• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding does not have "Only on Playstation" logo. (Gamescom Update: It does)

Geki-D

Banned
I feel like it's worth pointing out that in the past, TC has shown an utter incomprehension of what studios & IPs Sony owns (doesn't know Sony own ND, MM or Santa Monica) so this thread doesn't really surprise me. He also hates Sony. So there's that.
Also:
Medievil don’t have too

Or ghost of tsushima

/Thread. Sony don't use the "Only on Playstation" anymore for any games.

I'm sure Death Stranding is Kojima's IP... the "Created" hints to that too.

He is the owner.
Whilst that maybe the case a lot of people are confusing when Kojima said we wanted the game on PC before he found an engine with when he found one that Sony owns and obviously suddenly stopped talking about a PC version.

Your PC dream is gonna be pretty hard, just sayin'.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sony literally said Last of Us 2, death stranding and Ghost of Tsushima were first party titles on E3
They said "first on Playstation" at reveal for Death Stranding... there is even two interviews with Andrewn and Kojima that they confirmed that.

Death Stranding is timed-exclusive for PlayStation that was clear since reveal (2015)... it had no double about that.

Last edited:

demigod

They said "first on Playstation" at reveal for Death Stranding... there is even two interviews with Andrewn and Kojima that they confirmed that.

Death Stranding is timed-exclusive for PlayStation that was clear since reveal (2015)... it had no double about that.

Maybe it'll be released for PC, who knows. It certainly won't release on Xbox since its using the Decima Engine.

scalman

yes its not official game reveal trailer or smt its just release date reveal trailer why it must have that logo? it will come eventually on PC i guess which is best news .
no matter how you look at it , it will be only on playstation. deal with it

Last edited:

manfestival

I dont believe exclusives are real things anymore unless done by 1st party or under partially by another brand that Sony has exclusive rights on(spiderman).

OP is lowkey thirsty for some Kojima-ass in the form of Death Stranding :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_winking_tongue:

In all seriousness though, wasn't a PC version of Death Stranding always on the table? There's definitely not going to be an Xbox version (thank god), but a PC version within a year or two is not out of the question.

NahaNago

I always thought this was coming to pc. I always figure these days unless it is made by Sony then it is probably coming to pc someday (except for Spiderman).

Gamernyc78

Banned
sony buys a studio lmao? have you seen how safe Shawn Layden plays out the game? he will not do that. they will most definitely not acquire shit because they are not upto the task.

also they own the IP. so its not like thats the reason why. they owned the IP to QD games. and they are on PC.

You act like Sony wasn't buying studios before Microsoft decided to follow suite because they've been getting their ass kicked lol Stop the bs bro. Not saying they'll buy Kojima but stop the nonsense lol

Last edited:
sony buys a studio lmao? have you seen how safe Shawn Layden plays out the game? he will not do that. they will most definitely not acquire shit because they are not upto the task.

also they own the IP. so its not like thats the reason why. they owned the IP to QD games. and they are on PC.

"up to the task" what does that even mean?!? "lmao" i don't understand this tone LOL Wasn't there a thread here, very recently, with a quote from someone at Sony stating they plan on "expanding" some current teams and possibly purchasing a few studios.

Holammer

Sony should release Playstation Store for PC already. 90-95% (a very scientific estimate) of all the titles on PS4 already have PC versions anyway.
They would reach a lot of peeps that don't care for another console or crazy persons like meself that only bought one for Bloodborne.

Ryu_Joestar

Sony should release Playstation Store for PC already. 90-95% (a very scientific estimate) of all the titles on PS4 already have PC versions anyway.
They would reach a lot of peeps that don't care for another console or crazy persons like meself that only bought one for Bloodborne.
And what's the point of buying a console anymore if the exclusives are available on PC? The last console that did that it's not in a good shape, compared to PS4 or Switch

Last edited:

Holammer

And what's the point of buying a console anymore if the exclusives are available on PC? The last console that did that it's not in a good shape, compared to PS4 or Switch

I doubt people will flip their 300$ consoles in the trash and get "2000$" PCs if they did. They reach a new audience that is used to digital distribution and they don't make the big bucks on hardware anyway.

Orenji Neko

If the game is good, and it comes out on PC, I'll definitely look into getting it. Kojima's team is very, very good at PC work as shown by Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. Those games look fantastic, have great additional effects, and run like smooth as butter (even on modest machines) thanks to some great optimization. I'd have no reservations about supporting that.

Last edited:

Fahdis

These are not Sony IP.

Sony IP is when Sony hold or have the license for the IP... Demon's Souls, Spider-man, Bloodborne, etc... are Sony IPs... the devs needs Sony approval do use that name.

Flower, Journey, Dead Stranding (?), etc are 3rd-party IPs that have a exclusive deal with Sony... outside that deal/contract the 3rd-party can do what they wants with the name.

Got this straight from Epic Store: Detroit: Become Human™ ©2018-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. “Detroit Become Human” is a trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

What now?

ethomaz

Banned
Got this straight from Epic Store: Detroit: Become Human™ ©2018-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. “Detroit Become Human” is a trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

What now?
Sony and Quantic Dream break the exclusive deal and I'm sure Quantic Dreams holds the intelectual property of the three games and that is why they were launched on PC.

You can say it is a similar case as Destiny.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Sony and Quantic Dream break the exclusive deal and I'm sure Quantic Dreams holds the intelectual property of the three games and that is why they were launched on PC.

You can say it is a similar case as Destiny.

That really doesn't make sense.
It was published and trademarked by Sony.
Developed by QD.

I'm sure they are testing the PC side at this point in time, in case PSNOW doesn't work out next gen.

molasar

Banned
Hypothetically speaking if Death Stranding comes to PC, what engine Kojima Productions is going to use?
It will be interesting to see a Decima engine evolving into two versions if KP has a right to source code. One version under Guerrilla Games for PS5 and the second one under KP into cross platform built similar to Fox Engine.
I would prefer them to start working on another IP and just outsource ports instead.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That really doesn't make sense.
It was published and trademarked by Sony.
Developed by QD.

I'm sure they are testing the PC side at this point in time, in case PSNOW doesn't work out next gen.
Sony is not publshing it on PC lol

They are self-publishing.
"The most important evolution for Quantic Dream, however, is that we are no longer a developer working with a publisher. Starting with the PC versions of Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human, we will be self-publishing all our titles. "

QD was happy to not need a publisher to release their games on PC.

You can read more here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/...c-pc-store-detroit-beyond-heavy-rain-gdc-2019

It is a move that David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière were trying for 13 year and finally they had the change to make it a real.

It is clear, from the PC releases, that they own all their IPs and they self-publish them.

Last edited:

kyoji

See.. this is why I own a playstation.
I never have to be worried or concerned (like pc "master race" 😉) plebs or other consoles if I will be able to play a game that I want. ill be playing Death stranding day 1.... exclusive to ps4/5 or not. No waiting, hoping, and or guessing months or years down the line for a port.

Fahdis

Sony is not publshing it on PC lol

They are self-publishing.
"The most important evolution for Quantic Dream, however, is that we are no longer a developer working with a publisher. Starting with the PC versions of Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human, we will be self-publishing all our titles. "

QD was happy to not need a publisher to release their games on PC.

Did I say Sony IS publishing? I said it WAS published by.
Either way, Sony still owns the IP. They can self publish but they can't sell the IP without Sony's permission.

trademark/ˈtreɪdmɑːk/
a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.

I never have to be worried or concerned (like pc "master race" 😉) plebs or other consoles if I will be able to play a game that I want. ill be playing Death stranding day 1.... exclusive to ps4/5 or not. No waiting, hoping, and or guessing months or years down the line for a port.

What if you own both "pleb"?

ethomaz

Banned
Did I say Sony IS publishing? I said it WAS published by.
Either way, Sony still owns the IP. They can self publish but they can't sell the IP without Sony's permission.
That makes no sense... they says in their interview that they can self-publish all their titles... that means they own their IPs from now.
Of course Sony could have a deal and hold the publishing rights of the PlayStation versions... so they can relaunch them for PS5 or something like.
And I believe Sony only accept that with another contract saying they can't publish on Xbox platforms.

But QD is independent... they can do what they want with their titles... they own their games.

Last edited:

Fahdis

That makes no sense... they says in their interview that they can self-publish all their titles... that means they own their IPs from now.
Of course Sony could have a deal and hold the publishing rights of the PlayStation versions... so they can relaunch them for PS5 or something like.
And I believe Sony only accept that with another contract saying they can't publish on Xbox platforms.

But QD is independent... they can do what they want with their titles... they own their games.

The cannot own the IP when something like this shows up: “Detroit Become Human” is a trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe".
It states it clearly, otherwise, there was no legal requirement for it to be there.
You are partially correct that they can self-publish but with an exclusive contract on the PC Storefront with SIE.
QD has always been independent as a 3rd Party.

ethomaz

Banned
The cannot own the IP when something like this shows up: “Detroit Become Human” is a trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe".
It states it clearly, otherwise, there was no legal requirement for it to be there.
You are partially correct that they can self-publish but with an exclusive contract on the PC Storefront with SIE.
QD has always been independent as a 3rd Party.
That is not what they told in the interview.

They said they had to use a Publisher (Sony) for these 13 years and now they are finally free from Publishers.
So they were not independent from Publisher.
Now they are.

I still believes they own all their IPs now like the interview hints at... just that the last registered trademark was done by Sony so the next one will be by Quantic Dream.

BTW Heavy Rain is already in the name of Quantic Dream.

Last edited:
is this an oversight too?
26NLMpq.png

Thread = Destroyed

demigod

Check Flower on Steam, it’s not published by Sony but they own the IP.

spawn

It could possibly end up on PC. I believe Sony is funding the game and they're using the Horizon engine built by Guerrilla games which is sony owned so I doubt it ends up on Xbox

Orenji Neko

I have a million reasons (outnumbering Playstation, Xbox, exclusives) to not own nor spend any money on a Playstation. Actual PC Master Race members don't hope, wait, or guess for games as we have more than enough, but we'll gladly support any good games that cross over. If not then nothing gained, but certainly nothing lost.

Top Bottom