• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dementium: The Ward [DS] Official Thread of handheld Survival Horror

They've really pushed the graphics for this game and the controls are finely tuned (at least for me). I haven't played through, so I can't say anything about the overall feel and length.

Gwanatu T

Lobster said:
These are all reviews.

IGN: 8/10
Destructoid: 8.5/10
GamePro: 4/5
Games Radar: 8/10
Game Daily: 8/10

'oly 'ell! That's a lot better than I imagined this game would get. I might just have to play this one!

GhostSeed

Lobster said:
These are all reviews.

IGN: 8/10
Destructoid: 8.5/10
GamePro: 4/5
Games Radar: 8/10
Game Daily: 8/10

Wow, better than I thought.
Even though I made the thread I still haven't picked up a copy. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked it up today. Expect impressions later tonight.

Edit - Wow, glad to see it's getting universally great reviews, and that I didn't pick up a lemon!

sphinx

the piano man
the thing I like about the reviews is that even though the game will very likely have flaws, it has "something" that prevents the game from getting bad scores, apparently.

It's like rating zelda wind waker, where there were obvious flaws but the sum of its parts were so great you couldn't dare rate it with a 7 or 6.

the same here but without being a known franchise with a development team of 30-60 people.

really nice :).

Mejilan

Early thoughts.

The graphics are something to the effect of OMFG THIS IS THE DS?? Seriously, I'm convinced the N64 would have taken this game and choked and chugged to hell. Fully decked out and rendered rooms ordered into an appropriately labyrinthine hospital setting complete with convincing and natural furnishings! Hell, they even use the occasional animated texture to great effect, such as simulating rain falling down/against window glass! And holy shit at the blood. It's everywhere. Covering almost every exposed indoor surface to some extent. Bloodiest game on the DS? Probably. It's downright gratuitous! :lol

The lighting is clearly faked, but it's very clever nonetheless. What looked like absolute shit in screenshots, and vaguely neat in the early vids, looks utterly fantastic in-game. While it won't convince graphics whores, it'll tickle the fancy of anyone that actually appreciates DS-style 3D, and on top of that, does MUCH to boost ambiance. Though yeah, not being able to wield at least the pistol in tandem with the flashlight is pretty lame.

Hell, even the way he flicks his wrist back and forth as you pan around with a weapon or the flashlight is impressive. Looks very fluid and natural, unlike, say... Red Steel. Speaking of the flashlight, I love how it flickers and dies out for a second or two, every once in a while, actually affecting the gameplay somewhat. The game is full of the kind of attention to detail you typically only expect from big game studios!

SMOOOOOOOTH as fuck controls and rock solid framerate. Insanely impressive. The controls are so awesome, I don't even mind too much that there's no sensitivity slider for the stylus-driven mouse-look!

Music is rather simple but creepy and quite atmospheric. Sound effects are excellent, and even somewhat situational. I was pretty impressed with how you could hear the torrential downpour outside when approaching windows, or the whines of dying hospital electronic equipment if you got too close to them. I'm constantly impressed with the DS's speakers, as even baddies seem to have somewhat positional sound. You can hear the relative direction of a creature (and this without headphones!), and even tell what kind of baddie it is before you see it, thanks to the unique sounds and moans given to the various creatures I've encountered so far. And if a particular creature is silent, you can still hear it's shuffling about, if you're cautious.

Very impressive. In a game with such clausterphobic darkness (and a very cool "grit layer" to the first person camera), sound is particularly important, and the developers did not drop the ball here.

I knew when I hit chapter 3 (
the infant ward
), that things would get even more disturbing, and frankly,
those creepy-crawlers of DOOM that were incubating in the baby incubators failed to disappoint!
And I absolute loved the clever
piano
puzzle half-way through it. I actually had to Google the
piano scale
to solve it. I knew immediately what I had to do, but because I'm not at all familiar
with music
, I didn't have a clue how to go about it exactly. Or perhaps I missed another clue or three there.

It seems like even some of the scripting, such as the zombie things bursting out of doors, is random, since when I did die and restarted the chapter, they didn't always burst out of the same doors. Neat touch.

I'm early in, yet, but so far, I'm MIGHTILY impressed. This product is clearly a labor of love crafted by a very talented group that isn't afraid to dig deep into weaker hardware in order to tap oft-ignored wells, and milk it for all its worth.

Protip 1: Health pills seem to restore 2 levels of health, so try to avoid grabbing one if you're only missing one level of health.

Protip 2: Ditto with pistol ammo. Every box provides 8 bullets, so don't "waste" a box if you're only missing 1 or 2 bullets.

Protip 3: Pay attention to that jittery cursor. When it turns red, SHOOT, even if the foe is still swathed in darkness. The zombies can be one-hit-killed if you shoot them in the right spot (and no, it ain't the head!) :D

Protip 4: Though almost pixel precision is possible when aiming, the game's actually pretty forgiving in registering hits. Makes sense, since combat is so close range in this game (so far), and your pistol can only hold 24 bullets at once!

mollipen

Damn... I've kind of had my eye on this game, and now hearing all of this positive talk about it, I might have to run out tomorrow and see if I can track it down.

The M.O.B

Mejilan said:
Early thoughts.

The graphics are something to the effect of OMFG THIS IS THE DS?? Seriously, I'm convinced the N64 would have taken this game and choked and chugged to hell. Fully decked out and rendered rooms ordered into an appropriately labyrinthine hospital setting complete with convincing and natural furnishings! Hell, they even use the occasional animated texture to great effect, such as simulating rain falling down/against window glass!

SMOOOOOOOTH as fuck controls and rock solid framerate. Insanely impressive. The controls are so awesome, I don't even mind too much that there's no sensitivity slider for the stylus-driven mouse-look!

Music is rather simple but creepy and quite atmospheric. Sound effects are excellent, and even somewhat situational. I was pretty impressed with how you could hear the torrential downpour outside when approaching windows, or the whines of dying hospital electronic equipment if you got too close to them. I'm constantly impressed with the DS's speakers, as even baddies seem to have somewhat positional sound. You can hear the relative direction of a creature (and this without headphones!), and even tell what kind of baddie it is before you see it, thanks to the unique sounds and moans given to the various creatures I've encountered so far. And if a particular creature is silent, you can still hear it's shuffling about, if you're cautious.

Very impressive. In a game with such clausterphobic darkness (and a very cool "grit layer" to the first person camera), sound is particularly important, and the developers did not drop the ball here.

the infant ward
those creepy-crawlers of DOOM that were incubating in the baby incubators failed to disappoint!
piano
piano scale
to solve it. I knew immediately what I had to do, but because I'm not at all familiar
with music
, I didn't have a clue how to go about it exactly. Or perhaps I missed another clue or three there.

It seems like even some of the scripting, such as the zombie things bursting out of doors, is random, since when I did die and restarted the chapter, they didn't always burst out of the same doors. Neat touch.

I'm early in, yet, but so far, I'm MIGHTILY impressed. This product is clearly a labor of love crafted by a very talented group that isn't afraid to dig deep into weaker hardware in order to tap oft-ignored wells, and milk it for all its worth.

Nice impressions, Thanks:D

Yoschi

One of the downsides of the game is that the music for the first boss is horrific, and i don't mean this in a good way. it sounds like something done by a 3 year old with an 80ies midi-piano, simply fucking bad.

another bad point is the repetitiveness look of the first chapters, wich could also be seen as a good point since it is a horror game and could be meant to confuse.

the rest of the game is excellent though. i love that you can't use the flashlight and a weapon together. the flying thing with that weird crying noise is soo cool too, i was like "wtf is that? WAAH! shit its fast!! *runs*" :lol

Mejilan

Haha, I just bumped into my first batch of shriekers, and yeah, they're freaking awesome. Hahaha. Have you found a good, quick way to kill them? They take a lot of shots before they go down, and I'm afraid to use my night stick against 'em!

Saitou

Banned
Mejilan, you missed the conveniently placed hint for the piano puzzle, I'm afraid to say.

But yeah, this game does wonders on DS hardware. Makes it hard to believe it's done basically by a bunch of guys in a basement with lots of hard work and
game
cock.

