• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

Hyun Sai

I think Mobility is strafing, the back and forth speed
Nothing to do acceleration speed/movement

Resilience at higher point is more survivability (duh!), it could mean an extra MIDA hit from death and surviving I think if you get it above 5

People are breaking it down and figuring out the true numbers

At the moment Recovery PvE And PvP is king, with Resilience second, and Mobility last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8N1rgbw0NE&t=3s

this video is great. Explains it all in detail with video evidence.

Pretty much you should try to max recovery and have a Resilience of 4 or better and the rest in Mobility. I think the max you can do is 15 points in all.

I run my warlock with 0 mobility /5 resilience /10 Recovery.

In PVP you want at least 4 Resilience. PVE you have a lot more leeway.

Thanks !

My Warlock is currently at 2 mobility / 4 resilience / 10 recovery. Should be ok for both modes ?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
wait they come with an extra stat point or they just have a different setup of stat points?

That I couldn't pinpoint to tell you, all I knew was the Prestige Loot is slightly enhanced in some way

We'll find out next week anyway

Kyne

Interesting, sounds like the desire for random rolls and more variety.

I don't care for random rolls, but if you give me a shotgun w/ the hawthorne archetype that allows you to slide farther then I would say that's worth having.

or give me a hand cannon that includes a DOT trait.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

v1perz53

But doesn't that mean that mobility and resilience got also insane difference between min and max ?

Not at all, not sure why those would be related at all. Resilience is pretty well understood because of PvP and testing bullets to kill. Basically if shots do 32% damage per hit it will take 4 shots to kill you, while if they do 26% damage per hit they still take 4 hits to kill you and you gained very little from resilience despite taking only 3/4 of the damage as before. Basic point is that because destiny damage is so chunky, resilience has break points where you can survive 1 more hit, and otherwise doesn't really do much (4 and 7 I believe are common break points, testing showed anything that would kill you at 7 also killed you at 10). It has more impact in low light content where things do less damage, and matters less in actual hard content where things will kill you in 3 hits at 4 or 10 resilience.

Mobility is even worse. It doesn't affect sprint speed, and has a TINY affect on walk speed, strafe speed and jump height. Tiny to the point of in testing 10 mobility gets you across the entire church floor ~0.5 seconds faster than 1 when walking. And because it doesn't affect sprint speed it doesn't affect the majority of movement.

Recovery on the other hand has a noticeable and impactful difference at every break point, to the tune of a single point of recovery will always be helpful and noticeable and never wasted.

The Prestige Raid sets alleviate some this burden

They come installed with a Mod of the ability the lack most in (iirc, or on the piece)

Like Warlock gets more Mobility/Resilience
Titan more Mobility/Recovery
Hunter more Resilience/Recovery

Also that's why people are chasing sets, there's a reason certain sets cater to an ability.
I think Hunter who lacks the hardest in Recovery has a recovery set on Io or Titan, not sure

Then you can add mods if you get to add more Recovery

So there's thing there to balance, but a mess to work out properly with certain things blocking you from doing so

Armor is pretty simple. All warlock armor has 1 recovery baseline, all titan armor has 1 resilience, and all hunter armor has 1 mobility. Then, each piece gets another point based on its "type" at the bottom (it will say mobile armor, or heavy armor, or survivalists armor etc). This is set by what piece of armor it is (every FWC boots for titans will be heavy). Then, there are two perks you can choose from for the last point, also set by the piece of armor (FWC titan boots are mobility vs recovery).

As such, every warlock gets 4 base recovery, hunter has 4 base mobility and titan has 4 base resilience. This also means you can never get more than 8 points in a stat that isn't your "class stat", so titans and hunters can never have 10 recovery (without mods). Unfortunately, since armor (at least all that I've tested) has fixed rolls, you can never choose how you want to look and also the stats you want fully. If you want 6+ recovery on a titan or a hunter you just need to find armor with those stats.

