• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

Van Bur3n

Destiny has always struck me as an 8/10 game. Well, ever since Taken King (before then, it was dog shit). But it doesn't surprise me Destiny 2 is received no differently. It is mostly more of the same.

Servbot24

Banned
All these reviewers got a free Destiny Collectors Bribery edition right ?

Anything for Activision to score some extra free points in score and text review
I was going to give it an 8 but then I decided to sacrifice my career and give it a 10 in order to get an extra trading card and figurine. I'm sure my wife and kids will figure something out while I play with my figurine by risking my salary and way of life. :)

Gamers are so paranoid. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like the Eurogamer first impressions piece, but a lot of the improved stuff, or the stuff that's carried over from the expansions are like the most commonly cited reasons why people didn't like Destiny and why even I got bored of it after a while, so I don't necessarily agree that if you didn't like the first the second doesn't do much to change your mind. Even their video impressions kind of contradict that.

- Fully fledged story
- Reduced repetitiveness and increased variability in PvE content
- Denser, better PvE spaces

Those are the majority of the initial Destiny shitstorm, and what pulled me away before the expansions came out.

Sometimes I also feel like the expectations for PvE content are a bit out of whack, like there must be this infinite stream of novel PvE content which is pretty unprecedented for a non-sub MMO. But then even if you have as many different and fun activities as Destiny 2 does, it's still not enough or is repetitive. There's a ton of different shit to do.

Destiny has always struck me as an 8/10 game. Well, ever since Taken King (before then, it was dog shit). But it doesn't surprise me Destiny 2 is received no differently. It is mostly more of the same.
Its fantastic and certainly not just more of the same IMO.
Its a masterpiece IMO. There are only 5 scores and 2 are above 90 none below 80...

Strakt

This whole review in progress concept is just bizarre. Yesterday, it was 8.7, today an 8.2, what will it be next week?

I'm not criticizing the actual score itself, just the method of assigning scores while still in the progress of playing.

Its mostly cause of the shaders, itll prob go back up again once the raid is out

void666

Banned
I'd give it an 8.5. It's pretty good. If bungie had delivered a game of the same quality 3 years ago it'd have blown our minds.
Destiny 2 is great but it doesn't feel fresh.

I'd give it an 8.5. It's pretty good. If bungie had delivered a game of the same quality 3 years ago it'd have blown our minds.
Only a handful of games a gen feel fresh...thats an odd standard. There is nothing else like destiny on the market.

void666

Banned
Only a handful of games a gen feel fresh...thats an odd standard. There is nothing else like destiny on the market.

Doesn't feel fresh for people like me who spent 1800 hours in D1. Some enemies have been revamped. But some are essentially the same.

It's more of the same with added polish and a bigger scale. That's not bad. I love destiny. I don't want "not destiny" like many haters do. But at times i have this strong feeling of deja vu.

Doesn't feel fresh for people like me who spent 1800 hours in D1. Some enemies have been revamped. But some are essentially the same.

It's more of the same with added polish and a bigger scale. That's not bad. I love destiny. I don't want "not destiny" like many haters do. But at times i have this strong feeling of deja vu.
OK..has nothing to do with what I said. Barely anything is fresh. GTA 5 has a 97 metacritic. Its basicalky the sane game as GTA 4 and 3, with added polish and content like every sequel ever. I put 1000 hourd in d1. D2 is a bug step up in every area, feels different enough IMO, as far as sequels go.

sn00zer

If that helps I hated the new weapon loadout in the Beta but it makes sense and works pretty well in the final game for PVP... you shot normal enemies with non-elemental gun and fast switch to elemental gun to break shielded enemies.

That is a good change for PVE... in D1 you had to go in menu to change your weapon and now you can switch on the fly to kill enemies in Nightfall for example.

Works pretty well.
I too did not like the weapon hanges in the beta in regards to PVE. But now playing the full version it feels like i have two primaries and a secondary power rarher than one primary one secondary and a power like D1

sn00zer

In regards to review Destiny 2 is a very different experience playing single and multi. Its one thing to go through the game by yourself, its another to go with a group with everyone going 'oh hey check this out', 'whats that over there'. The group discovery aspect honestly has made Destiny 2 one of my favoeite games i think ive played. Group exploration games seems like a rare thing that has only recently blossomed outside of traditional MMOs. Portal 2 is the only game that comes to mind.

This whole review in progress concept is just bizarre. Yesterday, it was 8.7, today an 8.2, what will it be next week?

I'm not criticizing the actual score itself, just the method of assigning scores while still in the progress of playing.
Those scores are arbitrary anyway, no need to think twice about them. A 5% deduction can stand for anything. Feeling not great today? Encountered a glitch? Didn’t like today’s loot?

Those scores are arbitrary anyway, no need to think twice about them. A 5% deduction can stand for anything. Feeling not great today? Encountered a glitch? Didn’t like today’s loot?

They would not reduce the score for any of those insignificant reasons you mentioned. Check out the review to see the actual reasons.

OK..has nothing to do with what I said. Barely anything is fresh. GTA 5 has a 97 metacritic. Its basicalky the sane game as GTA 4 and 3, with added polish and content like every sequel ever. I put 1000 hourd in d1. D2 is a bug step up in every area, feels different enough IMO, as far as sequels go.

One, let the guy have his opinion. Is 1800 hours invested not good enough just because he's not championing the game as you are?

Secondly, you're statement about GTA5 being basically the same as 4 and 3 is blatantly false. There is a reason it achieved 97 metacritic, something D2 most likely won't even end 10 points within range once all the reviews are out.

GTA online is completely new, and so insanely successful that the all of their future games will revolve around an online concept. It is the sole reason the game is much more successful then it's predecessors. Having three protaganists instead of the staple one is actually video game defining, let alone GTA defining (and they are all doing their own activities in the world in real time as you're a different character).

The AI is VASTLY improved. Before they used to mindlessly wander around the city, now they have lives, schedules they follow, etc. They'll sit and wait for the bus, go to a destination, and eventually go back to the same area, while others would be gardening and get hostile if you mess up their garden. These are a few examples but the difference between GTA 4 is insane, let alone GTA3 (you must be trolling with that). R* also said there are 5x as much NPCs in the world.

There actually is an economy unlike the previous games. The customization options for everything is light years ahead of GTA4. New features such as underwater exploration, dynamic missions, skydiving, bounties, heists, challenges, vastly improved cover mechanics, and more. One of the bigger things Destiny is being praised for is a bigger world then the first game (like thatvwas hard to top) and GTA5 does the same thing, as well.

Hell, Michael's flip flops individually moving the way they do generated crazy amounts of praise, even in reviews. The engine R* used was mind blowing at the time and to think it even ran the way it did on older consoles is crazy.

I can keep on but my point is:

Barely anything is fresh. GTA 5 has a 97 metacritic. Its basicalky the sane game as GTA 4 and 3, with added polish and content like every sequel ever.

is a statement that's not doing you any favors here. It's vastly, vastly more than just "added polish and content like every sequel ever."

The two biggest things Destiny 2 has going for it are actually having a story, unlike the first game, and much needed QoL improvements. As a level 20 plvl 240, please attempt to tell me that there are bigger things the game has going for it besides those.

Reviews are subjective, but I'm not sure "arbitrary" is the appropriate term. Presumably the scores reflect how the individual reviewer feels about a particular game and isn't completely arbitrary. The problem here is that in the rush to be first, or at least one of the first, they provide a review that is dynamic based not on contemplation over the entire experience from the game, but rather the most recent snapshot of a reviewer's impression.

To some extent, the issue is just trying to review a game as sprawling as Destiny. Nor does it help that Bungie has been walling off its best content behind the Raids. I think it raises questions as to whether any kind of numerical score should be given for a game like this before the game has been played for weeks or even a month. Written impressions discussing the ebbs and flows until that point is probably a better way to go.

Yeah I have no idea what IGN are trying to achieve with the review in progress score. I find myself disagreeing with the concept of scores entirely more and more but I don't see what it gains other than 2 scores for 2 clicks and 2 times for people to comment and agree/ angrily disagree. Might be being cynical there but that's what it seems to me, for these online games just give it a good testing at launch and like a thumbs up or down or something if there are online problems then you've done your job so a Battlefield 4 of MCC situation can be avoided. Give your one score only after you're satisfied.

joecanada

Basically what I expected and good enough to wait for a sale

benzopil

Yeaaa it's really unfortunate that I spent SO MUCH time in D1. If I didn't, D2 would be the best game ever for me. But i'm too tired of Fallen and Vex.

border

GTA online is completely new, and so insanely successful that the all of their future games will revolve around an online concept. It is the sole reason the game is much more successful then it's predecessors.

GTA Online did not even launch until a month after GTA5, which had received superlative reviews with the online mode sight-unseen. It was also pretty demonstrably broken at launch.

