• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax hits US Oct. 6, pre-order OST

MJPIA

So unless there is some company out there that ships games in a small box I feel like most who ordered the vita version online are probably gonna end up with a damaged box.
Great.
I'll have to check local game stores on the way home from work to see if they have any instore.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH, SO GUESS WHAT.

Remember how I said the pre-order CD was 6 tracks?

lol no it's ONE SINGLE TRACK COMBINING 6 SONGS.

It's a "medley" (I use the term loosely because it's more of fade-outs to indicate the next song, which further begs the question why the hell they didn't just make them separate tracks) that's about 9:45 long. It includes:

- Fighting Climax Instrumental (opening song) [it's about 30 seconds long]
- Envoy of Hope (Character Select)
- Ruin & Salvation (Valkyria Chronicles Stage, Daytime Ver.)
- Abyss (Shinobi Stage)
- Higher Higher (Nights Stag) [THIS SONG IS THE REASON WHY I WANTED THIS TO BE SEPARATE TRACKS]
- Seaside B-Field (Sonic The Hedgehog Stage) [Weird Seaside Hill remix (though decent) for....Green Hill Zone stage. okay]

I seriously wish these were just separate tracks because it's a pain finding the parts I do like while this is playing in my car's CD player.

Nyoro SF

OK so I got the Standard Edition, so bullet dodged. Plus Amazon was nice enough to send it to me in a box and not an envelope, so double bullet dodged.

Apparently there's a "Launch Edition" which comes with a CD, but only in limited quantities of the first batch of copies. Honestly I don't care for stuff like this so I consider myself fortunate that I didn't get it. I hate having to worry about the extra crappy cardboard covers game distributors use, and usually the CD doesn't contain all the songs.

I played a few matches online and everyone is not doing so well against me (sorry!). This is why I don't feel like people should fault the simplicity of this game... I think the barrier of entry is just right for someone that doesn't play fighters at all.

OH, SO GUESS WHAT.

Remember how I said the pre-order CD was 6 tracks?

lol no it's ONE SINGLE TRACK COMBINING 6 SONGS..

Yep. As expected.
Anime games are notorious for this problem. Usually a licensing thing. Though that combining of tracks is extremely unfortunate, and a first!
If you notice, all the tracks you listed are owned by Sega or both parties. Anything related to Dengeki's characters directly didn't make it on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, when I first looked, I thought it was 6 tracks, & saw it was all Sega stuff, which made sense since licensing, but I'm more annoyed that they combined all the songs into one track.

I kind of was expecting a low track count, considering it's a pre-order CD, they all tend to be less than 10 tracks, but the whole "medley" thing just doesn't work for me when I only really care for the last two songs & wanted them to be separate.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, when I first looked, I thought it was 6 tracks, & saw it was all Sega stuff, which made sense since licensing, but I'm more annoyed that they combined all the songs into one track.

I kind of was expecting a low track count, considering it's a pre-order CD, they all tend to be less than 10 tracks, but the whole "medley" thing just doesn't work for me when I only really care for the last two songs & wanted them to be separate.
That is very disappointing.

Nyoro SF

anyone else find it odd that SEGA doesn't have their logo on the front of the box?

Interesting. It's on the Japanese cover.
However, that's fine by me that's it only on the back now for the West. Cover looks nicer when it doesn't have company logos on it.

Like the new ugly Marvelous logo....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty sure they do, yes. PlaystationTrophies mentions that they both share the same list.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"R-rated video games"

................................TELL ME, SEGA, CAN YOU NAME SOME OF THESE R-RATED GAMES.

Also figured novel covers would've had to been unlocked, but nah, you can view all the covers right from the start & earn an easy trophy.

So nobody's makin' an OT?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is this worth getting or should wait for the next version?

If you're planning on importing, wait. The next version of the game is due out this year. No reason to get this version.

I really don't understand why Sega didn't bring out the new version of this instead. This game is almost a year old now.

Hubb

Pretty sure they do, yes. PlaystationTrophies mentions that they both share the same list.

Thanks. And...

lol what're you talking abOH MY GOD HER TITS ARE HUGE

Weren't they always?

If you're planning on importing, wait. The next version of the game is due out this year. No reason to get this version.

I really don't understand why Sega didn't bring out the new version of this instead. This game is almost a year old now.

The port was announce 10-11 months ago. My guess is something fucked up, it shouldn't take them that long to localize this game. Not even BB/GG take that long to come to NA
sorry EU

The port was announce 10-11 months ago. My guess is something fucked up, it shouldn't take them that long to localize this game.

Kinda sorta.

Ignition didn't exist then and even if it did I highly doubt anybody handling localization for what we have now would have no damn clue because when's the last time SoA knew what SoJ was doing in some form of reality.

To localize is one thing. To get the rights to the new characters, franchises they come from and their voices which will probably need a new contract to release the game under is another.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If you want Ignition then you're importing because there's no damn way this sells anything that would warrant any more work being done when it comes to this game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HI, FEMALE FORM OF THE DREAMCAST.

.....................why isn't Saturn & Mega Drive with you?

Actually, the character portraits in this are WEIRD. Like, they remind me of that 3D anime portrait thing, but it's so strange. It's like an uncanny valley of wanting to have the portraits have movement.

I wouldn't worry about it though. If you want Ignition then you're importing because there's no damn way this sells anything that would warrant any more work being done when it comes to this game.

Unless it does. Because somehow even something like J-Stars, which is a legit not good game, did really well in NA somehow.

That being said I'm still importing Ignition for PS4. There's still a part of me that doubts Sega has it in them to localize the 'newer' edition of this

Hubb

HI, FEMALE FORM OF THE DREAMCAST.

.....................why isn't Saturn & Mega Drive with you?

Actually, the character portraits in this are WEIRD. Like, they remind me of that Live 3D thing, but it's so strange. It's like an uncanny valley of wanting to have the portraits have movement.

Some look better than others, but yeah. They didn't want just static portraits for whatever reason.

I'm talking about they took longer than they expected to handle this port (for whatever reason). Not that they didn't know which of the two to port at first.

Point still withstanding. Port was supposed to drop during the summer before Ignition when it was announced at the end of January.

If however you're talking about the part where you thought SoA was going to localize this so you'd get a parity release when this dropped in Japan last year then that was never going to happen.

That still would've been the same work of getting a new contract to release the game under and localizing it after all that stuff was approved.

The game has too many moving parts in America and Europe to make that happen. Rights are weird. The End.

Unless it does. Because somehow even something like J-Stars, which is a legit not good game, did really well in NA somehow.

J-Stars has franchises people buy games for and was going to sell regardless of its quality which was well known a year in advance.

This game doesn't have that same star power. Biggest franchise in this game I'd wager to be Sword Art Online given its heavy Toonami presence in America and that's not going to do it. Maybe I get proven wrong but in instances like these history usually dictates.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, hate ot say it, but SAO is pretty much the biggest name in this. It doesn't have the same star power compared to J-Stars which has huge names like Dragon Ball, Naurto, etc. The fact Sega dediced to bring this over is still kind of amazing, especially at a discount price. But then again, SAO really is the only license they might've had trouble with considering Namco has the SAO gaming rights.

Also great, now I can't remember the name of that 3d anime face thing that these portraits reminded me of.

Oh yeah, why the hell is Dreamcast called "Denshin"?

cj_iwakura

"R-rated video games"

................................TELL ME, SEGA, CAN YOU NAME SOME OF THESE R-RATED GAMES.

Also figured novel covers would've had to been unlocked, but nah, you can view all the covers right from the start & earn an easy trophy.

So nobody's makin' an OT?

It was reserved in the OT, have no idea what happened. I was going to help, but looking at the video... my hype's kind of deflated. Aquapazza looked better.

J-Stars has franchises people buy games for and was going to sell regardless of its quality which well well known a year in advance.

This game doesn't have that same star power. Biggest franchise in this game I'd wager to be Sword Art Online given its heavy Toonami presence in America and that's not going to do it. Maybe I get proven wrong but in instances like these history usually dictates.

I feel like there has to be some greater interest in this game. Especially if you consider maybe those same crazy loons who bought J-Stars 'might' buy this game.

They wouldn't localize the LN's either if people didn't want them I guess. Spice & Wolf has been localized for god knows how long and it's still going. I guess it's a "those who are into this stuff/scene are REALLY into it." The majority of the franchises represented in Dengeki FC are big names within the anime community. Shana, Durarara, RailDex. and OreImo are all pretty popular.

SAO has the most mainstream recognition obviously. Dengeki FC is most definitely a niche game. I still have this feeling Dengeki FC will do better than Sega expects. Looking forward to those Vita numbers.

Hubb

Point still withstanding. Port was supposed to drop during the summer before Ignition when it was announced at the end of January.

If however you're talking about the part where you thought SoA was going to localize this so you'd get a parity release when this dropped in Japan last year then that was never going to happen.

No, what I am saying is that SoA announced this game over 10 months ago. It should not have taken them 10 months to get this game out (specially since I doubt the first day they worked on it was the announce date). If SoA got this game out 3 months earlier, they could have avoided a lot of flak. I'm not talking about a parity release, just the fact that it took them much longer than other anime fighters (which already take a long time) to come over here. Yes getting the rights to all the characters would be a pain, but I am assuming they got those rights before the announcement. It would be bad business otherwise.

Sakura

What is with the controls exactly?
On the character select screen it seems like every single button selects a character (in different colours?) How do I simply go back lol
Edit: Never mind I figured it out.

No, what I am saying is that SoA announced this game over 10 months ago. It should not have taken them 10 months to get this game out (specially since I doubt the first day they worked on it was the announce date). If SoA got this game out 3 months earlier, they could have avoided a lot of flak. I'm not talking about a parity release, just the fact that it took them much longer than other anime fighters (which already take a long time) to come over here. Yes getting the rights to all the characters would be a pain, but I am assuming they got those rights before the announcement. It would be bad business otherwise.

Shit happens and the flak was coming no matter what. This is a day that ends in Y. Ignition drops no matter what in the scenario so you're still cuing up the why of the original and not Ignition instead.

The only anime fighter in recent history that's had to deal with this is Aquapazza and that game from JP PS3 release to US took a longer time than this did so it happens. It'll be interesting to see how Nitroplus Blasterz a game that had parity in mind releases in America. Probably not coming out in 2015 but it'll be pretty close I think.

Localization came to a halt or ran into a roadblock somehow. Again, I can only assume rights lapsed somewhere which delayed the game. I have no logical idea what it could've been otherwise. Maybe it was technical issue but it's all conjecture unless somebody wants to explain but I highly doubt that'll be the case.

I guess no one saw Sega High School =(

I did. Saturn's the best!

Cross posting from the Ignition thread.

Sega of America very likely had to delay DBFC because of their move from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Such a huge move causes massive disorganization in a company and they lost staff in the transition. Plus someone pointed out to me earlier that Atlus is actually handling the retail distribution for this title.

That's why there's no way in hell that SoA is trying to kill it off, it is 1000x more likely that Japan is just operating off their own clock. It's like watching Arcsys in the dark days of yesteryear when their Western audience wasn't even acknowledged in press. lol

There you have it.

Japanese Arcade to Console cycle strikes again!

Nyoro SF

Shit happens and the flak was coming no matter what. This is a day that ends in Y. Ignition drops no matter what in the scenario so you're still cuing up the why of the original and not Ignition instead.

The only anime fighter in recent history that's had to deal with this is Aquapazza and that game from JP PS3 release to US took a longer time than this did so it happens. It'll be interesting to see how Nitroplus Blasterz a game that had parity in mind releases in America. Probably not coming out in 2015 but it'll be pretty close I think.

Localization came to a halt or ran into a roadblock somehow. Again, I can only assume rights lapsed somewhere which delayed the game. I have no logical idea what it could've been otherwise. Maybe it was technical issue but it's all conjecture unless somebody wants to explain but I highly doubt that'll be the case.

The major reason for the delay of the game was the move that Sega did from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Not only did this take a long time, but Sega lost a ton of staff, including retail console support staff, marketers and localizers.

Not sure why Hubb is so obsessed with taking SoA to task. Hubb, you're basically kicking a guy who's lost both his arms and legs. Do you really think SoA wanted this game to die to Ignition just because you can't waltz into a GameStop and buy this ultra-niche game? Triple is right, Sega wanted this game out by Summer and got blindsided by corporate politics. Once you lose almost all your staff it's really hard to get a game released, you know.... especially when you're running to Atlus's door to ask for help distributing the game, a tiny company that already has its hands full publishing its own and other companies' titles.

And this game wasn't easy to localize. They had to program in custom subtitles just for the pre-battle scenes, ensure cross-regional support with localization and so forth. Sega is not Aksys so they don't have years of experience publishing fighting games like this, so naturally it will take longer.

Either way what's done is done and I'm tired of you squabbling about it Hubb. Sega of Japan messed up / disrespected their Western branch (what's left of it) and now we have to take what we can get. Choose what's best for you as a consumer and move on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess no one saw Sega High School =(
I did watch Sega Hard Girls, it was rather (surprisingly) good & filled with great referencial humor. But I still don't get/remember the joke/reference. Also a shame we didn't get to see more characters/systems aside from brief mentions in one episode.

Haven't tried much, but so far, it feels like a nice combination of simple to learn, but still has enough mechanics to feel complex as well. I'm right in the middle when it comes to fighting games (I can easily learn them, but I'm not great), so I think that might be why I might take to those, though maybe wish for a few more moves (I will say THANK GOD for no 360 rotation moves, I always hate those) but I look forward to hopefully playing Ignition in the future.

SephLuis

I did watch Sega Hard Girls, it was rather (surprisingly) good & filled with great referencial humor. But I still don't get/remember the joke/reference. Also a shame we didn't get to see more characters/systems aside from brief mentions in one episode.

I mean, since almost no one saw it, I guess it would be strange to call her Dreamcast since people wouldn't be familiar with it. So I guess they just went with a japanese name (which I believe it isn't a random name).

I want to see how IFI will deal with this once the crossover with neptunia series comes over.

UCBooties

Is this the OT for the US release now?

I have stages of grief with anime character fighters. They go something like this:

Excitement: Oh man! A chance to play as some of my favorite characters! I can't wait to see all their awesome special moves!

Realization: Oh right... I am terrible at fighting games...

Determination: I will learn this game. I will earn mastery through sweat and blood. I will make this game my own and I shall know the sweet taste of victory!

Acceptance: I am terrible at fighting games...

Nyoro SF

Is this the OT for the US release now?

I have stages of grief with anime character fighters. They go something like this:

Excitement: Oh man! A chance to play as some of my favorite characters! I can't wait to see all their awesome special moves!

Realization: Oh right... I am terrible at fighting games...

Determination: I will learn this game. I will earn mastery through sweat and blood. I will make this game my own and I shall know the sweet taste of victory!

Acceptance: I am terrible at fighting games...

I'm also bad at fighting games, but the skill ceiling on this game is pretty low so I don't feel held back. Feels great. However if you mash in this game you're going to be in for a world of trouble.... moves do very little damage by themselves and you can't score BS victories by just whacking buttons unless you use trumps, but even then it won't earn you victory against someone patient i.e.. anyone that actually takes the time to block in this game.

On an unrelated note, the Dokuro assist is an incredible pain to deal with, damn. It's an everything assist. The moment someone has it available you have to respect it, even if you block it, you're at disadvantage, plus it cracks armor. Also it's an amazing air combo finisher or air reset mechanism. Surprised I'm not seeing more people use Accelerator, Enju and Dokuro. Now I see why a lot of people in Ignition switched to Dokuro.

Note 2: I really need to improve my knockdown techniques in this game. I thwack someone down with Selvaria and then I try some oki stuff but it usually fails with my Alicia assist. If I actually cared about having a killer win record I would probably pick Dokuro assist instead but... yeah. Alicia is fun.

Ignition will be getting a PS4 version when it comes out in Japan in Dec.

This would be the first time I would struggle with myself whether to just sod it and get the Japanese version of Ignition digitally.

Would be rolling a Quenser/Kamijou team for maximum misfortune duo.

Nyoro SF

Izaya is awesome too. Great defensive assist (though not for anti-airing) and a long OTG attack which gives you loads of time to set a wakeup strategy. Great for Tomoka players since her defensive options are weak but has absolutely stellar oki.

On a related note, it is amazingly funny when someone pushblocks Alicia's lance assist; I think the number of messages that pop up threatens to break the game's notification system lol

This would be the first time I would struggle with myself whether to just sod it and get the Japanese version of Ignition digitally.

Would be rolling a Quenser/Kamijou team for maximum misfortune duo.

I've got my PS4 import prepped. Physical, because in the off chance that SoA announces a localization of Ignition I want to be able to sell the game.

jbug617

Banned
I didn't realize that the Vita version was only $30. Just ordered that from Best Buy and with GCU (and tax) it came out to $25.

Nyoro SF

I didn't realize that the Vita version was only $30. Just ordered that from Best Buy and with GCU (and tax) it came out to $25.

I feel like they should've pushed the price a bit more. $30 and $40 are great value for a fighter that's fun like this one.

Netplay is solid. I filter out everyone but 3 bars and up.
Sadly some people are still using wireless and it's pretty obvious when it hitches on 3-bar matches. Thankfully this is rare.

bon

I kind of want to get this since Selvaria and Akira are in it, but I don't know who any of the other characters are.

Top Bottom