• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dennis D comes back from the ice bucket and shows off new Too Human screen (berieve?)

Tieno

Skip forward to E3 2006:

It is a week before the show, and we already know the Too Human E3 demo is not what it should be going into E3. We are disappointed and tired. So many technical problems, so many sleepless nights trying to fix so many of these problems, but they never stop coming. I remember speaking to Ray from Bioware the night before the show. He asked me my thoughts on tech and I respond, “We are going to take some damage.”

Why did we go to the show given this scenario? There are many answers, but I’ll respond simply with we did, and we can’t take it back. I guess we went in with the hope that people could overlook some of the technical issues and see the potential for Too Human. It is, after all, only a demo. We certainly thought that EGM would look on us favorably after seeing the game in a better state previously when they gave us a cover. Ultimately, we were incorrect.

When you present at E3, you often schedule time for the press and time to look around at the other games. It is exhausting for everyone. I was originally scheduled to do 1.5 days of interviews out of the full 3 days, which is a lot of interviews and demos. However, once we saw the new trailer for the first time the day before E3 and the boards starting lighting up with thoughts on Too Human, James O’Reilly (Director of Technology), Ken Alguire (Assistant Lead Designer) and myself decided that we would do interviews for all 3 days. James and Ken played, while I talked.

Why? To get every bit of information and feedback we could out of the demo. I would ask what people thought of Too Human after seeing a demo, knowing the response would not likely be favorable. Many people were polite (thank you), some lied and some were blunt. Some saw the potential, which made “the ice bucket” more tolerable. Hundreds of times we heard criticisms like “the camera is too far out”, “the frame rate is bad”, etc …” It was cold and it hurt a lot. Only this time, the cold didn’t stop for 3 days. We will never forget what it was like.

We knew well before E3 that we would have to go dark and would not show the game for a long time. We knew it would be painful, but in the end worth it. We felt the pain would be worth the gain. We will weather our “Ice Bucket” and do whatever it takes to make Too Human great.

Since E3 we have not only fixed all of the problems we had going into the show, but we have made sweeping improvements across the board – multithreading, rendering, significantly better textures, seamless loading – all aimed at putting the Xbox 360 into overdrive. We have conducted focus tests on the game play, control, art and cameras, all aimed at making the game better. Soon we will start to reveal the story. We went into a very cold place in order to insure that Too Human’s next showing would receive a burning hot reception. Soon you will see this for yourself and our “ice bucket” experience will be over.

too-human-20070124032712967.jpg

After “The Ice Bucket”: A direct dump from the Xbox 360 frame buffer off a new build of Too Human. Those with keen eye will notice soft shadows, 4x AA, atmospheric scattering, cloth.... Frame rate, camera and seamless loading are no longer problems.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I don't think its the best pic to be wowed by. They could have released a picture of the game in a better lit area.

Orobi

Why another thread of Too Human with the same pic?
I think this game is looking like Gear of War. Not a bad thing, but I hope there will be more fantasy related chars and monsters.

Tieno

Orobi said:
Why another thread of Too Human with the same pic?
I think this game is looking like Gear of War. Not a bad thing, but I hope there will be more fantasy related chars and monsters.
It has a bit of the same visual filter. But if you look at the concept art, it's really awesome and incredible and epic. In motion it'll look even better.

Mmmkay

Denis Dyack said:
"Although we do not usually comment on speculation, rumors of Silicon Knights completely scrapping the Unreal Engine 3 on Too Human and massive delays for the Too Human product release are false."
Okay Denis.
Come again, Denis?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Quick somebody hate on Blood Omen so that Denis will be forced to come in to this thread and comment!

Orobi

Tieno said:
It has a bit of the same visual filter. But if you look at the concept art, it's really awesome and incredible and epic. In motion it'll look even better.

I really don't like main hero :( He looks more generic than before :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Since E3 we have not only fixed all of the problems we had going into the show, but we have made sweeping improvements across the board – multithreading, rendering, significantly better textures, seamless loading – all aimed at putting the Xbox 360 into overdrive. We have conducted focus tests on the game play, control, art and cameras, all aimed at making the game better. Soon we will start to reveal the story. We went into a very cold place in order to insure that Too Human’s next showing would receive a burning hot reception. Soon you will see this for yourself and our “ice bucket” experience will be over.

I want to believe.

BlueTsunami

DarienA said:
Quick somebody hate on Blood Omen so that Denis will be forced to come in to this thread and comment!

Blood Omen sucked and I have a feeling this game is going to turn out the same. Why Can Dennis D be original instead of knuckle biting off of different genres so shamelessly?

runs away

Blood Omen was a horrible game with unexcusable load times for a 2D piece of shit.

best ps1 game next to Metal Gear Solid

P.S. I always thought this looked awesome and people were way too fast to jump on the hate bandwagon with the E3 demo. It never looked bad, just like it had technology problems - I even believed the "changing the loading tech" excuse. The camera looked interesting, the combat looked fun and easy to get into, and the art was beautiful. The way the camera panned back enough for you to see the character's actions but also enough for you to see the environment and get a sense of landscapes and artistic themes was very interesting.

BlueTsunami

szaromir said:
It had motion blur, depth of field and use of low contrast colours to mask lack of AA.

Wow, so Dennis did what Epic couldn't? Hwwaaaaaaaa? I'm wondering if hes working closely with them or got some type of special update that Unreal couldn't implement in GoW.

That screen looks a lot like Gears of War, but with different character designs and larger maps.

That's a compliment, btw. Very nice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frame rate, camera and seamless loading are no longer problems.
I'm confused - how does he expect us to see those in a screenshot? Is there more media where this came from?

Luckett_X

Banned
I guess this gen is hard to impress, but I'm so sick of caves, muted pallettes and 'futuristic' metal plating. Its all so played out and done. Art direction has finally become the main hurdle for games to cross. Graphically they could be firing on all cylinders, but if it looks dull; it looks dull. I'm feeling nothing from this screen.

I always seem to see Mass Effect and Too Human as like brothers. Mass Effect's architecture and lighting interest me, while Too Human does nothing for me. Not a game for me I guess.

it looks good enough, although the charaters dont look up to speck at this stage.

That been said it doesnt wow, it looks to close to gears, in fact the background looks stright out of gears. Gears looks great, but this wont be released for a while, so it doesnt wow from this screen

peace

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've really can't wait to see this game once its complete, hope we get some more screen shots.

szaromir

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Wow, so Dennis did what Epic couldn't? Hwwaaaaaaaa? I'm wondering if hes working closely with them or got some type of special update that Unreal couldn't implement in GoW.
Maybe they changed the way engine is rendering graphics (in particular shadows)? Seems so.
Can't way to see gameplay footage, I'm really intrigued hot the game turns out.

Is there Too Human's/SK's official forum?

FirstInHell said:
You guys are insane if you do not think that screen does not look good.
just to clarify your double negative, you are saying that anyone that thinks that screen looks good is insane?

Dave Long

Banned
Yay! Another Xbox 360 game that looks like Gears of War! How many gray or brown games can there be? Find out in four years time!

kaching said:
I'm confused - how does he expect us to see those in a screenshot? Is there more media where this came from?

Seamless loading, at least, is implied by the two visible entrances to other areas? Maybe?

I just want to see more art of the architecture again. I love this game's design.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Luckett_X said:
I guess this gen is hard to impress, but I'm so sick of caves, muted pallettes and 'futuristic' metal plating. Its all so played out and done. Art direction has finally become the main hurdle for games to cross. Graphically they could be firing on all cylinders, but if it looks dull; it looks dull. I'm feeling nothing from this screen.

I always seem to see Mass Effect and Too Human as like brothers. Mass Effect's architecture and lighting interest me, while Too Human does nothing for me. Not a game for me I guess.

I agree 100%

Nozi

Banned
That screen looks fantastic. I don't like the characters that much but the texturing, geometry and lighting are all top notch. And, for once its a direct feed grab, not a bullshot and it still holds up.

Dolphin

Banned
m0dus said:
I think it looks simply awesome. It's evident they are putting a ton of work into this.

People should get a clue that they got (and are STILL GETTING, after a quick perusal of some of the more condescending replies in this thread) way too much flak for their E3 showing.
kutaragicry.gif

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Aristotlekh said:
Blood Omen was a horrible game with unexcusable load times for a 2D piece of shit.

best ps1 game next to Metal Gear Solid

P.S. I always thought this looked awesome and people were way too fast to jump on the hate bandwagon with the E3 demo. It never looked bad, just like it had technology problems - I even believed the "changing the loading tech" excuse. The camera looked interesting, the combat looked fun and easy to get into, and the art was beautiful. The way the camera panned back enough for you to see the character's actions but also enough for you to see the environment and get a sense of landscapes and artistic themes was very interesting.

So how are those facilities in Ontario? Cozy?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I have no sympathy for all the ice cold flack they caught for showing the game when it wasn't ready obviously somebody made a bad call and we judged what we saw. However I am still willing to give the game a fair shot but lets just say this will be the last game to garner a Project Ego/Fable leap of faith from consumers. Reviews and impressions had better be fantastic and this is comin from a rare fan of Eternal Darkness.

Haunted

sp0rsk said:
Delivering the funny once again. :lol His expression really fits.

Well, after the E3 showing I don't have high hopes for the game, but I won't give the devs any more flak - Good luck and may you prove me wrong Denis.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Looks decent. Nothing to scream about. The only way this game can redeem itself in my eyes is by showing the damn game. Videos showing why it is way beyond the (terrible) E3 demo. Not by showing a screenshot with accompanying explanation stating as much.

We'll see soon I hope.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BenjaminBirdie said:
Seamless loading, at least, is implied by the two visible entrances to other areas? Maybe?
Don't do it, Ben - plenty of games show you exactly what's ahead of you and still have non-seamless loading before you get there, so seeing entrances to other areas is hardly a guarantee. Not that I think his claims should be suspect in any way, I just don't see how he expects us to see that truly corroborated in a screenshot.

C4Lukins

It has always looked great, so that is the least of my concerns with the game. I am still hyped about it, and hope it blows everyone away.

Top Bottom