The only thing I don't like is how everytime I die, I can't bring myself to immediatel jump in and repeat a level, but rather put the thing down for a while. The dying per se isn't annoying, just the idea of having to trudge through those goddamn screaming larvae.

That noise will haunt me for years to come.

Mejilan

If you're talking about the hint I think you're talking about, then I saw it. I recognized those as musical notes, I just didn't know which
piano keys
coincided with which notes! That's what I Googled.

And yeah, the incubator larvae are freakish. I've gotten much better at wiping them out now with single shots. I can take out 5 or 6 at once without getting hit, or even panicking/retreating too much!

:D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Mejilan said:
If you're talking about the hint I think you're talking about, then I saw it. I recognized those as musical notes, I just didn't know which
piano keys
coincided with which notes! That's what I Googled.

And yeah, the incubator larvae are freakish. I've gotten much better at wiping them out now with single shots. I can take out 5 or 6 at once without getting hit, or even panicking/retreating too much!

Nah, that's not the hint, i don't think anyway. I think he means
The piano book on a chair outside the room with the piano. It has an image of the keyboard with the keys that coincide with each note.

Saitou

Banned
Mejilan said:

Yeah, that really works well.

When there's less than two dozen of 'em. In a corridor. Popping from both sides and cieling at once. AND INSTANTLY RESPAWNING.

Mejilan

Excellent. Just got the shotgun. It too has a tiny max ammo capacity! I see that'll be the theme of the game, eh?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So, is this actually a freaky and disturbed game like Silent Hill, or more of a moody action-adventure with surprise scares like Res Evil?

Mejilan

It's more of a shooter game than a horror game, IMHO. But it's not a fast paced run-n-gun either. Nor does that mean that the creepy elements are poorly done. It's not trying to outright fuck with you at all times, but the atmosphere is spot on.

Vinnk

Ok, I'm interested now. But I fear the chances of this game being released in Japan are slim to none. Maybe I'll pick it up next time I'm in the states.

Saitou

Banned
Vinnk said:
Ok, I'm interested now. But I fear the chances of this game being released in Japan are slim to none. Maybe I'll pick it up next time I'm in the states.
More like none to negative.

sphinx

the piano man
Mejilan said:
Impressions

Mejilan, you sure know how to get people hyped :D.

It felt nice to read your impressions, reinforces my intention of getting this game,
once I find it.

Tiktaalik

Wow great positive impressions. The fact that the scripted scares are a bit random is a great touch. I'll keep my eye on this one from now on.

Mejilan said:
Early thoughts.

The graphics are something to the effect of OMFG THIS IS THE DS?? Seriously, I'm convinced the N64 would have taken this game and choked and chugged to hell. Fully decked out and rendered rooms ordered into an appropriately labyrinthine hospital setting complete with convincing and natural furnishings! Hell, they even use the occasional animated texture to great effect, such as simulating rain falling down/against window glass! And holy shit at the blood. It's everywhere. Covering almost every exposed indoor surface to some extent. Bloodiest game on the DS? Probably. It's downright gratuitous! :lol

The lighting is clearly faked, but it's very clever nonetheless. What looked like absolute shit in screenshots, and vaguely neat in the early vids, looks utterly fantastic in-game. While it won't convince graphics whores, it'll tickle the fancy of anyone that actually appreciates DS-style 3D, and on top of that, does MUCH to boost ambiance. Though yeah, not being able to wield at least the pistol in tandem with the flashlight is pretty lame.

Hell, even the way he flicks his wrist back and forth as you pan around with a weapon or the flashlight is impressive. Looks very fluid and natural, unlike, say... Red Steel. Speaking of the flashlight, I love how it flickers and dies out for a second or two, every once in a while, actually affecting the gameplay somewhat. The game is full of the kind of attention to detail you typically only expect from big game studios!

the infant ward
piano
piano scale
with music

Protip 1: Health pills seem to restore 2 levels of health, so try to avoid grabbing one if you're only missing one level of health.

Protip 2: Ditto with pistol ammo. Every box provides 8 bullets, so don't "waste" a box if you're only missing 1 or 2 bullets.

