Really hoping for the final game to deliver on its promises, because if so, that would be a Day One purchase for me.

Teknoman

I'd play it. Maybe it would be a good example to ALL developers that if someone can make a great looking and playing game about standard Earth creatures, the Wii isnt as limited a platform as they give it credit to be.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
from that video this game's scene complexity seems to be in corruption's league, color me technically impressed. otherwise, the art direction is not my cup of tea, but i'll give the game its chance to impress me there too.

Arde5643

Avrum said:
Oh man, I love that animation they have for the spider's legs - they've really done their homework there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
_Alkaline_ said:
It's kinda of ironic really.

Ubisoft started with exclusive Wii games that represented some effort, even if they weren't all that great. Since then they've been putting shitty ports and low-budget shovelware onto the system without apprehension.

THQ, on the other hand, only put crappy kiddy games and ports onto the system at first. Yet soon enough we'll be getting two (reportedly) high quality, exclusive games that show genuine effort.

Seems like one of the two actually somewhat gets it.

Christ dude, I'm one of the biggest wusses you'll ever see around spiders. I honestly turn into a little girl whenever one is in my proximity. That's what some awesome about this game - it would barely have to try, and it would still most likely be the scariest game i've ever played. Can't wait.
It is weird, THQ as a publisher makes a far bigger gamble when supporting low-profile developers, yet they seem to actually *GET* the Wii, as opposed to Ubisoft, being BOTH developer and publisher, who won't really lose that much money (Which they wouldn't) if they made a great Wii game, instead of

IMAGINE KITTEN BABIEZ 3: BABIES GO PARTYING UP ON A BOARD GAME: Waggle to win edition

tabsina

Avrum said:
I love the idle animation the tarantula has when you aren't moving. That twitchy, leg movement like an actual spider

same, they have done a really good job throwing that into the mix

Pimpbaa

I'm definitely dusting off my wii for this unless the game isn't as fun as it looks or something. More 3rd party support like this please.

Easy_D said:
It is weird, THQ as a publisher makes a far bigger gamble when supporting low-profile developers, yet they seem to actually *GET* the Wii, as opposed to Ubisoft, being BOTH developer and publisher, who won't really lose that much money (Which they wouldn't) if they made a great Wii game, instead of

IMAGINE KITTEN BABIEZ 3: BABIES GO PARTYING UP ON A BOARD GAME: Waggle to win edition

And it's especially odd since THQ aren't exactly renowned for creating original, exclusive IP. de Blob and Deadly Creatures might not be high-budget, killer app titles, but it does seem like a lot of thought and effort has been placed into these games, which is more than i can say of most 3rd party games on Wii.

farnham

Banned
funny how all the people on the forums cry that the wii has no titles

yet I see many many interesting games like this (or like boomblox, blastworks) that could be awesome

Dascu

This game looks surprisingly good. Good to see THQ publish titles like this and deBlob. I'll probably be getting both.

later

Hopefully they'll add some better lightning, and shadows..

I'm interested in this game but it does look like it would get old really fast. We'll see.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I don't understand what is going on but I'm fucking wasted so yeah, this game should be something about spiders. FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

EDIT: Mmmmm, I smell hashbrowns.

Good start. I'm not crazy about that snake fight though. It kinda took me out of the whole spider experience and put me back into the same boss fight we've seen from countless Japanese action games.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, the spider's animations were *really* good.

It obviously needs some work (better lighting and shadows, stable frame rate), but it also doesn't come out until late October.

Drawn to Life, de Blob, and Deadly Creatures. THQ likes the Wii.

jibblypop

Banned
I love the concept of this game so I would give it a try either way. It's looking good though. Nice graphics and the gameplay seems good but I'll have to give it a try to really see.

Top Bottom