• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Could Actually Get a Best Picture Oscar Nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
But as far as comedy film goes it's strange.

I enjoyed Deadpool, but I think I thought Crank and Shoot Em Up where better ultra-violent action comedies. Is Deadpool more clever than these?

Crank is... It might be one of my favorite films. I have nothing to back it up. To acuments or anecdotes that give levy to the idea that it's a great work of art. It's simply- and not even in a shameless kind of way, something I enjoyed immensely.
That film to me felt like Grand Theft Auto the movie. It's plot structure is so simple, yet so compelling. And all it is is an excuse to take the character through high octane outputs with no stop.
People say that it's the same concept as Speed, but Speed wasn't a fun movie. It was a competent action movie- A 90s classic (that doesn't hold up well today). Crank is so much fun.
Shoot Em Up with Paul Giamatti as one of the most compelling villains I have seen also has this outragous slapstick humor with carrots piercing bad guys eyesballs with a "Whats up duck?" tagline. It's dumb and entertaining.

Deadpools most fun moments where actually commentary dialogue. I laughed the most at the old lady scenes. I liked Deadpool and I like the idea of a comedy winning best picture, but I don't think DP is worthy. Surely it's not as good as the Cornetto films? At the very least not as good as Hot Fuzz!

Dominator

I enjoyed Deadpool, but I think I thought Crank and Shoot Em Up where better ultra-violent action comedies. Is Deadpool more clever than these?

Crank is... It might be one of my favorite films. I have nothing to back it up. To acuments or anecdotes that give levy to the idea that it's a great work of art. It's simply- and not even in a shameless kind of way, something I enjoyed immensely.
That film to me felt like Grand Theft Auto the movie. It's plot structure is so simple, yet so compelling. And all it is is an excuse to take the character through high octane outputs with no stop.
People say that it's the same concept as Speed, but Speed wasn't a fun movie. It was a competent action movie- A 90s classic (that doesn't hold up well today). Crank is so much fun.
Shoot Em Up with Paul Giamatti as one of the most compelling villains I have seen also has this outragous slapstick humor with carrots piercing bad guys eyesballs with a "Whats up duck?" tagline. It's dumb and entertaining.

Deadpools most fun moments where actually commentary dialogue. I laughed the most at the old lady scenes. I liked Deadpool and I like the idea of a comedy winning best picture, but I don't think DP is worthy. Surely it's not as good as the Cornetto films? At the very least not as good as Hot Fuzz!
Crank is one of my favorite movies of all-time also. *high five*

Shit is awesome as fuck.

The big difference I see here is that Crank and Shoot em Up had straight faced lead characters that don't try to be funny every fucking time they're on the screen. It makes the whole thing funnier IMO because it feels even more absurd and even when the joke don't land who cares you have Clive Owen shooting shit at fools. It doesn't try too hard.

Deadpool meanwhile has Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes about himself being a shit actor. Ha ha! And while him being really obnoxious is really the point of the character, there was one joke that had me laughing and it was the Liam Neeson one and it just got me thinking that maybe I should have watched Taken again instead of this.

-griffy-

Banned

Deadpool isn't up for awards consideration against those movies, it's up for awards consideration against the movies released in 2016.

This would be a fucking travesty if it actually happened. There are way too many good films this year to acknowledge a slightly above average comic book movie.

Ridley327

This would be a fucking travesty if it actually happened. There are way too many good films this year to acknowledge a slightly above average comic book movie.

As someone who watches a lot of films each year, I can guarantee you that they would be ignored with or without Deadpool in the way. As long as they don't have the money to mount a campaign, it's not going to happen in any event.

You can still be a good-to-great film without needing AMPAS to tell you that it is.

Crank and Scott Pilgrim are the best videogame movies ever made. I guess I can give it to Edge Of Tomorrow, too.

Not

Banned
Would be awesome.

As other people have pointed out, those five extra slots have mostly gone to even MORE arthouse films

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Would love to see it win. I had more fun and enjoy more of this movie than quite a few other flicks that came out this year. It was put together well, had a good/great story, was hilarious and looked fuckin great.

It doesn't have the gravity/style perhaps of a Mad Max... but it had more character and life in it. Fuckin good times... I hope it at least gets a nom so i can see Ryan's face looking all "You've got to be fuckin kiddin me" up on the screen with all the other contenders lol :)

NastyBook

Still the ONLY Marvel movie to 100% nail drama with the cancer scene. And I know that's the low hanging fruit for movie drama, but they knocked it out of the fucking park. Shit got so real, so fast, it makes any other dramatic scene in other Marvel films look that much worse.

.la1n

Personal opinion of the movie aside; let's not pretend we don't all know how these awards work. As far as I know it's never been so much about the quality of the movies but the quantity of money the campaign has.

it wont, lego movie didn't get nominated despite being the best animated movie two years ago. because they're biased against anything that may even appear commercial.

That's kinda a weird observation to make on the same year the Disney superhero-comedy movie Big Hero 6 won against the likes of The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea.

Its just a nomination, of course is not the best picture of the year. But if being nominated makes Ryan reynolds go to the oscars as deadpool and being mentioned as a joke in Deadpool 2 im all for it to be nominated.
The awards are already a joke, lets have some laughs instead of bieng gloomy and shit for once.

And holy shit at some people comparing it to Brexit and trump, have your priorities straight people, and dont compare innoncent stupidity for a laugh to real serious problems!

sn00zer

Why? Kingsman and KICK ASS both did a better job of R rated superheros. Deadpool was fun but it wasnt wildly original nor was it the best in its genre.

big ander

I mean, it's a mediocre-to-bad movie, but mediocre-to-bad movies have been the mainstay of BP noms for all time so go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom