• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Nyx

Even though I generally suck at games, I have been intrigued by Demon's Souls for quite some time, so I finally bought it today.

Wish me luck. :D

oracrest

Nyx said:
I have been intrigued by Demon's Souls for quite some time

this.png

Shinjitsu

Banned
Nyx said:
Even though I generally suck at games, I have been intrigued by Demon's Souls for quite some time, so I finally bought it today.

Get ready for the best kick in the balls you have ever had.

Infinity

Nyx said:

I think the box cover art of the knight sitting, slightly slumped is very accurate. Even though you can't see his/her face, you can just imagine them looking battleworn and beat up like a rag doll.

panda21

oracrest said:
Your online tendency is influenced by what other people are doing. If you were to deliberately try and bring your world tendency down, I recommend doing it in offline mode so you don't waste items working against the server influence.

oh thats cool, i thought it was entirely down to your game unless atlus did an event. the mmo-lite ness of it is genius.

Infinity said:
I think the box cover art of the knight sitting, slightly slumped is very accurate. Even though you can't see his/her face, you can just imagine them looking battleworn and beat up like a rag doll.
I imagine him/her with wide eyes, as if they're saying "you haven't seen the horrors I've seen....."

LiK

Infinity said:

actually, i think he's dead :)

ACE 1991

dreamer3kx said:
I believe you can transfer any locked saves from one ps3 to another via ethernet just not usb.

This is a real bummer. I have a 4 day fall break (in college) and I was really looking forward to playing some Demon's Souls at my parents house who own a PS3 for bluray and netflix streaming. I was hoping to bring the save file with me.

ACE 1991 said:
This is a real bummer. I have a 4 day fall break (in college) and I was really looking forward to playing some Demon's Souls at my parents house who own a PS3 for bluray and netflix streaming. I was hoping to bring the save file with me.
Can't you just take your PS3 with you?

ACE 1991 said:
I'd rather not have to deal with this, especially since I'm flying, but I may....
Ah, yeah, I can see how that would be a pain since you're flying. But, you have to ask yourself, is that bit of pain worth being able to play Demon's Souls?:D

panda21

wtf i just got invaded by my first player black phantom, near the start of 4-1, and instead of fighting me they just dodged all my magic attacks and ran of into the level and started killing the shit out of stuff and got me a whole load of souls :lol

i ran back to the archstone because i was scared and didnt understand what was going on but thank you sir whoever that was

also makoto just showed up in mine so i guess the pure white is working, for me at least.. (i have the NA game)

wait wtf its saying i cant return during multiplayer?! i dont even know where the guy went. does one of us have to die or something?

Yes, you can't bail when there's a black phantom in your game.

He's helping you out (or setting you up to gain your trust before he kills you); black phantoms can kill monsters, but they'll never be attacked by them, so in that way they can technically help out someone whose game they invaded.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yes, you can't bail when there's a black phantom in your game.

He's helping you out (or setting you up to gain your trust before he kills you); black phantoms can kill monsters, but they'll never be attacked by them, so in that way they can technically help out someone whose game they invaded.

And then when you go to thank him, he tosses you off of a fucking cliff

ACE 1991

Solstice said:
Ah, yeah, I can see how that would be a pain since you're flying. But, you have to ask yourself, is that bit of pain worth being able to play Demon's Souls?:D

Considering that it's Demon's Souls I'm only in for more pain :lol

panda21

fuck that was ridiculous :lol

i went back to see wtf he was doing and guy had literally slaughtered everything in the level leaving me a massive pile of sweet loot and was just standing where the first red eye skeleton is waiting for me.. i collected it all and then went through the fog and he just followed me and did it again, and again.. all the way to the boss. when i got to the boss he left and i just beat the boss :lol

i literally only made my first excursion into 4-1 a few days ago and was scared to go through the main gate because of the weird mini boss thing there

edit:
fuck just looked at my souls - 24403 :D

is there anything awesome i can buy for that much or should i just use it to level? (i'm soul level 32, the most souls i ever had before this was about 6000)

panda21 said:

i went back to see wtf he was doing and guy had literally slaughtered everything in the level leaving me a massive pile of sweet loot and was just standing where the first red eye skeleton is waiting for me.. i collected it all and then went through the fog and he just followed me and did it again, and again.. all the way to the boss. when i got to the boss he left and i just beat the boss :lol

i literally only made my first excursion into 4-1 a few days ago and was scared to go through the main gate because of the weird mini boss thing there

edit:

is there anything awesome i can buy for that much or should i just use it to level? (i'm soul level 32, the most souls i ever had before this was about 6000)
That guy must have been bored. I would have drawn you to the end and shoved a sword in your belly :D

Canova

Banned
panda21 said:

edit:

I say use some to level up, and the rest to upgrade your weapons

That guy must have been bored. I would have drawn you to the end and shoved a sword in your belly

yup me too

Sorry for asking if this is obvious. :/ I can't find it on this thread or the old one.

So I'm in the white world tendency event. I wanted to take care of the gate on 1-1 which I knew would open for white tendency.

Did that, and killed the lady with the crazy axe and all the black phantoms.

Tried to grab the armour at the bottom of the pit but was overburdened. I go to the nexus, drop my gear and come back. The armour at the bottom of the pit is gone. :(

I think maybe it's a glitch so I go to another level. I know that massive sword at the dragon god will be freed up because of white tendency but when I go there, it's also blocked.

Did I do something wrong? It seems like I screwed up the white tendency event?

oracrest

bigdaddygamebot said:
Tried to grab the armour at the bottom of the pit but was overburdened. I go to the nexus, drop my gear and come back. The armour at the bottom of the pit is gone. :(

Yeah, that is gone forever.

there is another way to get that same armor set elsewhere in a playthrough though.

LiK

Yup, once you try picking up something and it drops back its gone if you go to Nexus. But like he said, Brushwood can be obtained elsewhere.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Sorry for asking if this is obvious. :/ I can't find it on this thread or the old one.

So I'm in the white world tendency event. I wanted to take care of the gate on 1-1 which I knew would open for white tendency.

Did that, and killed the lady with the crazy axe and all the black phantoms.

I think maybe it's a glitch so I go to another level. I know that massive sword at the dragon god will be freed up because of white tendency but when I go there, it's also blocked.

Did I do something wrong? It seems like I screwed up the white tendency event?
The same thing would've happened to me, but I had just picked up the burden ring which allowed me to carry both armor sets back to the Nexus. It's too bad the other armor set is female only; it looks pretty awesome.

Thanks for the info, guys. Now I just need to figure out why some levels are white tendency and others aren't. Love the game. It can be just a bit cryptic at times. :D

bigdaddygamebot said:

DS doesn't give a fuck about you.

Maddog

So I just got this game and am loving it so far. I was going through 1-1 and found a sidepath with some obtrusions I broke and was then in a room with a demon looking guy sitting on a chest. I immediately starting attacking him but then I realized he was attempting to talk to me. By then it was too late.

What would he have done had I talked to him?

Dyno

bigdaddygamebot said:
Thanks for the info, guys. Now I just need to figure out why some levels are white tendency and others aren't. Love the game. It can be just a bit cryptic at times. :D

Dude, that Brushwood armour you lost is so fucking heavy that you would probably never wear it. The whole fast run/quick roll style of gameplay dies with that armour. I use to wear just the helmet for the Dudebro effect but eventually I found a more reasonable option. I don't think you lost all that much.

Last night was super-productive. I got the Warding spell and the Soul Ray and even found a Talisman of God for Evactuation. It's really all my character needs!

Maddog said:
So I just got this game and am loving it so far. I was going through 1-1 and found a sidepath with some obtrusions I broke and was then in a room with a demon looking guy sitting on a chest. I immediately starting attacking him but then I realized he was attempting to talk to me. By then it was too late.

He's a merchant. He sells you things. He's not really necessary, but I believe killing him makes your character tendency shift towards black.

Dyno

Maddog said:

So a guy is just sitting around and you start wacking him. That's some serious Post-Traumatic-Stress action going on right there. This game will do that to you! :lol

Dyno said:
So a guy is just sitting around and you start wacking him. That's some serious Post-Traumatic-Stress action going on right there. This game will do that to you! :lol
I can't blame him. If I was in that fucking world, I would try to kill anything that fucking moved! :lol

Dyno

Solstice said:
I can't blame him. If I was in that fucking world, I would try to kill anything that fucking moved! :lol

He's not a vital merchant, I think.

You can't kill the World 2 merchant, he is the guy who will sell you Hardstone and Sharpstone for your weapons right at the archstone. He's too handy.

Don't want to kill Patches from World 3 or Bilge from World 4 either. Those are your arrow guys.

That World 5 filthy woman can go. She has good stuff but that dead baby gives me the creeps. I would totally marry the Once Royal woman in World 3. By marry I mean I would nail her a few times and then complain that she wasn't giving me enough space.

I've been in ghost form for so long... so long...

oracrest

Maddog said:

No worries. I killed Ostrava (the guy who looks like the knight on the cover.) in my first playthrough. I never realized it until my second playthrough that I must have killed him, gotten his armor set, and the key to old king.

Yeah, I think I just assumed he was going to try and kill me. I'm glad in the end, because I really like his armor.

Canova

Banned
Dyno said:

:lol :lol

very true

vehn

I think I dun goof'd (I hope not...). So I did all of the white world tendency events except for finding that girl in 5-2, so I go to 5-2 in body form and stupidly die which I think lowered the white tendency, as I go to the spot where she should be (from looking at the maps online) but she isn't there...

Does it reset back to white tendency tomorrow or something? I could of sworn I died in body form in another world two days ago but that reset to pure white when I checked again today. Also given that I cleared all of world 5 already, I dont know of any other way to raise my world tendency there. Once it goes pure black on the 18th, I think I can only give +6 from killing a BP NPC and those other demons (+3 each). Really hope I don't have to wait until NG+ to try and get it and also hope I get pure white while playing online

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
bigdaddygamebot said:

If you're online, world tendency is determined by the online community as a whole.

oracrest said:
No worries. I killed Ostrava (the guy who looks like the knight on the cover.) in my first playthrough. I never realized it until my second playthrough that I must have killed him, gotten his armor set, and the key to old king.

Yeah, I think I just assumed he was going to try and kill me. I'm glad in the end, because I really like his armor.

I did that too! Actually, I just watched him fight the guards from a ledge thinking it was either a bug, or the world was just a crazy mixed up place. Never occurred to me that I should have actually helped the guy. After he took out the guards, I went and finished him off, ignoring his pleas and confusion. Still hadn't occurred that he wasn't a bad guy. And that was in area 1-1. Such is the world.

Facism

vehn said:
I think I dun goof'd (I hope not...). So I did all of the white world tendency events except for finding that girl in 5-2, so I go to 5-2 in body form and stupidly die which I think lowered the white tendency, as I go to the spot where she should be (from looking at the maps online) but she isn't there...

Does it reset back to white tendency tomorrow or something? I could of sworn I died in body form in another world two days ago but that reset to pure white when I checked again today. Also given that I cleared all of world 5 already, I dont know of any other way to raise my world tendency there. Once it goes pure black on the 18th, I think I can only give +6 from killing a BP NPC and those other demons (+3 each). Really hope I don't have to wait until NG+ to try and get it and also hope I get pure white while playing online

signing out and logging back into the demon's souls server with your character should shift you back to pwwt. i killing miranda which shifted me to neutral, just quit the game and signed back in. pwwt restored.

Beat 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 tonight. I defeated all three bosses on the first try. Armor spider was the hardest of the #-1 bosses (2-1). World 5 is fucking bleak. I hate it.

LiK

goldsoundz said:
Beat 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 tonight. I defeated all three bosses on the first try. Armor spider was the hardest of the #-1 bosses (2-1). World 5 is fucking bleak. I hate it.

enjoy 5-2! D:

goldsoundz said:

You haven't even begun to hate it... Have fun in 5-2!

Solstice said:
You haven't even begun to hate it... Have fun in 5-2!
I will smoke that stage just like I did 5-1, and proceed to somehow kill myself after defeating the archdemon five times before I can make it back to the archstone. It can't be that bad! Or can it?

LiK

goldsoundz said:
I will smoke that stage just like I did 5-1, and proceed to somehow kill myself after defeating the archdemon five times before I can make it back to the archstone. It can't be that bad! Or can it?

Play it and return here to report your experience, young Padawan.

I was finally motivated to start this by the tendency event going on. Created a Royal and had a blast going through 1-1 with the "hang back and Soul Arrow everyone to death" strategy, which was quite effective. I look forward to exploring this game in more depth; the hype certainly seems justified. The only bad thing I encountered was some nasty frame drops in the boss battle; hopefully those don't reoccur.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So..a year later..I think I might come back to Platinum this bad boy. Pretty sure I only had the weapon trophies left. Hooray farming.

So I'm at soul level 49 with a focus on magic, and I'm pretty much stuck on every front. I've made decent progress, though. I've managed to clear 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, and 4-1. Do I have to wait for the pure black world tendency later this month if I'm going to be able to level up in a timely manner? I wish the word tendencies were easier to change. -_-

LiK

ninj4junpei said:
So I'm at soul level 49 with a focus on magic, and I'm pretty much stuck on every front. I've made decent progress, though. I've managed to clear 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, and 4-1. Do I have to wait for the pure black world tendency later this month if I'm going to be able to level up in a timely manner? I wish the word tendencies were easier to change. -_-

they're easy to change if you play Offline.

roxya

ninj4junpei said:

What do you mean by 'stuck'?

Anyway, you have access to 4-2 so levelling up is not difficult, not that you really need to at this point...

Top Bottom