• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Degica Kickstarting Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative localization this summer

OnFire331

Muv-Luv-Kickstarter-Plans.jpg

Gematsu said:
Degica and IXTL are planning the launch of a Kickstarter campaign in August or September to localize the Muv-Luv visual novel series, the company announced.

The campaign, which promises a number of exclusive rewards and incentives for fans of the series, will focus on the localization and PC/Steam release of the first two titles in the series: Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative.

Degica will have a formal Kickstarter announcement press conference event at Anime Expo in Los Angeles on July 3, between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m., at LACC 303A.

Best mecha VN series is being localized officially. Despair will now be able to reach a much wider audience.

Also, this magnificent motherfucker is going to be in AX:
ec957331-kouki_07z06107x060000000.jpg

Source:
http://gematsu.com/2015/06/degica-k...-localization-this-summer#0GXdQoYKxzuvJaZu.99

Official Degica Muv-Luv site and Muv-Luv Giveaway here:
http://muvluv.degica.com/

UltraJay

It's great seeing more and more high-rated VNs get official localizations - even when they have fan translations already.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this supposed to be one of the best VNs ever? Cautiously excited.

Sakura

Yay more decade old visual novels, that already have fan translations too, being brought over! Great to see the western market for visual novels is so thriving that companies are starting to bring more titles over. Except, oh wait, it's a kickstarter, which means western fans are paying to bring it over in the first place.

Nah I'm just kidding Muv Luv is alright.

Sakura

Extra and Unlimited are generally considered not that great, but they are an absolute necessity to properly understand Alternative.

I would disagree on that.
Unlimited is better than Alternative IMO.
I think the only reason people consider Extra/Unlimited 'inferior' is because they got into the games/series with the expectation of mechs and fighting and stuff, which isn't what the first game is about.
But on its own without those kinds of expectations I think Unlimited is great.

Jazz573

I would disagree on that.
Unlimited is better than Alternative IMO.
I think the only reason people consider Extra/Unlimited 'inferior' is because they got into the games/series with the expectation of mechs and fighting and stuff, which isn't what the first game is about.
But on its own without those kinds of expectations I think Unlimited is great.

I was just stating the general consensus. I've not played them myself, so I can't really comment, but that's generally what I've seen. I already knew the first two games aren't like that, so hopefully it will increase my enjoyment of them.

Jawmuncher

I only see two muv luv games up there. You're telling me there are two titles inbetween the two listed that are needed to understand alternative?

OnFire331

Isn't this supposed to be one of the best VNs ever? Cautiously excited.

MLA is one of the best VNs I've read, yes. The production values are also pretty damn high with some top-tier VAs, animated scenes and music (with artists like JAM Project doing the theme and insert songs).

I guess I got an enhanced experience by watching/reading all the translated age material at the time back-to-back before it (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Akane Maniax, Muv-Luv Extra, Muv-Luv Unlimited) and got attached to the characters that all appear in Alternative.

Actually, the X360 and PS3 openings show exactly how Alternative feels at its best moments:
Muv-Luv Alternative X360 Opening
Muv-Luv Alternative PS3 Opening

upandaway

Saw the news and rushed in here, holy crap. Out of nowhere.

I really, really loved the VN. It's definitely one of my favorites with Steins Gate and Higurashi. I hope they can fund it.

If that leads into getting Total Eclipse too that would be insane. I'm dying to play that, dying.

I only see two muv luv games up there. You're telling me there are two titles inbetween the two listed that are needed to understand alternative?

If I remember correctly, the first game starts off with you playing Extra. When you beat Extra it unlocks Unlimited. Then you move onto Alternative.

First game: Extra, Unlimited
Second game: Alternative

aravuus

It's certainly one of the most bleak and depressing VNs ever.

I don't remember it being particularly depressing aside from the PTSD arc. Which, I agree, was depressing as fuck, and definitely my favorite part in the VN.

I can't say I consider MLA even close to being the best, but I suppose I should give it another try. Went in with the wrong expectations the first time around.

e: also extra and unlimited are fucking terrible shit, especially extra, but better play them before tackling mla. just do it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
MLA is one of the best VNs I've read, yes. The production values are also pretty damn high with some top-tier VAs, animated scenes and music (with artists like JAM Project doing the theme and insert songs).

I guess I got an enhanced experience by watching/reading all the translated age material at the time back-to-back before it (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Akane Maniax, Muv-Luv Extra, Muv-Luv Unlimited) and got attached to the characters that all appear in Alternative.

Actually, the X360 and PS3 openings show exactly how Alternative feels at its best moments:
Muv-Luv Alternative X360 Opening
Muv-Luv Alternative PS3 Opening

I personally like the PC one more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAXEMvIHtT0

OnFire331

The first game is actually two games. The first one is a generic harem rom-com with a generic harem MC, and a second hidden one where that same generic MC one day wakes up in an alternate universe where humanity is almost extinct and in war but it's still very lighthearted (except the ending scenes). The third one is where shit hits the fan fast and the actual battle for survival is shown. As one gaffer once put it, the trilogy tells the story of what happens if you put a generic harem MC into literal hell where war and death is commonplace.

fertygo

oh sheittttttttt, best VN ever this is folks.

edit, I don't think Unlimited is that off-putting personally the series already hook me since then, and continued to Alternative being the best thing ever.

jonjonaug

Cross posting from the VN thread...

I'm really happy at the possibility of Muv Luv officially in English...but there's a couple things that make me wary of this.

1. From what I can tell through the grapevine (twitter and IRC channel people), this is just reusing the existing translation as-is. Muv Luv isn't exactly "ruinable" in the same way Cross Channel or the good parts of Rewrite are, but the translation not being touched up at all is a little worrying. This leads to...

2. age is notoriously difficult to work with. If Muv Luv is successful, that's great. But would a quality studio be willing to work with them is the future question. Degica publishes small RPGs and shmups, not visual novels with huge scripts. I find it difficult to think that this will lead to quality releases of the rest of the Muv Luv franchise. Releases maybe, but not particularly good ones.

3. The rest of the games in the franchise are mostly 18+ and PC only outside of Total Eclipse, so they aren't as financially attractive like the all ages release of the main games in the franchise are. My hope is that we'd get Altered Fable or the Chronicles games eventually out of this, but we'd probably just get Total Eclipse and nothing else.

I really do hope this works out and that we get more games out of age than just the main Muv Luv titles, but I don't expect much.

OnFire331

You guys don't actually need to lay out the story for other people, they can find out by themselves

Extra is a hard pill to swallow for most, better tell them beforehand that it gets better (much better). I'm not intending to tell more of the story anyway other than don't fucking skip Extra and Unlimited and I recommend watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts) before playing Muv-Luv Alternative too.

Jazz573

Extra is a hard pill to swallow for most, better tell them beforehand that it gets better (much better). I'm not intending to tell more of the story anyway other than don't fucking skip Extra and Unlimited and I recommend watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts) before playing Muv-Luv Alternative too.

If you're talking abiut the games then yes.
But in terms of disturbing content it gets much worse.

jonjonaug

Well damn, will prbably avoid then. But I love VN and support more VN games being localized.

It's not all bleak and depressing (I wouldn't even rate it high on the "depressing" scale of VNs I've played). Mostly Alternative is just pretty badass with occasional splotches of being kicked in the genitals until you bleed.

To put this another way: It will take you two to three weeks to read Extra/Unlimited and the first third of Alternative (about half of the series put together). It will take you two to three days to read through the last two thirds of Alternative, likely with little to no sleep.

fertygo

To put this another way: It will take you two to three weeks to read Extra/Unlimited and the first third of Alternative (about half of the series put together). It will take you two to three days to read through the last two thirds of Alternative, likely with little to no sleep.

LMAO

Yeah, I can only thinking about it when its goes to Alternative.

upandaway

3. The rest of the games in the franchise are mostly 18+ and PC only outside of Total Eclipse, so they aren't as financially attractive like the all ages release of the main games in the franchise are. My hope is that we'd get Altered Fable or the Chronicles games eventually out of this, but we'd probably just get Total Eclipse and nothing else.
Dunno man, you say "Total Eclipse and nothing else" but to me that translates to "AND ALSO MAYBE TOTAL ECLIPSE" because the chances of getting that before were tiny. The fan translation was really slow too. I'll be extremely happy if we can just get TE.

The series had tiny chances of ever making it over officially, of course one kickstarter won't make everything suddenly perfect.

Rephin

Oh man, I can't wait to back this. One of my favorite VNs ever, I thought this would never come over.

fedexpeon

Banned
Well, this is unexpected.
But shit, alright, I am in.
KS is bringing all the impossible localization of VN games into a reality now.
Globalization finally reaches the land of the Rising Sun for Japanese devs >.>

Shizuka

Alright, I feel like people spoiled half the game in the first ten posts or so, this is not a spoiler thread discussion guys. Hold it in your pants, most of the people reading this are discovering it just recently.

Alright, I feel like people spoiled half the game in the first ten posts or so, this is not a spoiler thread discussion guys. Hold it in your pants, most of the people reading this are discovering it just recently.

:<

Whelp, time to abandon the thread. >_> (But still excited to hear another new VN release announcement!)

aravuus

I'm not seeing it. OnFire wrote about the premise of each game which some might consider spoiler-y, but still hardly "half the game".

If the Alternative anime was any indication on what the VN is like, I think I'll pass. It started off pretty well with the first few episodes but in the end it just turned into a mess.

Sitrus

If the Alternative anime was any indication on what the VN is like, I think I'll pass. It started off pretty well with the first few episodes but in the end it just turned into a mess.

The anime was based on a spin-off. The main games are better. Though I have to say Extra bored me to death. Unlimited was a bit better paces. Alternative is just depressing (great).

Top Bottom