• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

Snaku

Banned
Well I finally beat Shanty Town. Sheva didn't do anything crazy this time, or I would have finally given up on it.

Not really looking forward to 20 hours of this frustrating babysitting.

vpance

Settled on Type C controls after playing a bit. Haven't gotten the hang of it yet after not playing RE for a long time but it's manageable in the end. Just need practice. IMO C or D is a must since you get to strafe.. which helps in scanning and clearing rooms.

First playthrough both levels I didnt have much of an issue with Sheva surprisingly. I actually just kind of ignored her and ran about.. seemed too easy actually. I expected chainsaw guy to take my head off once he got near but he never did. I was always able to run away even if he got close.

Is there any way to split ammo? I couldnt figure how to give half of something to her.

Synless

vpance said:
Settled on Type C controls after playing a bit. Haven't gotten the hang of it yet after not playing RE for a long time but it's manageable in the end. Just need practice. IMO C or D is a must since you get to strafe.. which helps in scanning and clearing rooms.

First playthrough both levels I didnt have much of an issue with Sheva surprisingly. I actually just kind of ignored her and ran about.. seemed too easy actually. I expected chainsaw guy to take my head off once he got near but he never did. I was always able to run away even if he got close.

Is there any way to split ammo? I couldnt figure how to give half of something to her.
I would like to know this too. I end up giving some to my partner and they get all of it.

todahawk

Synless said:
He looked like a tool in CV, I'm glad they beefed him up. Now he looks like someone who would be in a special forces type deal.

Chris looks like this psycho I used to work with. Spitting image, just that Chris is taller. When I'm playing as Sheva I'm tempted to pop him a good one.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Am I doing something wrong or is the only way to invite someone on your friends list into an online co-op match is to do it in the 1-2 seconds you have while in the host/join game que?

It's awesome that the game actually uses the in-game xmb invite function but wtf?

How am I doing it wrong etc.

Synless

belvedere said:
Am I doing something wrong or is the only way to invite someone on your friends list into an online co-op match is to do it in the 1-2 seconds you have while in the host/join game que?

It's awesome that the game actually uses the in-game xmb invite function but wtf?

How am I doing it wrong etc.
You have to change the type of invite your doing. When you click online Co-op there is an option at the top of the screen that says something like Everyone or something like that, You need to switch it to friends and then it will wait until a friend comes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How do you actually join a game with friends? I get an invitation from the host but it's just a message through the XMB. I set it to Partner, then join game, and it just says I'm waiting for an invitation even though I've already received it.

EDIT: Figured it out but then my connection crapped out anyway :(

gantz85

Banned
Blood shitty controls.

I've been telling my friend about Dead Space for a long time and we bought it and played beginning yesterday. We downloaded the RE5 demo this morning and the controls were TERRIBLE. Dead Space had far superior controls in terms of playability and mobility. My friend remarked his hesitation in purchasing the game eventually, because the controls really SUCK.

Consider how you remain in turret-lioke mode eve when using your KNIFE. That's ridiculous; after knifing a zombie they stumble back and to attack them consecutively you have to get out of attack mode, move forward, get into attack mode again and knife. Wow.

RE5 should follow the genre leader, Dead Space, and revise its controls.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Varna said:
What do you have to do to get it to work?
Highlight the name of the person that sent the invitation to you on the XMB friend's list, hit Triangle, choose Accept Invitation

Varna

RoboPlato said:
Highlight the name of the person that sent the invitation to you on the XMB friend's list, hit Triangle, choose Accept Invitation

Thank you. This game becomes much more fun with another player.

Is anyone else a little dissapointed with the gore in general? It doesn't seem to pack the same punch as the RE4 animations

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Varna said:
Thank you. This game becomes much more fun with another player.

Is anyone else a little dissapointed with the gore in general? It doesn't seem to pack the same punch as the RE4 animations
I think the demo is based off of the Asian version of the game, which is toned down.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Am I the only person who lost all their hype? I mean with all the racism debate heating up, it seems people are ignoring all the previews that are calling the game, well a dud.

Anyway, a few days ago this was the most hyped game ever in my existence, but now I can safely say, without the shadow of a doubt, that I will not buy it. Ever.

Capcom recreated the formula with RE4. They saved the stagnating genre but they refused to evolve and now they will pay the price. Make the series more modern or you risk losing fans. I know that they just lost one right now.

And I am a guy that bought RE4 four times. 2 GCN copies, 1 PS2 copy and another on the Wii. I loved the game that much.

And now they fucking destroyed it.

Ploid 3.0

I never had hype towards this. Although I was tempted by the RE4 hype. RE went way down for me with CV. RE2 was awesome. After CV I played Devil may cry and never looked back until now. Due to re4 hype, and the crazy hype for RE5 (Shane Kim was the sinker) my interest was peaked. Free demo and I'm back to where I started, but open to renting, and waiting on friends feedback. The next RE should be interesting. Or next DMC!

TheCardPlayer

Meh, DMC sucks now too. Dammit other than Dead Rising, Capcom has only made shite games this gen. Oh well, SF4 is good.

I see some good reviews thus far and people complaining about a control scheme that's a non issue for me after relearning my old RE4 skills.

I'm just fine on the RE5 hype.

Ploid 3.0

I skipped DMC4 also lol. I think they will get back on track eventually. I'm interested in seeing how Bayonetta turns out.

TheCardPlayer

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I see some good reviews thus far and people complaining about a control scheme that's a non issue for me after relearning my old RE4 skills.
The fact that you had to adjust to the control scheme is indicative of a problem is. Resident Evil needs to evolve at this point.

And before someone calls me out, I dislike Gears and I never played Dead Space so it has nothing to do with it.

RE4 saved the franchise. RE5 was suppose to continue the job and make it into something unlike anything we had seen before.

From all the previews I read and the impressions here, it's a clunky mess that tries to do much and fails at all of it.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I skipped DMC4 also lol. I think they will get back on track eventually. I'm interested in seeing how Bayonetta turns out.
Yeah Bayonetta looks awesome.

Man, I'm officially hooked on the game. It didn't take me long to re-adapt to the Type A controls after RE4 Wii and after a few games I learned how to manage Sheva easily. I'm still getting used to the real time inventory management, but I should have that ironed out soon.

Playing co-op with a good partner is so much fun. I had the greatest match ever with a random guy today. We made that chainsaw guy our bitch.

My only real gripes are the framerate issues and that I wish the camera was pulled back a little more. Chris takes up way too much of the screen and items are usually off the bottom of the screen when you get the pick up prompt. I also don't like the way it handles lag, but hopefully when the retail comes out I'll find someone closer to play with.

Pedobear said:
The fact that you had to adjust to the control scheme is indicative of a problem is. Resident Evil needs to evolve at this point.

And before someone calls me out, I dislike Gears and I never played Dead Space so it has nothing to do with it.

RE4 saved the franchise. RE5 was suppose to continue the job and make it into something unlike anything we had seen before.

From all the previews I read and the impressions here, it's a clunky mess that tries to do much and fails at all of it.

People bitched about RE4 controls too and I didn't care and it does continue the job while trying new things for the series. A series doesn't have to keep reinventing itself.

TheCardPlayer

I have a feeling that this game isn't going to sell, be from the controversy or for the suckage factor.

I hope it doesn't kill the franchise dead. Why couldn't Mikami make this one dammit? I know he's left Capcom.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the game now sucks, despite the fact that no one here has played the game through, and despite a handful of (admittedly suspisciously early) reviews saying otherwise and justifying why quite articulatly.

Never change, GAF. :lol

MrOctober

Banned
I thought the demo was really fun. I'm a huge RE4 fan and this juts feels like an updated version with a few tweaks that I like and a few that I don't. But I'm sure I will get used to the things I don't like from the demo and then I'll try to figure out how I ever not liked them.

TheCardPlayer

Rez>You said:
I love how the game now sucks, despite the fact that no one here has played the game through, and despite a handful of (admittedly suspisciously early) reviews saying otherwise and justifying why quite articulatly.

Read the new previews, man. If the game sucks, I won't be in denial for sure, unlike some people.

ashism

As much as I liked dead space, the shooting had nowhere near the same strategy fun that RE4/5 does. Dead space encounters were usually enemy spawns, you walk backward, shoot limbs like mad. Melee gets you killed.

In RE it's just the opposite, you try to stun the opponent and use the melee as an AOE/knockdown while saving ammo. This mechanic right here is way more satisfying than backing up and shooting.

I assume that anyone who hates on the demo after 10 minutes hasn't even tried using melee effectively outside of when it accidentally pops up.

Sure both games have you funneling your shuffling/brisking humanoids down a chokepoint that is to your advantage, but as far as deeper mechanics lie, RE5 kicks massive ass. Adapting to the stress of standing still is half the fun, give it a chance.

If the game is short and has crap level design, it deserves it's punches, but at least wait on it before writing it off because of a short ass demo. How many bad demos for great games exist?

ashism said:
As much as I liked dead space, the shooting had nowhere near the same strategy fun that RE4/5 does. Dead space encounters were usually enemy spawns, you walk backward, shoot limbs like mad. Melee gets you killed.

In RE it's just the opposite, you try to stun the opponent and use the melee as an AOE/knockdown while saving ammo. This mechanic right here is way more satisfying than backing up and shooting.

I assume that anyone who hates on the demo after 10 minutes hasn't even tried using melee effectively outside of when it accidentally pops up.

Sure both games have you funneling your shuffling/brisking humanoids down a chokepoint that is to your advantage, but as far as deeper mechanics lie, RE5 kicks massive ass. Adapting to the stress of standing still is half the fun, give it a chance.

If the game is short and has crap level design, it deserves it's punches, but at least wait on it before writing it off because of a short ass demo. How many bad demos for great games exist?

Ah, yes. The melee. I used the hell out of melee in RE4. There is an obvious risk/reward with melee since it's timed depending on your aim/shot, but it's one of the games biggest mechanic, the rewards are very high when you do it, where as in other games the melee can be used to save ammo, it's tends to be more last resort with higher risk (which in RE falls onto the knife than melee) when your low on ammo while RE4/5 encourages it.

Nikorasu

RE4 was long as hell, especially for an action game, and kept interesting and varied throughout the entire thing. 5 is supposed to be the same length. Why are people jumping to the conclusion that RE5 is 'more of a shooter' than 4 based on 2 short segments? They're not going to put long stretches of map in between the intense set-pieces in a demo. So what if there are more enemies on the screen? RE4 would have been the same way had they the horsepower to pull that off. It only cranks up the intensity that 4 was going for even further.

Public assembly = village, chapter 1
Shanty town = bridge town, chapter 2

pretty much.

Christopher

Pedobear said:
Read the new previews, man. If the game sucks, I won't be in denial for sure, unlike some people.

wow they lose a fan? I'm sure they are so sad. It's your own fault for putting unrealistic hype into the game. When you put your hopes up your only bound to get dissapointed. RE 1, 2, 3 and CV all plaeyd the same, get over it.

If you're not going to buy it fine, but don't bitch about what Capcom's been doing for ages.

As long as I get a great new experience with stellar gameplay I'm satisified. Although I don't realy buy games no more, renting this for sure.

Nikorasu

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Ah, yes. The melee. I used the hell out of melee in RE4. There is an obvious risk/reward with melee since it's timed depending on your aim/shot, but it's one of the games biggest mechanic, the rewards are very high when you do it, where as in other games the melee can be used to save ammo, it's tends to be more last resort with higher risk (which in RE falls onto the knife than melee) when your low on ammo while RE4/5 encourages it.

Yeah. The knife is infinitely more useful in 4/5 than it was in 1-CV. But the impale/stomp attack in 5 does limit it's uses a bit, for the better. It's much faster and more satisfying to stop on a skull than pull out your knife - slowly aim down - slash 4 or 5 times to finish off a downed enemy.

Nikorasu said:
Yeah. The knife is infinitely more useful in 4/5 than it was in 1-CV. But the impale/stomp attack in 5 does limit it's uses a bit, for the better. It's much faster and more satisfying to stop on a skull than pull out your knife - slowly aim down - slash 4 or 5 times to finish off a downed enemy.

Heh, yeah I would slash with the knife like crazy when I downed an enemy in 4 if there wasn't a lot of guys surrounding me, but bless the new ground attacks!

In regards to the old style RE, in Code Veronica, surprisingly I found it so much more 'powerful' than I did the previous one (I didn't even bother with the knifes pre-CV, it wasn't worth it) that it saved he a heck of a lot of ammo. I was a walking armory by the end of the game. Still RE4's knife usefulness surpassed it, but it's nothing like the awesome contextually melees!

Sectus

Pedobear said:
Am I the only person who lost all their hype? I mean with all the racism debate heating up, it seems people are ignoring all the previews that are calling the game, well a dud.

Anyway, a few days ago this was the most hyped game ever in my existence, but now I can safely say, without the shadow of a doubt, that I will not buy it. Ever.

Capcom recreated the formula with RE4. They saved the stagnating genre but they refused to evolve and now they will pay the price. Make the series more modern or you risk losing fans. I know that they just lost one right now.

And I am a guy that bought RE4 four times. 2 GCN copies, 1 PS2 copy and another on the Wii. I loved the game that much.

And now they fucking destroyed it.
Loving RE4 but not RE5 just seems unbelieveable to me. RE4 was great. RE5 is the same as RE4 only better. There's been no other games which plays like RE4 so I definitely don't mind that they re-use the core mechanics at least once more.

I love the animation for the melee attacks. Running up to a guy and kicking him right in the spine or stomping on a downed enemy's chest makes me giggle every time.

Sectus

ThirstyFly said:
I love the animation for the melee attacks. Running up to a guy and kicking him right in the spine or stomping on a downed enemy's chest makes me giggle every time.
Yeah. I especially like Sheva's melee animations. I try to setup the knee and throat slit attacks not because they're effective, but simply because they look so cool.

Sectus said:
Yeah. I especially like Sheva's melee animations. I try to setup the knee and throat slit attacks not because they're effective, but simply because they look so cool.

I haven't done that one yet. I'll have to try it next time I play co-op.

I wish they'd like you pick what character you want to play as instead of making player 1/host always Chris.

Nikorasu

HomerSimpson-Man said:
In regards to the old style RE, in Code Veronica, surprisingly I found it so much more 'powerful' than I did the previous one (I didn't even bother with the knifes pre-CV, it wasn't worth it) that it saved he a heck of a lot of ammo. I was a walking armory by the end of the game. Still RE4's knife usefulness surpassed it, but it's nothing like the awesome contextually melees!

Yeah, it was quite powerful in CV, but generally I don't find melee attacks worth it in these games anymore. I absolutely hate it when I finish a game with hundreds of rounds to spare. The health risk and, well, tedium of playing conservatively just isn't worth it. I always feel I could have had so much more fun if I had actually used my ammo.

Contextual melee is SO worth it though and is actually more satisfying than guns. :D

Sectus said:

Hunk's neckbreaker in 4 was the coolest melee animation of them all. He better come back.

Nikorasu said:
Hunk's neckbreaker in 4 was the coolest melee animation of them all. He better come back.
Isn't Hunk in the Public Assembly demo in the chooper shooting the rpg at the end? Unless it's some other guy with a gas mask on but it looks a lot like Hunk. I have to agree about the neckbreaker in 4. When I broke the chainsaw lady's neck in Mercs my jaw just dropped open. Awesome moment.

ymmv

Banned
inner-G said:
Me + 3 friends played this for 10 minutes.

All agreed = do not want

The pre-release hypw was incredible for RE5. This was absolutely one of the must-have games for 2009. I bet a lot of people will have scratched the game off their want list after playing the demo. Capcom should have done what Hideo Kojima did for MGS4: get a westerner in your team and make him hone the game for western gamers. It worked wonders for MGS4.

Personally, I really want to like the game but I was completely turned off by the demo.

Yagharek

Rez>You said:

It only takes 10 minutes apparently to figure it out :lol

Really, everything people are complaining about in RE5 were features that existed in all 3 versions of RE4. I get the impression these complaints would have been found in the first few pages of RE4 threads all of 4 years ago.

Shurs

Finally had a chance to fire up the demo last night and play some online co-op. I really enjoyed it. I had stopped playing games for a few years when RE4 came out, so this is a completely new experience to me.

The first person I played with online was a fucking pro, knifing a lot of enemies and finding all of the dropped items. They were also a bit selfish.

The second person I played with wasn't as skilled as the first but was a much better teammate, sharing items and sticking close.

I'll be buying this on day one for PS3 and will be going back to the online co-op over and over again, as it will offer different gameplay experiences.

MrDenny

Don't know if this was posted yet. In Shanty Town, there is a electric pole right before the chainsaw guy emerges, where the steps end. If you shoot the electricity box at the top of the pole, it'll fall and each time you shoot it, electricity will shock anyone near it.

Mrbob

Weird...the controls didn't bother me as much on PS3 as they did on 360. Don't know how to explain it. The type A controls felt more natural to me using R1 and L1 versus the triggers. Also, the lighting seemed nicer but this could be due to hdmi versus component.

kevm3

I was pretty unimpressed by the demo. I just didn't particularly care for the 'feel of the game.' The literal 'stop and pop' gameplay should've been upgraded this time around. I think what made it a bit more tolerable in 4 is that the zombies didn't seem to move as fast from my memory and you don't have to babysit another character.

It will probably be a lot better in the full game, but I'm not particularly enthralled with bodybuilder Chris who knocks groups of zombies out with a superpunch. It doesn't really feel like 'survival horror' as much as it does an action game with zombie-esque creatures. But I'll reserve my full judgment until the game comes out.

Varna

Nikorasu said:

I don't know about that. The knife was an amazing tool in Code Veronica because it seem to get multiple hits per swipe. I saved so much ammo with it during the early segments of the game. Shoot them until they are down, run up to them and slash away. When I use to play that game non-stop, I got good enough that I didn't even need a gun for simple zombies.

Also the stomp/stab attacks don't seem to be available all the time...

EDIT: I am a bit confused at this point to be honest.

The controls at this point are a non-issue. Sure, I wish the aiming and turning were faster, but its not an issue anymore. Part of the problem for me was just getting use to the controls again. I'm pretty much playing this game as I played RE4 now.

The AI controlled partner is not something that can be fixed. This is a fricken 18 hour game too, it's going to be hard to find someone willing to play this all the time.

ypo

Consider how you remain in turret-lioke mode eve when using your KNIFE. That's ridiculous; after knifing a zombie they stumble back and to attack them consecutively you have to get out of attack mode, move forward, get into attack mode again and knife. Wow.

Yea, they are totally dropping the ball with this game. How does this shit even make sense? I'll still give the final a try by renting it.

Man, I really like this game(And I'm black lol), some of the stuff that reviewers have mentioned though have given me doubts as I don't want to support Capcom's blindness to certain imagery.

However I'll probably get it day 1 just because it's so much fun and like I said, it really doesn't bother me. What bothers me though is Capcoms continuing failure to throw PS3 owners a bone when it comes to their games. I don't understand how they're still having trouble with PS3 development at this point when they're such a big player in the market.

And why can't PS3 owners use the sixaxis ability to shake off zombies instead of the control stick? *Groan* It's little things like this that smaller developers do, that Capcom doesn't which baffles me.

Top Bottom