• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 f2p is a scam

NickFire

You're pissy because it's content you didn't like but you spent the money on, then? LOL, legit my man, I spent 60 on Anthem this year and I feel totally burned but you know what? If they made it free to play I wouldn't give two shits because jealousy and envy aren't coded into my DNA.
Holy crap. You called me a sad, petulant child a few posts up. Now you're telling me you're at peace with paying for Anthem caused jealousy and envy isn't coded in your DNA. It's like conversing with a bi-polar cuck.

But yeah, I am still pissed. I get that way if I buy something, it sucks, and every fix cost money.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wait, destiny 2 didn't get better after Bungies freedom from Activisions greasy palms?
notsurprisedkirk.jpg

Holy crap. You called me a sad, petulant child a few posts up. Now you're telling me you're at peace with paying for Anthem caused jealousy and envy isn't coded in your DNA. It's like conversing with a bi-polar cuck.

What about those two statements is in anyway contradictory or makes me bi-polar? I'm not a petulant child crying about people getting stuff I paid for free. I also wouldn't do it for a game I didn't like, like Anthem because I'm not so jealous and envious that I even am jealous of people getting something I already have free or charge, being that envious and jealous would require DNA restructuring or some shit, that was the idea behind the joke. Not sure how the ideas are contradictory in anyway.

ethomaz

Banned
Unless things changed very very recently, you don't need PS+ for online f2p games (I played Warframe a long time ago without a subscription as far as I can tell)... You are not the first one to say this, so it must not be widely known.
The Destiny Demo before required PS+.
That Destiny F2P not.

That is what he is saying... yes F2P doesn't require Plus on PS4.

Last edited:

DonF

Yeah, its like what nintendo said with kirby, its a "free to start" game.

If you like what you played and want more, want to be more powerful, access the most difficult and rewarding late game stuff, you have to pay.

FranXico

Isn't it technically a paid game we get for free?
Sony have always covered their asses about the f2p PS+ non-requirement. They have always claimed "some free-to-play games do not require PS+. Contact the publisher if you wish to confirm."
Of course, up until now, nobody wanted to be the first jerk that requires it. But who knows.

Ribi

I really don't get how people still play this old grindy mess of a game that is just destiny 1.5 and even destiny fucking sucked

ethomaz

Banned
I really don't get how people still play this old grindy mess of a game that is just destiny 1.5 and even destiny fucking sucked
Because it continues being awesome.
Gameplay is the best of the market by a long shot.
Like some says it is not from this world.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

OP is cheap and wants everything available. Since it's not all free it's a scam. What a joke. They have said exactly what is included for a while now. You need to learn to read.

There are different F2P models. They aren't all like warframe where you have to grind endlessly in a shit game to get some shit content. Or like fortnite wear they get billions from people buying skins. Even in f2p games like fortnite you have to buy the season pass to get any of the loot worth anything. Which is what 10-15$? So shadowkeep is 35$.

You don't have to purchase foresaken, you can just buy shadowkeep. Maybe the playstation store isn't updated yet. but you should just be able to buy shadowkeep. Stop trying to go through the in game system, go directly to the ps store and you can get it there.

Dibils2k

how is it a scam??? they are saying you can get destiny 2 for free... and i can get destiny 2 for free

why would you expect later DLC to be part of it

Psykodad

Banned
Sony have always covered their asses about the f2p PS+ non-requirement. They have always claimed "some free-to-play games do not require PS+. Contact the publisher if you wish to confirm."
Of course, up until now, nobody wanted to be the first jerk that requires it. But who knows.
I wouldn't put D2 with all the other f2p games though.
It's a promotional move for Shadowkeep and their new direction.
They somehow have to regain the trust of the 80% of fans they lost.

I wouldn't put D2 with all the other f2p games though.
It's a promotional move for Shadowkeep and their new direction.
They somehow have to regain the trust of the 80% of fans they lost.

That's total speculation, the move to free to play happened after they broke from Activision, there's no way of knowing how long they wanted to move in that direction and whether or not Activision put up road blocks. Does Activision have any free to play games? Looking into that might reveal the real answer.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Even in f2p games like fortnite you have to buy the season pass to get any of the loot worth anything. Which is what 10-15$? So shadowkeep is 35$.

No sir. Destiny's battle pass is 10$ per season/25$ for three seasons. That's on top of the 35$ they ask for shadowkeep.

You don't have to purchase foresaken, you can just buy shadowkeep. Maybe the playstation store isn't updated yet. but you should just be able to buy shadowkeep. Stop trying to go through the in game system, go directly to the ps store and you can get it there.

Oh hello smartypants - do you wanna know what happens when I search for forsaken on the ps store? I get NOTHING, no results. If I go to the Destiny page, there's nothing Forsaken related available as DLC.

PhoenixTank

The game is not F2P, and I'm not sure I want it to be. Not clear where you got this notion from, OP but as mentioned previously "free to start" is the closest term for it.
If you want to play the new shit, you can grab Shadowkeep immediately without any other costs. Forsaken is only for old story stuff and associated quests. Good, but not required.
I don't see that as unfair.

This thread would be a hundred times funnier if I hadn't seen it on the steam forums already numerous times - hell of a low bar you've reached there.

Edit: Fair shout, it does say "free-to-play" in the steam description. Strange choice of words, but vastly different to other F2P games, IMHO.

Last edited:
No sir. Destiny's battle pass is 10$ per season/25$ for three seasons. That's on top of the 35$ they ask for shadowkeep.

If this past year's annual pass is anything to go on you get a substantial amount of content for that 25 dollar price. Certainly more than what a game like Fortnite gives you.

Psykodad

Banned
That's total speculation, the move to free to play happened after they broke from Activision, there's no way of knowing how long they wanted to move in that direction and whether or not Activision put up road blocks. Does Activision have any free to play games? Looking into that might reveal the real answer.
Don't know, but I never made a comment about Activision.

All I said is D2 isn't comparable to other f2p games on PS4.

Imagine Bungie saying D2 Y1 doesn't require PS+, but Forsaken and Shadowkeep (as well as D1) do require Ps+.
That would create a massive shitstorm.

The "f2p" aspect is nothing but PR to show some goodwill and to help promote Shadowkeep.
No idea how people suddenly expect it to be a typical f2p game.

Also, what does Sony have to do with this?

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
If this past year's annual pass is anything to go on you get a substantial amount of content for that 25 dollar price. Certainly more than what a game like Fortnite gives you.

Yea, you actually get end game content. It’s not just a battle pass as known in other games. That’s also why they’re not marketing as such.

Bungie itself has been very specific with their language but people just run off on fiction like in this topic

VertigoOA

Banned

Oh hello smartypants - do you wanna know what happens when I search for forsaken on the ps store? I get NOTHING, no results. If I go to the Destiny page, there's nothing Forsaken related available as DLC.

You buy the older campaigns in eververse...

The old skus should all be gone.

Lolololololololololol

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Because forsaken comes with shadowkeep?

ethomaz

Banned
But you can buy it on PS Store right now.

Forsaken doesn't come with Shadowkeep but you don't need it to play Shadowkeep.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I have never played Destiny, and now i get the whole Destiny 2 base game, and 2 expansions, free of charge. I dont really see what Bungie have done wrong here. I mean they could of easily put the base game on Steam and charged $30 for it, but instead they are giving it to people for free, and its first 2 expansions.
Sure you have to pay for the newer expansions etc, but you cant exspect them to give everything away for free, including the just launched Shadowkeep.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I have never played Destiny, and now i get the whole Destiny 2 base game, and 2 expansions, free of charge. I dont really see what Bungie have done wrong here. I mean they could of easily put the base game on Steam and charged $30 for it, but instead they are giving it to people for free, and its first 2 expansions.
Sure you have to pay for the newer expansions etc, but you can exspect them to give everything away for free, including the just launched Shadowkeep.
There is nothing wrong with at Bungie did at all.

The opposite they create a way to support new users and if they like to buy the expansions.

I hope next year the F2P Destiny 2 reaches Shadowkeep and you just have to pay for the new Expansion.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Yeah when I got burned on the first Destiny I told myself “Never again Bungie”

I did the same but I bought destiny 2 when it was like 10 bucks. The enemies are boring, the landscapes are terribly generic and sterile, the base game and especially paid content dlc were just so small and lacked any size, i hated having to go back to areas over and over again, what little story there is makes no god sense to me, and all the NPCs are really bland and I interesting, and the upgrade system is no fun at all. But far as gameplay mechanics and just running around and shooting stuff it is so satifying.

But I quit after the like 2 weeks it took me to play through all the content and do a couple raids and I won't ever go back. i just felt like I completely wasted my time playing it when I could have been playing better games I enjoyed more.

I had fun actually running and shooting and i tried to get into it but everything else just ruined it for me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
tbh what i could enjoy is a complete pack shadowkeep+forsaken for a single price.
imo that is what shadowkeep complete edition should have been.

in destiny 1 i remember getting something like this.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You buy the older campaigns in eververse...

The old skus should all be gone.

Lolololololololololol

Wrong, cuntwaffle.

When I go into Eververse and hit buy on Forsaken, the game opens up a ps storage page with a grayed out Destiny 2 logo that doesn't respond to commands.

Someone needs to read the thread.. Already been discussed how that is not the case.

PhoenixTank

Wrong, cuntwaffle.

When I go into Eververse and hit buy on Forsaken, the game opens up a ps storage page with a grayed out Destiny 2 logo that doesn't respond to commands.
I don't know what to tell you but, that seems like a failing of the PS store/OS.

Lvo8sHS.png

Give it a reboot in case something is messed up in caches/store config.
Any particular reason you're dead set on getting Forsaken right now?

Portugeezer

Are you aware how f2p games work? Go play warframe, go play fortnite. You only pay for mtx and the battle pass (and warframe gives you the battle pass for free as well).

Destiny is not a f2p game. Destiny is free to try the obsolete content game. That's why advertising it as f2p is a scam.

This is so called f2p launch is only a marketing event to lure new players in and also an excuse for the absurd amount of MTX being offred.
Why is it obsolete? Is there no story to play for free, no way to play SP?

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know what to tell you but, that seems like a failing of the PS store/OS.

Lvo8sHS.png

Give it a reboot in case something is messed up in caches/store config.
Any particular reason you're dead set on getting Forsaken right now?

I already did the whole song and dance last september when I was sorta thinking about giving it a try after it looked like they managed to unfuck the game.

I mean you're right, something got fantastically fucked in Sony's database, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I already did the whole song and dance last september when I was sorta thinking about giving it a try after it looked like they managed to unfuck the game.
Okay, but that doesn't really answer my question. Technical things have likely changed that might require the fresh song and dance of a reboot, and hopefully not a reinstall.
As far as I know if you grab Shadowkeep you should get the weapon roll changes that were brought along with Forsaken (clarity from anyone without Forsaken would be appreciated) but even without that I don't see a huge obstacle here that buying Forsaken is going to suddenly remove.

Checking out the game on Steam and I don't understand how the developers expect me to shell out $70 to get the latest content for a 2 year old game. I would be willing to spend $15 to $20 max for a season pass that includes everything.

Free to play my arse, it's a trial at best.

And the new content is 5 year old shit with a fresh lighting pass in their updated engine. Destiny fans are the biggest mugs in gaming.

Top Bottom