• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deport Racism releases video of Latino American children telling off Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
End of the day this ad nor any other ad is going to change the minds of idiots that are smoking what Trump is selling. But it was damn funny.

And I am not a big fan of the "all racists need is love, understanding, and respect" movement.
Yup. It's easy to say the bolded when you aren't the target for being called an anchor baby, illegal, wetback, spic, rapist, drug dealer and murderer.

Henkka

Banned
I don't really understand this type of activism. You're telling the people who you want to impact to go fuck themselves. Basically these videos are designed to make the people who already agree with them to be all "YYAAASSS PREACH". Meanwhile, actual racists and people on the fence will only feel attacked and go on the defensive, further pushing them away from the message.

Or rather, honestly, it's designed to be as viral as possible and sell t-shirts.

I don't really understand this type of activism. You're telling the people who you want to impact to go fuck themselves. Basically these videos are designed to make the people who already agree with them to be all "YYAAASSS PREACH". Meanwhile, actual racists and people on the fence will only feel attacked and go on the defensive, further pushing them away from the message.

Or rather, honestly, it's designed to be as viral as possible and sell t-shirts.

If some kids cursing makes people feel attacked and go on the defensive I doubt any message would change their minds. The idea of people "on the fence" about racism is kinda funny though.

Henkka

Banned
If some kids cursing makes people feel attacked and go on the defensive I doubt any message would change their minds. The idea of people "on the fence" about racism is kinda funny though.

Well, on the fence about voting for Trump or whatever. I'm assuming they're assuming there exists some portion of the population, a target demographic, that can be affected positively by this sort of activism. If not, why make the video?

...To sell t-shirts, right.

To be honest, I think it's strategic. More of an attempt to boost Trump's numbers because of the effect you mention. Trump winning the GOP primary is the best thing possible for Hilary.

Where the fuck did I say ANY of that?

You said it when you made a comparison of the kids swearing and cheapening a message and people actively working towards discriminating against them. One is clearly worse than the other, but nah, let's just focus on kids saying fuck or pendejo because it was scripted.

What I'm saying is don't lump in people who don't like kids swearing with people who obsess over gun culture and/or violence in the media.

I never made that argument and that's not the argument you made in your post that I quoted..

I don't have an issue with calling Trump a motherfucker, in general, because I think he definitely is, especially on this topic. You could have 18 year olds who were born here and are brown that can say that and I don't have any issue with it. I do have an issue with kids younger than 10 doing it.

Why? Because it politicizes them? Cheapens the message? What people with delicate sensibilities are missing is the fact that the act of swearing is rooted in empowerment. See, they're kids. They're supposed to be curious, but not too curious. Quiet, but not too quiet. And most of all, obedient. Well Fuck that noise. I'm not saying that I'm going to let my kid swear whenever and wherever they are, but I'm going to say that there's a time and place to do it. The ad is one such outlet. This isn't that white girl spewing political venom while being coached by her mother to get into a book signing with Trump.

Slayven

They semi-mystical fence sitters always come up. Frankly if they are that fickle they can stay whereever they are at clutching their pearls

Henkka

Banned
They semi-mystical fence sitters always come up. Frankly if they are that fickle they can stay whereever they are at clutching their pearls

If there aren't any, why engage in activism? Isn't that the whole point, to convert new people to your cause? I suppose you could say that isn't the point, it's to motivate and activate people who already agree. That's nice, but it won't make a difference in the voting booths. Edit: Or actually yeah it would, if those people would have otherwise skipped voting altogether. Guess that's something, at least.

Honestly, if anyone is actually on the fence I think it's safe to call a spade a spade.

If there aren't any, why engage in activism? Isn't that the whole point, to convert new people to your cause? I suppose you could say that isn't the point, it's to motivate and activate people who already agree. That's nice, but it won't make a difference in the voting booths.

I don't think the point of this video was to convince anyone to stop being racist. The point is to energize people to get out to vote. This is a problem democrats have, so it actually will make a difference.

You said it when you made a comparison of the kids swearing and cheapening a message and people actively working towards discriminating against them. One is clearly worse than the other, but nah, let's just focus on kids saying fuck or pendejo because it was scripted.
Then I wasn't clear enough. I was never intending to compare the two sides. I was saying that the message the kids had was good in my third paragraph. All of the problems they brought up were valid points and I like that they talk about them. What I don't like is how they conveyed that message. That's my bad.

I never made that argument and that's not the argument you made in your post that I quoted.
Never meant to imply that you did. gutter_trash's comment came off to me as making that argument and I was arguing that is not the case. Again, my bad on that.

Why? Because it politicizes them? Cheapens the message? What people with delicate sensibilities are missing is the fact that the act of swearing is rooted in empowerment. See, they're kids. They're supposed to be curious, but not too curious. Quiet, but not too quiet. And most of all, obedient. Well Fuck that noise. I'm not saying that I'm going to let my kid swear whenever and wherever they are, but I'm going to say that there's a time and place to do it. The ad is one such outlet. This isn't that white girl spewing political venom while being coached by her mother to get into a book signing with Trump.
I don't see it as empowerment when you give a child something to say that is intended to sensationalize. I see that as exploitation. If the kids came up with that shit on their own, that's cool. But I highly doubt that they did. (Maybe the older kid with braces, but that little girl? Come on.) But I'm in new dad mode (just had my first son 11 weeks ago) so who knows how I'll feel in 11 years.

I don't think the point of this video was to convince anyone to stop being racist. The point is to energize people to get out to vote. This is a problem democrats have, so it actually will make a difference.
This makes things a bit clearer to me. The ad is clearly not intended for me, even though I will be voting and definitely not for Trump lol.

Same. Awful video. Literally everything about it is shit. HEY LETS BE EDGY AND COUNTERATTACK. SURELY THIS WILL CONVINCE XENOPHOBES. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? This is the type of thing that actually justifies the whole "all minorities are thugs" stereotype. I even disliked the fucking video.

Yet I agree. Fuck Trump

Nothing justifies that.

tbm24

are they kidding with this? Trump is a rude prick , why make a video full of kids stooping to his level?
To show that Trump is infact a man child I'd imagine. This video isn't trying to convince anyone who's in agreement with Trump's ideas and feelings. At least that's how I'm taking it.

Dai101

Banned
End of the day this ad nor any other ad is going to change the minds of idiots that are smoking what Trump is selling. But it was damn funny.

And I am not a big fan of the "all racists need is love, understanding, and respect" movement.

Mah man Slay, laying the truth.

are they kidding with this? Trump is a rude prick , why make a video full of kids stooping to his level?

I don't see this as being anything more than letting off steam. I can't see this sway people's opinion, and if anything, given HOW Republicans and Conservatives act, they'll just find some way to spin into how "minorities are vulgar and low-class" and are "criminals in the making".

Though, just reading the phrase "deport racism"... someone might have a point there. Maybe it's high time to round up all the racists and deport them to, I don't know, Russia. Yeah, that sounds about right!

bsp

So FCKH8 not only created some terrible videos, they created a terrible trend.

Anger, in at least a lot of cases, only serves to reinforce those that already support you. We know how hard it is to convince people to change their minds on subjects (especially more "deeply-held" ones like racism and religion) and how this angle is hugely detrimental. You will get no empathy or establish a sense of relation/comparable lives. Sure, people these ads target may in fact deserve to be ridiculed -- but the point is to make an understanding shift in the culture and not give them more reasons to dislike you.

Fitts

They should be deported. Not because they're latino, but because I can't stand precocious children.

What an ill advised video.

This is no worse than those parents that have their kids pose with their guns to spread messages against gun control. At least this form of child exploitation is being used for a good cause.

"Deport this!"

lol okay

This video preaches to a small choir who are already on board, I think for most people its off-putting. It makes the whole pro-immigration/anti-deportation crowd look bad.

"Ours is the sensible, moral position, and that's why we manipulate children to shout fuck on camera and offer a standing bounty for disrupting a political opponent on SNL."

params7

Banned
It says right on both site's About Us page that Luke Montgomery is the campaign manager, no need to dig into the source code to find that. The sites are also literally exactly the same, only with a few color/logo changes.

Honestly, he just seems like a guy making internet campaigns. I don't think there's any connection to the Clinton campaign besides the fact that he supports her for president.

What's weird is even though he has a pac out for Hillary, he linked to Bernie Sander's Feel The Bern pac on his site. Looks like he removed it now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom