• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
How do you kill her normally? She 2-shot killed my level 40ish character.

I usually just fight her melee-style

I find black phantom Miralda the easiest named black phantom.

Zzoram

canova said:
I usually just fight her melee-style

I find black phantom Miralda the easiest named black phantom.
Is there a strategy you use? I think she breaks my block too easily then kills me. Should I be rolling? Using a long weapon?

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Is there a strategy you use? I think she breaks my block too easily then kills me. Should I be rolling? Using a long weapon?

you need to have a higher guard reduction shield and upgrade it. some of those shields are steel shield, purple flame shield, knight shield, or brushwood shield.

if you have those upgraded shields, her attack will bounce off your shields and stun her

LiK

Zzoram said:

do hit and runs. she has pretty short reach so just roll away after hitting her a few times. uber easy BP.

There are some cheese strategy against her. When you aggro her, run back down where the first group of BP dredglings spawned. Hide behind a small rectangular support for the beams. She'll try to melee you, but there are several rocks in the way that mess up her pathing, so she'll try to run around to the other side. Kill her off with your compound long bow and plus 100 arrows.
Watch this video if you're confused about what I said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbcnQtiAI8
If you have to go toe to toe with her. Don't block. She'll will guard break you, then kill you. Dodge her attack, then punish her.

SolidC213

Zzoram said:

Do you have warding? That helps a lot and also try rolling away instead of blocking. When she does an uppercut swing her back is to you and you can chip away at her then. You can also use gods wrath outside and hurt her (it goes through walls) but that might make her fall off so be careful if you don't want that.

oracrest

Shinjitsu said:
you might need to log in and out of the servers a few times for it to go totally to PBWT.

I think this speaks to how the server must influence your local world tendency by a small degree based on what the "server tendency" is, rather than just fully adopting the server state.

Atlus set their servers to full black, but the manner that online affects your own game has probably remained under the usual rules of whatever aggregate system is in place. It makes sense then that when logging on, it would take a few hits from the server's influence before your own game is pure black.

Also, it seems that you must go back to the Nexus to have these changes, since the game seems to lock you into whatever world tendency you have achieved until you go back to the Nexus, and it documents what you have done to change this?

Zzoram said:

Rolling is God Tier, and blocking is middle tier defensive strategy if you know what your doing. As long as you time it right, rolling has total invulnerability to an attack, even if the weapon goes through your character. For enemies with large weapons, like Garl, blocking and stumbling back from a guard break is almost suicide.

SolidC213

Shinjitsu said:
you might need to log in and out of the servers a few times for it to go totally to PBWT.

Hmmm im going to have to try this. My Archstones (I think thats what the levels are called) are not getting very dark at all :(

oracrest

SolidC213 said:
Hmmm im going to have to try this. My Archstones (I think thats what the levels are called) are not getting very dark at all :(

I'm pretty sure it only updates your tendency when you go back and forth from a world to the Nexus.

Zzoram said:
both times i've killed her i lure her way back out to the open area where the four black phantoms spawn (where the crystal lizard is). there's a rock in the middle of that area that she will RARELY ever cross over, she'll always move around it. what i do is basically keep the rock between us and get her to attack. with a long enough sword or spear you can R2 lunge after she's swung. it takes awhile but as long as you keep the rock between you she'll rarely come near you.

LiK

oracrest said:
I think this speaks to how the server must influence your local world tendency by a small degree based on what the "server tendency" is, rather than just fully adopting the server state.

Atlus set their servers to full black, but the manner that online affects your own game has probably remained under the usual rules of whatever aggregate system is in place. It makes sense then that when logging on, it would take a few hits from the server's influence before your own game is pure black.

Also, it seems that you must go back to the Nexus to have these changes, since the game seems to lock you into whatever world tendency you have achieved until you go back to the Nexus, and it documents what you have done to change this?

