• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool Test Footage Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bndadm

I'm not at all familiar with the character Deadpool, other than I've gotten a hint that he's a more dark comic/comical Marvel hero.

This short just sold me on the character. That was really fun! I hope reaction to this gets out positively.

sn00zer

I'm not at all familiar with the character Deadpool, other than I've gotten a hint that he's a more dark comic/comical Marvel hero.

This short just sold me on the character. That was really fun! I hope reaction to this gets out positively.

His mutant power is that he knows he's in a comic book

That's...that sounds amazing. I'm off to Comixology then!

Well, he isn't actually a mutant. Via Weapon-X, the people who coated Wolverine's bones with adamantium, he has a healing factor that works like crazy to combat his cancer (while also making his skin just absolutely disgusting, hence why he has a whole-body suit). But he does know he's in a comic and it IS amazing.

There was a run of comics during the late 90s/early 00's where he's teamed up with Taskmaster and for a brief stint, Dazzler, and they are some of my favorite comics ever. I think those books got me into comics in the first place, really.

ElRenoRaven

The reply below nails it.

Well, he isn't actually a mutant. Via Weapon-X, the people who coated Wolverine's bones with adamantium, he has a healing factor that works like crazy to combat his cancer (while also making his skin just absolutely disgusting, hence why he has a whole-body suit). But he does know he's in a comic and it IS amazing.

There was a run of comics during the late 90s/early 00's where he's teamed up with Taskmaster and for a brief stint, Dazzler, and they are some of my favorite comics ever. I think those books got me into comics in the first place, really.

This is deadpool. The comics really are good reads. The shtick that he knows he's a comic book character and he somewhat regularly breaks the 4th wall is just refreshing and hilariously fun. The storys are usually outlandish as hell too. They're just really a nice change from how serious all the other comics are.

strobogo

Banned
See, the top sentence is contradicted by the bottom sentence.

The movie is dead. That's why anyone's even seeing this. It's been dead. That clip is three years old, and in those three years, Fox has made two different X-Men movies. They're not concerned with Deadpool. It hasn't been "on and off" it's been off. If Wolverine Origins had made money and not been shithouse, maybe it would have stayed on. But it's been dead since then, and as I said (and you just agreed with) if X-Force gets made AND takes off AND Deadpool steals the whole movie - MAYBE we get a Deadpool movie. But probably not this one. Probably something completely different, written by different people, directed by a different director, probably starring whoever they cast in X-Force, who probably won't be Ryan Reynolds.

This thing that we're watching? It's the last home video of a guy who died years ago.

Origins made over double its budget back.

Origins made over double its budget back.

Origins was shithouse, and made nowhere near what they wanted it to make.

Then Origins came out.

The Deadpool talk went silent like Deadpool in Origins did.

Origins is considered a failure.

I mean, Batman & Robin cleared a profit, too.

Except it isn't canned. It is still in development.

No man. It isn't. People talking about it when asked during interviews isn't "development." All development has been halted for three years.

Acorn

I remember at the time the talk was very much "If Origin hits, they're gonna move forward on Deadpool"

Then Origins came out.

What? They greenlighted another immediately so they aren't unhappy with the return.

strobogo

Banned

I remember at the time the talk was very much "If Origin hits, they're gonna move forward on Deadpool"

Then Origins came out.

It made money. Doubling your budget on theater alone (not even counting DVDs/streaming/digital) is a success. Even if it wasn't as big of a success as hoped. It's because the movie was shitty, not because it didn't make money. And the shittiness of that movie didn't stop Fox from making another Wolverine movie a couple of years later. And then another X-Men movie to a series that might as well have been dead due to the last movie being shitty. And both The Wolverine and DOFP were very successful. I think there are more factors going into the lack of a DP movie than "Origins sucks/wasn't successful (which is was)".

What? They greenlighted another immediately so they aren't unhappy with the return.

Yes, they were. They are.

the film is considered a failure. This isn't just fan posturing. Fox greenlit another movie, but at a lower budget, after also shitcanning the other Origins movie they had planned. (Magneto - which ended up getting partially repurposed into First Class, I believe)

So Wolverine Origins did poorly enough that they cut the budget on the next sequel, (because they're not about to stop making Wolverine movies and risk the license) killed an already planned Origins movie, and seriously backed off of the Deadpool spinoff.

That's not a success. It's not considered a success at Fox. It's considered a black mark.

They just retconned it completely with Days of Future Past, too. So I don't know how much more you need, here. It was a failure.

Shit, that's right, Storm Origins was talked about as well. Completely forgot about that.

So, to recap: Wolverine Origins killed Magneto's solo, Storm's solo, and the possible Deadpool spinoff, while cutting The Wolverine's budget, before finally getting retconned out of existence by Days of Future Past.

That's a film the studio considers a success, huh.

Dice//

Banned
So..is this true yet?
4UuD6qG.png

strobogo

Banned
Shit, that's right, Storm Origins was talked about as well. Completely forgot about that.

So, to recap: Wolverine Origins killed Magneto's solo, Storm's solo, and the possible Deadpool spinoff, while cutting The Wolverine's budget, before finally getting retconned out of existence by Days of Future Past.

That's a film the studio considers a success, huh.

It made it's money back double. You said "If Origins had made money". It did. It made enough money that there was another Wolverine movie and 2 more X-Men movies. It didn't kill the franchise. If it had really killed everything, there wouldn't have been 3 more movies in 5 years. You're looking at it as "Well, the other origins movies got cancelled because of it". First Class is an ENTIRE origins movie. For the whole franchise, for individual characters. That's all it is. Add origins to the title. X-Men Origins: First Class. That's what that movie is. There was definitely never going to be a black woman action movie. There are barely white women action movies. I'd be surprised if there is even a Black Widow solo movie in the next 4-5 years.

glow

Banned
See, the top sentence is contradicted by the bottom sentence.

The movie is dead. That's why anyone's even seeing this. It's been dead. That clip is three years old, and in those three years, Fox has made two different X-Men movies. They're not concerned with Deadpool. It hasn't been "on and off" it's been off. If Wolverine Origins had made money and not been shithouse, maybe it would have stayed on. But it's been dead since then, and as I said (and you just agreed with) if X-Force gets made AND takes off AND Deadpool steals the whole movie - MAYBE we get a Deadpool movie. But probably not this one. Probably something completely different, written by different people, directed by a different director, probably starring whoever they cast in X-Force, who probably won't be Ryan Reynolds.

This thing that we're watching? It's the last home video of a guy who died years ago.

I'm glad we've got a Fox insider here to tell us exactly what is going to happen with future comic book movies. Thanks for sharing the info.

It made it's money back double. You said "If Origins had made money". It did. It made enough money that there was another Wolverine movie and 2 more X-Men movies..

Christ sake, if it had made 4 cents they were going to make another Wolverine movie. They're never coughing up that license. It didn't make the money they wanted it to make. Again - Batman & Robin cleared a profit, too. There's making money and then there's MAKING MONEY. They didn't do the latter.

I mean, you're trying to stick up for Origins' viability as a franchise extender when even the most basic analysis shows it took a bat to the X-Men's kneecaps. First Class is not an "origins" movie. Origins was a brand they had in place, ready to go, with Magneto and Storm movies lined up, as well as a possible Deadpool spinoff with Ryan Reynolds should Wolverine have MADE MONEY. And when it didn't, when it faceplanted, Fox canceled the two Origins movies, retreated from Deadpool, and came up with a completely different approach that became "First Class". Then they did the same with The Wolverine. Fox very obviously altered whatever plans they had in place before Origins: Wolverine hit. The money wasn't right. The reception was awful. It was a failure even if it ultimately profited.

Just repeating "but it made double its budget" addresses none of that, and isn't really worth shit as a factoid devoid of the larger context which you keep sidestepping for the sake of... shit, I don't know why you're doing it. It doesn't make any sense.

I mean, try explaining to someone how Wolverine Origins DIDN'T damage the brand in Fox's eyes and see if you can count to 20 before someone looks at you like you stopped speaking English halfway through.