More clicks each time they change the score

Ushay

The game will easily be the biggest timesink for most people, how does it land a solid 8/10 in that case? Doesn't this mean it should be a solid 9. Just wondering of course, not disputing any of these reviews, it looks like a very solid game regardless.

One, let the guy have his opinion. Is 1800 hours invested not good enough just because he's not championing the game as you are?

Secondly, you're statement about GTA5 being basically the same as 4 and 3 is blatantly false. There is a reason it achieved 97 metacritic, something D2 most likely won't even end 10 points within range once all the reviews are out.

GTA online is completely new, and so insanely successful that the all of their future games will revolve around an online concept. It is the sole reason the game is much more successful then it's predecessors. Having three protaganists instead of the staple one is actually video game defining, let alone GTA defining (and they are all doing their own activities in the world in real time as you're a different character).

The AI is VASTLY improved. Before they used to mindlessly wander around the city, now they have lives, schedules they follow, etc. They'll sit and wait for the bus, go to a destination, and eventually go back to the same area, while others would be gardening and get hostile if you mess up their garden. These are a few examples but the difference between GTA 4 is insane, let alone GTA3 (you must be trolling with that). R* also said there are 5x as much NPCs in the world.

There actually is an economy unlike the previous games. The customization options for everything is light years ahead of GTA4. New features such as underwater exploration, dynamic missions, skydiving, bounties, heists, challenges, vastly improved cover mechanics, and more. One of the bigger things Destiny is being praised for is a bigger world then the first game (like thatvwas hard to top) and GTA5 does the same thing, as well.

Hell, Michael's flip flops individually moving the way they do generated crazy amounts of praise, even in reviews. The engine R* used was mind blowing at the time and to think it even ran the way it did on older consoles is crazy.

I can keep on but my point is:

is a statement that's not doing you any favors here. It's vastly, vastly more than just "added polish and content like every sequel ever."

The two biggest things Destiny 2 has going for it are actually having a story, unlike the first game, and much needed QoL improvements. As a level 20 plvl 240, please attempt to tell me that there are bigger things the game has going for it besides those.

UM. GTA got its reviews before online even launched, destroys your argument. Its the same GTA, more of the same...

I never said he cannot have an opinion, am I not allowed yp comment about his opinion on a forum or something? Chill man, relax tiger.

I just used GTA as an example...what about gears, uncharted, or any other highly rated sequel? GTA 4 even.

Reviews are subjective, but I'm not sure "arbitrary" is the appropriate term. Presumably the scores reflect how the individual reviewer feels about a particular game and isn't completely arbitrary. The problem here is that in the rush to be first, or at least one of the first, they provide a review that is dynamic based not on contemplation over the entire experience from the game, but rather the most recent snapshot of a reviewer's impression.

To some extent, the issue is just trying to review a game as sprawling as Destiny. Nor does it help that Bungie has been walling off its best content behind the Raids. I think it raises questions as to whether any kind of numerical score should be given for a game like this before the game has been played for weeks or even a month. Written impressions discussing the ebbs and flows until that point is probably a better way to go.
Not all review scores are equally arbitrary, in my opinion. But a scale of 100 increments seems to imply some sort of objectivity or science which is obviously not there. On a 5 star system, each step represents a significant difference that is easy to grasp. The difference between 82 or 84 or 87? Totally arbitrary. The review in progress concept amplifies this issue, I think. On top of that you add a weird feedback loop into the mix, where the reviewer can constantly see how his audience reacts to every single point change immediately, which inadvertently will influence the score he gives next time.
The cynic in me would start with a totally unreasonable score to stir up a shitstorm, leading to a ton of clicks and being the center of attention. Later on he would end up with the score his audience would agree upon. Best of both worlds.

GTA Online did not even launch until a month after GTA5, which had received superlative reviews with the online mode sight-unseen. It was also pretty demonstrably broken at launch.
Yep. Exactly. Revisionist history at its finest.there is nothing that allows this type of gameplay, with groups anywere else.destiny is pretty unique as it is.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe Games Master are still going.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sometimes I also feel like the expectations for PvE content are a bit out of whack, like there must be this infinite stream of novel PvE content which is pretty unprecedented for a non-sub MMO. But then even if you have as many different and fun activities as Destiny 2 does, it's still not enough or is repetitive. There's a ton of different shit to do.

Definitely, but part of the blame is ascribed to Destiny 1's marketing. "Endless storytelling! You never know what will happen! This is your own Destiny!" Its irrational to ever buy into marketing and believe that stuff, but Bungie/Activation really pushed that copy hard which understandably conflated expectations. (Though endless micro-goals, grinding, and cosmetic achievements through repetition wouldn't really grab attention)

Hoo-doo

Banned
UM. GTA got its reviews before online even launched, destroys your argument. Its the same GTA, more of the same...