You can mod for more recovery, but for hunters and titans only boots can have a recovery mod for 1 more, or a total of 9 (at the cost of literally all of either mobility for a titan or resilience for a hunter). Basically, if you aren't a warlock you get penalized harshly on recovery (fair, since it is their class stat) but also have to pick very specific armor to get that high, and look ugly as sin in the process. I actually think random rolls for armor would help a LOT here, so there would actually be SOME chance you could look how you want while having the stats you want.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
been playing hunter.

who should i try next? warlock or titan?
They’ve made Warlock (particularly the void subclass) more interesting to play with healing and budding abilities — I’d say go for that. I main a Titan and while they’re fun, I don’t feel as though they’re as versatile as in D1.

was able to finish the raid last night as a friend of a friend had the chekpoint and was able to get it off him. It's ridiculous tate there's no checkpoint for GG; not all of us can have the time and or skill to finish it in one sitting.

owlbeak

They’ve made Warlock (particularly the void subclass) more interesting to play with healing and budding abilities — I’d say go for that. I main a Titan and while they’re fun, I don’t feel as though they’re as versatile as in D1.
This is true, due to the removal of Weapons/Armor of Light being moved to Warlocks. However, Titans get the most versatile, and arguably best, super in the game with the Sentinel Titan. Great for PVE and PVP (though not as good as dual pulse grenades). The change to Sentinel titan letting them go either full offense with their super or full defense with the bubble is so useful. Not to mention going full offense as captain america gives you a ranged option to the roaming super in addition to being able to use the shield to block incoming fire/other supers. It's my favorite change to any class in D2. :)

Cornbread78

Great opportunity, please read below raid vets:

So, Sat. night I'm going to get my first full raid clear. Here is my roadmap to completion in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours tops:

(not in specific order for this week)

To start:
I'll protect the
symbols
and probably die once or twice from shooting a rocket into a teammates back, but I'll keep all the ugly bastards away and get the yellow bars dead ASAP.

When we get to
dogs:
I will play follow the leader of a trained garden Sherpa carrying my orb with pride. I'll be responsible for the front right dog and we will murder all of them with 1 take in less than 15 mins with a 72 stack.

Repeat opening step

When we get to
lanterns:
I will start at top left and fire a rocket when we start to almost kill the big guy, a floater will take my place, I will run to the middle, grab the orb and take the bottom left spot. When the big guy appears again, I will fire another rocket to reduce his health and someone will come finish him off. repeat. When it's time to shoot to lantern, I will drop a heath spot in the middle and shoot use my storm callers to ruin the days of a bunch of useless adds.
repeat the above to finish this phase in about 15-20 mins..

Repeat opening step

When we get to the
Gauntlet, I will take cup top and axe top. I will help with adds to start, and rocket the yellow-bar to finish him off. Then, I will shoot mine, melee the guy, jump back on the platform, shoot axe top and repeat 3x.

Once the second phase starts, I will grab my orb and start running with everyone, but my warlock will die once the floors start dropping. Just leave me there , I have no shame and I will have faith you guys will finish the job correctly.
Less than 30 mins.

Repeat opening step, or we can go get some
chests first, then go back to Calus,
I'll just follow our chest sherpa, but be gentle with my miserable warlock jumping deaths along the pipes and sideways grates...

Calus:
Whelp, I have no experience here, but I've watched my clanmates 1 phase him a bunch of times now, just tell me what to shoot and what platform to go to and I will follow and keep on shooting. If I die, just leave me there so I can wallow in self pity until I get rezed and I resume shooting at what I need to.

I'd like to start around 10:30pm est, is there a pro team with multiple Sherpa's out there to carry me through this? 1 1/2 to 2 hours tops!

Thanks in advance to all applicants... You too can be a hero!

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Another reminder for OT3 - try going back to D1 and just spend an hour picking up your weekly Age of Triumph chests. It's shocking how much better that game feels, how much more it fulfills the power fantasy of "space magic", and just how much more fun and carefree it is. Crucible in particular is a night and day difference compared to the PvP slog in D2.

It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel for D2 at this point, because they made so many fundamental changes to the D1 experience that some areas would require a complete reboot to the foundation the game was built upon.

Unfortunately, I still like Destiny enough that I'll be there for the DLCs throughout it's lifetime, and from a business perspective that's all that matters. The one area they won't be making money on me though is Silver. I did buy Silver in D1, and I felt good about it... I absolutely will not spend a dime on Silver in D2 as long as the reprehensible shader system exists.

The feeling I'm left with, is that three years from now I hope I'm playing a D3 that rejects many of the core design principals of D2, and gets back to the roots of the franchise.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

That's too much!

If I'm on, invite, still need to Run it on Hunter, but if I run it beforehand, I'll come Sherpa ya on Warlock, DEM's heals!, Dat Arc Soul!

Just hope I don't food coma myself Saturday Evening

I just want to say I hate the token system.

It has robbed the game of some much needed life IMO. We no longer have vendors, we just have slot machines. There is no tangible reward tied to them instead you have to depend on RNG. It makes the UI when visiting vendors look like placeholder, first iteration nonsense. Just a blank screen with a bar that isn't even satisfying to watch fill up, hell you can barely see it with most of them. Gone are the days of saying, "I wouldn't mind this piece of gear Zavala has available right now" and going out and earning the marks to get it. Instead it's just a random dice roll that feels like a cheap gimmick. You know the one vendor in the game that actually has a fully functioning storefront so to speak? You guessed it, the one tied to real money purchases, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Instead of just ranting, I'll offer a solution. Treat them like marks from D1 and tokens from D2. You still want to give people the choice to roll a random engram at 20 tokens? Cool. But offer people who would rather grind out some tokens the ability to purchase what they want from the various vendors.

Legs, Arms, Class Items = 50 tokens each
Helmet and Chest = 75 tokens each
Weapons = 75 tokens each
Shaders still randomly drop upon purchase just like an engram roll

If you have an event like the faction rally, where each faction had about 4 weapons on offer. All of that equates to 600 tokens or the maximum amount Bungie allowed us to earn on a given character.

I don't know the reason why vendors don't have gear for purchase, I don't know if it was an attempt to hide the static perks on weapons and armor, but it completely sucks IMO. I used the Titan farming method for faction tokens, turned in 600 for the maximum of 30 engrams and walked away needing 1-2 pieces on two of my characters, and I only got everything with FWC due to the bug of dropping awards past the 30 engram cap. If I hadn't used the farming method and grinded those tokens the hard way, I would have dropped the game at that very instant.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're not available tonight, eh Cornbread? :p
Excellent read, Hawkian!

I happen to agree with a lot that you said here, but I think the most important thing about this post is that you described your argument and your points without being rude or demeaning of anyone. I hope that even people that don't agree with you can read that post and learn from perspective of players like us and many others.
It means a lot to hear that, thank you.
Why is everything basically token based?
From a design perspective a token system makes getting "a reward" deterministic even if "which reward" is still random, and different token types correspond to different loot pools. So the player knows exactly how much of an activity is needed before a guaranteed legendary engram reward, and which activities to do to chase a specific item. It doesn't eliminate RNG obviously but it removes one layer of it.

Gets a lot of crap, but I think it's a superior system to the triple cocktail RNG that was any legendary engram in D1. I just wish there was still some loot available to purchase outright from vendors for shards.

Kyrios

Supposedly my clanmates want to retry the raid but I doubt most even read up on what to do (again) so this should be interesting...

Cornbread I'd totally join ya Saturday but I'm not sure I'll have enough time to do the entire run.

Simbo

Neo Member
Bring back re-rolling but make it super cheap. Would love to try some of these weapons with a combination of different perks.

Navy Bean

It has robbed the game of some much needed life IMO. We no longer have vendors, we just have slot machines. There is no tangible reward tied to them instead you have to depend on RNG. It makes the UI when visiting vendors look like placeholder, first iteration nonsense. Just a blank screen with a bar that isn't even satisfying to watch fill up, hell you can barely see it with most of them. Gone are the days of saying, "I wouldn't mind this piece of gear Zavala has available right now" and going out and earning the marks to get it. Instead it's just a random dice roll that feels like a cheap gimmick. You know the one vendor in the game that actually has a fully functioning storefront so to speak? You guessed it, the one tied to real money purchases, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Instead of just ranting, I'll offer a solution. Treat them like marks from D1 and tokens from D2. You still want to give people the choice to roll a random engram at 20 tokens? Cool. But offer people who would rather grind out some tokens the ability to purchase what they want from the various vendors.

Weapons = 75 tokens each

If you have an event like the faction rally, where each faction had about 4 weapons on offer. All of that equates to 600 tokens or the maximum amount Bungie allowed us to earn on a given character.

I don't know the reason why vendors don't have gear for purchase, I don't know if it was an attempt to hide the static perks on weapons and armor, but it completely sucks IMO. I used the Titan farming method for faction tokens, turned in 600 for the maximum of 30 engrams and walked away needing 1-2 pieces on two of my characters, and I only got everything with FWC due to the bug of dropping awards past the 30 engram cap. If I hadn't used the farming method and grinded those tokens the hard way, I would have dropped the game at that very instant.

Vendors don't have gear for sale because as it is there isn't much "gear" in the game and the RNG artificially prolongs the experience for awhile. Also makes leveling RNG based to an extent for the same reason.

zewone

That I couldn't pinpoint to tell you, all I knew was the Prestige Loot is slightly enhanced in some way

We'll find out next week anyway

It's more likely to be the same armor with chroma effects, like the flawless Trials gear is different from the regular Trials gear.

Why is everything basically token based?

Destiny had always essentially been an elaborate slot machine. Its built around various version of rng.

- the standard random drop
- the delayed drop of Engrams
- reputation grinding (and the associated tokens)

It's actually kinda brilliant, if manipulative.
I'd agree they've gone too far with tokens though. It's too omnipresent.

At this point, why not change it up? Have one vendor literally be a wheel of fortune that spins to give you a drop. Or switch it up so not everything uses tokens and uses a different kind of rep tracking.

It's all just repackaging of RNG of course, but the trick is dressing it up and making it fun each time. I'm not sure tokens achieve that.

Weapons = 75 tokens each

Needing 20 Tokens (and /or some combination of Destination mats) just to have a chance at a piece of gear/weapon from a Destination set is the worst kind of RNG the game has seen, well, sans for the awful Gunsmith setup.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with 3,000 Legendary Shards and nothing to use them on when I should be able to say " Hey Mr. Asher Mir, I'd like to buy those Gauntlets with these LS so I can improve my Hunter's recovery stat. Thank you for your business, have a good day."

I mean the more you think about it the more it becomes clear how truly fucked the Economy/Currency system is in Destiny 2. How can you justify getting the same amount of Tokens for say doing a Heroic PE or just randomly coming across a chest. I mean if I want Tokens/Resources for Io I have to be bored to death by roaming around looking for chest/Destination mats and playing PE. I'd rather play the Pyramidian Strike over and over again for say 10 Tokens each time as that way I'm at least experiencing some fun gameplay.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Weapons = 75 tokens each

I'm totally with you simply just because I've spent what feels like days on Io grinding out tokens to try and get the Io Warlock set. After 200 tokens I've only unlocked the arms so far, and I don't even need them as I've got a Legendary on at the mo. So frustrating, so much time for so little.

Kaiken

Banned
Is there a way to track the Raid progress on our toons? I'm pretty sure I took Calus out on both characters and made a full clear on one but not sure.

ch4fx_

Is there a way to track the Raid progress on our toons? I'm pretty sure I took Calus out on both characters and made a full clear on one but not sure.

This may not be as detailed as you were looking for, but
there's a vendor in the tower you unlock after you complete the raid

With that, you can at least tell which characters you've cleared with at least once. Past that, I got nothing.

EDIT - rereading your message, I don't think this is what you were looking for. Sorry!

Generally, I prefer the token system over the reputation system that was in the first game. There are some downsides in that I have to rely on a lucky drop when I'm after a certain piece of vendor gear or weapon, rather than using my legendary shards to buy them up. I understand the change, though. Less variety in weapon and armor rolls means you have to make them harder to get.

Destiny 1 wasn't all unicorns and rainbows, either. Some of the vendors were easier to rank up than other because they accepted planetary mats, motes and ammo synth, but there were a few that were a chore. I'm looking at you, Variks. I'd have loved a token system when I was grinding PoE and CoE.

J_Viper

Are Strikes not worth doing in this one?

I watched my bro play three in a row and he hasn't gotten any useful drops at all. Which is strange, considering how the other components of the game give out gear like it's candy

there's no reason to hold duplicate exotics right?

No reason to dismantle them either, unfortunately. Infusion fodder or nothing.

I watched my bro play three in a row and he hasn't gotten any useful drops at all. Which is strange, considering how the other components of the game give out gear like it's candy

You can get Exotics or Legendaries from the chest at the end but there are no Strike specific rewards or anything. Playing them for fun is still an option and what I consider the purest form of traditional Destiny gameplay you'll find.

Vendors don't have gear for sale because as it is there isn't much "gear" in the game and the RNG artificially prolongs the experience for awhile. Also makes leveling RNG based to an extent for the same reason.

This was another thought that crossed my mind.

I'm totally with you simply just because I've spent what feels like days on Io grinding out tokens to try and get the Io Warlock set. After 200 tokens I've only unlocked the arms so far, and I don't even need them as I've got a Legendary on at the mo. So frustrating, so much time for so little.

I want the Titan armor set on Titan. So far the only piece I've got was the chest piece from an engram decrypted at the Cryptarch. I'm not bleeding for RNG drops. As you said, so much time for so little. I was actually going to point this out in my post. I'd like the ability to say 'I want the Io set for my Warlock, I'm going to go get it." I don't even have interest in trying to complete armor sets anymore cause there is almost no tangible reward for the amount of time it takes to gather tokens.

Needing 20 Tokens (and /or some combination of Destination mats) just to have a chance at a piece of gear/weapon from a Destination set is the worst kind of RNG the game has seen, well, sans for the awful Gunsmith setup.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with 3,000 Legendary Shards and nothing to use them on when I should be able to say " Hey Mr. Asher Mir, I'd like to buy those Gauntlets with these LS so I can improve my Hunter's recovery stat. Thank you for your business, have a good day."

I mean the more you think about it the more it becomes clear how truly fucked the Economy/Currency system is in Destiny 2. How can you justify getting the same amount of Tokens for say doing a Heroic PE or just randomly coming across a chest. I mean if I want Tokens/Resources for Io I have to be bored to death by roaming around looking for chest/Destination mats and playing PE. I'd rather play the Pyramidian Strike over and over again for say 10 Tokens each time as that way I'm at least experiencing some fun gameplay.

D2 economy is fucked. It almost needs a reset IMO and that's not going to happen until next September at the earliest. I just see them trying to slap a band aid on the problem until then, if at all. You suggestion leads to the next problem, you can't just go select a strike to grind even if that were the case. Again, a regression IMO. No selectable campaign missions, strikes, etc. I would actually put up with the nonsense if I could determine my outcome. However, I'm not wasting time to stick another quarter in the slot machine hoping to get lucky.

Alucrid

Banned
No reason to dismantle them either, unfortunately. Infusion fodder or nothing.

You can get Exotics or Legendaries from the chest at the end but there are no Strike specific rewards or anything. Playing them for fun is still an option and what I consider the purest form of traditional Destiny gameplay you'll find.

running out of space and a cleaner vault

I enjoy doing the strikes. They do drop legendary and exotics but not at the rate that you gain from token turn ins and the Gunsmith.

GazzaGSi

I just want to say that I love this game & it's community. As long as there are people to play with & people to help, I'll be here supporting whatever
"terrible"
decisions Bungie will make.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

From Destiny to The Division to Destiny 2, yourself, Ruthless, Bear and Tosh have been full of knowledge and help for me that I'm grateful for and it's been a blast! Time zones are abit messed up with me being the other side of the world but I always look forward to hooking up. I was LTTP to the original Destiny but will never forget the help and guidance you guys gave me. I haven't experienced any other gaming community like it so will always appreciate these games for the people met along the way.

Great opportunity, please read below raid vets:
So, Sat. night I'm going to get my first full raid clear. Here is my roadmap to completion in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours tops:

(not in specific order for this week)
To start:
I'll protect the
symbols
and probably die once or twice from shooting a rocket into a teammates back, but I'll keep all the ugly bastards away and get the yellow bars dead ASAP.

When we get to
dogs:
I will play follow the leader of a trained garden Sherpa carrying my orb with pride. I'll be responsible for the front right dog and we will murder all of them with 1 take in less than 15 mins with a 72 stack.

Repeat opening step

When we get to
lanterns:
I will start at top left and fire a rocket when we start to almost kill the big guy, a floater will take my place, I will run to the middle, grab the orb and take the bottom left spot. When the big guy appears again, I will fire another rocket to reduce his health and someone will come finish him off. repeat. When it's time to shoot to lantern, I will drop a heath spot in the middle and shoot use my storm callers to ruin the days of a bunch of useless adds.
repeat the above to finish this phase in about 15-20 mins..

Repeat opening step

When we get to the
Gauntlet, I will take cup top and axe top. I will help with adds to start, and rocket the yellow-bar to finish him off. Then, I will shoot mine, melee the guy, jump back on the platform, shoot axe top and repeat 3x.
Once the second phase starts, I will grab my orb and start running with everyone, but my warlock will die once the floors start dropping. Just leave me there , I have no shame and I will have faith you guys will finish the job correctly.
Less than 30 mins.

Repeat opening step, or we can go get some
chests first, then go back to Calus,
I'll just follow our chest sherpa, but be gentle with my miserable warlock jumping deaths along the pipes and sideways grates...

Calus:
Whelp, I have no experience here, but I've watched my clanmates 1 phase him a bunch of times now, just tell me what to shoot and what platform to go to and I will follow and keep on shooting. If I die, just leave me there so I can wallow in self pity until I get rezed and I resume shooting at what I need to.

I'd like to start around 10:30pm est, is there a pro team with multiple Sherpa's out there to carry me through this? 1 1/2 to 2 hours tops!

Hmmmmm....lol

I believe in you!

Top Bottom