Rolling is God Tier, and blocking is middle tier defensive strategy if you know what your doing. As long as you time it right, rolling has total invulnerability to an attack, even if the weapon goes through your character. For enemies with large weapons, like Garl, blocking and stumbling back from a guard break is almost suicide.
Woo, im god tiered ;)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Try rolling in the poison swamp while fighting three of those giant trolls... doesn't work so well. :lol

First time I died in a while.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gonna be a blast from the past but can someone help out someone who is just starting.

I went through the first underground castle section or whatever and then opened up the shortcut gate. I ran into a dragon and somehow escaped. But no matter what I do it's always like the third or fourth blue guy that gets me. I know the level-up chick comes out at some point but I dunno where so I just keep going back in but never with a character that's improved in any way. I fought the red guy just to see and he predictably speared me in one shot when I was defending so obviously that's not the way to go.

AstroLad said:
Gonna be a blast from the past but can someone help out someone who is just starting...

You need to
unlock the main gate that you see at the very beginning of the stage.

I didn't want to be too specific as to not spoil anything.

When in doubt... Pull some levers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hmm okay I'll see. I love grinding actually but as cool as this game is I'm getting a bit annoyed at myself just wandering for hours without any ability to improve my guy now or in the foreseeable future.

LiK

recklessmind said:
Try rolling in the poison swamp while fighting three of those giant trolls... doesn't work so well. :lol

True but you can always lure enemies on the little islands and roll there. I only ignored the giant depraved ones cuz they're too tough. Blocking ain't an option against them either.. Easily avoided with Thief ring.

Canova

Banned
LiK said:
True but you can always lure enemies on the little islands and roll there. I only ignored the giant depraved ones cuz they're too tough. Blocking ain't an option against them either.. Easily avoided with Thief ring.

yes you can block their attacks with high guard reduction shields. it will bounce off your shield and stun them.

I think the only regular enemy attack I never blocked is the jumping attack from BP dual katana sekeleton

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Minamu said:
Been playing offline? You haven't beaten the game according to the trophies. Then again, you haven't logged on in the last 3 months according to my list :S Haven't seen you on gaf either :S

...:O ???

I beat the game online. I have the trophies for every Demon. What the hell?

edit: Oh and I got engaged, so yeah not having been online or posting on gaf much in the last 3 months is entirely realistic :p

LiK

Hawkian said:
...:O ???

I beat the game online. I have the trophies for every Demon. What the hell?

edit: Oh and I got engaged, so yeah not having been online or posting on gaf much in the last 3 months is entirely realistic :p
Sync your trophies.

oracrest

recklessmind said:

Heh,

"Oh shit, a big dude with a club! No worries, I'll just roll out of the way as he attacks.... FUCK WHY AM I STUCK IN THIS WATER!!!

*Smash!*

You Died

...Like a bitch!

that's pretty much how my first run-in with him went...

oracrest said:
Heh,

"Oh shit, a big dude with a club! No worries, I'll just roll out of the way as he attacks.... FUCK WHY AM I STUCK IN THIS WATER!!!

*Smash!*

You Died

...Like a bitch!

that's pretty much how my first run-in with him went...
My first experience ended that way too. :lol

So was just asking about this game on another forum I post on.....

here is what this one dude replied with.

Well, when you remove the protective plastic around the case, it will kick you, hard, very hard in fact, then, when you actually open the case, and you're still reeling, it will kick you again, this time, in the teeth and balls at the same time. Once you're on the ground, it will tower over you, staring down with eyes black as coal with disgust, and tell you to rise, IF you want to be a man.

Once you have placed the game in the PS3, your couch will whisk away in mist, your coffee table, your furniture, and you'll be left, alone, without a tv, without a controller, metal and padded cloth against your chest, worn leather against your feet, and a notched, long used sword in your hand. The winds will blow once, twice, thrice, and on that third time, the stench of death acompanies it, for that is not wind. Before you stands a demon, massive in its size, leveling a room with a swipe of its axe, and you, with merely that sword of yours, and armour that's making it difficult to move, is standing before impossible ods. The demon is defeatable, I should know, I have plunged my sword deep inside its body and vanquished it, turned it into noth but mist, and a glittering shard of a soul. However, that was not the first time I stood before the demon, the first time, I knew not what to do, and death followed suit.

You will die, and for every time you die, you will learn, or, your will, your soul and strength to keep pressing onwards, will perish.

Play up to the nexus, that is the tutorial.
Pick the character that speaks to your inner being, I always pick a Knight, for that is the poster figure for Demon's Souls, but do not despair, every class, can become anything, and can all wield the same weapons, spells and miracles, wear the same armour, and defend with the same shields, 'tis but your starting stats and items that are different.

And once you have battled your way through several worlds, and stand before the ivory tower, that Prison of Hope, I tell you my friend, that you will, for the first time in your life, know true fear within a game, and not that cheap, startling fear, nor the kind that lingers long past, but the one that bites deep, and sends your adrenalin rushing.

Journey well, and journey far.

Souls of the lost.
Return to lifes Ether
So the world will be mended.

So the world, will be mended.

:lol :lol :lol

LiK

MidnightRider said:
So was just asking about this game on another forum I post on.....

here is what this one dude replied with.

:lol :lol :lol

what forum? that man is a genius and should join in here. :lol

Evolved1

He doesn't know how to use commas but I liked the end: "so the world will be mended". Nice touch. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FrostuTheNinja said:
You need to
unlock the main gate that you see at the very beginning of the stage.

I didn't want to be too specific as to not spoil anything.

When in doubt... Pull some levers.
Ok I think I figured it out. Have it sitting on pause at home so I'll have to wait a few hours to get back to it :lol.

Evolved1

AstroLad said:
Ok I think I figured it out. Have it sitting on pause at home so I'll have to wait a few hours to get back to it :lol.

Yeah the game lets you open shortcuts through long levels as you make progress. So you don't get checkpoints, but you can usually skip large portions after you've completed them the first time.

As long as you remember to pull the levers. :lol

sonicmj1

AstroLad said:

Good news: When you quit, the game saves your exact location. You don't lose any progress.

Bad news: The game doesn't pause.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sonicmj1 said:
Good news: When you quit, the game saves your exact location. You don't lose any progress.

Bad news: The game doesn't pause.
So I can quit and it will put me right back where I was, souls and all?

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
You'll keep your souls. I don't know where you'll spawn, at the worst it'll be at the beginning of the level, but I think it saves our exact location.

As for thinkin you're paused at home... When you get home you'll likely be dead from some random weak enemy lol.

Canova

Banned
Well, when you remove the protective plastic around the case, it will kick you, hard, very hard in fact, then, when you actually open the case, and you're still reeling, it will kick you again, this time, in the teeth and balls at the same time. Once you're on the ground, it will tower over you, staring down with eyes black as coal with disgust, and tell you to rise, IF you want to be a man.

Once you have placed the game in the PS3, your couch will whisk away in mist, your coffee table, your furniture, and you'll be left, alone, without a tv, without a controller, metal and padded cloth against your chest, worn leather against your feet, and a notched, long used sword in your hand. The winds will blow once, twice, thrice, and on that third time, the stench of death acompanies it, for that is not wind. Before you stands a demon, massive in its size, leveling a room with a swipe of its axe, and you, with merely that sword of yours, and armour that's making it difficult to move, is standing before impossible ods. The demon is defeatable, I should know, I have plunged my sword deep inside its body and vanquished it, turned it into noth but mist, and a glittering shard of a soul. However, that was not the first time I stood before the demon, the first time, I knew not what to do, and death followed suit.

You will die, and for every time you die, you will learn, or, your will, your soul and strength to keep pressing onwards, will perish.

Play up to the nexus, that is the tutorial.
Pick the character that speaks to your inner being, I always pick a Knight, for that is the poster figure for Demon's Souls, but do not despair, every class, can become anything, and can all wield the same weapons, spells and miracles, wear the same armour, and defend with the same shields, 'tis but your starting stats and items that are different.

And once you have battled your way through several worlds, and stand before the ivory tower, that Prison of Hope, I tell you my friend, that you will, for the first time in your life, know true fear within a game, and not that cheap, startling fear, nor the kind that lingers long past, but the one that bites deep, and sends your adrenalin rushing.

Journey well, and journey far.

Souls of the lost.
Return to lifes Ether
So the world will be mended.

So the world, will be mended.

very awesome description.

That's it! that's exactly what Demon's Souls all about.

sonicmj1

AstroLad said:

Exactly. And any enemies you killed will stay killed. Enemies you haven't killed will go back to where they originally spawned.

If you're going to do something else, select "quit" from the menu, since you can't pause, and after you clear 1-1, you'll have to deal with the possibility of people invading you while you're away (if you're online).

Broseybrose

This game literally autosaves constantly. Theres a faint circle in the upper right corner thats always there spinning. Thats the game autosaving.

Changes to the world are consistent when you die, but enemies are not.

Zzoram

Broseybrose said:
This game literally autosaves constantly. Theres a faint circle in the upper right corner thats always there spinning. Thats the game autosaving.

Changes to the world are consistent when you die, but enemies are not.
Constant autosave means no reloading when you screw up. In this way, the game has a stronger feeling of consequence than any other modern rpg.

Reilly

Zzoram said:
Constant autosave means no reloading when you screw up. In this way, the game has a stronger feeling of consequence than any other modern rpg.
I found, however, that if you die on a boss, for example, then exit the game before it loads you back to the starting point, you can actually jump back to your last auto save in the level once you start the game back up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zzoram said:
You'll keep your souls. I don't know where you'll spawn, at the worst it'll be at the beginning of the level, but I think it saves our exact location.

As for thinkin you're paused at home... When you get home you'll likely be dead from some random weak enemy lol.

It doesn't put you to the beginning of the level, that would make quitting a free evacuate spell.

I once quit in the basement of the tower of latria before I realized how quitting worked... was so lost and confused when I restarted my game, oh man.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zzoram said:

Hmmm I dunno I did that yesterday and was fine. Cleared pretty much the entire level except for the dragon and the red dude and I'm not near either of them. We'll see -- part of the fun!

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
Hmmm I dunno I did that yesterday and was fine. Cleared pretty much the entire level except for the dragon and the red dude and I'm not near either of them. We'll see -- part of the fun!
Wait, are you in 1-1? I didn't think there was a dragon in 1-1.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know how the levels are broken down, but yeah I'm near that area where there's a bridge with a bunch of soldiers and a dragon on the left.

AstroLad said:
I don't know how the levels are broken down, but yeah I'm near that area where there's a bridge with a bunch of soldiers and a dragon on the left.
Go up a little to the pathway, and wait for the dragon, when it breathes fire, run back to the stairs.

Zzoram

AstroLad said:
I thought that was in 1-2, so you shouldve already unlocked the maiden for leveling up. 1-1 is just climbing the castle wall until you open the giant gate at the beginning of the level and fight the Phalanx.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zzoram said:
I thought that was in 1-2, so you shouldve already unlocked the maiden for leveling up. 1-1 is just climbing the castle wall until you open the giant gate at the beginning of the level and fight the Phalanx.
yeah see i was afraid i missed that part somehow :lol. who is the phalanx? the red dude? basically i beat the whole bottom area, then unlocked the side gate and beat the whole castle area with the knight you help out and a couple blue guys except for the dragon. never got to open the main gate; maybe i missed a switch somewhere -- already had to crank on the brightness a bit as the game is dark as hell

LiK

AstroLad said:
yeah see i was afraid i missed that part somehow :lol. who is the phalanx? the red dude? basically i beat the whole bottom area, then unlocked the side gate and beat the whole castle area with the knight you help out and a couple blue guys except for the dragon. never got to open the main gate; maybe i missed a switch somewhere -- already had to crank on the brightness a bit as the game is dark as hell

Phalanx is the big black slime monster surrounded by smaller slim monsters with spears and shields at the end of 1-1

Maddog

AstroLad said:

Kinda looks like this.
0.jpg

Top Bottom