• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive Jazz Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPhys

albumcoverMilesDavesSomeDayPrince.jpg
Someday my princess will come

Thank you for this dose of fire.

I can't scroll through all of this. Just making sure Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and "My Favorite Things" are well represented as some of the greatest Jazz albums ever recorded.

max_505

My apologies in advance for necroing this thread (if that even is a violation).

I'm looking for something similar to Miles Davis' Milestones album. It's the kind of jazz that I like; not too slow but not too wacky fast (like ska-jazz) as well. Bop/hard bop/post-bop or whatever it's called.

thespot84

My apologies in advance for necroing this thread (if that even is a violation).

I'm looking for something similar to Miles Davis' Milestones album. It's the kind of jazz that I like; not too slow but not too wacky fast (like ska-jazz) as well. Bop/hard bop/post-bop or whatever it's called.

do you like a certain instrument?

John Coltrane
Charlie Parker
Dexter Gordon
Dizzy Gillespie
Charles Mingus
Art Blakey
Cannonball Adderley
Bud Powell

Do have any streaming services (spotify, google music, pandora etc?) Just go on there and start a radio station based on milestones, you'll find tons of stuff

edit, start with giant steps probably. it's on the faster end of bop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0Tfng9SP0

max_505

@thespot84: I like saxophone the best, with piano coming in second. I'll take a look into Giant Steps. I listened a bit to Dexter Gordon's Go! and I liked it. Thanks!

@Blargonaut: I love In a Sentimental Mood but it's still a bit too slow for me. But I can see we both like the Ace Attorney series. Fragrance of Dark Coffee is really good. My favorite there would have to be Rise from the Ashes. I'll take a look into your other suggestions, thanks!

Fjordson

@thespot84: I like saxophone the best, with piano coming in second. I'll take a look into Giant Steps. I listened a bit to Dexter Gordon's Go! and I liked it. Thanks!

@Blargonaut: I love In a Sentimental Mood but it's still a bit too slow for me. But I can see we both like the Ace Attorney series. Fragrance of Dark Coffee is really good. My favorite there would have to be Rise from the Ashes. I'll take a look into your other suggestions, thanks!
You like sax? You need Stan "The Sound" Getz in your life. My favourite sax player ever.

Not sure what sort of mood you're looking for though. This album with the Oscar Peterson trio is a classic - http://youtu.be/OO-cS8VKQyY - but may be a bit too fast?

His bossa nova work is essential - http://youtu.be/kO1oB9fgpFc - but maybe that's a bit too languid.

max_505

You like sax? You need Stan "The Sound" Getz in your life. My favourite sax player ever.

Not sure what sort of mood you're looking for though. This album with the Oscar Peterson trio is a classic - http://youtu.be/OO-cS8VKQyY - but may be a bit too fast?

His bossa nova work is essential - http://youtu.be/kO1oB9fgpFc - but maybe that's a bit too languid.

I listen to Stan Getz... but only his Getz/Gilberto album so far, which doesn't really have fast-paced tracks. I'll take a listen to that album with the Oscar Peterson trio, thanks!

Not quite sure what word I'll use to describe the mood I'm looking for, but something like the mood in Art Blakey & the Jazz Messenger's Moanin' (the actual track only, not the album), Cannonball Adderley's Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! (track again), and Miles Davis' Milestones (whole album).

Fjordson

I listen to Stan Getz... but only his Getz/Gilberto album so far, which doesn't really have fast-paced tracks. I'll take a listen to that album with the Oscar Peterson trio, thanks!

Not quite sure what word I'll use to describe the mood I'm looking for, but something like the mood in Art Blakey & the Jazz Messenger's Moanin' (the actual track only, not the album), Cannonball Adderley's Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! (track again), and Miles Davis' Milestones (whole album).
I think you'll enjoy those two albums then.

That Jazz Samba album is especially great. Similar bossa nova style to Getz/Gilberto, but all instrumental and actually slightly more upbeat I think.

The Koln Concert by Keith Jarrett and Heavy Weather by Weather Report. Don't think I've seen those suggested here yet.

May I also suggest some jazz rock/jazz pop? Aja by Steely Dan and The Nightfly by Donald Fagen (lead singer of Steely Dan) are both excellent.

tanooki27

I'm sure it's been been mentioned a bunch already, but Bill Evans Trio rocks for eternity. they've got a ton on spotify - I recommend "the last waltz," recorded at keystone korner a week before Bill's death.

Myriadis

Did a word search and haven't found it, so I think I can recommend this one:
mi0000514988.jpgpartn14u0e.jpg

Alice Coltrane, Pharaoh Sanders - Journey In Satchidananda

I've bought this one a few weeks ago and so far I'm loving it. Fairly mellow spiritual jazz with some free-jazz like improvisations here and strong indian influences. Can't link to a video because it's blocked in Germany but yeah,give it a try.

HiResDes

We don't really have a jazz thread, so I figured I'd just start posting new stuff in here as well...

Absolutely in love with this album, can't seem to pry it away from my daily playlist:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom