• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

Side note Oculus is going to be left in the dust. I have no idea why anyone would choose Oculus over Vive if they had a capable PC. And everyone else is going to grab PSVR.

My bet is Oculus goes to MS and let's them sell their Headset for Scorpio and so the circle of VR headsets is complete.

BlondeTuna

Just tried eve Valkyrie. Looks really rough. Sensation of immersion dissipated really quick. Not ready to fulfill vr dreams. Might cancel preorder I don't know

The VR sensation for me hit when I followed an enemy ship above me using my head, then proceeded to pilot the ship in the direction I was looking, doing a barrel roll, and then getting dizziness / vertigo. At that moment, all I could think was "whoa."

Jon

Tried this yesterday at my local Best Buy. I was blown away. This was my first ever experience with VR, in any capacity. I tried the Battle Zone demo (I was nervous I would get nauseous if I jumped right into the Eve demo), and it was incredible. I immediately forgot I was sitting in a Best Buy and felt part of this world. There was no edge to the display, so it just felt completely immersive. I didn't get any sensation of motion sickness and the whole thing felt very smooth. The headset itself was very comfortable and not bulky or heavy on my face. I still don't think I can buy this thing, it's tempting...but I can see myself buying future iterations as the technology improves.

What an amazing experience.

Z3M0G

When I played Eve I was looking left, right, up and all around trying acquire new targets and see what was around me. But yeah if you just look straight the whole time you're not going to get much out of VR. I think it may be something people will have to teach themselves how to do, after playing traditional video games all their lives.
Does the game do nothing to encourage this? From impressions it does indeed sound very non-accessible.

Does the game do nothing to encourage this? From impressions it does indeed sound very non-accessible.

Lol they don't even tell you the controls. One of the best features of Valkyrie is the fact that you can track enemies with your head and fire missiles at them with L2. Of course they don't tell you this, so most people who play Eve just look straight ahead and walk away disappointed with the experience.

Battlezone >>> Eve

It feels like you're really in the game. During The Descent there is a point where the shark attacks the bottom part of the cage and my instinctive reaction was to raise my feet off the floor to keep it from biting my legs off.

I never tried this but I tried the Vive at E3 in the Doom demo.

In the 2nd level I was up high on this tiny platform up really high where I could barely move, I was locked I was terrified to even turn around for the fear of slipping off lol. It was so immersive it was scary.

I doubt you get that feeling with a screen wrapped around your head ha.

Hope it helps
I really appreciate these impressions. That's insane. I almost feel like I want to just wait until I get it in my home to have that first experience and see first hand what you guys are telling me about.

DavidDesu

Battlezone has one of if not the best tutorial I have ever played.

This thread has definitely put me off getting Eve at launch and made me sure I'll be buying Battlezone. It's not that I don't want a space flight sort of game, but it never did look all that great. Overly hectic, kind of crappy ship design. Feels very generic, like it could be some iPad game if you know what I mean. I'll save my first space flight experience for that X-Wing mission. Oh boy, literally dream come true material.

Speaking of which we need a full on Star Wars vehicle game. Speeder bike chase like in Battlefront would be terrifying but so satisfying. Give it to me now!

Great impressions from many. I know this will be a much cooler experience than my Gear VR so I know what to expect in terms of visuals but the experience sounds so much better with full positional tracking and proper tracked controller like the DS4 and Move. Can't wait.

Just tried eve Valkyrie. Looks really rough. Sensation of immersion dissipated really quick. Not ready to fulfill vr dreams. Might cancel preorder I don't know
I'm surprised, I thought it looked terrific. Maybe your headset wasn't on right. I know with the Gea VR I have to adjust it for a little bit before I hit the 'sweet spot.'

Burglekutt

From my experience eve valkyrie was amazing up to the point you launched and first saw you were part of a large fleet of ships. After that, it was just ok. I really recomend either trying Battlezone or The Descent before you cancel.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just tried PSVR for the first time on a tech show in Paris (it was the diving demo, with the shark). It was fine, but I wasn't floored. It does what you expect it to do, but basically still the same technology I tried in the late 90s (only less bulky, with nicer graphics and probably one tenth of the price :D).
I used to try the 90s VR helmets, and I think you must have forgotten what they were like. The biggest two differences between this and them is the latency and the FOV. 90s helmets updated seemingly whenever they felt like after you moved your head, and the FOV was stupidly small. Even the Google cardboard is infinitely better than them.

The Chef

Just had my very first VR experience yesterday at Best Buy.
The Best Buy dude told me about all the game options and suggested the "fan favorite" which was Valkarie. Man, when that booted up and I started looking around, seeing my body in vr and the control panels. WOW what a trip.

There is this moment in the demo where your sitting in your spacecraft and all the lights turn on inside the docking bay your in. The sense of scale was so awesome. I absolutely got chills from it.

I didn't find the game to be very fun but it was a pretty amazing demo. At first I was just looking forward for the most part, but slowly adjusted to looking around to find enemy ships around me which felt pretty natural. There was only one moment when I was looking up while boosting upwards where I got a little light headed. Not nauseated.

Overall such a great first experience. I wanted to try the underwater one but a decent line had formed during my play time.

They finally put up Canadian locations(But only on the US site not the en-ca one :lol)

I want to know where they plan to find the room to demo anything in the Kitchener location, let alone the line of people to try it.

That's great news, there were like 6 people asking for Canadian locations in this thread.

Kyolux

This saturday in Nepean and 2 weeks later closer to me.

Guess I'll see if my friend wants to drive down there with me this week-end.

On Saturday I got to try PSVR at a Best Buy near me. I chose Eve Valkyrie and found it incredibly underwhelming. It was cool to look around the cockpit, but after the wow factor of that wore off I didn't get the sense that the experience was very immersive. I came away feeling it wouldn't be much better than playing the game on my TV and definitely not worth the investment. I thanked the very kind rep for the demo and was somewhat disillusioned. I have a PSVR on pre-order and I thought "Well, that's that--I'm canceling." After she tried Ocean Descent and loved it my wife encouraged me to try it again so since there was no one else waiting I asked to try Battle Zone. I'm glad I followed her suggestion because the experience of looking around in Battle Zone while I was moving completely made me forget I was in a Best Buy store. Moving, accelerating and making decisions about what I was going to do next while at the same time being able to look behind me, above me and all around me was totally immersive. The views PSVR made possible actually made a difference to how I played the game and what I did next. Hearing a shot from my rear left--and then looking to my left to see what it was--had me feeling like a kid the first time I saw Tron in the theater. I can't really explain what it felt like to physically look over my shoulder to see tanks shooting at me while I was on the run and then at the same time look forward and up to see flying crafts shooting down at me all while I was blasting targets, strafing left and right, etc. I could have played that demo all day. The Battle Zone demo sold me on my decision to keep my pre-order and is seriously making me consider trading in my PS4 for credit towards the Neo. This really is the VR experience I've wanted all along: make me feel like I'm really somewhere else and make a difference to how I play in a way that cannot be experienced otherwise. I'm sold.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What does he mean when he says brief? 30 minutes at a time or just 4 hour games, instead of 12 hour games?
I think both will be demonstrated on PSVR because devs have different visions, but in context, Andrew is probably talking about shorter games in general. Or at least games that have shorter designed sessions, you can easily pick up and put down.

Capcom for example probably doesn’t recommend you play the game all the way through in VR.

____

I was in Best Buy looking at 4K displays, and ran across this....

1 guy in the seat, 1 guy in front of me in line....so I decided to wait a few mins.

The guy in the seat was almost done and when he took off the headset, he looked at the rest of us staring him in the face for his reaction. And he just said: "GAHBAGE...... GAHBAGE!" as he walked off.

I decided not to try it (although, I wanted to.....BAD) since I don't want to have my hype killed, and just wait until it's in my hands (have it pre-ordered)

A side note about my PSVR experience which might be of interest to some: I live with a vision condition called "monocular diplopia" which is double vision in one eye. As a result my eyes see independently of one another and don't form a single image so in addition to slight double vision in my left eye I have offset double vision all the time with no depth perception. Due to this I cannot see the 3D effect in movies or games and I have extremely limited depth perception. I wear corrective lenses with a lot of correction but with extra correction on my left eye. When I played Eve Valkyrie I told the rep "It's blurry" so he adjusted the headset out as far as it would go but my left eye view never went into focus. Because the headset was so far away from my face light came in around the edges and caused me to see the reflection of my glasses on the screens inside the headset which was awful. Interestingly this wasn't a problem at all with Battle Zone. In fact, the headset needed to be closer to my face and the peripheral light wasn't an issue either.