I never said he cannot have an opinion, am I not allowed yp comment about his opinion on a forum or something? Chill man, relax tiger.

Sorry dude, but calling GTAV 'more of the same' in trying to defend Destiny 2, you're missing the mark in every way. It's a hilariously bad example to pick.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The "review in progress" thing is bizarre and final scores now is bad journalism. Just play the game for two weeks then put out a review after the Raid and Trials are out. Those are incredibly important aspects of the game.

Anyone who scores this before Trials AND the raid doesn't have my respect and isn't doing their job. It's that simple. It's not even about a good score or not it's about doing your due diligence. it's not 2007 it's 2017 don't review games like we're still using Zunes...

Skeletron

I would give it a 9.5 so far even without the raid. The campaign is a true return to Bungie form. The gameplay is incredibly fun and every inch of the game world is packed to the brim with detail and color that it's still blowing my mind. Such an incredible scifi universe.

All I can think about at work is getting back into it.

benzopil

The "review in progress" thing is bizarre and final scores now is bad journalism. Just play the game for two weeks then put out a review after the Raid and Trials are out. Those are incredibly important aspects of the game.

Solo players don't care for them, so these reviews in progress are useful for them

JayBabay

Anyone who scores this before Trials AND the raid doesn't have my respect and isn't doing their job. It's that simple. It's not even about a good score or not it's about doing your due diligence. it's not 2007 it's 2017 don't review games like we're still using Zunes...

I agree that they shouldn't assign a final score before playing the raid because it could turn out better or worst than they anticipate and a final score should reflect that.

As far as tentative reviews go, I can see where any frustrations during the process of preparing a character for a raid would arise. This is where the bulk of peoples game play actually falls, not in the best content of the game, but in the most mundane. It really will make the raid feel like something incredibly special after you have been repeating the same events tirelessly in order to even be able to play the raid at a competitive level. But they shouldn't forget all those hours spent before that, so I enjoy the authentic reflection of what it feels like right now in this moment.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Not everyone cares for the raids. I wonder about the percentages of D1 players that have even finished all the raids.

border

Going from just one playable characters to three and how they're integrated into the some of the mission structure is a big enough to change to differentiate the two entries.

Most of the missions in GTA5 only have you with one player-character, and the ones that use multiple characters are scripted to the point of the game literally telling you "Switch to Trevor NOW!" If there was really an interesting way to use the system I think it'd get more credit.

Going from just one playable characters to three and how they're integrated into the some of the mission structure is a big enough to change to differentiate the two entries.

Also, water is a fully featured space now, where in every game before, you'd either die when entering the water, or could only swim on a 2D plane.

Animal AI

Character Special Ablilities

Customisable Weapons and cars

That's about what I can think of off the top of my head.

The game will easily be the biggest timesink for most people, how does it land a solid 8/10 in that case? Doesn't this mean it should be a solid 9. Just wondering of course, not disputing any of these reviews, it looks like a very solid game regardless.

lol what?

Timesink does not (necessarily) equal quality.

The game plays identical to 4 . its more of the same, and again. GTA is just one example. You can do this for nearly every sequel.

hydruxo

It takes the formula and refines it in nearly every facet and adds more activities. If Destiny is an 8/10 to you, then Destiny 2 should be a 9. It's a far more streamlined experience than the first game.

Not everyone cares for the raids. I wonder about the percentages of D1 players that have even finished all the raids.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be factored into the reviews. It's a part of the game even if it isn't there day one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Saying GTA4 and 5 are "completely" different isn't true. But there are very clear and large differences.

It should also be pointed that GTA4 was already critically acclaimed. Destiny 1 never was. So more of the same for GTA (but with huge additions) is going to be better than it is for Destiny in the eyes of a reviewer.

nOoblet16

It died because of competitive multiplayer only (at launch) and the lack of content. In terms of gameplay depth it absolutely towers over any mainstream FPS this gen.

Not when Rainbow Six Siege exists.
A game where every encounter is truly unique due to how you can use the map. There's also Overwatch.

But "gameplay depth" is a very vague term and if you are refering to how much variety and learning curve it offers then both those games offer a lot more depth than Titanfall.

Now Overwatch is easy to pick up but it's hard to master..same as Titanfall. Siege though is hard to pick up and even harder to master because of how totally unique it is in every single way.

Top Bottom