Protip 3: Pay attention to that jittery cursor. When it turns red, SHOOT, even if the foe is still swathed in darkness. The zombies can be one-hit-killed if you shoot them in the right spot (and no, it ain't the head!) :D

Protip 4: Though almost pixel precision is possible when aiming, the game's actually pretty forgiving in registering hits. Makes sense, since combat is so close range in this game (so far), and your pistol can only hold 24 bullets at once!

Whoa. Buying the next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the impressions.

dangit, I tried to get it on the release day and save 5 bucks to get it at the US price, but games by small publishers always come in a few days late in Canada...

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Damn, reading these previews, I'm actually feeling regret for buying Phantom Hourglass a few days ago instead of waiting for this.

90% of that regret has to do with the Temple of the Ocean King, but the other 10% is based on this game's awesome.

Galactic Fork

I'm up to chapter 6, and I think I've played enough now to give more detailed impressions.

As has been said, it looks really great for a DS game. Close up the textures aren't nearly pixelated as others I've seen. There are a ton of nice extra touches I didn't expect, too. Walking and running have very noticeable up and down motion as you go and your gun fidgets (it even moves unsteadily when you're standing still). It's odd cause I was complaining to a friend just the other day that one of the things I don't like about a lot of FPSs is the smoothness of walking. For example, I had been watching a video of portal being played and it just seemed like a floating camera. So in Dementium I really get a sense somebody is really holding the flashlight.

The controls are great. They are precise and forgiving, so even though your reticle moves while you're standing still, it'll still generally hit what you're aiming at. Not being able to use the gun or the flashlight at the same time can be annoying, but I can forgive them. And it would make
picking off the screaming larvae things
too easy.
They move so unpredictably that when you spot one with your flashlight at a safe distance, if you switch to your gun too soon, you'll lose it. Then you hear screaming and you're being hit. Little bastards...

So far, as you progress the enemies get more and more difficult to deal with. I really don't want to give too much away, but they even change up the older monsters as you get farther along, so don't get complacent! The monsters on chapter 6 are especially pure evil. I've died a few times on this one.

When you die during a chapter, you return to the beginning. What's amusing is that it removes all the playtime you've put into the chapter from the progressive save file. I've died a few times, so while it says my play time is 2 hours, I've probably put between 3 and 4 hours into it so far. Player reviews I've seen on gaming sites call the Save system broken. You may not like it, but it is exactly how they want it. I officially see it as a good thing now. To me, it adds to the tension and makes survival all the more important. Plus it made the first boss battle all the more interesting (though I got my ass kicked the first time).

Story. So far there isn't much of one, but i think that's starting to change. It's early in a survival horror game, how often do you know what's going on in the beginning? And I would definitely place this in the Survival Horror genre, just with much better combat than most. I do think the story is starting to move some, hopefully it'll be decent.

I really like the notepad. One thing is odd. I was worried about using it because in Phantom Hourglass, when writing on maps, the lines I would write would not match up to where I pressed, but in Dementium, it always seems to be perfectly where I press. Hard to believe they got the writing mechanic better than a high profile 1st party game... I'd need other people to confirm it.

The bad... RE-FUCKING-SPAWNING MONSTERS! This pretty much ruins exploration. It's also probably why the game is so linear so far. You want every door to be locked. If they had lots of empty side rooms and dead ends, the respawning would make me throw the game out the window. (IGN said it was because of DS's limitations. That's fucking bs. If the game can remember the items you've used, it can remember the monsters you killed.) Luckily, the creators understood this so you rarely have to backtrack, and there aren't a lot of branching paths. Of course it's also annoying that if you pass by ammo and health because you're full (you can't take any health restorers with you), you don't want to wade through the respawned monsters to get them if you had gotten hurt. So if you leave stuff behind, you're not going back for them.

So in conclusion. I like it.

And to answer Deku's question. I'd say imagine silent hill games on the hard combat mode but with really good controls. There doesn't seem to be much more combat than other survival horror games, it's just that combat isn't as umm cumbersome as it is in most.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am going to see if Eb has this tomorrow. I will also pick up the 3rd Phoenix Wright and probably Zack and Wiki (all of these titles weren't at Best Buy for whatever reason).

