• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Could Actually Get a Best Picture Oscar Nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's subjective then that's exactly what it means...
Put it this way. The Shining received mixed to poor reviews when it released, to the point that it was nominated for Razzies for worst actress and worst director. The Thing received similar poor reviews and impressions when it released. But that doesn't mean those movies are bad. In fact they're generally considered genre classics/masterpieces today

Basically not liking something doesn't mean the thing you don't like is badly made or whatnot.

Sephzilla

I hope it gets one just to piss off the snobs on this site that think they know movies because they saw one Kurosawa film and skimmed through Hero of a Thousand Faces in college.

b7hy8x9.gif

marrec

Banned
Put it this way. The Shining received mixed to poor reviews when it released, to the point that it was nominated for Razzies for worst actress and worst director. The Thing received similar poor reviews and impressions when it released. But that doesn't mean those movies are bad. In fact they're generally considered genre classics/masterpieces today

Basically not liking something doesn't mean the thing you don't like is badly made or whatnot.

Agree with the above but also...

If it's subjective then that's exactly what it means...

No it just means you think it's bad. You thinking it's bad doesn't impart it with some intrinsic property of badness.

Ralemont

not me
People don't like Crash? Why?

It has an extremely smug yet overly simplistic message on racism.

That being said I think the Best Picture nom has swung the pendulum too far into "this movie's total crap" when I think that - putting aside how effective its messaging is - it has some emotional, touching scenes in it. Like the Persians' store getting trashed because they were mistaken for Arabs, or Matt Dillon saving Thandie Newton.

haimon

It would be great just to see some stuffy over important presenter would have to say it as one of the nominees.

It has no chance of winning but why not enjoy it actually getting nominated, especially as a joke...

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think my critique of Deadpool is a little bit more substantial than "I didn't laugh at the jokes." I thought there were some great lines. My problem is it's not focused, and the love story arc was unnecessary.

Hmmm. I thought Wade/Vanessa had some of the best chemistry I'd ever seen in a superhero movie and it was my favorite part of Deadpool. You actually got the feeling that these two fucked up people really cared about and relied on each other instead of "oh hey I just saved you from some giant monster, let's make out now."

While Deadpool is far from the year's best comic book movie, I absolutely understand why it's the one that awards voters are rallying behind. The script is willing to openly mock and play around with the genre's tropes, and offers just enough commentary to make Academy voters comfortable in endorsing it. A vote for Deadpool is a vote both for and against superhero movies.

Plus, it's been an overall weak year - which makes a crowd pleaser like Deadpool easier to justify.

1) The PGAs always have 10 noms. With the current rules, the Oscars have not had more than 9 noms.
2) For the 3 years the Oscars did have 10 noms, the PGAs only matched up once.

It's not a 0% chance that Deadpool gets in, but it's so close to 0 that I find these articles pretty silly. The biggest thing coming out of these noms is that Sully and Silence's oscar chances are confirmed dead.

Wensih

No it just means you think it's bad. You thinking it's bad doesn't impart it with some intrinsic property of badness.

Yep! If something is subjective it's up to the individual to determine its quality. What bizzaro world is this where the argument is, "It's subjective, therefore you cannot say it's bad."

In other words, you saying it's good and general consensus saying it's good doesn't impart it with some intrinsic property of goodness if it's a subjective medium.

Sephzilla

Oh yeah. I actually forgot that existed. I think I enjoyed it, though evidently it didn't stick with me.

I liked it when I watched it but it was such standard origin story fair. So much so that I forgot I even saw it. My view on it is becoming less favourable as time goes on.

Yeah Dr Strange didn't stick with me that much, outside of having a fairly decent ending, but I'd still say it was good - just not great.

LakeEarth

Yeah Dr Strange didn't stick with me that much, outside of having a fairly decent ending, but I'd still say it was good - just not great.

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of Strange, but I really appreciated the ending being 'outside the box' for superhero movies.

Vesmir

Banned
I don't get the "imagine if Deadpool got a nomination and Dark Knight didn't" posts. Things have changed since Dark Knight came out, there are more nominations slots available and both movies are fantastic in their own right. Besides, it has no chance on winning even if it were nominated.
I would consider it a win for these types of movies overall if it were nominated, like Mad Max before it.

Have you actually seen it?

I like Deadpool and hope it gets a BP nom (partially to piss off the purists yes) but La La Land is a much better movie than Deadpool.
Yeah, that isn't a statement about the quality of lala land as it is with the academy having routines. They tend to pick films about Hollywood and every time that happens I keep feeling like it's a ploy.

Sephzilla

What does that have to do with Deadpool tho

Fury Road was another movie that nobody expected to get a best picture nominee, yet it did. Hell, I think early on there was a GAF thread about it that got locked because the mod thought it was a really silly topic to even discuss.

TheFlow

Banned
]Depends on the snob tbh.[/B]

A lot of FilmGAF don't give a shit (and they're the ones whose opinions I respect) but there are snobs who think that the Oscars are like the guide to what's good. Of course, they're the uneducated type.

Pretty much. I think a lot of people realize that the Oscar's are not the best judge of a Film's worth.

Alienous

epic chimichangas ftw sex is awesome hello 4th wall ur a lil bitch

So much of the 'humour' in Deadpool is shit. I think he shouts "you chrome cock-gobbler" at one point. It's just devoid of wit. The situational comedy fares better most of the language-based humour is cringeworthy. Fucking awful.

Just shows what a shit year its been for movies. Freaking deadpool.
It's been an excellent year for movies.

Anomalisa
Arrival
Cemetery Of Splendour
Christine
Couple In A Hole
Deadpool
Embrace Of The Serpent
Elle
Everybody Wants Some!!
Evolution
Eye In The Sky
Fences
Free Fire
Heaven Knows What
Hell Or High Water
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
I, Daniel Blake
Kubo and the Two Strings
La La Land
Layla M
Little Men
Love and Friendship
Manchester By The Sea
Maggie's Plan
Midnight Special
Moonlight
Mustang
Notes On Blindness
Neon Demon
Prevenge
Psychonauts, The Forgotten Children
Silence
Son Of Saul
The Eyes Of My Mother
The Childhood Of A Leader
The Red Turtle
The Wailing
The Witch
The Woman Who Left
Time Out Of Mind
Toni Erdmann
Train To Busan
Under The Shadow
Wiener-Dog
Without Name
Your Name

Dalek

Strange & Civil were top-form Marvel. I also think they're better than Deadpool by a considerable magnitude.

I liked them more than Deadpool too, but I really respect the creators of Deadpool. They had a vision for the tone of their movie and stuck it. What you see in the final product is what they set out to do. Miraculously Fox didn't meddle with them-because Fox had no confidence in the project at all. Meanwhile, it's their highest rated X-film, it made a fortune and it's possible to get a best picture nomination.

Then look at what Fox did with Apocalypse.

I did not enjoy this movie at all. I kinda hated it, actually.

On the other hand, it's been an especially weak year in a decade full of them.

I liked them more than Deadpool too, but I really respect the creators of Deadpool. They had a vision for the tone of their movie and stuck it. What you see in the final product is what they set out to do. Miraculously Fox didn't meddle with them-because Fox had no confidence in the project at all. Meanwhile, it's their highest rated X-film, it made a fortune and it's possible to get a best picture nomination.

Then look at what Fox did with Apocalypse.
I have to agree. The story how HOW Deadpool happened is tremendously inspiring, and makes you root for the film - even if you don't love its content. Reynolds loved the character, saw it get butchered in Origins, and fought for years to do it right with a team that had the same vision. And Fox turned them away, until they leaked teaser footage and got the internet to strong arm a studio.

Then the flick comes out, and does record-setting business.

Dalek

I have to agree. The story how HOW Deadpool happened is tremendously inspiring, and makes you root for the film - even if you don't love its content. Reynolds loved the character, saw it get butchered in Origins, and fought for years to do it right with a team that had the same vision. And Fox turned them away, until they leaked teaser footage and got the internet to strong arm a studio.

Then the flick comes out, and does record-setting business.

It's seriously awesome. You have to respect that story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom