• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding announced for PC, early summer 2020.

psorcerer

Banned
If it gets downgraded graphically to fit PC it would be hilarious. But if not it will be a major achievement for Sony/Guerilla.

JLMC469

Banned
First reply on IGN's comment section has already killed it with that answer

"I didn't forget. Every time I mentioned it, I was attacked by rabid PS4 fanboys who couldn't stand the thought of it going to PC. " :messenger_fire:

But...but...the Decima Engine is owned by Guerrilla Games a 1st party studio from Sony.

mortal

Gold Member
That makes a lot of sense if engine was developed without a PC port in mind.
If in has ATI-specific code paths, heavy use of GPGPU, pre-compiled command buffers, massively multithreaded job system design, etc. Etc.
Why would it be "downgraded" to fit PC? That makes zero sense. The game is being developed to run on 6 year old hardware specifications. At the very least the port would look just as good and run as as well on most modern gaming PCs.

psorcerer

Banned
Finally we'll get closure on whether or not PS4 is supercharged vs PC of similar specs.

Obviously people who say that are totally clueless about tech.
I mean both sides of this strange argument.
Anyway. If it work nice on PC it would be a major achievement, because actually will mean that Sony makes the best tech even for PC. If it will be downgraded, it's not a big deal, we have seen that in PS2 days a lot.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Anyway. If it work nice on PC it would be a major achievement, because actually will mean that Sony makes the best tech even for PC. If it will be downgraded, it's not a big deal, we have seen that in PS2 days a lot.
Hasn't that been applied to Street Fighter V since it is a PS4 exclusive but also available to PC since you are talking about PS4 and not the engine behind the game?

vpance

It may or may not tell us a lot, depending on the quality of the port I guess.

But out of all the first party Sony engines, Decima is probably #1 if not #2 behind ND's in being fully tuned for PS4. It'll be interesting to see the results.

Last edited:

Barnabot

SF5 is not impressive graphically.

It' should be enough to validate your argument

Otherwise you should stop with this bullshit that a game like Death Stranding could underperform on PC (downgraded graphically ) while it could look better on a PS4.

evanft

Looking forward to playing this at 60 fps with no load times.

Although it'll probably come out right after Cyberpunk or TLOU2, so I probably won't play it for a while, anyways.

I'm not sure if there are any examples of HSA/GPGPU-heavy games getting downgraded on PCs.

Sure, PCs don't have hUMA, but we've seen Demoscene studios like Housemarque porting some of their games (Nex Machina) to PC with zero issues.

Would Resogun not run well on PC for example? I guess we'll never find out.

Lort

Banned
lol not really. Sony isn't publishing this. I don't think this is happening cause Sony wants it to, simply because the price being asked might have been too high for them to consider it. They've tried to buy many IP, studios etc, many times they might pass if the price is just too high.

Look at Insomniac. Sony in the past actually tried to buy them and they were not open to a buy out, Sony tried to buy the Sunset Overdrive IP in order to fund it and Insomniac didn't want to, ultimately Sony bought them when the time was right and both companies agreed. For all we know that might be what happens with Kojima and Sony.

If it is what your saying then after demonstraiting their ability to sell games on other platforms, they will be worth more not less so Sony should have bought them before that.

its interesting how you frame everything as Sony making the correct move .. even when its labeling something an exclusive when it is clearly and definitively not.

MiguelItUp

So has there been any confirmation of launcher officially yet?
Nope, but there were some recent pictures of him at Valve with Gabe. 👀

Edit: Wait, my apologies, those were from October last year. But then again, you never know. Hell, he could've been talking about DS on Steam back then for all we know. 🤷‍♂️ MGS V was on Steam, and I can't help but feel he'll want to hop onto that platform. EGS has been enticing to smaller devs and those more concerned about more, not sure if Kojima is one of those people. But I guess we'll see! :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
It' should be enough to validate your argument

How exactly?
I have already explained how it can underperform and why.
There is also a possibility that DS was developed as multiplatform game from the beginning. That would explain why it looks so underwhelming in amount and quality of animated meshes on screen if compared to HZD. The most of the improvement comes from very nice screen space/pixel effects. But we did not see the full game yet maybe it's not an empty wasteland (easily ported to PCs).

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Good news. Can't say I'm surprised as I expect the games cost a pretty penny to make so going multi-platform makes sense. The big question is whether it will be Steam or EGS.

If PlayStation keep doing this, I'll buy a new Alienware Aurora.... thing looks sweet and I don't like being lied to or them holding back information. If they don't value exclusivity, why should I?

