• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Degica Kickstarting Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative localization this summer

As a Muv-Luv fanboy who bought more merchandise and media for this series than I care to admit, age can take all my money for this Kickstarter.

And Kouki is at AX2015!? I got all this stuff for him to sign and he's only on the West coast!? ONORE KOUKIIIIIIII

sensui-tomo

If the Alternative anime was any indication on what the VN is like, I think I'll pass. It started off pretty well with the first few episodes but in the end it just turned into a mess.
Are these less boring than the anime? After Umineko, I don't think I can take another boring long poorly-paced VN.
Not the same story as the anime (anime is a spin-off of this) it'd be like comparing Fate to that Illya magical girl anime.
Wasn't this suppose to be Attack on Titans before Attack on Titans only with time travel.
No time travel, but Alternative does deliver the AoT feel...
JAM PROJECT for the best intro

And as always people lest we forget don't ever forget about
CHOMP!!!

Kaizu

I liked the 3 first episodes. Then the anime turned into a borefest.

Muv Luv Alternative VN is the 2nd episode multiplies by 10, every time, all the time from start to finish. The anime is also just a spin off of the actual game.

The caveat of Muv Luv is always Extra and to a certain extent, Unlimited. It's just unfair to ask people to seat through 20 to 30 hours of generic highschool hijinks to get to the good part. People don't buy into that even if the good is really good.

I managed to get through Extra because I kinda enjoy it due to that tiny little relation it shares with KGNE . Unlimited is pretty fun though but I will see how people are also turn off by it. Alternative on the other hand just blazes through all kinds of expectations. It's one of the most matured plot I have seen that based a lot on pragmatism rather than generic anime idealism bullshit. It's difficult to find another analogue to MLA but I find Legend of The Galatic Heroes to fit the bill. Oh, Attack on Titan was also partly inspired by MLA and it really shows and I will consider AoT to be tamed when compared to the shit that happened in MLA.

I liked the 3 first episodes. Then the anime turned into a borefest.

Even for someone like me who's into visual novels, I find most adaptations to be horrible in pacing and direction if it's not KyoAni or A1 (Kiminozo being one of the few exceptions...). That being said, even though I was turned off by Total Eclipse, I can't wait to for these!

Taruranto

Meh, overrated VN is overrated.

Wish these VN kickstarts would start bring more interesting stuff, like Sharnoth or a re-release of Ever17.

Isn't this the VN with the girl who
gets her head bitten off by some monster and its the goriest thing ever?

JUNGUUJI-SENSE WAS SEEN EATING WITH ANOTHER MAN

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So many Kickstarters for VNs... my wallet!!

I'm also I guess a rarity around here as I never played the game so I'll be backing.

jonjonaug

Hm...should I care about "All-ages" version vs uncut? Is there something of consequence that would be missing in an "all-ages" version?

Sexual content is toned down (not removed entirely) and a couple of gory images are modified in a way that the worst parts of them are covered or darkened, but you can still very clearly tell what's happening in them.

Keep in mind that the "All Ages" version of the games are still rated 17+ in Japan. To quote Wikipedia on the differences:

CERO D (17+): Contains some adult material. Children under 17 cannot get games with this rating unless they get permission to do so, and if they are over 17, they must show ID proving it. May contain strong sexual content, partial nudity, strong/intense violence with blood and gore, and strong profanity.

CERO Z (18+): Content is clearly adult. No one under 18 are allowed to get games with this rating. May contain prolonged scenes of intense violence, sexual content or nudity, and profanity.

Oh look, another VN like Grisaia which everyone except me seems to love and enjoy immensely is going to be localized!

Jokes aside, I am happy for the fans and well, it's progress for localizations for sure. Hope it reaches its goal.

Oh look, another VN like Grisaia which everyone except me seems to love and enjoy immensely is going to be localized!

Jokes aside, I am happy for the fans and well, it's progress for localizations for sure. Hope it reaches its goal.

I'm not familiar with Grisaia, but Muv Luv is Science Fiction.

Well Extra is SoL, but Unlimited and Alternative especially are Science Fiction and Action.

Jazz573

Do you know if there'll be a physical release, specially during the Kickstarter?
I am curious as well.

They've not said anything yet. We'll have to wait until July 3rd, when they're holding a press conference at AnimeExpo from 1 to 2 pm (is that EST or PST? I can't remember where AnimeExpo takes place.).

Also, the Kickstarter is still a quite a while from now--it's not happening until either August or September.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They've not said anything yet. We'll have to wait until July 3rd, when they're holding a press conference at AnimeExpo from 1 to 2 pm (is that EST or PST? I can't remember where AnimeExpo takes place.).

Also, the Kickstarter is still a quite a while from now--it's not happening until either August or September.

AX is in LA so PST. And yeah plenty of time to plan it out.

OnFire331

That's pretty good news. Muv-Luv in HD is going to be a good reason to re-read the trilogy and the Engrish going away is good for the wide audience of Steam. It's kind of bad that the first scene of Alternative that's supposed to make you shit bricks, makes you burst in laugher instead because of the Engrish.

sensui-tomo

Does the all ages version still have "that scene" in alternative or is it changed in any way?
Not sex (since thats obviously not in) Look to my past post here if you still dont understand.

