• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Anyone else in Japan or a similar timezone like Aus? Would be nice to have a few consistent psn friends to run through with in the evening. Id is worldrevolution.

MrDenny

Damn you guys weren't kidding about the controls. Everytime I use my knife, I expect to move forward, but only the camera angles moves. It feels very weird not being able to run and shoot at the same time. Running with x is a hassle. Your walk/run speed should be determined by the pressure placed on the analog. I couldn't even get pass the first part of the demo because the controls kept confusing me, eventually leaving me dead. These controls feel like shit compared to mgs4. Hopefully capcom can patch the controls.

todahawk

Dave1988 said:
I can confirm this. I've tried on an alternate account and I can invite people and the bug doesn't occur.

EDIT: Did a little culling of the friendlist and I'm at 65 friends now. Demo works perfectly now. I'm assuming the demo screws up if you have more than 70 friends.

good thing I don't have many friends! :lol

Shouta

worldrevolution said:
Anyone else in Japan or a similar timezone like Aus? Would be nice to have a few consistent psn friends to run through with in the evening. Id is worldrevolution.

I am. I'll see about setting up co-op groups based on timezones so we can go through the game together. I know I'm gonna play with my cousin and use voice-chat over our PCs, har.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Snaku said:
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

I've played Shanty Town three times now, and every single fucking time Sheva has been the direct cause of a game over. Once she got too far away from me and I couldn't save her in time. Another time she was dying while fighting the chainsaw guy, and I saved her, but the instant the save animation completed the chainsaw guy cut my head off. And finally she blew up one of the exploding barrels when we were right next to them. And I'm going to have to suffer through 20 hours of this bullshit?! Are we sure it's not a 10 hour game, and that you'll just have to spend an extra 10 hours replaying some of these levels multiple times because of that dumb cow?

I'm totally fucking disgusted at this point. I thoroughly loved what Mikami did with RE4, and I couldn't see how Capcom could have possibly fucked that formula up. But they fucking did it.

Resident Evil 5 is to Resident Evil as Devil May Cry 2 is to Devil May Cry.

I agree with many of your points, but I am willing to try again and buy RE5.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shouta said:
I am. I'll see about setting up co-op groups based on timezones so we can go through the game together. I know I'm gonna play with my cousin and use voice-chat over our PCs, har.
This would be great.

Playing through with someone in Australia who's as big a fan as I am for the first time would be pretty great.

Haunted

Truant said:
Please, Capcom. Make it so you can play the game purely singleplayer if you want.
You mean remove Sheva completely or what? :lol Never going to happen, the new co-op is the game's core feature.

Truant said:
Please, Capcom. Make it so you can play the game purely singleplayer if you want.

From what I've seen of the demo, it appears that Sheva will be a vital part of accessing certain areas of the game. For example, the sniping part. She is also good at distracting the enemies while Chris is running and does come in handy when Chris is in trouble. Looks like you are stuck with her buddy. No divorce for you. :lol

Ok this game is awesome, co-op is orgasmic but does someone know why yesterday the game froze 2 times when loading the in game cinematics ?
I really hope it's not like my launch PS3 is starting to die in my hands :(

Teknoman

For people still having trouble playing the game, I put together a little guide on what and what not to do.

How to play Resident Evil

HD mode is up as well.

And I still dont see how walking and aiming at the same time would improve RE. Maybe some other improvements control wise, but this isnt one of them.

jmdajr

Teknoman said:
For people still having trouble playing the game, I put together a little guide on what and what not to do.

HD mode is up as well.

And I still dont see how walking and aiming at the same time would improve RE. Maybe some other improvements control wise, but this isnt one of them.

reminds me of

lair-20070907112113601.jpg

Teknoman

jmdajr said:
reminds me of

lair-20070907112113601.jpg

That pretty much flew over my head :lol so you might have to explain it.

Even though its not a serious video, it would alleviate people complaining about ammo shortages and not being able to kill everything.

Returners

Teknoman said:
That pretty much flew over my head :lol so you might have to explain it.

Even though its not a serious video, it would alleviate people complaining about ammo shortages and not being able to kill everything.

Long story short: Sony sent out pamphlets on "How to review Lair"

Just played the demo and I liked it.

The game "feels" just like RE4 just with ugraded graphics, different levels and better weapons.
Chris is IMO the more awesome character although Leon isnt bad either.
The partner is good as well.

Im going to have fun with an another Capcom blockbuster.

Cant wait to unlock those ultimate weapons as you remember the Magnum in RE4...oh snap!!!!

How do you beat both levels? Maybe I'm terrible but the bosses fuck me up everytime. On Shanty Town for example, you need a key to proceed through the gate just past the chainsaw guy. Do you have to keep hook-punching the chainsaw dude until he drops the key for example?

I don't even know how to do town assembly. :lol

Zedsdeadbaby said:
How do you beat both levels? Maybe I'm terrible but the bosses fuck me up everytime. On Shanty Town for example, you need a key to proceed through the gate just past the chainsaw guy. Do you have to keep hook-punching the chainsaw dude until he drops the key for example?

I don't even know how to do town assembly. :lol

The range of attack of those bosses is very limited so in most cases you safe your ass by just running past them (doesnt matter if you are close to the boss) just run.

Its easy to look through the KI of the bosses and normal people...once you understand it you can beat those levels pretty easy. Run around gather them all around...throw one grenade...pick up the ammo...shoot tem in the leg...then uppercut or shoot em in the head.

Its pretty simple.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2tAEyUs3fU - I made a video of the second mission which might be of help to people who aren't used to the game. It should also prove that Sheva can actually be very useful, she only did one major mistake in this video (reloading while too close to the chainsaw guy) but no one were damaged because of the mistake since I was able to defend her quickly.

I'm not sure which aiming setting is the best to use. Fastest makes it easy to quickly change between targets, but it also makes it very hard to aim at times (especially when using SMG, or pistol at long range). I think I'll just keep Fast aim setting instead, if I need to quickly aim in a direction I can just use the right analog stick anyway.

MiamiWesker said:
Stay in the house - In public assembly stay inside the house you start off in the entire time. You may not step outside the house, not even to get ammo (though sheeva may run out there, cant do anything about that). At some point I found that nothing happend, like all enemies were dead and the helicopter guy was not coming, if that happens then go outside to end the demo.
That was awesome. I actually messed up the timer, and the mission ended afterall, but fighting the axe guy while being limited to that small area was very very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_xTvaK5HE - I made a video of it too, yay! Pistol is godlike for stunning the axe guy quickly. I think I got too close to the gate after I killed the axe guy, and that's probably what made the mission end as normal.

??? So no run and gun?

I might pass on this... I mean the game has great production values etc, but the controls are terrible... I mean you would think they would learn after the 10th or so game... this series has always controlled atrociously...

Aske

IGN was right about the pathetically weak ground stomp attack, but the game makes up for this by allowing me to make enemies' heads explode with a single punch. Best melee attack since Hunk's neck snap in RE4.

Was playing coop with my brother in law all day - one of the most fun experiences I've had in a while. We were screaming 'RUN FUCKING RUN!' all the time at the chainsaw guy in the shanty town while scrabbling desperately for ammo. Ditto for the Public Assembly level. It's an average game in singleplayer but the coop really makes the game heads and shoulders above a lot of coop oriented games simply because it forces you to cooperate that much more. Love it.

Yagharek

Finally finished the second demo level with the chainsaw wielding gatekeeper. Turned out to be pretty easy after the advice I was given earlier in the thread.

Highly rate the game now, its basically RE4 with a few embellishments and imo, no nned to complain. PArtner AI seemed good in the demo, no stupid actions although she went a bit nuts on ammo during one section.

I dont mind the no run and gun bit, although it gets a bit hectic having to stop to reload or call your partner. You usually have plenty of time though so its not a big issue. Real time inventory managerment will be interesting though. And potentially stressful :lol

TheFatOne said:
I only played about 10 min so far and I realized pretty quickly that the knife is useless.

If you value your bullets, it is very useful.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't understand the hate, this feels like a tarted up RE4. How is that unexpected or bad? It's archaic in movement, but a shitton better than the early REs.

The only thing I disliked was how big a bullet sponge some of the enemies are.

Calcaneus

Finally got around to playing the demo, and I really enjoyed it. I can understand how people probably can't get around the controls or the stationary gunplay though. At first it was a bit uncomfortable for me too, but after a few minutes I got used to it and really started having fun.

I liked both scenarios, at a few points I felt genuine tension (those chainsaw bastards will always get to me). Overall, I guess I'm in the minority that isn't disappointed.

Huggers

PowderedToast said:
This game is so fucking fun in Co-op, when I buy it I'll probably never play it alone.

Agreed. I played this alone and was unimpressed. My bro came home later and we played it together and had a ball. It completely changed my view on it

Shapingo

Chainsaw guy just won't die! I shot him with 3 exploding barrels and 2 grenades and all my ammo. Do you have to punch him when he is stunned?

I don't see why people are complaining about Sheva's AI. The cover mode and offensive mode works fairly well and you can always call he back if you get seperated.

Sidzed2

Rez>You said:
This would be great.

Playing through with someone in Australia who's as big a fan as I am for the first time would be pretty great.

Where in Australia are you located, Rez>You? I'm from the planet Melbourne. I don't know if you'll be playing on PS3 or 360, but hey, if you're on PS3 add my PSN ID (same as my handle) and I'd be more than happy to go co-op on Day 1. I'll even be Sheva if you like.

Speaking of which, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I love Sheva's accent and facial animation. She's very likeable.

Yagharek

Zedsdeadbaby said:
I do wish they'd tone down the roid-freakness of Chris. He looks fucking ridiculous.

I loved the bit in Code Veronica with the hero music playing as chris mutherfukin redfield scales the sheer cliffs at the start of disc 2. He's going to need those biceps if he ends up fighting (speculation here)
wesker - ok, hardly a spoiler
at the end of the game.

Yagharek

Shapingo said:
Chainsaw guy just won't die! I shot him with 3 exploding barrels and 2 grenades and all my ammo. Do you have to punch him when he is stunned?

Yes, a few times (once per stun).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just got a chance to play it. After all this talk of controls, I was open to the possibility that controls have "moved on" over the last few years to the point that RE4-style control would seem dated.

Now that I play the game, I realize that the complaints come from non-fans who want to game to be something it isn't. This is exactly what I expect an RE game to control like, and yes something would be missing if they "updated" the controls. The control hasn't dated one bit.. it just isn't Gears of War and it isn't supposed to be.

Synless

Aske said:
IGN was right about the pathetically weak ground stomp attack, but the game makes up for this by allowing me to make enemies' heads explode with a single punch. Best melee attack since Hunk's neck snap in RE4.
If you stomp their heads it causes instant death and a satisfying crushing of their heads.

Raist

Banned
Teknoman said:

HD mode is up as well.

How come I can't one shot zombies in RE5 when I "shoot 'em in da head" ?

Leon lies

Teknoman

Aske said:

Stomp on the head. So much better.

Raist said:
How come I can't one shot zombies in RE5 when I "shoot 'em in da head" ?

Leon lies

Maybe its a special gun? He had two in the movies. That one always blew up heads while his smaller one took mutliple shots.

Hixx

DarkUSS said:
Are these new?

I can't stop giggling at Chris in the first pic. I really don't like his design :( Looks so different to what I thought was a good design in RE:CV...

Oh well. He doesn't look too bad in-game, at least. Only 30 odd days to go!

Synless

HixxSAFC said:
I can't stop giggling at Chris in the first pic. I really don't like his design :( Looks so different to what I thought was a good design in RE:CV...

Oh well. He doesn't look too bad in-game, at least. Only 30 odd days to go!
He looked like a tool in CV, I'm glad they beefed him up. Now he looks like someone who would be in a special forces type deal.

Top Bottom