If you want to punish yourself by purchasing Alienware, that's on you.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Welp im guessing i need to avoid Death Stranding threads for 8 months. Ill wanna experience this on PC first

vpance

How exactly?
I have already explained how it can underperform and why.
There is also a possibility that DS was developed as multiplatform game from the beginning. That would explain why it looks so underwhelming in amount and quality of animated meshes on screen if compared to HZD. The most of the improvement comes from very nice screen space/pixel effects. But we did not see the full game yet maybe it's not an empty wasteland (easily ported to PCs).

Seems likely that Kojima wanted PC/PS4 from the jump. But that's no guarantee that he developed two versions in parallel. I wonder how much of an improvement Pro version has over OG. OG might have held him back also..

The empty wastelands IMO are more of an indication of a restriction of resources with a relatively small team. But he made it work to fit the story and gameplay, at least I hope so.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Seems likely that Kojima wanted PC/PS4 from the jump. But that's no guarantee that he developed two versions in parallel. I wonder how much of an improvement Pro version will have.

The empty wastelands IMO are more of an indication of a restriction of resources with a relatively small team. But he made it work to fit the story and gameplay, at least I hope so.

I have refreshed my memory in how Decima was introduced and the timeline of Kojima Prod. split from Konami. And I'm almost certain that they started Developing DS on FoxEngine. That's why Fox's famous Kojima Office scene was recreated in Decima.
It was a port from PC to PS4 the whole time.
Kojima wanted an engine that can reuse their existing assets and Cerny gave him Decima.
That's why it's such a short time exclusive (compare it to RDR2)

The financials about the deals interest me greatly. Off topic.... Like it seems Sony was going to buy Spyro and Crash back. Then it seems Activision saw the internet interest and pulled out. Here is seems Sony did everything to make this as much of a Sony product as they could. Album with Sony RCA Artists, Sony pictures pulled through with big actors, licensed PS4 focused engine, hell i wouldnt be surprised if the game comes bundled with Sony health insurance. I feel they probably did that to make the PC port have thin profits for an outside publisher. Or maybe not. Eh

SS501

Neo Member
Just found out that this was actually announced in 2015 by Sony's Europe community manager through a Q and A on twitter which was then quickly deleted and apparently the guy got fired soon after.
So DS was always planned to come to PC from the start.

Last edited:
Just found out that this was actually announced in 2015 by Sony's Europe community manager through a Q and A on twitter which was then quickly deleted and apparently the guy got fired soon after.

The community manager got layed off years after that because sony europe changed it's structure of the community. They basically closed everything community related. He didn't got fired because of the QA.

He got layed off at July 17.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If it is what your saying then after demonstraiting their ability to sell games on other platforms, they will be worth more not less so Sony should have bought them before that.

Huh? Oooooook. Did you understand what you posted? What I'm saying is Sony likely tried to buy the team and IP, the price was too high, thus the team announced a PC version seeing how they were not going to be bought out, as in....THEM SELLING GAMES ON ANOTHER PLATFORM IS BECAUSE THE DEAL WENT SOUTH!

its interesting how you frame everything as Sony making the correct move

Where did I say anything was a correct move?

SS501 SS501 I think it was planned for PC, but its release on PC was likely hinged on if Sony bought the team or the IP, something tells me the deal went south as Sony likely didn't want to pay what Kojima was asking. I'm doubtful Sony would have made such a deal if it was timed to have it announced BEFORE a PS4 release or something. I think they plan on buying more teams and what Kojima is asking might be a chunk of that budget.

Look at Insomniac, they refused to be bought for years and later a deal came along that they said yes to. This might just be one of those times Sony said no to Kojima.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow.

So the PC info was announced 4 years ago, but got deleted. Never knew that. Don't think many other people knew that either. Considering what a hard on Sony promoted DS for PS4, I think everyone thought it was a locked and loaded PS4 exclusive.

renatyles

Neo Member
Huh? Oooooook. Did you understand what you posted? What I'm saying is Sony likely tried to buy the team and IP, the price was too high, thus the team announced a PC version seeing how they were not going to be bought out, as in....THEM SELLING GAMES ON ANOTHER PLATFORM IS BECAUSE THE DEAL WENT SOUTH!

Where did I say anything was a correct move?

SS501 SS501 I think it was planned for PC, but its release on PC was likely hinged on if Sony bought the team or the IP, something tells me the deal went south as Sony likely didn't want to pay what Kojima was asking. I'm doubtful Sony would have made such a deal if it was timed to have it announced BEFORE a PS4 release or something. I think they plan on buying more teams and what Kojima is asking might be a chunk of that budget.

Look at Insomniac, they refused to be bought for years and later a deal came along that they said yes to. This might just be one of those times Sony said no to Kojima.

Hm??? Sony owns Death Stranding IP, not Kojima. It's 1st Party title much like God of War or Bloodborne. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hm??? Sony owns Death Stranding IP, not Kojima. It's 1st Party title much like God of War or Bloodborne. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Trademark is different then the IP...

Top Bottom