• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deodorant-age - the important topic of a proper deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
image_676.png

Probably the best deodorant I have tried. Keeps the smell all day and doesn't leave the the white stains on my shirts.

krae_man

I only use regular Old Spice. I've got rashes before using other brands I've been given as a gift so I just stick to what I know works and doesn't give me a rash.

Ovid

krae_man said:
I only use regular Old Spice. I've got rashes before on other brands I've been given as a gift so I just stick to what I know works and doesn't give me a rash.
My first GAF post in three weeks.

I'm the complete opposite. Old Spice seems to give me rashes so I switched to Brut.

Lourio

I would only get rashes if I were to use anything that's 'clear stick'. Since I been using the 'white powder stick' type I haven't had any rashes.

Pro Tip: Best deodorant is the deodorant that doesn't give a strong scent. The same is true for your soap and lotion.

Why? Because all of those smells tend to have a negative overall effect on your cologne, which is how you *actually* want to smell.

Next time you go to the store, buy unscented everything unless you don't wear cologne.

Aad

I shower twice a day and never use deodorant. Then again I don't sweat much, also I keep my armpit hair trimmed.

MjFrancis

Dreams-Visions said:
Pro Tip: Best deodorant is the deodorant that doesn't give a strong scent. The same is true for your soap and lotion.
That's the truth right there. Don't continue the same mistakes of your high school years into adulthood; lightly scented fragrances are best.

I've read that it stains some people's shirts, but in my experience a modest application of Gillette clear gel does the trick. It's also an anti-perspirant, so keep that in mind if that isn't your thing.

---

Small rant: I've come to absolutely loathe Axe deodorant. It's the flagship brand of people who don't shower and believe application of Axe will make up for their deficit of cleanliness (a horrible third smell emerges instead) and those who overapply in the first place because they like buying a new spray bottle every other week and smelling like a ladies perfume store. Scourge of the Western world, I say.

woodchuck

I had an allergic reaction to red zone last year after years of using it.

Began using Mitchum unscented and love it. I'll let the cologne do it's thing without interference by the deodorant.

So I can't use anti-perspiration deodorants because of skin irritation after use.
I use this Dove deodorant that eventually causes skin irritation anyway and it's not anti-perspiration.

Really, pretty much everything I've tried causes irritation after use. WHAT CAN I USE!

Also I live in the USA and don't want to spend a lot on deodorant.

ssolitare said:
So I can't use anti-perspiration deodorants because of skin irritation after use.
I use this Dove deodorant that eventually causes skin irritation anyway and it's not anti-perspiration.

Really, pretty much everything I've tried causes irritation after use. WHAT CAN I USE!

Also I live in the USA and don't want to spend a lot on deodorant.

Arm and Hammer makes a decent natural deodorant:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CI8NZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You might need a second application in the afternoon, evening though

Gonky said:
Look at the picture again

oh wow, someone's marketing team fucked up haha

apana

Vox-Pop said:
Does shaving your pits actually work? I've tried a couple of brands but they never stop me from sweating and only cover the smell.

Isn't it a bad idea to shave your arm pits and use deodorant because of the cuts? Anyways Old Spice was a little too strong for me. I use something else but I cant remember the name, it's a brand name and comes in a little grey container. I think it may be Gillette.

Heavy said:
Fy2zU.jpg

Wow, this sounds great. Available in regular stores?
Yeah, I just find it at the local supermarkets.

I'm glad this got bumped, because I've been wondering for actually how long I'd been using my stick. It's supposed to last a year, and I got about 14 months out of it. Not bad for $4.99. There's still plenty of product left, it just split down the middle and is a little unwieldy to apply. I guess it gets weakened structurally from running it under water.

I switched to the "spray pump" version, just to try something new.

apana said:
Isn't it a bad idea to shave your arm pits and use deodorant because of the cuts?

trimming is fine too. but sanitize the shit out of the scissors first. I learned this the hard way and got bad cysts after a trim once. Pretty embarrassing to explain why you want to fuck with a t-shirt on :(

Angry Fork

I looked up 'deodorant' on amazon and got whatever was most popular/highly rated which ended up being the old spice high endurance thing I think. Works great for sure even though female deodorants smell so much better.

Clydefrog

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm going to try the Degree. Is it gel or will it stain your clothes with white shit all over it?

I use Degree (not the specific one you quoted) but it is the white roll-on stuff.

apana

apana said:
Isn't it a bad idea to shave your arm pits and use deodorant because of the cuts? Anyways Old Spice was a little too strong for me. I use something else but I cant remember the name, it's a brand name and comes in a little grey container. I think it may be Gillette.

Yes it was Gillette. Here is the picture of similar ones:

10348d1253847460-gillette-gel-deodorant-3-1-00-wal-mart-coupon-p9240242.jpg

Also I found this image while searching, scary stuff:

armpit3.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Has anyone tried that Drysol prescription deodorant? I've wasted too much money on deodorants that are supposed to prevent excessive sweating and I hear that this does the trick. None of the "clinical" ones work either. The closest thing that has come to almost working was that roll on Mitchum....but even that craps out after about an hour.

It's so annoying because you'd never think I sweat a lot being so trim but I sweat like a pig >_<

Giard

K573634.jpg

Smells strong and good. Before that I used Irish Spring.

Can't use anti-perspirants cause they make my armpits itch.

mjc said:
Old-Spice-High-Endurance-Deodorant-Pure-Sport.jpg

Bow to your lord. I've been using it for years, no breakdown, no stains, great smell.

Ok maybe I'll try this. I'm just worried that all Old Spices are the same and this one will end up making my armpits dry and sticky by the of the day. And I work inside a store, with AC. And I'm lean, too. It isn't like i'm some fat fuck who sweats a lot.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I usually don't like my deodorant to smell like cheap cologne so I go with something that doesn't have much of a smell, or if it does it's more of a subtle showered/fresh smell. I usually use Dove because of this, but I tried Old Spice Fresh and found it actually doesn't layer badly with one of the main colognes I use (YSL L'homme) so I'll wear it if I'm wearing that. Otherwise just the Dove.

NeoGAF is ahead of the curve on this one. Old Spice has some great scents... and chicks think you smell amazing. It's like non-stop compliments.

Don't even need cologne anymore.

Dipper145

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Ok maybe I'll try this. I'm just worried that all Old Spices are the same and this one will end up making my armpits dry and sticky by the of the day. And I work inside a store, with AC. And I'm lean, too. It isn't like i'm some fat fuck who sweats a lot.
All the old spice that looks the same (in a similar container) will behave the same, other then the smell.

I also use pure sport and love it, my brother uses old spice too, the same type, blue roll on because it doesn't stain. People who use the white anti-perspirant sticks, what's your magical secret to not getting stains? Or do you just not notice them?

Dipper145 said:
All the old spice that looks the same (in a similar container) will behave the same, other then the smell.

I also use pure sport and love it, my brother uses old spice too, the same type, blue roll on because it doesn't stain. People who use the white anti-perspirant sticks, what's your magical secret to not getting stains? Or do you just not notice them?

Hmm. Bummer.

The magical secret? A co-worker said try another way of putting on your shirt. I was like "?" and then I was like "=\"

adamsappel said:
I've been using this for a couple of weeks now:

Fy2zU.jpg

I've used one of these for a while (I think the one stick has lasted me over a year now). During cool seasons it works fine on it's own, but in the summer I have to dash a bit of baking soda on my armpits for added protection. Then again I seem to sweat a bit more than is normal.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I used to use Irish Spring deodorant, but I have not been able to find it in a while, only their anti-perspirant which works, but gives my shirts armpit stains. And its a weird sticky consistency.

Anyone have a good solution to armpit stains other than new shirts, which is what I do now?

I may contact Irish SPring and let them know the new product sucks.

ProtoCents said:
NeoGAF is ahead of the curve on this one. Old Spice has some great scents... and chicks think you smell amazing. It's like non-stop compliments.

Don't even need cologne anymore.
1. Like what scents did you get the most compliments from chicks? please elaborate, lol
2. Deodorant or body wash or both?
3. So random girls you walk by or maybe someone in your class compliment? or do you mean like girls you're dating or really close friends with?

Heavy said:
1. Like what scents did you get the most compliments from chicks? please elaborate, lol
2. Deodorant or body wash or both?
3. So random girls you walk by or maybe someone in your class compliment? or do you mean like girls you're dating or really close friends with?

1.The swagger (ugh, I hate this fucking word) scent deodorant is the only one I've used and have been using it for 2+ years now. From the sound of posters in this thread though the other scents are great too.

2.Deodorant, but I'm sure the body wash has the same scents available as well. Probably won't last as long as the deodorant.

3. And I'm talking about girls that you are already familiar with. Shitty thing about girls is... very rarely will they approach you out of nowhere and start up a conversation. But I'm sure NeoGAF knows this, lol.

I discovered how crazy it made girls when I was just walking around in a large group exploring a new city while abroad. I hadn't showered in days. One of the girls exclaimed, "OMG, what is that smell." I thought she was fucking talking about my BO. Then people started sniffing and the rest of the girls practically turned into the dumb nymphos in AXE commercials. It was weird as I had no idea the scent was that good. It's not a strong scent, just a good and subtle scent. Good enough to make them go nuts. Subtle enough for them to have to sniff around.

One of them got fucked too. So take that for what it's worth.

Jesus. I sound like an Old Spice viral marketer.

ProtoCents said:
1.The swagger (ugh, I hate this fucking word) scent deodorant is the only one I've used and have been using it for 2+ years now. From the sound of posters in this thread though the other scents are great too.

2.Deodorant, but I'm sure the body wash has the same scents available as well. Probably won't last as long as the deodorant.

3. And I'm talking about girls that you are already familiar with. Shitty thing about girls is... very rarely will they approach you out of nowhere and start up a conversation. But I'm sure NeoGAF knows this, lol.

I discovered how crazy it made girls when I was just walking around in a large group exploring a new city while abroad. I hadn't showered in days. One of the girls exclaimed, "OMG, what is that smell." I thought she was fucking talking about my BO. Then people started sniffing and the rest of the girls practically turned into the dumb nymphos in AXE commercials. It was weird as I had no idea the scent was that good. It's not a strong scent, just a good and subtle scent. Good enough to make them go nuts. Subtle enough for them to have to sniff around.

One of them got fucked too. So take that for what it's worth.

Jesus. I sound like an Old Spice viral marketer.
Geez.. lol. Hmm I'm gonna go buy the Swagger scent this weekend. I wonder how easy it is to smell through shirts and stuff though especially in the winter time when I'll be wearing hoodies and sweaters and stuff. I don't really wear t-shirts because I have a lil belly and it shows if I wear a t-shirt and nothing else.

kamspy

Speed Stick Powder scent, invisible solid.

Can weld all day and not sweat through it. Doesn't clash with cologne very much. It's cheap.

Good stuff. Also, no armpit dingleberries with this stuff. I've strayed at times during sales, and most other stuff gives me armpit dingleberries. Also, I can't fucks wit the gel.

Kyoufu

milanbaros said:
What is with all the roll-on love? I only use aerosols and I don't know any men that use roll-ons only women. Is it an American thing?

I'm from the UK btw.

Aerosols are for chavs.

Enco

I'd be embarrassed to use Lynx/Axe.

Might give Old Spice After Hours a try from the recommendations in here.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Enco said:
I'd be embarrassed to use Lynx/Axe.

The sillage is too great in my opinion, based on the ones I've smelled people wearing. They can be like a really powerful cologne which doesn't smell all that great. A couple were headache inducing. I haven't smelled all of them though.

Brannon

Any deodorant with as little scent as possible is my preference. Scent is what body wash/soap is for, gosh darn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom