• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 character creator is almost identitical to the Destiny's

I've read nothing but bad things about the sequel around these parts.

I guess taking a wait and see approach this time around. was the best move that I could've made.

The bad things this time are absolutel insignificant. That's how you know they fixed most of the parts that actually matter.

Shredderi

It's pretty bizarre alright. The first game's fidelity was held back by the legacy platforms, right? So how come these look objectively worse? It should look visually better from top to bottom. I hope this is some kind of "oh shit how come no one put the fix live on this?!" thing.

My guy from D1 was a robot so he looks fine in D2. Those screens look kinda crappy though. The hair is not great accross the board. I tried making an awoken but they basically just look like space emo's. So just went with my robo hunter from D1 in the end and it looks fine.

I was a bit surprised that the options seemed basically the same but i cant say I care to much. There is still enought that most people will look different and with all the armour covering everything up I tend not to care.

Nameless

Also, this is what my Destiny 1 character ended up looking like in Destiny 2 (Destiny 1 on left, Destiny 2 on right):

destiny12characterjmu1g.jpg

Yeah, I made new character and class partly due to my original Titan looking so fucked up and bulky.

It's weird that the player characters look so bad. The other characters look okay.
Everything about my character (female blue-person import from D1) looks a bit off. It looks like a ME:Andromeda character, emotionless and flat.

Overall, the game is a big improvement on D1 based on my first few hours (too early to tell its long term appeal), but the character designer should be much better.

I guess taking a wait and see approach this time around. was the best move that I could've made.
Lol what? The game is fantastic

But by all means use whatever you like to convince yourself

Murman

It's pretty bizarre alright. The first game's fidelity was held back by the legacy platforms, right? So how come these look objectively worse? It should look visually better from top to bottom. I hope this is some kind of "oh shit how come no one put the fix live on this?!" thing.

I would agree, the characters should at the very least look marginally better. (Maybe they do, I won't be playing Destiny 2 until it comes out for PC).

I guess they're in an awkward spot. Do you create new bombastic hairstyles/other customization options for new characters or keep what you offered in the first game because a lot of people will want to carry on their old guardian from Destiny 1 and wouldn't want to feel left out.

Easy solution for that would be, allow the player to make changes to their imported guardian (do they offer this already?). Whatever the reason for their decision, I am disappointed that the character creator is as limited as in the first game.

ViciousDS

Banned

Rule of thumb for Destiny around these parts.....is stick to the OT for real questions and impressions, everything else people will go out of their way at times to shit on the game. See the engram thread for proof of that. It's how it ALWAYS has been.

ahm... i played more than 800 hours and platinum the first one to know that this is just an expansion at full price.

So you didn't play it....good to know

Kazuhira

Character creators are huge plus for me,i can spend hours with them.
It's not a "woah,what a issue! i'm not buying it!" but it is very dissapointing and it seems this type of games are lacking in this aspect lately,like The Division from recent memory

ahm... i played more than 800 hours and platinum the first one to know that this is just an expansion at full price.
This is totally false, you clearly dont know what you are talking about and have not even played it.game is immense.

This is a big sequel, that is clear. Way more content than D1, everything is better.

I remember someone from bungie talking about not underestimating people when it comes to having beards and more features in the character editor, and they hardly changed it after two years?

Destiny 2 is a full on sequel sure but it really does have some odd choices going on.

*edit* the lighting style from the menu of destiny 1 compared to 2 is like a step backwards in quality.

Neverfade

It's not identical -- it's worse. My transferred character looks like a cross between some proto-human and that weird demon face that appears in the shadows in the Exorcist.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is totally false, you clearly dont know what you are talking about and have not even played it.game is immense.

There is a big sequel, that is clear. Way more content than D1, everything is better.

Do you know how many hours does it take to finish the main campaign?

I know the campaign is obviously not the extent of what D2 has to offer but i've seen a ton of people mention that they've already finished it and are just running strikes over and over to gear up for the raid that's coming next week.

I'll admit that I scratched my head when I saw D2 had only four planets again, but in terms of size and mission count, would you say there's at least a ton more content per planet?

If you actively ignore the positive review thread and OT and only bother to read the negative things about the game, maybe you've already made up your mind a long time ago.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I do love Destiny 2 but there are ALOT of re-used assets/re-skins of Destiny items.
My son Kaijuseijin kinda knows his stuff(has been in top 100 globally of competitive Trials) and I can hear him from the other room "That's a re-skin Bungie!".

Look, I understand it's not so bad to re-use perfectly good assets when it took time/effort/money to make them(Hollywood does this all the time-The Transformers films have used re-cut scenes!).

However, when you're asking premium pricing for the game, a ton of the content better be new.

I don't want to really get into spoilers but
Besides some new Cabal designs, all we have so far are re-skins of Hive, Taken and returning enemies with little to no changes-servitors for example.

All this said, we're still having a ton of fun playing it and at the end of the day, it's what matters most to us.

For all the nay-sayers saying there was not content in the first game, there seems to be a TON of different things to do in this game, especially
the open patrols on the different planets. Huge areas to explore and investigate!