On Saturday I got to try PSVR at a Best Buy near me. I chose Eve Valkyrie and found it incredibly underwhelming. It was cool to look around the cockpit, but after the wow factor of that wore off I didn't get the sense that the experience was very immersive. I came away feeling it wouldn't be much better than playing the game on my TV and definitely not worth the investment. I thanked the very kind rep for the demo and was somewhat disillusioned. I have a PSVR on pre-order and I thought "Well, that's that--I'm canceling." After she tried Ocean Descent and loved it my wife encouraged me to try it again so since there was no one else waiting I asked to try Battle Zone. I'm glad I followed her suggestion because the experience of looking around in Battle Zone while I was moving completely made me forget I was in a Best Buy store. Moving, accelerating and making decisions about what I was going to do next while at the same time being able to look behind me, above me and all around me was totally immersive. The views PSVR made possible actually made a difference to how I played the game and what I did next. Hearing a shot from my rear left--and then looking to my left to see what it was--had me feeling like a kid the first time I saw Tron in the theater. I can't really explain what it felt like to physically look over my shoulder to see tanks shooting at me while I was on the run and then at the same time look forward and up to see flying crafts shooting down at me all while I was blasting targets, strafing left and right, etc. I could have played that demo all day. The Battle Zone demo sold me on my decision to keep my pre-order and is seriously making me consider trading in my PS4 for credit towards the Neo. This really is the VR experience I've wanted all along: make me feel like I'm really somewhere else and make a difference to how I play in a way that cannot be experienced otherwise. I'm sold.

Hahah this is a great story. It also perfectly underscores my point that the Battlezone demo is so much better than Eve. Everyone assumes Eve is amazing because it looks cool and the concept is sound (I definitely thought this as well). I also experienced what you said about forgetting you were in Best Buy. It was so crazy.

1 guy in the seat, 1 guy in front of me in line....so I decided to wait a few mins.

The guy in the seat was almost done and when he took off the headset, he looked at the rest of us staring him in the face for his reaction. And he just said: "GAHBAGE...... GAHBAGE!" as he walked off.

I decided not to try it (although, I wanted to.....BAD) since I don't want to have my hype killed, and just wait until it's in my hands (have it pre-ordered)

I'm guessing three things could have happened here.

1. The headset was not adjusted to the sweet spot and thus was blurry.
2. He played Eve Valkyrie and was unimpressed.
3. He was unimpressed with the graphical fidelity. But it would be so hyperbolic to call the headset garbage because of this though. You only notice it for about 5 seconds and then it literally doesn't matter. You're immersed in the world.

I guarantee that it'll be hard to disappoint you if you have the headset adjusted properly, pick Battlezone, and hold the DS4 up in front of you (as well as lean into the tank cockpit around you).

Doing those things gave me a truly amazing experience when I tried it.

lol...what? Dude try it for yourself!

And Eve is getting bad impressions across the board, try Battlezone.

Hahah this is a great story. It also perfectly underscores my point that the Battlezone demo is so much better than Eve. Everyone assumes Eve is amazing because it looks cool and the concept is sound (I definitely thought this as well). I also experienced what you said about forgetting you were in Best Buy. It was so crazy.

Seriously! Battle Zone and The Descent(Ocean shark Demo) really shows the capability of PSVR. Fantastic experiences.

majik13

what are you supposed to do about the PSVR looking blurry?

I experienced this a bunch when I tried it out

Make sure the lenses are thoroughly cleaned. Lenses can easily get oily or smudge everytime the headset is removed or put on.

Also make sure your eyes are centered on the lenses. There is a sweet spot. So adjust the headset up and down.

Shame EVE is sounding bad - but Battlezone is sounding awesome!

I think people are really underestimating battlezone. The game will launch with a always changing procedurally-generated campaign and multiplayer.

From the PS Store:

Navigate a thrilling procedurally-generated campaign, in which dozens of environments, levels and missions types are blended together. With each playthrough you unlock more munitions, increasing the pool of weapons and special equipment. Maps, missions and your weaponry change radically with each attempt. No two playthroughs will ever be the same.

1 player
Network Players 2-4
DUALSHOCK®4
1080p HD Video Output
PlayStation®VR Required

KooopaKid

Banned
Positive impressions overall but most are just touting the visual wow factor of the first 10 minutes. Visual wow factor alone dies pretty quickly in my experience, only the real content holds up.

I'm surprised EVE is getting so much flak. When I tried the demo at BB I thought it was awesome. I was doing loops and barrel rolls and blowing up dudes' ships and I thought it looked great too.

Wollan

EVE is one of the bigger disappointments on the PC VR side. Receiving average/mediocre reviews. It's not 'broken' or anything... just muddy and boring really.

StaSeb

Nope it's probably not out of the tradeshow/store demo it's probably at a default IPD. When you are at home when you first start, just think of setting up your PS4 Camera to log you in with facial recognition, so the PSVR will have your profile built in through software and adjust the IPD to you each and everytime you use it or it may vary from game to game. I just think a lot of people don't realize this when they are giving impressions and fail to realize that the IPD is more than likely not ideal for use, when you playing these games. Maybe that blurry text or texture is a bit better when the HMD is tailored to you instead of a random number.

