• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2013 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes January 13

BTW, looking at December only is pretty meaningless, I'd much rather know the total amount of PS4s and Xbones sold in North America.

We know Nov numbers so will know up until the first week of January or whenever Dec NPD will cut off

Edit: I'm dumb US =/= North America. Feel free to mock me

Xbox PR said:
Together, Xbox One and Xbox 360 held 46 percent of the hardware market share in the U.S. and showed a 10 percent year over year growth from December 2012.

so extrapolating here means Wii U>270k at a minimum (if PS4 and PS3 matched XB1/360 which LOL), but I'm sure everyone expected at least that much

Moofers

I have to wonder if their 2.9 attach rate includes Killer Instinct downloads. They are referring to the Jago version of the game as if it were a free version and not a demo.

ethomaz

Banned
Brazil and Australia mate
My country three hours ago... PS4 Sold Out... Fnac Morumbi.

zkvuCIc.jpg

0cNWASa.jpg

AngryMoth

Reasonable but much more than I expected from outside of the US. I was expecting over 1 millione for the Xbone in the US.
I meant their 3 million announcement was reasonable, some people thought they were exaggerating.

I think they'll be satisfied with 900k given the high price point. Will be very interesting to see the drop off next month.

It's hilarious how anti Xbox Gaf is.

Do you think not everyone being as enthused as you are about XB1 could possibly have something to do with the bad taste still in folks' mouths from how rediculously anti-consumer MS was most of last year with their original DRM plans before they did their 180 and maybe also because MS still wants $100 more than PS4 for a machine with lower specs?

360 was my second console last gen, this time it will definitely be a PS4.

Moofers

I highly doubt they count the free version.

Where do they refer to the Jago version at all?

There's no mention of it in the little news bits you're seeing today, but they've been referring to the Jago version as if people who downloaded it were getting a "free game" and not a demo. They have done this many times. I wouldn't put it past them to include downloads of the free version with their numbers for paid versions and lump the whole works into their attach rate figures.

rokkerkory

I meant their 3 million announcement was reasonable, some people thought they were exaggerating.

I think they'll be satisfied with 900k given the high price point. Will be very interesting to see the drop off next month.

Drop off for both (X1 and PS4) will be big but for different reasons I bet.

PS4: supply constraints
X1: demand constraints

komplanen

false, trust me I would know

Says so right in the TOS so that's kinda odd and a dude I know got banned recently for life just because he was a junior and said something dumb. Or maybe they've changed it recently.

Anyhow that's besides the point. I'm a little happy about the X1 numbers though they could have been better since the supply never ran out. Still a very positive number. Hope they keep it up.

so extrapolating here means Wii U>270k at a minimum (if PS4 and PS3 matched XB1/360 which LOL), but I'm sure everyone expected at least that much

I don't know how you are extrapolating this but remaining 54% are shared among PS3, PS4, Wii U and Wii so i don't see any way to make such assumptions.

I don't know how you are extrapolating this but remaining 54% are shared among PS3, PS4, Wii U and Wii so i don't see any way to make such assumptions.

ignoring Wii and setting PS3+PS4=Xbox family gives ~270k
obviously it's gonna be more than that though because there's no way PS3 is anywhere near 360 and Wii is insignificant

edit: well it's over 460k, lol we all missed

Gestault

I don't think anyone with a head on their shoulders denies the PS4 being supply constrained, and that being basically the only reason for the XB1 selling in higher numbers in December, but can we stop this pattern of posting images of stores with XB1s in stock? Posting pictures of 3DS systems being in stock everywhere doesn't prove that the 3DS is selling poorly. An item being in stock should be *normal.*

sully1311

Banned
Commenting on the sales, Dan Race, senior director of corporate communications for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, said, “PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the U.S. since the launch on November 15. We sold every PS4 available at retail in the U.S. and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand. With more than 4.2 million PS4 systems sold worldwide, it’s clear that the PS4’s gaming and entertainment features are resonating with large audiences and we’re doing our best to provide additional inventory in all of the 53 countries where it’s available.”

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The news that everybody's anticipating is how the Wii U fared this month.

To be clear:

Wii U sold 223K last month. It managed 463K last December, but that was because it was a launch month.

Nintendo's past Decembers with the Wii:

2006 - 604K
2007 - 1350K
2008 - 2150K
2009 - 3810K
2010 - 2355K
2011 - 1060K
2012 - 472K

Nintendo's past Decembers with the GameCube:

2001 - 573K
2002 - 590K
2003 - 1158K
2004 - 796K
2005 - 606K

Anything below 500K would be bad for the console.

Anything below 400K would be horrible for the console.

Anything below 300K...I don't want to even go there.

Didn't the PS3 go under 500k in December 2008 or something? Just out of curiosity.

donny2112

Waiting on a more definitive public number for 3DS. With the Nintendo Q3 briefing in ~10 days, will wait to see if something comes out of that. That's the only one left to get. :)

Road

Waiting on a more definitive public number for 3DS. With the Nintendo Q3 briefing in ~10 days, will wait to see if something comes out of that. That's the only one left to get. :)

Not a single sales chart.

Nintendo only isn't doing the combining shit Sony is doing with Wii U + Wii sales because they're both dead; 0 + 0 = 0.

End of an era.

Time to go out and improve my quality of life.

Bruno MB

Nintendo only isn't doing the combining shit Sony is doing with Wii U + Wii sales because they're both dead; 0 + 0 = 0.

End of an era.

Time to go out and improve my quality of life.

Things will be even worse if PS4 starts outselling Xbox One in the US since Sony no longer releases public figures, bye bye to NPD prediction threads :(

donny2112

No numbers, then. :( At least we have results! :)

Since not all the results are public, no numerical results are shown here. Also, rankings are just a counter, so if two people are tied, it isn't shown here.

NeoGAF Prediction Results - December 2013

Units

1. WinterDemons
2. Anth0ny
3. skedar897
4. NateDrake
5. 1st Course
6. Brew124
7. metalslimer
8. Goldmund
9. astrogamer
10. BlackJace
11. jayu26
12. Gbpackers31
13. GAF_Agg
14. Javier
15. ZhugeEX
16. Asd202
17. DaBoss
18. GhaleonEB
19. Griss
20. bEAST1N_G
21. Sifl
22. allan-bh
23. Dynopia
24. Road
25. vinnygambini
26. Gianni Merryman
27. andy_lhc
28. Maxxan
29. TheRealTalker
30. michaelius
31. oxalicwave
32. jvm
33. Radec
34. Chobel
35. Aquamarine
36. MasterSheen
37. Lexxus
38. DrWong
39. Tratorn
40. LunaticHigh
41. dakun
42. Skeff
43. Vibranium
44. gtj1092
45. bakman21
46. opticalmace
47. Graphics Horse
48. Jallopy
49. Pachter
50. Randolph Freelander
51. Pound_lb003
52. GrayDock
53. Jamix012
54. SwiftDeath
55. kswiston
56. archnemesis
57. prag16
58. suppadoopa
59. Minions
60. Shaanyboi
61. Canis lupus
62. AngryMoth
63. Foshy
64. Kimawolf
65. mejin
66. Bruno MB
67. daegan
68. donny2112
69. borghe
70. perfectchaos007
71. Ombala
72. Notrollious
73. Brakara
74. ZOONAMI
75. confuziz
76. BlackBuzzard
77. HalfBaked
78. Zero-Crescent
79. Andodalf
80. Jonsoncao
81. Megadragon15
82. Dedication Through Light
83. I-hate-u
84. shinra-bansho
85. Elios83
86. gkryhewy
87. Baki
88. Mass Effect
89. Zachi
90. CorporateClown
91. Dark_AnNiaLatOr
92. Ty4on
93. mijuku
94. Apophis2036
95. babyghost853
96. dolemite
97. sjagolinzer
98. toddhunter
99. beast786
100. Madao
101. Tagg9
102. Rhaknar
103. Thunder Monkey
104. teh_pwn

December 2013                   Overall 2013 Top (10/12)
01.  WinterDemons           ---.--   donny2112              ---.--
02.  Anth0ny                ---.--   doicare                ---.--
03.  skedar897              ---.--   Road                   ---.--
04.  NateDrake              ---.--   MasterSheen            ---.--
05.  Brew124                ---.--   allan-bh               ---.--
06.  1st Course             ---.--   Goldmund               ---.--
07.  MasterSheen            ---.--   DaBoss                 ---.--
08.  Goldmund               ---.--   Bruno MB               ---.--
09.  Gianni Merryman        ---.--   confuziz               ---.--
10.  metalslimer            ---.--   Jonsoncao              ---.--
11.  Javier                 ---.--   jvm                    ---.--
12.  GhaleonEB              ---.--   Elios83                ---.--
13.  jayu26                 ---.--   archnemesis            ---.--
14.  astrogamer             ---.--   Megadragon15           ---.--
15.  BlackJace              ---.--   kswiston               ---.--
16.  Asd202                 ---.--   shinra-bansho          ---.--
17.  TheRealTalker          ---.--   andy_lhc               ---.--
18.  Gbpackers31            ---.--   BlackJace              ---.--
19.  ZhugeEX                ---.--   michaelius             ---.--
20.  Road                   ---.--   skedar897              ---.--
21.  DaBoss                 ---.--   Pachter                ---.--
22.  Maxxan                 ---.--   Aquamarine             ---.--
23.  Minions                ---.--   Zero-Crescent          ---.--
24.  Jamix012               ---.--   Brakara                ---.--
25.  michaelius             ---.--   metalslimer            ---.--
26.  Kimawolf               ---.--   DrWong                 ---.--
27.  bEAST1N_G              ---.--   prag16                 ---.--
28.  Griss                  ---.--   pieatorium             ---.--
29.  vinnygambini           ---.--   Gianni Merryman        ---.--
30.  Sifl                   ---.--   CorporateClown         ---.--
31.  allan-bh               ---.--   pitseleh               ---.--
32.  Jallopy                ---.--   idlewild_              ---.--
33.  Dynopia                ---.--   noobie                 ---.--
34.  andy_lhc               ---.--   Hiro_Kunimi_80         ---.--
35.  jvm                    ---.--   ItWasMeantToBe19       ---.--
36.  Pachter                ---.--   Colonel Mustard        ---.--
37.  GrayDock               ---.--   GulAtiCa               ---.--
38.  Chobel                 ---.--   Lexxus                 ---.--
39.  Tratorn                ---.--   perfectchaos007        ---.--
40.  Radec                  ---.--   Madao                  ---.--
41.  BlackBuzzard           ---.--   Hammer24               ---.--
42.  Skeff                  ---.--   Canis lupus            ---.--
43.  Bruno MB               ---.--   Drago                  ---.--
44.  Foshy                  ---.--   NateDrake              ---.--
45.  Pound_lb003            ---.--   Jamix012               ---.--
46.  oxalicwave             ---.--   bakman21               ---.--
47.  DrWong                 ---.--   Roboleon               ---.--
48.  Shaanyboi              ---.--   sacrificengineer       ---.--
49.  prag16                 ---.--   baekshi                ---.--
50.  Lexxus                 ---.--   airmangataosenai       ---.--

Congratulations, WinterDemons for the month and donny2112 for the year! :D

Edit:
:O

I'll take that awesome December outing with so many entries and a middle of the pack year (damn you 3ds most of the year). Here's to a good year of getting actual data

Congrats Donny

jvm

Gamasutra.
Congratulations, donny2112, and of course thank you for carrying on this long-standing GAF tradition. Now, someone do the full-year predictions so we can all go into mourning for our egos.

Also, is there a full-year 2014 prediction thread?

NateDrake

Wow! #4 for the month of Dec. That is the best I have ever done. Hope it carries over to 2014 after finishing 44th in 2013.

donny2112

Now, someone do the full-year predictions so we can all go into mourning for our egos.

Also, is there a full-year 2014 prediction thread?

Forgot about that. Will use the public ~1.1m for 3DS for December for that totaling, and will see if I can get to it this weekend sometime. *gotta remember*

For monthly predictions in 2014, will be dropping Vita from the predictions and planning to move WiU and PS3 (the really low December knocked it out) down to units only. That would leave 3DS, 360, PS4, and XB1 for the point monthly predictions.

How does that sound?

It's a shame we never got precise 3DS numbers, because showing how many units we were off by would have been useful!

Congratulations to the winners! I'm not very good at this whole predicting game, but good job nonetheless. :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Forgot about that. Will use the public ~1.1m for 3DS for December for that totaling, and will see if I can get to it this weekend sometime. *gotta remember*

For monthly predictions in 2014, will be dropping Vita from the predictions and planning to move WiU and PS3 (the really low December knocked it out) down to units only. That would leave 3DS, 360, PS4, and XB1 for the point monthly predictions.

How does that sound?
Approve.

How does that sound?

Agreed. Vita hardware isn't relevant at USA retail anymore...its consistent failure really doesn't make for a fun prediction.

Bruno MB

Congratulations donny2112! and thanks for all the work.

I finished 8th (that's worse than last year where I finished 5th), I had a terrible month of December.

I'm looking forward to this year's prediction, the race between PS4 and Xbox One is going to be fun.

allan-bh

Congratulations donny2112!

I'm happy with my 5th for the year. I was 4th in 2012, but at least remained in top 5. I'll try to reach at least top 3 this year.

It's a shame we never got precise 3DS numbers, because showing how many units we were off by would have been useful!

I had the impression that you know the number.

Lexxism

Cool. I made it to top 38 for the total. Not bad for me XD

Someone has YTD for 2013?

Here.

npd_ytd_20133ys34.png

3DS at 3.8 million is the worst result for the best selling system of each year since at least 2001 (I don't have NPD data before that):

2001 PS2: 6.2m
2002 PS2: 8.4m
2003 GBA: 7.8m
2004 GBA: 7.1m
2005 PS2: 5.5m
2006 NDS: 5.3m
2007 NDS: 8.5m
2008 WII: 10.2m
2009 NDS: 11.2m
2010 NDS: 8.6m
2011 360: 7.3m
2012 360: 5.3m