• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

mortal

Gold Member
If it’s a capable team they could implement it.
i will try demon’s soul because it’s the only exclusive that interest me.
i am preparing myself to the torture it will be.
i am only interested by the universe , the atmosphere.
i would prefer an easy mode too.
not A walking simulator mode, just an easier mode.
I wouldn't even call it "torture" though, that's just straight up unappealing lol.
The core appeal of these game is the challenge they present the player, and the sense of accomplishment from understanding and overcoming the challenges.
This is embedded in the enemy AI, the level design, and even extends to the character builds the player uses. FromSofware provides the player myriad of options in how to overcome those challenges.
Bluepoint could certainly slap on an easy mode and call it a day, but it would only cheapen and undermine that unique experience.

The nice atmosphere and lore is really just icing on the cake. Just look at all of Soulsborne imitators that've been created this past gen. They all copy the superficial elements of the Soulsborne games, but never really come close to capturing that same experience.

Last edited:
Maybe, eventually, it really will come to PC. You can make it easier with trainers if that happens. Until then, stop acting like you’ll die without (any of) the Soulsborne games. There are way too many games out there for everyone to be constantly hung up on the one franchise they can’t commit to enough to get through.

edit: I personally think there should be an easy mode that makes the player wear a diaper over their outfit.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Stop with this "entitled" bullshit, fucking hell, why is everything these days so "this or that". Oh you like this, you must be entitled, oh you like that, you must be a zoomer etc etc Christ its wearing a bit thin. There's been hard games in the past, there's been easy games in the past. Having an OPTION does not take away anything from your experience, just ignore the fucking easy option.

Yes, an easy option will mean topics like "Omg Dark Souls is so hard" wont appear and you wont be able to spout the usual "Git gud" or "play. something. else" whilst sitting with a semi-on.

No wonder this "community" is such a cancer.

So because I like playing TLOU on Grounded, normal or easy shouldn't exist???

And they talk about entitlement?!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Stop with this "entitled" bullshit, fucking hell, why is everything these days so "this or that". Oh you like this, you must be entitled, oh you like that, you must be a zoomer etc etc Christ its wearing a bit thin. There's been hard games in the past, there's been easy games in the past. Having an OPTION does not take away anything from your experience, just ignore the fucking easy option.

Yes, an easy option will mean topics like "Omg Dark Souls is so hard" wont appear and you wont be able to spout the usual "Git gud" or "play. something. else" whilst sitting with a semi-on.

Or you could... you know... play a different game? Because there are a lot out there, you know.

I don’t play FPS shooters because I’m too slow these days to be good at them. But I just let others enjoy them, instead of moaning about how they’re too fast for me, and should be slowed down. I just play a different game. I leave people to enjoy those games, while I enjoy something else.

Can’t you just do the same?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Then I suppose I was mistaken thinking there was more to Demon's Souls than it simply being a difficult game to play. And I don't always need a cinematic narrative to enjoy a game's story. Collecting items and doing some reading as you progress throughout the levels are perfectly fine, as opposed to watching someone's YouTube videos because the developer made it hard to uncover these things. Resident Evil games are great because you can read up more on the story/lore through journal entries and notes but they're also not difficult to uncover while playing and I appreciate that.

Yeah. Souls probably isn’t for you. And there really is nothing wrong with that. We don’t all have to like and play the sane games!

The_Dama

Jokes on Sony, instead of only selling 2 million copies of the game, they could be selling 2,000,001 copies. I will go back to Fortnite, it has easy to kill bots.

T8SC

Or you could... you know... play a different game? Because there are a lot out there, you know.

I don’t play FPS shooters because I’m too slow these days to be good at them. But I just let others enjoy them, instead of moaning about how they’re too fast for me, and should be slowed down. I just play a different game. I leave people to enjoy those games, while I enjoy something else.

Can’t you just do the same?

Can't you, you know, just play the game on normal and ignore the easy option if it was on the menu screen?

Also FPS shooters at least let the player speed up or slow down the aiming, offer aim assist, invert the controls etc etc you don't need to use these, they are "options" to help those who need the little bit of help whether its because they're too slow or whatever.

Couldn't you just ignore the easy option? It wouldnt affect your gaming experience whatsoever. The ONLY affect it'd have, is the purists wouldn't be able to spout their "git gud" crap cos people would be able to play the game on an easier setting.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can't you, you know, just play the game on normal and ignore the easy option if it was on the menu screen?

Also FPS shooters at least let the player speed up or slow down the aiming, offer aim assist, invert the controls etc etc you don't need to use these, they are "options" to help those who need the little bit of help whether its because they're too slow or whatever.

Couldn't you just ignore the easy option? It wouldnt affect your gaming experience whatsoever. The ONLY affect it'd have, is the purists wouldn't be able to spout their "git gud" crap cos people would be able to play the game on an easier setting.

No. I doubt I could ignore it... and neither could a vast majority of Souls fans, because they are hard games. But that takes away all of the sense of triumph and accomplishment you get when you do overcome a hard boss. It’s the most visceral reaction I’ve ever had to a game. I don’t know why you’d want to take that away from people. Why not actually try playing a Souls game? Bloodborne is the most accessible.

T8SC

No. I doubt I could ignore it... and neither could a vast majority of Souls fans, because they are hard games. But that takes away all of the sense of triumph and accomplishment you get when you do overcome a hard boss. It’s the most visceral reaction I’ve ever had to a game. I don’t know why you’d want to take that away from people. Why not actually try playing a Souls game? Bloodborne is the most accessible.

That makes no sense.

So basically, you don't want an easy option because you yourself wouldn't be able to control your ability to not select easy?

Nothing is taken away from anyone, its an "option" ... you don't have to select it. Have some self control and select the normal difficulty to get your sense of achievement and accomplishment.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
hqdefault.jpg

Keihart

The lack of understanding about game mechanics and claiming that difficulty options are just options it's kinda sad to read coming from a forum where i'm sure most people had spend countless hours gaming.
Difficulty in games it's not only managed by a menu option, the best ones have it embedded in the game itself and how you play, Souls games are one of those, if you can't egange at least little with the game to discover those, than maybe you don't like the game as much as you claim you do.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That makes no sense.

So basically, you don't want an easy option because you yourself wouldn't be able to control your ability to not select easy?

Nothing is taken away from anyone, its an "option" ... you don't have to select it. Have some self control and select the normal difficulty to get your sense of achievement and accomplishment.

You see, you’re talking like someone who’s never played one of these games, so it’s hard to converse about them properly. You don’t know how hard they can get, and how tempting an easy mode would be to slide into. But the beauty of the Souls games is because there is no easy mode, you are forced to get better... and you always do. They are beautifully balanced games. Masterpieces of rewarding thoughtfulness and concentration.

Seriously, go play Bloodborne, or Dark Souls. Get to know how they work, how the gameplay functions, how perseverance is rewarded.

Last edited:
While I'm not against any game having an easy mode, it does go against the ethos of the Souls series to have an easy mode. Sometimes there's a piece of art that will only ever be appreciated by a select group of people. The Souls series is not for everyone. If you want to be part of something like this, than you need to put your nose to the grindstone like many have.

Nehezir

Banned
I can't answer whether or not I'd lower the difficulty. I don't know.

I know I've never wished for one or quit the game because of the difficulty though.

T8SC

You see, you’re talking like someone who’s never played one of these games, so it’s hard to converse about them properly. You don’t know how hard they can get, and how tempting an easy mode would be to slide into. But the beauty of the Souls games is because there is no easy mode, you are forced to get better... and you always do. They are beautifully balanced games.

Seriously, go play Bloodborne, or Dark Souls. Get to know how they work, how the gameplay functions, how perseverance is rewarded.

I've played all but Bloodborne (Demons & Dark 1-3).

If they are beautifully balanced and you get this sense of achievement, why would you reduce the difficulty? Thats counter-productive to your wants & needs from this game series. Hard or not, seems you want the achievement of finishing it "normally" ... so do it. Self control.