So while we grind for out light levels for the Raid and Trials coming soon(you have to admit, Bungie is on point with this release-Raid and Trials practically coming out right around launch) don't forget to stop and smell the roses errr dead
Cabal bodies!

Cheers Guardians!

Edit-Asked Luke Smith, Mark Noseworthy, Cozmo and Bungie on Twitter when we could expect HDR support patched in for PS4 Pros and didn't hear a peep. Any insiders know anything they can let us know? Game already looks fantastic, HDR on 4K will be jaw dropping!

Do you know how many hours does it take to finish the main campaign?

I know the campaign is obviously not the extent of what D2 has to offer but i've seen a ton of people mention that they've already finished it and are just running strikes over and over to gear up for the raid that's coming next week.

I'll admit that I scratched my head when I saw D2 had only four planets again, but in terms of size and mission count, would you say there's at least a ton more content per planet?

The planets are way bigger, there is far more to do. Adventures can be fairly long story missions and there are a bunch on each planet besides an 8 to 10 hour campaign. There us also a lot more exploration. If people are grinding strikes its a choice not necessity.

As someone with like, 600+ hours in D1

I'ma say this is equivalent to a WoW expansion. And that's ok. It doesn't detract anything from it.

But I mean...if they don't fix what they're gonna do for D3, then well...

As someone with like, 600+ hours in D1

I'ma say this is equivalent to a WoW expansion. And that's ok. It doesn't detract anything from it.

But I mean...if they don't fix what they're gonna do for D3, then well...
Nonsense, by this logic every sequel is an expansion. Its a full fledged sequel in every way.

Fury451

Banned
Lots of things in D2 are almost identical to D1, so no surprises!

I'm sure as hell enjoying it a lot more a lot faster than I ever did with the first game, but if you were to tell me that this game was a glorified expansion pack, I wouldn't really make an argument against that. It refines a lot of things I didn't like about the first game, but I am quite surprised about the lack of new things as well

Pepboy

Nonsense, by this logic every sequel is an expansion. Its a full fledged sequel in every way.

What are you talking about? What "logic"? The user was posting that based on the limited content and reuse of assets, it felt like an expansion. That does not immediately imply that every sequel is an expansion.

"Boy these pretzels are making me thirsty." Does not imply "By this logic, every pretzel makes you thirsty."

But maybe you are just copypasting your replies from other threads/forums? I can't tell because it reads as a bit generic with nothing specific to back it up.

xuchu

Mine came out similar but slight changes. I do like the metal work finish on the Exo though, much better imho.

Nice. You created new but similar guardians in D2. However, that character creation screen is not indicative of how the lighting engine in D2 works for some reason.

Can we see comparison pics in the farm if at all possible, because mine and lots of other imported characters have come out looking very different to D1 if not straight up worse considering the lighting changes.

What are you talking about? What "logic"? The user was posting that based on the limited content and reuse of assets, it felt like an expansion. That does not immediately imply that every sequel is an expansion.

"Boy these pretzels are making me thirsty." Does not imply "By this logic, every pretzel makes you thirsty."

But maybe you are just copypasting your replies from other threads/forums? I can't tell because it reads as a bit generic with nothing specific to back it up.
This can't be a real post.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This can't be a real post.

You could, you know, correct his mistakes?

This thread is about the character creator being the exact same. In a similar vein, there's talk on how a lot of D1 assets and enemy models are re-used for D2. Do you say otherwise? Then say so, instead of this passive-aggressive snark.

You could, you know, correct his mistakes?

This thread is about the character creator being the exact same. In a similar vein, there's talk on how a lot of D1 assets and enemy models are re-used for D2. Do you say otherwise? Then say so, instead of this passive-aggressive snark.
He could, you know, play the game before posting shite. But that seems a step too far for some of you.

I felt the same way when I read "fully fledged sequel in every way" in a thread that literally shows the limited character creator is virtually unchanged.
Lol at your hyperbole, yes just because the character creator its an expansion. Get teal. Every sequel ever reuses some assets. Development, how does it work. Its far too big to be an expansion. By your logic every sequel is an expansion.

Pepboy

OK it isn't a real post. Good to know.

Guess I'll make real posts when they make a real sequel.
sorry couldn't resist since you teed it up for me :p

Okay I'm out for now, I wasn't planning to get this day one anyways so I'll wait for later reviews / see if Activision ramps up the pay2win elements like they did in COD BO3.

Guess I'll make real posts when they make a real sequel.
sorry couldn't resist since you teed it up for me :p

Okay I'm out for now, I wasn't planning to get this day one anyways so I'll wait for later reviews / see if Activision ramps up the pay2win elements like they did in COD BO3.
OK, that was good. You got me there!

Honestly, I think it's worth even watching a few streams. It's a huge step up from Destiny 1 and is a genuinely good game. They fumbled the ball in a couple of places, the character creator being one but most things are a massive step up.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I actually thought my character looks better. There are no major changes but it's good enough for me. 99% of the time they are shown with their helmet on. I care more about helmet designs than what my character looks like so yeah..

Top Bottom