• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Decrypting the Alt-Right: How to Recognize a Fascist" - by ContraPoints

Top quality video by Contra. Was already aware of the majority of the points, but still, seeing it proposed in such a concise way is heartening, there has to be some centrists or naive liberals capable of learning from this.

Top quality video by Contra. Was already aware of the majority of the points, but still, seeing it proposed in such a concise way is heartening, there has to be some centrists or naive liberals capable of learning from this.

I can't imagine that many centrists as defined in this video (people who are essentially undecided or uninformed about a topic) would actually sit through it. They're naive for a reason.

That said, it was a thorough video.

Forgive me if I overlooked you mention it, but isn't that "ok" hand gesture those fuckers are making a known symbol?

I'd also like to say that while you know how I feel about you personally I really love the occasional post you make, like this one.
Yeah, the OK symbol is pretty well known.
WPHmF9S.gif

I think the popular use of it in Nazi circles was after Trump's use of it in speeches like Contra mentions, and after a 4chan user urged for a campaign to spread it over social media in February 2017.
ok-hand-4chan-troll-684.jpg

It along with milk and the frog emoji were successful. Like Contra points out, the symbols by themselves are innocuous (hence why it works as coded language), but when you know the context of where it's coming from like these Proud Boys or checking someone's twitter account for MAGA and other Nazi tweets, then you can be assured that they're being used as a hate symbol.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
People have self described as classical liberals for quite some time. It's more to do with the curious development of liberal coming to describe just the American left when the traditional sense of the word would describe most of the American political sphere.
Indeed, we need a translator for US to European political terminology. Note, terminology, not parties as the Democrats have a range of people from centre left (Warren etc) to centre right (Yes, Obama's overall policies were centre right on any normalised political spectrum)

US on the left, Europe on the right:

Liberal - Progressive, Left Wing. See the UK Labour party at present, Podemos, Syriza
Centrist - Right Wing, Obsession with hating the left usually a factor here. The Tory Party, Republican party in France, and CDU in Germany are equivalent. All have their climate change sceptical wing too.

Because the US is a 2 party system, the actual Centrist people will be Democrats. There is no equivalent of the Liberal Democrats, for example. Socially progressive, and usually a mixture of economic views but mostly biased towards free markets. Because of that, actual Centrist views are lumped in with "Liberals" and thus, pushing the political spectrum rightwards as the right wing try to claim the centre as theirs.

However, most centrism parties in Europe are firmly anti fascism because of the impact it had here. And while the Lib Dems would gladly tear Corbyn a new one, they would never ever pull the both sides bullshit that US "Centrists" would say.

Nor would they treat dog whistle politics as anything other than what it is.

Nerokis

Finally got around to watching this. ContraPoints continues to be absolutely fantastic.

Besides that, I don't have much to add at the moment, but I feel it's worth bumping this thread either way.

A few weeks ago, I made a FB post about Charlottesville criticizing the White Supremacists and one of my "friends" (more like an acquaintance I knew from high school) bogged me down in like an asinine 20 minute argument that I was wrong to call these guys Nazis because the Nazi Party was defeated in WWII.

My The_Donald-loving coworker posted like 50 things in the team Slack yesterday about the "hidden history of Antarctica" and new "ancient artifacts" that are going to "change race relations forever".

NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS STAHHHP

I'm going to try to convince him that the earth is flat as a pet project

I looked through some tweets/videos of known YouTube centralist, "news" channels and I see a lot of deflection on the role they plan on normalizing white supremacists and making those targeted by hate come off as irrational.

The main argument I'm seeing from this centralist/moderate is "well I get attacked by the Left and the Right so what I am doing is unbiased" with the implication that this person is above the fray of polarized politics.

I think this is the hardest challenge with centralists/moderates; someone being "attacked" by both white supremacists and those harmed by white supremacy will broadcast to thousands and millions of viewers that both sides are the same and that people are attacking them because they are sharing the "truth" and people want them to be silenced.

There also doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement over "both sides" rhetoric that helped spread voter apathy and stupidity.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My The_Donald-loving coworker posted like 50 things in the team Slack yesterday about the "hidden history of Antarctica" and new "ancient artifacts" that are going to "change race relations forever".

NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS STAHHHP

I'm going to try to convince him that the earth is flat as a pet project

Oh my god he sounds insane. Who are the aliens? White people or black people?

And Asians and Native Americans and Latinos are just on the side wondering what the fuck is going on.

Clefargle

I looked through some tweets/videos of known YouTube centralist, "news" channels and I see a lot of deflection on the role they plan on normalizing white supremacists and making those targeted by hate come off as irrational.

The main argument I'm seeing from this centralist/moderate is "well I get attacked by the Left and the Right so what I am doing is unbiased" with the implication that this person is above the fray of polarized politics.

I think this is the hardest challenge with centralists/moderates; someone being "attacked" by both white supremacists and those harmed by white supremacy will broadcast to thousands and millions of viewers that both sides are the same and that people are attacking them because they are sharing the "truth" and people want them to be silenced.

There also doesn't seem to be any acknowledgement over "both sides" rhetoric that helped spread voter apathy and stupidity.

The issue here is that leftist "attacks" are rhetorical, shaming, and criticism based, while Nazi attacks are literal assaults that kill/maim people. Centrists acting like they're being "attacked" by the left are lying or they mean "muh friends and fambly are mad at me for being an enabling shitheel with my online platform". Disgusting and whiny too

Top Bottom