Mejilan

Well, to all of those that I inadvertently convinced to get the game, I hope you won't be burned. I'm really digging it now. Chapter 4 is quite a bit meatier than the ones that came before, now that new weapons and enemy types are getting introduced. And even some branching paths.

Wow, this got me pumped.

and i hope it sells briskly, or atleast ok, but i dont have much hope. Support Gamecock's awesome games, you fools!

Galactic Fork

Well I beat it. The final boss is a huge pain in the ass. The story never did really pick up as much as I had hoped, which is disappointing (and the ending kinda sucked). BUT it took me about 7 and a half hours to beat officially, but i probably spent between 10 and 11 hours on it total. But I still enjoyed it while I played it. Soo the lack of story didn't ruin it.

If the story was better I'd give it more than an 8. As it is, I can't decide if it was a 7.5 or an 8. Worth the buy though.

Oh, and if anyone's curious, the number of chapters in the game is
----16----

fernoca

Didn;t expected this game to get this much praise..
Good to see overall great word of mouth and good reviews all over the place.. :)

Will get it soon..when I have a DS lite....again... :(

Mejilan

I've settled on the game's best feature:
Displaying the Gamecock logo upon boot up. Insta-win.

This cannot be argued.

Edit - Oh, this is interesting. I reloaded Chapter 4, and just for the hell of it, turned around and tried to exit via Chapter 3's final door. The game allowed me to go back! Of course, I heard the Shriekers and beat it back to the beginning of Chapter 4 again. Hahaha.

madara

Its fairly decent title so far if you remember this on a handheld and not console horror game. Part of it lost on me as I have the volume on DS cracked to max and still I dont hear that much. I played for 30mins and got to Chapter 3, as long there is alot chapters and it not some ultra short horror game I could see it be worth $30 for diehard horror fans. I actually vomited playing this game this morning. I forgot all that grainy same looking stuff from PS1 era combined with FP engine makes me nauseous and I didnt stop in time. :lol

Mejilan

The chapters number well into the double digits, for what its worth. Also, headphones.

Fady K

Interesting impressions so far. Being the horror gaming freak that I am, this seems like a buy. Hows the story? Also, is it purely an FPS or is there exploration and a healthy amount of puzzles?

M3d10n

Just played a bit of it on a friend's DS. The controls are amazingly solid, I absolutely love how the character's hand isn't glued to the camera as in most FPS games. Doom3's flashlight looks like a decal plastered on the screen by comparison.

I was also surprised to see that it runs at solid 60fps. The videos on the internet made me think it was going to run at 20 or 30fps. Nice surprise. If the DS had bilinear filtering, this could almost pass as a Dreamcast game.

Also, the game's cutscenes are actually videos, but they are done using the game's assets so it doesn't hampers the visuals' consistency. I only noticed they weren't real time when setting the DS Lite brightness to the max (do NOT do this! Game looks much better in the darker settings).

Will buy as soon as possible.

hclflow

Wow, what an unexpected gem for the DS. This game's got it in all the right places. Game engine is impressive, the lighting tricks are top-notch, and it's bleeding with atmosphere. The control is very smooth, as well.

Overall, this game is filled with all the love and little touches you'd expect from a premier developer with a budget to boot. It's refreshing to see an indie developer put out such a polished DS game.

Protip: Do not play this without headphones.

Mejilan

Almost done replaying Chapter 4 since I somehow totally missed finding the map of this floor/building, and thus wasn't confident that I had explored everything. Also, I wanted to refight the boss. :)

Galactic Fork

Fady K said:
Interesting impressions so far. Being the horror gaming freak that I am, this seems like a buy. Hows the story? Also, is it purely an FPS or is there exploration and a healthy amount of puzzles?

Story is its weakest link. Things happen, but it's all rather shallow and undeveloped. And the ending pissed me off. At least I was still proud of myself for beating the final boss after several tries.

There is some exploration later in the game, and the more explory parts tend to tone down the enemies. Most of the puzzles were decent, a bit too straight forward though.

Top Bottom