If I remember the GDC talk correctly, you can set up and save your personal IPD to your user-account on the console.

Positive impressions overall but most are just touting the visual wow factor of the first 10 minutes. Visual wow factor alone dies pretty quickly in my experience, only the real content holds up.

Come on dude, you've been unsucessfully trying to shit on VR for a while now and sooner or later you need to realize you're wrong about it.

It is as good as everyone says it is and there's a reason so many thousands of people speak so highly of it.

Want to know what that reason is?

It's because it genuinely is as mindblowing as everyone says it is.

It's embarrassing how often you go out of your way to try to validate your incorrect view that VR has no future just because you so badly want it to be true.

VR is awesome and the more people that actually try it out the more people that you see agreeing that it's legit no matter how badly you want VR to fail.

You made this absurd thread about why you want it to fail and not even a year later all your points have already been proven wrong:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167680

Lemondish

I'm surprised EVE is getting so much flak. When I tried the demo at BB I thought it was awesome. I was doing loops and barrel rolls and blowing up dudes' ships and I thought it looked great too.

In surprised as well. My girlfriend and I very much enjoyed it. Sold me on the product.

Looking forward to playing the rest of these games now.

EVE seems hit or miss on impressions. My buddy and I both got to play EVE twice at PSX. He tried it first and thought it was awesome. I thought is was meh, only better than a couple of low budget demos I also tried on the non-main show floor. Horrible aliasing, and slow/dull gameplay. But I don't remember if I knew how to boost. I also played Headmaster at PSX, which is one of the demos at BB, and thought it was a much better VR experience.

Suprisingly the most impressive demo I played was the Playroom VR mini-game of cat-and-mouse. I felt like I was actually inside the pantry looking around. It was amazing. I'm surprised Sony don't demo the Playroom VR collection more widely.

bastardly

The problem with the eve demo is there is no tutorial or whatever to teach you the basics like boost or lock on, so it's a pretty slow demo where you look straight forward most of the time if you're actually trying to play.

Anywho I tried out the psvr this past weekend and have messed with oculus, the screen resolution on both were pretty comparable, but like someone earlier said there is a like a dirtiness or unevenness to the display when you're looking at large solid colors or whatnot, during gameplay everything looked fine. Slight screendoor effect, but once you're in a game it goes away for the most part, super comfortable, and didnt get motion sick, did get a little vertigo when i did a few barrel rolls.

I walked away somewhat disappointed, maybe it was the shitty eve demo. I'm gonna try it again this weekend with another demo. So far the most immersive vr experience I've had was the samsung gear vr fake rollercoaster at e3, shit felt pretty damn real, but that's not a fair comparison.

I'm sorta surprised that people are so unimpressed with EVE. I think it's a lot of fun on the Oculus, from a pure experience perspective. I don't play it quite so much because it doesn't seem to have a true story mode and it's bogged down by grindy unlocks. But that's not the kinda stuff that would be apparent in a demo.

KooopaKid

Banned
Come on dude, you've been unsucessfully trying to shit on VR for a while now and sooner or later you need to realize you're wrong about it.

It is as good as everyone says it is and there's a reason so many thousands of people speak so highly of it.

Want to know what that reason is?

It's because it genuinely is as mindblowing as everyone says it is.

It's embarrassing how often you go out of your way to try to validate your incorrect view that VR has no future just because you so badly want it to be true.

VR is awesome and the more people that actually try it out the more people that you see agreeing that it's legit no matter how badly you want VR to fail.

You made this absurd thread about why you want it to fail and not even a year later all your points have already been proven wrong:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167680

And you go out of your way to do just the opposite. "thousands of people"? Mostly enthusiasts. I don't care if VR fails or not, I just think it's not going to be popular in the mainstream that's it and all the positive impressions being systematically pretty superficial and moments after the initial "wow" factor are telling me the lasting appeal might not be there. My doubts are still valid. I'm more interested by opinions of people having tried VR several times, not the OMG it was awesome! after a 10 minutes session without any reserve or long term perspective. Do you allow me to have this opinion and make this comment on this forum?

The problem with the eve demo is there is no tutorial or whatever to teach you the basics like boost or lock on, so it's a pretty slow demo where you look straight forward most of the time if you're actually trying to play.
I figured out the controls quickly myself but I can see how some people might not have, especially people who don't play flight sims (it was pretty much Ace Combat in space). But I don't understand the looking around straight ahead part. You're in a cockpit where you can freely look left, right and up and there are objects to avoid and enemies to acquire. I was moving my head all over the place.

Top Bottom