• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Launching on Battle.net (and maybe other Activision games someday)

Reknoc

You can change your region per game with the dropdown right above play. Like, the friends list thing is true (IE: if I log into europe I have few friends, but my launcher is still logged into the US so my launcher is still getting whispers and everything else), but it's not like some complicated process, and you're not 'locked' to shit.

Proof:
zkxtRK0.png

Heck, one of the guys I've been playing OW with a lot recently is a Korean dude who just logs into the american servers when he knows we'll be on because he doesn't like playing comp over in Korea. Is it 100% ideal? surely not, but it's not exactly a struggle or a hassle.

It's not ideal and no one else seems to do it like that. Overwatch definitely made it better but I still don't know if anyone is on in another region because your entire list is based on your region. Last I checked changing that required restarting battle.net, is it a massive stuggle? no, but it's still more steps than anyone else requires you to do for something as simple as a friendslist.

StereoVsn

What sucks is that there are no ways to get cheaper pricing for Blizzard games other then BeatBuy/Amazon and that also means sales will be sparse and that includes DLC.

It also means that for most people getting the game with the season pass bundles through Amazon/BestBuy would be the best option. That is if it's offered for PC version.

That is kind of unfortunate.

TheYanger

I guess I won't buy it then, was somewhat interested in.

Never liked Battle.Net due to it's weird 'premium' pricing and never having good sales, I never ended up buying Starcraft 2 either despite liking the demo.
Not being able to use Steam Wallet doesn't help.

Thought, it's interesting to see how third party title will do on Battle.net

Battle.Net does the same though.

Also it's not really Valve thing, publishers are free to have multiple version (though, just about nobody does :p)

I'm 100% sure original Warcrafts & Starcrafts did not require Battle.Net. SC2 did require even for demo, so technically I have an account, but haven't installed client for years.

I mean, battle.net force updates things because everything that uses it is an online game as service game...you literally couldn't play them if you didn't.

And no none of the old games used it, because the launcher didn't even exist until like, gosh, when did it? Way after wow was a thing, it was originally just the wow launcher.

roytheone

Who will be operating Destiny 2’s servers?

Bungie will maintain Destiny 2’s servers; Blizzard’s servers will be used for features related to the Blizzard platform, such as login and social functionality.

This makes me think it will use battle.net's region split friends list, which as someone that has people he plays with from different region, is a hassle. Maybe not a huge hassle, but a needless hassle nonetheless. It sucks :(

wildfire

Banned
There goes the hype.

Do you actually play PC games or you haven't played Blizzard games? Battle.net was way better at doing what Steam was attempting to do with application updates and battle.net still is slightly better today.

I have my grievances with how Blizzard has handled some of their sequels but their battle.net service has had only one notable misstep. You don't know what you're being snarky about.

Tacitus_

Bungie will maintain Destiny 2’s servers; Blizzard’s servers will be used for features related to the Blizzard platform, such as login and social functionality.

RIP login servers. Or maybe Blizz will finally move to flexible servers.

opricnik

Banned
Like everyone said i called it too.

and it will be only exclusive situation to Destiny 2 so dont expect any other games from activision like CoD.

destiny is such a social game and filled with microtransactions etc it fits so perfect.

You dont seem to be able to understand. Signing into a service like battlenet or launching an Ubisoft game on Steam requires servers to run the sign in service. Those severs cost money. My library for those games would be at the mercy of a publicly traded companies profit motives. You would say thats not something I should worry about and I would say it's already happened.

With a game like Destiny, that risk is there regardless of the service

Hairsplash

Um, perhaps battle.net will feature activision games, and blizzard app (battle.net infrastructure ) for blizzard games...

So blizzard renamed it because of destiny 2 or activisions plans... IMO

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I find the usage of "Battle.net" interesting, though. Is the service going to be un-rebranded? That would be amusing.

Mupod

Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I find the usage of "Battle.net" interesting, though. Is the service going to be un-rebranded? That would be amusing.

I mean literally everyone still calls it battle.net after the rebranding, including Blizzard apparently

Isn't it just called the Blizzard app now? I'm a Steam Controller user, so this could've been a problem, but Overwatch works well enough through BPM, so I'm assuming this'll be fine too, as long as they don't lock out mouse + gamepad. I've always wanted to try Destiny, so I'll probably give this one a shot down the road.

Par Score

Ugh.

Avoiding this anti-competitive exclusivity bullshit is exactly why I prefer PC gaming.

In fact it's even more ridiculous than console-style platform exclusives, this is like a console game being exclusively sold at Amazon or something, it's just total nonsense.

Interfectum

Ugh.

Avoiding this anti-competitive exclusivity bullshit is exactly why I prefer PC gaming.

In fact it's even more ridiculous than console-style platform exclusives, this is like a console game being exclusively sold at Amazon or something, it's just total nonsense.

Errr... no. This is Acti-Blizz using their own store like Valve does for Steam.

kuYuri

Maybe there's a distinction between the Blizzard App as a piece of software that you download and install vs Battle.net as a service? idk

Arklite

Blizzard's alright, and probably a rather easy pill to swallow given how popular Starcraft, Diablo, and Overwatch are. Many likely already have battle.net.

Top Bottom