Jazz573

That's pretty good news. Muv-Luv in HD is going to be a good reason to re-read the trilogy and the Engrish going away is good for the wide audience of Steam. It's kind of bad that the first scene of Alternative that's supposed to make you shit bricks, makes you burst in laugher instead because of the Engrish.

The Engrish is not necessarily going away (and I honestly hope it doesn't, because from what I've heard it adds charm), they're only considering it, depending on peoples' opinions.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It's censored a bit but you can still see whats going on pretty much but I'm not sure if they'd use censored CGs for that in the American version considering the differences in audience standards here.

sensui-tomo

It's censored a bit but you can still see whats going on pretty much but I'm not sure if they'd use censored CGs for that in the American version considering the differences in audience standards here.

They have censored cgs for BIG SPOILER
Chomp scene? does it just swirl the image around? Since that's the one scene and reason why my friend wont touch this VN (he is squeamish) Its an eye opener of a scene though

Jazz573

Does the all ages version still have "that scene" in alternative or is it changed in any way?
Not sex (since thats obviously not in) Look to my past post here if you still dont understand.

I'm assuming you're referring to gore then? I'm only making a guess as I've never played the games. But it's the only logical thing you could be talking about. I think I've heard the a lot of the gore was removed in the All-Ages version. The game is rated 17+ or CERO D, which I think does restrict extreme amounts of gore.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
They have censored cgs for BIG SPOILER
Chomp scene? does it just swirl the image around? Since that's the one scene and reason why my friend wont touch this VN (he is squeamish) Its an eye opener of a scene though

They do but I don't know to which extent it's censored since I haven't seen it. I remember AGE released a patch you can apply to censor it with the original release of the game so it may be an option with the new release?
It'd probably be better to direct the question to the tumblr or twitter page though to be sure.

sensui-tomo

I'm assuming you're referring to gore then? I'm only making a guess as I've never played the games. But it's the only logical thing you could be talking about. I think I've heard the a lot of the gore was removed in the All-Ages version. The game is rated 17+ or CERO D, which I think does restrict extreme amounts of gore.

the gore isnt bad in the other scenes from what i remember ... but "the scene" ... well its name is a meme within the community and its not for the feint of heart(i think thats the expression?)

The Engrish is not necessarily going away (and I honestly hope it doesn't, because from what I've heard it adds charm), they're only considering it, depending on peoples' opinions.

Well it makes what is supposed to be a serious moment comedic, but I suppose you could call that charming. But it's bad enough to make the localization look unprofessional. I'd probably change it, anyone wanting a laugh can go on youtube.

OnFire331

They do but I don't know to which extent it's censored since I haven't seen it. I remember AGE released a patch you can apply to censor it with the original release of the game so it may be an option with the new release?
It'd probably be better to direct the question to the tumblr or twitter page though to be sure.

Takeru covers the face with his hand and you can't entirely see how it really became, but it's not entirely covered yet so you can fill still fill in the gaps.

aravuus

Unintentional charm is fine with a comedy slice-of-life whatever VN

Which MLA REALLY isn't

I'm not familiar with Grisaia, but Muv Luv is Science Fiction.

Well Extra is SoL, but Unlimited and Alternative especially are Science Fiction and Action.

I don't understand your point with this post, I read the trilogy and while it was good I just couldn't love it.

Jazz573

I made a countdown for Degica's panel on the Muv-Luv kickstarter:

t1435953600z4.png

OnFire331

Voted already. It seems like they're going for a Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien Latest Edition kind of remake for Muv-Luv / Muv-Luv Alternative, that's pretty damn amazing. And the possibility of Integral Works getting translated is the stuff of dreams.

Most of it sounds way too ambitious, hopefully the actual kickstarter has a more sensible scope.

Why? Nothing wrong in putting those as stretchgoals. If it doesn't reach them, it doesn't reach them.

Voted already. It seems like they're going for a Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien Latest Edition kind of remake for Muv-Luv / Muv-Luv Alternative, that's pretty damn amazing. And the possibility of Integral Works getting translated is the stuff of dreams.

It just sounds like they are throwing a bunch of ideas out there, some of them really implausible, like reworking Alternative or making an anime.

Nothing wrong in putting those as stretchgoals. If it doesn't reach them, it doesn't reach them.
I'd rather they localize the games and not overstretch themselves with crazy ideas. If they have that much money to spare, they can start with re-translating the base games.

OnFire331

It just sounds like they are throwing a bunch of ideas out there, some of them really implausible, like reworking Alternative or making an anime.

They got the ideas from Tumblr questions and one of the KS planners made a poll out of them. The anime one isn't happening without Japan (IXTL seems to have a long-term plan for anime projects). The extending the story ones aren't happening either, but I can see the fixing errors in the art, re-voicing non-Japanese characters, Integral Works and translating KGNE / other Muv-Luv VNs as obvious stretchgoals. These are pending aproval from IXTL/âge anyway, but some of those might be realized as they aren't that far-fetched.

I'd rather they localize the games and not overstretch themselves with crazy ideas. If they have that much money to spare, they can start with re-translating the base games.

They got Ixrec back so the re-translation basically goes with the base goal. The translation was decent anyway, the stuff that should absolutely be fixed now are the unit designations and the Valkyries' motto.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I voted mostly to work on translating KGNE since that means more games.

Also the booth looks nice:
CJAQCqQUcAA_I4A.jpg:large

Apparently they'll be at the Sekai Project panel.

Top Bottom