I'm glad we've got a Fox insider here to tell us exactly what is going to happen with future comic book movies. Thanks for sharing the info.

You're welcome. Insider status can be attained by paying attention to things when they happen :)

But yeah, maybe there's a super-slim outside chance online attention causes Fox to spend 30-60 mil on a PG-13 Deadpool movie. I just dont see that happening without there being a larger team-movie to insert the character in first. And again, the character would have to resonate big in whatever that movie is.

Lord knows what the Gambit thing is going to be with Channing Tatum, but maybe Deadpool shows up there. Or maybe there's an X-Force flick somewhere down the line. Either way - it's going to be awhile before Deadpool is a possibility again. Maybe this video raises enough awareness and noise that this 3-years dead project gets fully revived. I mean, it COULD happen. But it probably won't.

Trike

Then Origins came out.

Origins is considered a failure.

I mean, Batman & Robin cleared a profit, too.

No man. It isn't. People talking about it when asked during interviews isn't "development." All development has been halted for three years.

The producer wasn't just talking about it, they were talking about it as if it was a viable option for the future of their Marvel movies, along with X-Force. The production is literally in the development stage. That is the earliest stage it can be in. It won't move past that stage until it is green-lit, which is currently what they are trying to get done. You can argue with the facts if you want, but that is currently where the film is.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yes, they were. They are.

the film is considered a failure. This isn't just fan posturing. Fox greenlit another movie, but at a lower budget, after also shitcanning the other Origins movie they had planned. (Magneto - which ended up getting partially repurposed into First Class, I believe)

So Wolverine Origins did poorly enough that they cut the budget on the next sequel, (because they're not about to stop making Wolverine movies and risk the license) killed an already planned Origins movie, and seriously backed off of the Deadpool spinoff.

That's not a success. It's not considered a success at Fox. It's considered a black mark.

They just retconned it completely with Days of Future Past, too. So I don't know how much more you need, here. It was a failure.

Can you imagine the ridiculous bullshit they must of had planned as far as continuing his character from the Wolverine: Origins movie?

I would almost he just disappear into the Hollywood ether rather than get whatever scent of dog shit that movie would have turned into.

Also: I just need to say something that I have been thinking for a long time now because it directly contradicts that Jackman quote above - An R rated comic book Super Hero movie imo will do mother fucking backflips into the cash pool. I'll never understand the attitude some studios/producers/actors have about comics that it's about the kids man! when in reality the largest influx of fandom and money and support these newer marvel movies have been basking in is from fans MY age.. 20s and 30s ... who WERE kids when they were reading the comics but are all muthfuckin grown up now. Shit - even the late 80s and 90s Xmen had blood and some seriously off kilter violence in them.

Give me a comic book movie that walks like a comic book movie, talks like a comic book movie and BLEEDS like a comic book movie and i will throw my mother fuckin wallet at the screen. Deadpool, Wolverine, Hulk, Winter Soldier, Widow, Hawkeye ... seriously ANY of these characters could make a great R rated flick.

But Deadpool would be fucking hilarious while he was at it. That script is tops. 100% aces through and through. AND ... AAAAAAND!!! you get to see Colossus wreck house.

Now i'm angry again. Give these mother fuckers back to Marvel... they want to go home.. they want to be loved.

Fuck you Fox.

From the interviews I've read, the project isn't dead, it's just at a standstill.

Budget and rating seem to be the biggest hurdles the studio has, but the creative and talent both think they have the perfect script and can't execute it any other way.
Until they can get the Studio to budge, or they agree to the changes (and then have studio sign off on them), that where movie sits.

If X-Force hits, and it's more accurate portrayal of Deadpool is well received, then maybe the table for negotiation is reset, but up till this point, the project has been so stagnant, it might as well have been dead.

Having said that, I really hope the positive response to this test footage helps Fox put X-Force on more of a fast track so Deadpool can get a second chance at moving forward with the current script (minus the X-Men Origins reference of course).

strobogo

Banned
Christ sake, if it had made 4 cents they were going to make another Wolverine movie. They're never coughing up that license. It didn't make the money they wanted it to make. Again - Batman & Robin cleared a profit, too. There's making money and then there's MAKING MONEY. They didn't do the latter.

I mean, you're trying to stick up for Origins' viability as a franchise extender when even the most basic analysis shows it took a bat to the X-Men's kneecaps. First Class is not an "origins" movie. Origins was a brand they had in place, ready to go, with Magneto and Storm movies lined up, as well as a possible Deadpool spinoff with Ryan Reynolds should Wolverine have MADE MONEY. And when it didn't, when it faceplanted, Fox canceled the two Origins movies, retreated from Deadpool, and came up with a completely different approach that became "First Class". Then they did the same with The Wolverine. Fox very obviously altered whatever plans they had in place before Origins: Wolverine hit. The money wasn't right. The reception was awful. It was a failure even if it ultimately profited.

Just repeating "but it made double its budget" addresses none of that, and isn't really worth shit as a factoid devoid of the larger context which you keep sidestepping for the sake of... shit, I don't know why you're doing it. It doesn't make any sense.

I mean, try explaining to someone how Wolverine Origins DIDN'T damage the brand in Fox's eyes and see if you can count to 20 before someone looks at you like you stopped speaking English halfway through.

You're welcome. Insider status can be attained by paying attention to things when they happen :)

But yeah, maybe there's a super-slim outside chance online attention causes Fox to spend 30-60 mil on a PG-13 Deadpool movie. I just dont see that happening without there being a larger team-movie to insert the character in first. And again, the character would have to resonate big in whatever that movie is.

Lord knows what the Gambit thing is going to be with Channing Tatum, but maybe Deadpool shows up there. Or maybe there's an X-Force flick somewhere down the line. Either way - it's going to be awhile before Deadpool is a possibility again. Maybe this video raises enough awareness and noise that this 3-years dead project gets fully revived. I mean, it COULD happen. But it probably won't.

God damn you hate that movie. Did you have a date that refused to bone you after going to see it?

That looked like fun. I'd love it just as an animated movie, but even Blur has had trouble with that like with Goon (maybe Marvel backing would help with a Deadpool animation).

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

It's really easy to get into Deadpool right now. Check out the Posehn/Duggan run. It won't take that much time or money to get all caught up, and it's been a great read.

God damn you hate that movie. Did you have a date that refused to bone you after going to see it?

Look at this weak shit. :)

No, I don't "hate that movie." It was just a shitty movie. There's tons of em out there. This one just forced Fox to change a bunch of their plans due to being a failure.

I'm not a big fan of having to explain how obvious that was in triplicate, but I guess I soldiered through that burden like a real champ, somehow.

The fortitude on me. Damn. :)

And yeah, seeing the mocap footage would be fun.

I also just realized I haven't actually given my opinion on the footage: It's great animation from Blur, as always. It's also essentially a pile of so-so non-sequiturs shoved into a riff/reinterpretation of the Singham 8 scene that most Gaffers know as "That Bish Gif"

strobogo

Banned
Look at this weak shit. :)

No, I don't "hate that movie." It was just a shitty movie. There's tons of em out there. This one just forced Fox to change a bunch of their plans due to being a failure.

I'm not a big fan of having to explain how obvious that was in triplicate, but I guess I soldiered through that burden like a real champ, somehow.

The fortitude on me. Damn. :)

And yeah, seeing the mocap footage would be fun.

I also just realized I haven't actually given my opinion on the footage: It's great animation from Blur, as always. It's also essentially a pile of so-so non-sequiturs shoved into a riff/reinterpretation of the Singham 8 scene that most Gaffers know as "That Bish Gif"

It was a legitimate question. It feels like you have some real aggression towards the movie and how terrible it was. In my mind, it had to be either because you paid for it on a date and didn't get to seal the deal because of the movie being so off putting, or you were really looking forward to the Storm movie.

gabbo

It's excellent footage, and really should get the green light at some point. It would be a refreshing take on comic movies.

I'm glad they are going through with it. Since Edgar Wright left Ant Man, I've been waiting for another Marvel movie to be super hyped for. Even if it is from Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom