• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

K.N.W.

Thinking about picking this up later this month.

Worth it? I’m perfectly happy with slow-paced atmospheric games, and losing myself in virtual worlds. I’m open to the surreal and the cerebral. Bland repetition isn’t really my thing.

Thoughts?
Then it might be the perfect game for you. You'll have have to mind every step, rock, ceiling rock, slope, terrain confromation, nap, full sleep, "toilet" stop, weather condition, mountain, river, and how all of those affect your health condition, cargo and baby (which you'll have to cuddle),. Please mind that if you aim for 100% before completing the story then it's reallly slow (a bit too much for me), but for you the level of immersion might be incredible. You should get it ASAP, to get as many players as possible for online interactions. I still have to get platinum, we can help each other if you want :) And do yourself a favour, once you have watched all the delivery, recycle , and garage cutscenes enough, skip them.

..... About surreality, well, you won't be disappointed, and even more if you have a HDR display.

Now that the newness is behind us, what’s the real consensus on this game? Is it awesome? Are people forgetting about it? Is it something you keep going back to? Has your grade for this game gone down or up since launch?

Keep going back myself, always seem to have a delivery itch to scratch :messenger_grinning_sweat: For me it's probably one of the best games of the entire generation, really clicked with me in a way I wasn't expecting, but I can see why it could potentially turn people off too. It's a sombre & lonely experience

Aion002

Now that the newness is behind us, what’s the real consensus on this game? Is it awesome? Are people forgetting about it? Is it something you keep going back to? Has your grade for this game gone down or up since launch?
I liked a lot... I still didn't finished. 65 hours played so far. But I've been playing slowly from time to time and while, it does have some big flaws, at the same time it's so unique and fun that for me it is an amazing game.

I think most of the low score reviews were disingenuous, this game is not for everybody and that is fine, but giving a 4 or a 3 out of 10, it's just really weird.

The game is not broken, like a Bethesda game ffs...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I loved the game and still think about it fairly often. I'll definitely be picking up the PC version once that's out and going through it all over again.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The consensus is the same as it as before. It's a good game, but you have to have the patience to play it. More people will see once it's out on PC.

Grinchy

Banned
I may go back one day and grind out some more deliveries, but I can't say I'm overly excited to experience the story again. It had hits and misses, but was overall a bit of a whiff for me. It ended strongly, I'll give it that.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I liked a lot... I still didn't finished. 65 hours played so far. But I've been playing slowly from time to time and while, it does have some big flaws, at the same time it's so unique and fun that for me it is an amazing game.

I think most of the low score reviews were disingenuous, this game is not for everybody and that is fine, but giving a 4 or a 3 out of 10, it's just really weird.

The game is not broken, like a Bethesda game ffs...
Not broken but far from perfect

GHG

test-gif-size.gif

Bugs weren't cited as a reason most of the lower scores were given.

MiguelItUp

I bet this is one of those 1/10 bugs, unless it's something that popped up with a new update. I haven't touched it since I've completed it, which was before a good number of updates. Could've been an issue that came with one of those. I'm assuming so considering how much time I put in the game and never saw anything that was a critical A/B bug.

And as I replied, I didn’t say they were. I see very defensive people.
Can't blame those defending a game they enjoyed. It got a ton of unnecessary (IMO) negativity, and majority of the time it was pretty toxic. But all in all, no game is perfect, bugs always exist. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I just want to reiterate that I was extremely disappointed that this game sets up a very cool journey, repeatedly, and then according to my research, does not actually take you there. It was the only reason I was keeping the game, to see that happen, and I guess it never does. The Kojima Productions intro video hints at it too, and the entire design of the game to me just feels like it was made with this idea in mind but they don't go there.

Last edited:

Aion002

And as I replied, I didn’t say they were. I see very defensive people.
Well, I am just saying that, probably, there is not even one glitches free triple A game...

Heck... Even extremely polished linear games like Resident Evil 2 Remake have glitches... So a open world game having glitches it's absolutely normal. Just that.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I bet this is one of those 1/10 bugs, unless it's something that popped up with a new update. I haven't touched it since I've completed it, which was before a good number of updates. Could've been an issue that came with one of those. I'm assuming so considering how much time I put in the game and never saw anything that was a critical A/B bug.

Can't blame those defending a game they enjoyed. It got a ton of unnecessary (IMO) negativity, and majority of the time it was pretty toxic. But all in all, no game is perfect, bugs always exist. 🤷‍♂️
But I can blame them for turning something as harmless as a video Into an argument I didn’t make.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Well, I am just saying that, probably, there is not even one glitches free triple A game...

Heck... Even extremely polished linear games like Resident Evil 2 Remake have glitches... So a open world game having glitches it's absolutely normal. Just that.
All open world games have glitches. There’s nothing a disagree with here.

GHG

Why does it make you so angry?

I'm not, in the slightest. But you've just made your motive clear as day there, you came in here to antagonise.

Nobody called the game perfect, just that it's not a buggy POS like one of Bethesda's recent releases (like fallout 76 for example). You couldn't contain yourself and decided to post some obscure bug.

We've since established that obscure bugs are features of all games which you agree with. So, again, what was the point of you posting that video in the first place? Do you always find obscure bugs to post when discussing games here?

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm not, in the slightest. But you've just made your motive clear as day there, you came in here to antagonise.

Nobody called the game perfect, just that it's not a buggy POS like one of Bethesda's recent releases (like fallout 76 for example). You couldn't contain yourself and decided to post some obscure bug.

We've since established that obscure bugs are features of all games which you agree with. So, again, what was the point of you posting that video in the first place? Do you always find obscure bugs to post when discussing games here?
Partly true. I couldn’t hold myself back linking a video I find myself chuckling at. I saw Bethesda. I saw bugs. I was in a Death Stranding thread. It was all coming together. My motive was to find similar minded people and this video was a litmus test for that. Together, I believed we could start a discord and expand our operations. It would start off small, enough to build the others’ confidence. Slowly but surely, thinking as one organism, we would infiltrate other Death Stranding threads and cause chaos. I’m thinking about, maybe, movie nights on Mondays after work. Wednesdays work too. Right slab in the middle of the week. Helps boost morale. But come that Thursday, oh boy, it’s back to antagonizIng those with ripe hearts and shaky dreams.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

But I can blame them for turning something as harmless as a video Into an argument I didn’t make.
I suppose so. But you can't really blame anyone for not seeing the point of the post. Didn't feel very constructive. 🤷‍♂️

It was essentially a, "Hey look, an A/B bug exists in this game!" to which one would respond, "Yup, that's pretty common. Especially in an open world game." Quite the conversation, lmao.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I suppose so. But you can't really blame anyone for not seeing the point of the post. Didn't feel very constructive. 🤷‍♂️

It was essentially a, "Hey look, an A/B bug exists in this game!" to which one would respond, "Yup, that's pretty common. Especially in an open world game." Quite the conversation, lmao.
So instead of just asking me,”what are your thoughts on Death Stranding, cause your video suggests _____”, we’re trying to decipher its meaning by pinning shit onto it?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Partly true. I couldn’t hold myself back linking a video I find myself chuckling at. I saw Bethesda. I saw bugs. I was in a Death Stranding thread. It was all coming together. My motive was to find similar minded people and this video was a litmus test for that. Together, I believed we could start a discord and expand our operations. It would start off small, enough to build the others’ confidence. Slowly but surely, thinking as one organism, we would infiltrate other Death Stranding threads and cause chaos. I’m thinking about, maybe, movie nights on Mondays after work. Wednesdays work too. Right slab in the middle of the week. Helps boost morale. But come that Thursday, oh boy, it’s back to antagonizIng those with ripe hearts and shaky dreams.

try harder lmfao

MiguelItUp

So instead of just asking me,”what are your thoughts on Death Stranding, cause your video suggests _____”, we’re trying to decipher its meaning by pinning shit onto it?
I mean, it'd be much more appealing to see someone make a post giving their thoughts about it outright. Rather than posting a hurr durr video and expecting others to interpret it some special way. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not angry or salty at all, I didn't really think anyone else was either. So, I'm unsure where the "anger" and "shit pinning" comes from. This is a forum where conversations are held, not bizarre puzzles where we have to interpret a meaning behind random video or gif posts. Well, and if someone enters a conversation by posting a video or gif with no real context, it doesn't really look like they have anything constructive to say. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

ethomaz

Banned
One of the best games of my gaming life.
Better than anything I played this generation.

Chapter 14... loved everything until now.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I mean, it'd be much more appealing to see someone make a post giving their thoughts about it outright. Rather than posting a hurr durr video and expecting others to interpret it some special way. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not angry or salty at all, I didn't really think anyone else was either. So, I'm unsure where the "anger" and "shit pinning" comes from. This is a forum where conversations are held, not bizarre puzzles where we have to interpret a meaning behind random video or gif posts. Well, and if someone enters a conversation by posting a video or gif with no real context, it doesn't really look like they have anything constructive to say. 🤷‍♂️
I asked GHG if he was angry, I didn’t ask you. I didn’t think you were angry. So let’s not assume my one post to GHG was a reply to all, k?
There was context. Bugs. Bethesda. Battlestar Galactica. If we were in a Rondo of Blood thread...

MiguelItUp

I asked GHG if he was angry, I didn’t ask you. I didn’t think you were angry. So let’s not assume my one post to GHG was a reply to all, k?
You're correct, that wasn't directed toward me, my bad. But I did follow that up saying I didn't really think anyone else was either.

There was context. Bugs. Bethesda. Battlestar Galactica. If we were in a Rondo of Blood thread...

8b73b8ac13775c5a3e6479b421263268.gif

The Snake

I still think about it from time to time. And I occasionally have the urge to simply play it, in the way you might get the urge to fire up Tetris or another classic. Something about the gameplay really revs my endorphins.

FranXico

What are your thoughts on Death Stranding, because your video suggests that you're trolling.

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.

Game was just ok. Nothing special, just a walking simulator. Will probably never go back again!

KOMANI

KOMANI
What are your thoughts on Death Stranding, because your video suggests that you're trolling.
The fourth wall breaking is some of the most condescending meta of any game. The driving is the worst of any game I’ve played. My vehicle once flew vertically 20ft up in the air after driving into a rock the size of toddler shoes as I was going 5 mph. There are trollish rocks that let you know you can climb on, only for you to get on said rock, and fall 10 meters backwards.

The writing is bad (but I can’t speak on the emails). Coming off Evangelion, the story did nothing for me. Diehard Man’s last scene was absurdly overacted. A guy walks down the hall, says wassup, and you break down crying?You’re constantly skipping the same 3 cutscenes every time you exit a safe house.
The ending... so I shall sit here for x amount of time to get up and sit back down again for x amount of time while Lindsey Wagner plays duck duck goose and dumps all this exposition on me while looking offscreen?
There shouldn’t have been any TPS. It doesn’t feel polished, and at many times, cumbersome and not responsive. Honestly, it’s a stronger game without it.

Not a fan of Low Roar. Especially when I hear 2 bars of music get interrupted by BTs only for the song to return at an odd time. Great sound effects.

Death Stranding could have been a very polished AA game but instead is a bloated, unpolished, overly produced AAA game. It reminds me of MGS4 in a lot of ways, but unlike MGS4, the game design and philosophy are top notch here. Mads and Norman are great in their roles.

There are a few other things I did not like but they have since been patched. It feels like a game by someone who doesn’t play games, and I mean that as a backhanded compliment. It’s also made by veteran artists and fresh programmers and it shows. I’m glad it was made, and I mean that in the most sincere way possible.

I did not like Red Dead 2 either. And played a third of GOW and said,”Alright, I got it.” (To give you an indication of how out of touch I am with today’s games)

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I haven't forgotten about it, and I doubt I ever will. I haven't gone back to it (which is more of a personal thing, once I finish a campaign, that's usually it for me unless there are other modes), but I still plan on double dipping on PC.

I really enjoyed it, and will gladly say it's still one of my favorite games in awhile. As everyone knows, it's certainly not for everyone. But I standby thinking what it did was a breath of fresh air, and in some situations pretty bold, ballsy, and risk taking. Especially for a AAA title. I mean, so many games in the AAA market nowadays are practically the same experience, and this one was not. Of course some influences existed, but I'm talking about the entire product.

Loved the story, loved the characters, the varied gameplay, and I adored the soundtrack. :messenger_ok:

Karma Jawa

Then it might be the perfect game for you. You'll have have to mind every step, rock, ceiling rock, slope, terrain confromation, nap, full sleep, "toilet" stop, weather condition, mountain, river, and how all of those affect your health condition, cargo and baby (which you'll have to cuddle),. Please mind that if you aim for 100% before completing the story then it's reallly slow (a bit too much for me), but for you the level of immersion might be incredible. You should get it ASAP, to get as many players as possible for online interactions. I still have to get platinum, we can help each other if you want :) And do yourself a favour, once you have watched all the delivery, recycle , and garage cutscenes enough, skip them.

..... About surreality, well, you won't be disappointed, and even more if you have a HDR display.

Finally picked it up.

Currently working my way through AC: Odyssey which is a bit of a slog at times but still enjoyable. Most of that game seems to be pointless fetch quests, so I thought I might as well play a fetch quest game where the journey actually matters. Plus I feel in the right frame of mind for something a bit more ponderous and thoughtful.

I’ll probably follow this up with Spider-Man as an antidote.

Top Bottom