You see, you’re talking like someone who’s never played one of these games, so it’s hard to converse about them properly. You don’t know how hard they can get, and how tempting an easy mode would be to slide into. But the beauty of the Souls games is because there is no easy mode, you are forced to get better... and you always do. They are beautifully balanced games. Masterpieces of rewarding thoughtfulness and concentration.

A Souls game with an easy mode simply would not be fun. Period. The difficulty is completely intertwined with game play. You make it easier and you would simply not enjoy the game. You really can't say that about any other franchise. There's literally no accessibility in the Souls series. It's purposely obtuse.

carlosrox

Banned
It was so balanced when I was wiping my Switch, accidentally hit the trigger, and attacked a Blacksmith I pretty much needed for the next area in DS1.

It was so balanced that I needed to earn a ton of souls just to fix that simple, honest mistake I made.

Ruined the game I was enjoying and said fuck it I quit after that.

Expecting me to do a ton of sidetracking just to earn the right to get that NPC back is idiotic design.

Goncas2

Because we’d all use it. Which ruins the experience From Software intend.

They only people who think having an easy mode in a Souls game would be easy to ignore are people who have never played a Souls game much.

So you don't have any kind of self-control? Celeste has an easy mode and I never considered using it even after my 3000th death.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I've played all but Bloodborne (Demons & Dark 1-3).

If they are beautifully balanced and you get this sense of achievement, why would you reduce the difficulty? Thats counter-productive to your wants & needs from this game series. Hard or not, seems you want the achievement of finishing it "normally" ... so do it. Self control.

Sorry, I do not believe for a second you’ve played through the entire Souls series, and have come out the other side thinking they need to be easier. I believe you might have tried them, and put them down pretty quickly because you didn’t get on with them, but anyone who’s played right through them knows how well designed they are, and how the difficulty is intrinsic to their popularity.

Reactions: 888

bender

What time is it?
No wonder this "community" is such a cancer.

So because I like playing TLOU on Grounded, normal or easy shouldn't exist???

And they talk about entitlement?!

TLOU is designed with difficulty settings in mind. That's great. The accessibility options they've added are commendable. That doesn't mean every game needs to follow the same design principles. Time and resources aren't infinite and guiding principles vary. I love From Software games. Sekiro is too difficult for me. I've never once thought the game should be changed. It's just not for me and I moved on.

Speaking of moving on, if you think this "community is such cancer", do so or work to improve it. Opposing viewpoints are fine.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It was so balanced when I was wiping my Switch, accidentally hit the trigger, and attacked a Blacksmith I pretty much needed for the next area in DS1.

It was so balanced that I needed to earn a ton of souls just to fix that simple, honest mistake I made.

Ruined the game I was enjoying and said fuck it I quit after that.

Expecting me to do a ton of sidetracking just to earn the right to get that NPC back is idiotic design.

Ah. So YOU made a silly, clumsy mistake, and it’s the game that’s to blame.

Jesus. You Souls haters are all the same 😂

Last edited:

T8SC

Sorry, I do not believe for a second you’ve played through the entire Souls series, and have come out the other side thinking they need to be easier. I believe you might have tried them, and put them down pretty quickly because you didn’t get on with them, but anyone who’s played right through them knows how well designed they are, and how the difficulty is intrinsic to their popularity.

Ok so keep the difficulty on Normal and continue to enjoy how well they are designed and their difficulty.

Meanwhile, let the rest of the people who want to try the series have an easy option. This does not affect you or your experience playing the game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ok so keep the difficulty on Normal and continue to enjoy how well they are designed and their difficulty.

Meanwhile, let the rest of the people who want to try the series have an easy option. This does not affect you or your experience playing the game.

Yeah, you’ve never actually played through them, have you? 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 888

T8SC

Yeah, you’ve never actually played them, have you? 😂

Want a photo of each of the PS3 & PS4 boxes? Maybe I'll include a little note on paper next to the boxes so you know its not a Google image?

I also have Bloodborne too but I've not had chance to start it as I've got a backlog of other games that are less "repeating".

bender

What time is it?
Want a photo of each of the PS3 & PS4 boxes? Maybe I'll include a little note on paper next to the boxes so you know its not a Google image?

I also have Bloodborne too but I've not had chance to start it as I've got a backlog of other games that are less "repeating".

The core design concept of souls games is that you learn by dying. That's why early on, reaching every bonfire is an accomplishment not to mention taking down the bosses. As you play the series, they get much easier as your learn the tricks that From incorporates to kill you.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

So, you got to Taurus Demon and stopped. You stopped Demon’s Souls after the tutorial. You couldn’t get past Heide’s Tower, and Iudex Grundyr killed you over and over until you quit.

I get it. They’re hard. You want an easy mode. It’s not rocket science.

I‘m done with this. I’ll never convince you of the value of these games as they stand. You won’t be happy with them until you can get past Taurus in two hits, and have lots more health and stamina from the start. I just hope From Software never listen to folks like you, so those of us that do love these games for what they are, are allowed to continue doing so.

Just watch this...

Last edited:

T8SC

The core design concept of souls games is that you learn by dying. That's why early on, reaching every bonfire is an accomplishment not to mention taking down the bosses. As you play the series, they get much easier as your learn the tricks that From incorporates to kill you.

Ok but what would adding an Easy mode take away?

The people who like to die over & over and have the time to do so, can play on "Normal" and those who are more casual can play on easy and have either more health, or take less damage or have less enemies to encounter or whatever.

But it seems the purists dont want casuals to finish the game cos it removes their ability to say "git gud" over & over.

T8SC

So, you got to Taurus Demon and stopped. You stopped Demon’s Souls after the tutorial. You couldn’t get past Heide’s Tower, and Iudex Grundyr killed you over and over until you quit.

I get it. They’re hard. You want an easy mode. It’s not rocket science.

I‘m done with this. I’ll never convince you of the value of these games as they stand.

You're full of assumptions aren't you?

Most of your posts have been assumptions, sorry to piss on your bonfire (pun intended) but the only reason purists dont want an easy mode, is cos then they wont be able to spout "Git Gud" and the other crap to casuals on Internet forums whilst sporting a semi.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You're full of assumptions aren't you?

Most of your posts have been assumptions, sorry to piss on your bonfire (pun intended) but the only reason purists dont want an easy mode, is cos then they wont be able to spout "Git Gud" and the other crap to casuals on Internet forums whilst sporting a semi.

They’re assumptions based on your opinions, which sound to me like the opinion of someone who hasn’t played these games hardly at all.

But, as I say, I’m done trying to convince you of the value these games have as they are. Feel free to take this up with another Souls fan if they want to engage with you.

bender

What time is it?
Ok but what would adding an Easy mode take away?

The people who like to die over & over and have the time to do so, can play on "Normal" and those who are more casual can play on easy and have either more health, or take less damage or have less enemies to encounter or whatever.

But it seems the purists dont want casuals to finish the game cos it removes their ability to say "git gud" over & over.

I'm not purist and I don't judge someone by their ability to finish a video game (I'm mostly terrible at the games I play). You are asking From to change a core design principle and assuming they have the time and resources to implement it properly. If the game play loop doesn't suit you, why not just move on? There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Most of these games are on PC anyway, so you can always use cheat engine to your heart's desire.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not a hater, try again.

But that level of punishment over a simple mistake is fucking dumb.

Quit dick riding dumb design.

Souls fanboys are all the same.

You think It’s dumb design to have it that your player character can kill or aggro every npc in the game. I would disagree, but you feel whatever you want to about it.

T8SC

They’re assumptions based on your opinions, which sound to me like the opinion of someone who hasn’t played these games hardly at all.

But, as I say, I’m done trying to convince you of the value these games have as they are. Feel free to take this up with another Souls fan if they want to engage with you.

Your assumption is incorrect.

The value of these games doesnt change by adding an easy option for more casual gamers. The normal mode provides you with all the deaths you desire.

I'm not purist and I don't judge someone by their ability to finish a video game (I'm mostly terrible at the games I play). You are asking From to change a core design principle and assuming they have the time and resources to implement it properly. If the game play loop doesn't suit you, why not just move on? There are plenty of fish in the sea.

Most of these games are on PC anyway, so you can always use cheat engine to your heart's desire.

Firstly, I'm not "asking" for anything, I'm simply agreeing with the OP.

Secondly, it wouldnt take much to have an easy option that simply has more health, less damage from hits and fewer enemies in areas. It's not a drastic change and is not too different from what they did with SotFS, as I posted several posts back.

Lastly, the fantasy setting genre is slim pickings, so if this game offered more by way of options, perhaps it'd sell more and be more accessible to people. The purists simply dont want casuals to play as it removes their ability to boast about their skillz.

DiegoAndrad

I don't think it's the difficulty that makes Souls games frustrating, it's the low number of check points. It's just annoying to die and have to repeat the last hour of gameplay.

The other night I was playing Metro Last Light and was low on supplies on that section where you get overwhelmed by mutants while waiting for a boat to get to Venice Station. I think I had to try 30 times until I managed to survive and get to the boat. If I had to replay the last hour I'd have given up on the second try.

carlosrox

Banned
You think It’s dumb design to have it that your player character can kill or aggro every npc in the game. I would disagree, but you feel whatever you want to about it.

Having to break the pace, grind, and backtrack to get a ton of souls to fix a simple mistake isn't a shitty idea?

I would have to farm and backtrack numerous times just to get enough souls just to fix that ONE mistake.

Stupid idea.

Last edited:

Self

That's not it, really dude. It's just that the games balance is entirely structured around the difficult encounters and the learning curve.
Every enemy or trap placement is accurately timed and thought through. A easy mode would simply destroy the whole backbone of the souls games.

I always hated it when I killed a Zelda boss on my first playthrough, because Nintendo was adjusting the game difficulty to newbies and casuals.

bender

What time is it?
Firstly, I'm not "asking" for anything, I'm simply agreeing with the OP.

Secondly, it wouldnt take much to have an easy option that simply has more health, less damage from hits and fewer enemies in areas. It's not a drastic change and is not too different from what they did with SotFS, as I posted several posts back.

Lastly, the fantasy setting genre is slim pickings, so if this game offered more by way of options, perhaps it'd sell more and be more accessible to people. The purists simply dont want casuals to play as it removes their ability to boast about their skillz.

Agreeing with the OP in that they are asking for an easy mode is asking for something. Your second sentence also seems to contradict the premise that you aren't asking for something.

Lastly, the game seems to sell just fine and that's largely due to its' core design principles that are centered around being challenging which was something that was sorely missing from the market when the series gained popularity.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
Not a hater, try again.

But that level of punishment over a simple mistake is fucking dumb.

Quit dick riding dumb design.

Souls fanboys are all the same.
what's "dumb" game design about punishing mistakes? At least the game gives you an out.

T8SC

Every enemy or trap placement is accurately timed and thought through. A easy mode would simply destroy the whole backbone of the souls games.

So why was enemy placement, trap placement and many other things changed in Scholar of the First Sin? If it was so accurate the first time around...

Also, good point further up, more check points, again not something hard to include but it'd help having to redo so much of the game/area at each death. Little things like that would make the easy mode. Im not saying Easy Mode would give you an MP5 with unlimited ammo.

T8SC

Agreeing with the OP in that they are asking for an easy mode is asking for something. You second sentence also seems to contradict the premise that you aren't asking for something.

Lastly, the game seems to sell just fine and that's largely due to its' core design principles that are centered around being challenging which was something that was sorely missing from the market when the series gained popularity.

I'm still not asking for anything, I'm simply pointing out that they made changes with SotFS and those changes could be made for any DS remake game ... removing/moving enemies, more checkpoints etc. I'm not "asking" for it, I'm saying its entirely possible and unlike some posts in this topic, it would not require a complete game rebuild. I don't understand why people are against the game having options when it'd still have its core "normal" gameplay available to the purists.

Top Bottom