• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Could Actually Get a Best Picture Oscar Nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wow, didn't realize the tide had turned so strongly against Deadpool on GAF.

it got too popular. Its the same with everything, games, shows, etc.

Its cool to be contrary man! Or something.

Wensih

Haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople but I've seen The Lobster and Popstar and I just have to assume this post is sarcasm cause they were both awful.
Nope. Laughed throughout the lobster, and I still quote it, very dark and dry humor, like all Lanthimos films, but he is an amazing director.

TheFlow

Banned
A comedy that's not funny is a good comedy?

There were some good jokes, but again it runs on the say so much something has to land format.

comedy is the most subjective genre of film. It is ok if you didn't like it. It is still a critical acclaimed comedy with tons of nominations. Deserving so.

nice guys is still my comedy of the year

-griffy-

Banned
Frankly more movies like Deadpool should get recognition. It's not just serious dramas that have work put into them. Comedies, action movies, animated movies should all get actual best picture consideration when they are deserving.

tomtom94

It's a funny film, and I'll grant that they did a LOT with a small budget, but it doesn't deserve that. It'd be insulting to the tonnes of films which get left off the list (particularly animated and foreign language films) due to the way nominations are done (which left us without 10 nominees last year)

Also, fanboy glasses aside, Dark Knight was never going to get a Best Picture nom; Inception was robbed, though, particularly if you believe the theory a lot of people were assuming TDKR would be a masterpiece so they could reward Nolan ROTK-style.

comedy is the most subjective genre of film. It is ok if you didn't like it. It is still a critical acclaimed comedy with tons of nominations. Deserving so.

Nice guys has an amazing first half but falls apart completely after the party imo.

TheFlow

Banned
Haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople but I've seen The Lobster and Popstar and I just have to assume this post is sarcasm cause they were both awful.

I've seen them all now and they're all high quality films and I wouldn't be pissed if they got the BP. Just saying from my personal opinion Arrival or Kubo were my favorites.
ah ok I understand where your coming from.

I thought the Lobster and popstar were solid movies both very different types of comedies.

marrec

Banned
Frankly more movies like Deadpool should get recognition. It's not just serious dramas that have work put into them. Comedies, action movies, animated movies should all get actual best picture consideration when they are deserving.

Especially in a year where the contention is really only between 3 movies (2 really, Manchester ain't getting it)

Silence is a great film and well deserving of a nom, but I'm not going to shit myself if Deadpool gets in over Silence when neither of them have a chance of winning.

p2535748

I mean, it was one of the best movies of the year. Critically acclaimed, commercially successful... why not?

I'd put it in my personal top 10 (at #10) and it's a well made, very funny movie.

I don't see why people are saying it'd be embarrassing? Cause of the penis jokes?

Without actually getting into the merits of the film, it's not "critically acclaimed". Metacritic has it at a 65, indicating good but not great reviews. To give an idea of where it sits, the #100 reviewed movie of last year is at a 76, Captain America: Civil War is a 75, and Sausage Party is a 66.

I'm not trying to say that's an accurate assessment, or that it should matter to anyone who likes the film, just that it's not really beloved by critics.

marrec

Banned
Without actually getting into the merits of the film, it's not "critically acclaimed". Metacritic has it at a 65, indicating good but not great reviews. To give an idea of where it sits, the #100 reviewed movie of last year is at a 76, Captain America: Civil War is a 75, and Sausage Party is a 66.

I'm not trying to say that's an accurate assessment, or that it should matter to anyone who likes the film, just that it's not really beloved by critics.

Critically liked then I suppose.

Critically accepted.

Critically challenging! There we go.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I hope it gets one just to piss off the snobs on this site that think they know movies because they saw one Kurosawa film and skimmed through Hero of a Thousand Faces in college.

mkenyon

Banned
PSA: The writer of Deadpool was a famous capper in Tribes 1/2. He revolutionized the way people ran routes in that game. (Super Grover, if anyone remembers).

If Deadpool wins over lala land I will scream with joy.... but lala will win because it's a movie about Hollywood and they eat that shit up.
Have you actually seen it?

I like Deadpool and hope it gets a BP nom (partially to piss off the purists yes) but La La Land is a much better movie than Deadpool.

Dalek

Nolan deserved more love for Interstellar

Jonah-Hill-Cut-It-Out.gif

marrec

Banned
Have you actually seen it?

I like Deadpool and hope it gets a BP nom (partially to piss off the purists yes) but La La Land is a much better movie than Deadpool.

Ya, I want it to get the nom but let's not get fucking crazy y'all there were a few really classic fucking movies made this year.

Wensih

I think my critique of Deadpool is a little bit more substantial than "I didn't laugh at the jokes." I thought there were some great lines. My problem is it's not focused, and the love story arc was unnecessary.

p2535748

So why don't people like the movie? That only means they dislike the choice

Crash is a terrible movie that doesn't know how to tell a parable so just smashes it's theories on racism in your face for two hours. It sacrifices any semblance of storytelling or character development in the interest of getting across the director's extraordinarily simplistic views of how the world works and how racism works.

Crash is a awful. Unless we're talking about the Cronenberg one where people have sex during car crashes. That one, I'm okay with.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Imagine if it won, then Deadpool just ran around in DP2 with an Oscar statue dangling from his belt, or around his neck like a giant necklace.

Like never actually comment on it, but it's there.
That would be hilarious. Just have an Oscar sitting on a shelf at his place or something.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I would love it for the salt from the MCU fans. Only Marvel movie nominated for BP.

I'm a huge MCU fan and I'd love to see Deadpool nominated. Fox has been mishandling the X-Men license for years, and Deadpool was essentially made against their will. They resisted everything about it and it really only happened because of Reynolds' persistence. A nomination for Deadpool is basically a giant sign held in Fox's face saying "EVERY INSTINCT YOU HAVE ABOUT THIS FRANCHISE IS WRONG." It would be great.

I would *love* it if the first comic book movie to ever be nominated for BP just happens to be the one that takes itself seriously the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom