• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Could Actually Get a Best Picture Oscar Nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well deserved. It won't win but deserves recognition with a nomination. Can't think of a bigger cultural touchstone last year that was also not hot garbage like so many other cultural touchstones.

And it's fucking amazing that a Deadpool film did all this.

LionPride

Banned
Well deserved. It won't win but deserves recognition with a nomination. Can't think of a bigger cultural touchstone last year that was also not hot garbage like so many other cultural touchstones.

And it's fucking amazing that a Deadpool film did all this.

How is it a cultural touchstone

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
How is it a cultural touchstone
The entire beginning of the year his all anyone talked about.

The ad campaign was phenomenal, the trailers did exceedingly well hit wise and it created a whole new language for advertising in general that took the public by storm. Maybe not you, but it's entire build up was incredible and watching it from the perspective of someone in advertising it was a master class in how to do this shit right.

All cultural touchstones, especially in the late 20th, early 21st century have been generated by advertising and marketing.

vaderise

I'm a huge fanboy when it comes to super heroes and super hero movies so I absolutely LOVED Deadpool but this is a huge NOPE for me. It was a fun movie, it had great humour and it's rewatchable but that's it, it is a FUN super hero movie. Nothing more.

Civil War was better

Zubz

Banned
tumblr_o2wxuwfc6y1udh5n8o1_500.gif

I'm so tired of this .GIF... But I came here to post it. I doubt it'll win, but it really is one of the best comic book movies of this comic book movie bubble, and probably one of the most enjoyable to people that didn't care about the characters prior to the movie.

Deadpool may not deserve the win, but it needs it.

LionPride

Banned
The entire beginning of the year his all anyone talked about.

The ad campaign was phenomenal, the trailers did exceedingly well hit wise and it created a whole new language for advertising in general that took the public by storm. Maybe not you, but it's entire build up was incredible and watching it from the perspective of someone in advertising it was a master class in how to do this shit right.

All cultural touchstones, especially in the late 20th, early 21st century have been generated by advertising and marketing.

I won't call it a cultural touchstone because they used what people know about the character, which is him being a foul mouthed 4th wall breaking merc, to market the movie. Great marketing sure, but not a touchstone.

I won't call it a cultural touchstone because they used what people know about the character, which is him being a foul mouthed 4th wall breaking merc, to market the movie. Great marketing sure, but not a touchstone.
But mainstream public didn't know much about deadpool. Hell im a nerd and I knew very little

Tugatrix

Guys Crash, Shakespeers in Love and King Speech won best film Oscars and you honestly can tell me with a straight face they are better than Deapool just because they are "serious" movies?

Brinbe

Too bad because it'd be genuinely well-deserved. It's undoubtedly one of the most clever, humorous and sweet movies of 2016. But puritans and highbrow folk will throw its vulgarity back at it as if it's wrong to be raunchy, crude, or violent. Unfortunately, I guess it has too much working against it.

Deadpool is a better, realer (and better musically) romantic movie than LA LA LAND but y'know which movie is gonna get the accolades in the end.

And I've seen a shitload of these critically-acclaimed movies. Deadpool is right there with them.

NOW I've lost all hope in humanity...

http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominati..._t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_acd_noms_hd

^^ La La Land is going to win one or two Oscars, isn't it?

That'd be really weird to me.

I don't know if it was a case of heightened expectations because of the buzz, but I went into lalaland expecting a top class musical, and while it was a fun film, there were no songs I'd remember the lyrics to in a years time (I barely remember any of them now), and this isn't a film I'll be rewatching again and again like any of my 30 or 40 favourite musicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom