• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
but that didn't take away the playerbase, those who played it's End-game content know what Destiny really is, i think those who thought it was a disappointed are the ones who only played the story missions and expected something like Halo

This isn't even a little bit accurate. Do you honestly not remember people hitting max level in vanilla and being disappointed by the grind and lack of content at end game?

I understand you love the game, but your confirmation bias is getting absurd.

Zen Aku

the reviews pointed out that it was a disappointment, especially the Youtube reviews from famous reviewers such as Angryjoe

even after it was released you always see a lot of people saying that Destiny was one of the most disappointing games they played

but that didn't take away the playerbase, those who played it's End-game content know what Destiny really is, i think those who thought it was a disappointed are the ones who only played the story missions and expected something like Halo

like you said, Destiny 1 survived the criticism, and it improved a lot from release, but most games that get criticized at release, die very quickly no matter how good they are, Titanfall 1 is a good example of an amazing game that got criticize and died because of it, but Destiny 1 survived and that is very rare to happen in this generation

and pretty sure if the same criticism happened again to Destiny 2, it won't affect it's playerbase, especially to those who played Destiny 1 End-game content
Titanfall didn't get slammed by critics. I'm not even sure you remember how Titanfall was reviewed. People loved it, it won like 28 awards before it was even released. Titanfall died because it was released the same year as CoD Advanced Warfare where both games share the same futuristic gameplay style and naturally CoD was going to win due to it sheer popularity.

Destiny didn't have that kind of competition because in of itself was unique, an MMO-lite game with Borderlands loot style combined with Halo.

not really, but i do admit that it's tough to make me like a game unless it's so good like Witcher 3, BOTW and Destiny
1 of these games doesn't belong.

xviper

It sounds like you are looking at this from a fairly binary lens. Destiny got criticism, Destiny survived criticism.

Well, sure. But the critics weren't wrong. Most reviews said the game was fun, and with great gameplay, and then pointed out the various flaws. For some they mattered a lot, for some the gameplay was strong enough and they were more positive.

Fans had the same spectrum of reaction. (As did I.) Ultimately the gameplay proved good enough to keep players around while the surrounding game got better. I don't think we really disagree, but I also don't think it's as simple as "Destiny survived the criticism", unless the only element of the criticsm you consider are review scores. There Destiny did do much better than they would imply. But the actual criticisms were, by and large, on the mark. My point was the game did well because Bungie agreed, recognized it, and course-corrected. (No one at Bungie was satisfied with what they shipped.)

i understand what you are saying, but Destiny didn't just survive because of Bungie's support, it took them a while to release expansion that could fix the problems that critics talked about, in that time most games would die, Destiny didn't, so it survived with it's release content and satisfied a lot of people which got them to stuck with it for years

i don't even know why are we arguing, lol, we both seem to agree about the success of Destiny

Raven117

BotW, yeah, totally agree.
joking
They are all good for very different reasons...and the last few years have been great to be picking up a controller.

So far, Destiny 2 is awesome, but I'm biased. The gameplay is once again like butter. It just feels awesome to play...shoot aliens, watch numbers go up.

xviper

Titanfall didn't get slammed by critics. I'm not even sure you remember how Titanfall was reviewed. People loved it, it won like 28 awards before it was even released. Titanfall died because it was released the same year as CoD Advanced Warfare where both games share the same futuristic gameplay style and naturally CoD was going to win due to it sheer popularity.

Destiny didn't have that kind of competition because in of itself was unique, an MMO-lite game with Borderlands loot style combined with Halo.

Titanfall 1 reviewed well, but the reviews did mention the lack of content and did mention that it's boring and repetitive because there was not much to do, which affected the player base, Destiny 1 didn't review as well as TF1, but it got a similar criticism yet it survived

if you don't mind me correcting you, Titanfall 1 released and died before Advanced warfare was even a thing, so COD has nothing to do with it

i'm curious, which of the 3 you don't think is soo good ?

Papacheeks

Banned

As someone who put 700 hours into TF1 for LTS, I can assure you that the reason it died was not actually bad reviews it was like Xviper said content.

GhaleonEB

i understand what you are saying, but Destiny didn't just survive because of Bungie's support, it took them a while to release expansion that could fix the problems that critics talked about, in that time most games would die, Destiny didn't, so it survived with it's release content and satisfied a lot of people which got them to stuck with it for years

i don't even know why are we arguing, lol, we both seem to agree about the success of Destiny

I'll try one last time before I give up, because I didn't say that in either of my posts. :lol

Again, that's too much of a reduction of what I was saying.

• Destiny had solid, fun gameplay and people stayed because the game was fun to play, despite many flaws.
  • Critics correctly pointed out these flaws, while also noting the solid foundation.
  • Bungie addressed flaws large and small through updates and expansions.
We can haggle about how much of the longevity was due to updates/expansions vs. that core gameplay, but that's not my point. The point is the critics by and large got Destiny right - the game didn't "slapped the shit out of the media and criticism". The critics were not wrong, and Bungie was smart and humble enough to know it. So they responded to it by making the game better. That's all.

As someone who put 700 hours into TF1 for LTS, I can assure you that the reason it died was not actually bad reviews it was like Xviper said content.

By this logic destiny should have died because of its lack of content. Maybe TF is just a fun, not so deep game?

xviper

I'll try one last time before I give up, because I didn't say that in either of my posts. :lol

Again, that's too much of a reduction of what I was saying.

• Destiny had solid, fun gameplay and people stayed because the game was fun to play, despite many flaws.
  • Critics correctly pointed out these flaws, while also noting the solid foundation.
  • Bungie addressed flaws large and small through updates and expansions.
We can haggle about how much of the longevity was due to updates/expansions vs. that core gameplay, but that's not my point. The point is the critics by and large got Destiny right - the game didn't "slapped the shit out of the media and criticism". The critics were not wrong, and Bungie was smart and humble enough to know it. So they responded to it by making the game better. That's all.

i agree with most of what you said

but i don't agree that Destiny didn't slap the criticism, because it did

look at The Division, it had some good foundation, it got criticism, Ubisoft tried to fix the problems noted by critics by releasing updates and expansion, but the game died because it was not that good like Destiny

this is what i meant when i said that Destiny slapped the criticism, even though it had lots of problems at release, and yet a lot of people loved it despite the hate it got because the game was so good and most people stuck with it since the beginning and even before Bungie fixed the game's problem

you are right that Bungie noted the criticism and fixed the game which helped people play it longer, but that alone is not enough if the game was mediocre like a lot of the people who were disappointed in it said

lets just end this argument and agree to disagree

Zen Aku

Titanfall 1 reviewed well, but the reviews did mention the lack of content and did mention that it's boring and repetitive because there was not much to do, which affected the player base, Destiny 1 didn't review as well as TF1, but it got a similar criticism yet it survived

if you don't mind me correcting you, Titanfall 1 released and died before Advanced warfare was even a thing, so COD has nothing to do with it

i'm curious, which of the 3 you don't think is soo good ?
Titanfall is anything but boring. I can agree with lack of content. But Titanfall was unlike anything else on the market at that time and the gameplay was incredibly solid.

I think we both know which one I think doesn't belong.

In his original post he made it sound like Titanfall died because of the bad reviews. Which it didn't. The lack of content did post launch did it, not the reviews which ranged from good to great.

jviggy43

The only piece of content that reviewed over an 80 on Metacritic was TTK. For a major AAA game thats hardly slapping the criticism imo (user reviews weren't great either but thats a cesspool generally speaking).

Really curious to see how D2 does. I'm guessing 80-85 which would put it more in line with TTK.

xviper

Titanfall is anything but boring. I can agree with lack of content. But Titanfall was unlike anything else on the market at that time and the gameplay was incredibly solid.

I think we both know which one I think doesn't belong.

In his original post he made it sound like Titanfall died because of the bad reviews. Which it didn't. The lack of content did post launch did it, not the reviews which ranged from good to great.

for your information, the reason why i bought Xbox one earlier than i should was Titanfall 1, i reached Generation 10 max level within 2 weeks of it's release date, Titanfall 1 is one of the best MP games i have ever played, i never felt bored, i was excited everytime i played it, even when MGS V:GZ came out( MGS is my favorite series of all time) i bought MGS, put it in the shelf and kept playing TF, in my opinion it is one of the most underrated games of all time because everything about it was perfection, it just needed more content, not a single change was needed, the bad word of mouth, the criticism and the exclusivity killed the game

i actually don't know which game you mean, Witcher 3 is impossible to be the one you mean, it's the best game since RE4, so it's either BOTW or Destiny

Stygr

Banned
for your information, the reason why i bought Xbox one earlier than i should was Titanfall 1, i reached Generation 10 max level within 2 weeks of it's release date, Titanfall 1 is one of the best MP games i have ever played, i never felt bored, i was excited everytime i played it, even when MGS V:GZ came out( MGS is my favorite series of all time) i bought MGS, put it in the shelf and kept playing TF, in my opinion it is one of the most underrated games of all time because everything about it was perfection, it just needed more content, not a single change was needed, the bad word of mouth, the criticism and the exclusivity killed the game

i actually don't know which game you mean, Witcher 3 is impossible to be the one you mean, it's the best game since RE4, so it's either BOTW or Destiny

LOL at this, if you don't know, that exclusive game managed to sell over 11 million copies across Xbox 360, One and PC.
Look at TF2, is a better game in any fucking way and sadly the game flopped even if it was released on PS4 with free updates and good reviews. Blaming the release date after a year is pointless, the game did recover a bit but the first Titanfall was way more successfull, 11 million copies for a new IP is fantastic, above EA' and Respawn expectations for sure.

LOL at this, if you don't know, that exclusive game managed to sell over 11 million copies across Xbox 360, One and PC.
Look at TF2, is a better game in any fucking way and sadly the game flopped even if it was released on PS4 with free updates and good reviews. Blaming the release date after a year is pointless, the game did recover a bit but the first Titanfall was way more successfull, 11 million copies for a new IP is fantastic, above EA' and Respawn expectations for sure.

Titanfall did over 11 million unique users across Xb360, Xb1 and Pc. Not 11 million copies sold.

But it's still impressive

ethomaz

Banned
I guess people couldn't do their reviews ahead of time? Weird seeing so few reviews and hardly any scores yet.
Why do something incomplete if you need the online population and Raid to give a fair review of the game.

Reviews of online games should be days after release... any review before that is premature.

ethomaz

Banned
Your link says over 10 million and these are not sales but players registered. That accounts sharing, rent, lend, free games and free weekends.

Said that IMO the foundation gunplay of Destiny is superior and more addictive than Titanfall plus the loot/reward model please more players.

PooBone

Still not sold. I REALLY hated Destiny after salivating for years and buying a PS4 just for it. I'll have to hear some story content details, if it's as dumb as what they were trying to present in D1 it'll be an easy decision. Hope I'm wrong.

Still not sold. I REALLY hated Destiny after salivating for years and buying a PS4 just for it. I'll have to hear some story content details, if it's as dumb as what they were trying to present in D1 it'll be an easy decision. Hope I'm wrong.

The best thing I've heard about the story so far is that there is one, which is an improvement over D1. Still doesn't sound like a particularly good one, though.

Bold One

Stop trying to be sold, many have held some baffling grudges for the last three years and are getting suckered into hype frenzy once more. I say this as a massive Destiny fan, either wait for outlets you trust to give their verdicts or move on to other games you are clearly more interested in. You don't have to be part of the zeitgeist.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Stop trying to be sold, many have held some baffling grudges for the last three years and are getting suckered into hype frenzy once more. I say this as a massive Destiny fan, either wait for outlets you trust to give their verdicts or move on to other games you are clearly more interested in. You don't have to be part of the zeitgeist.

100% true. I was trying to force myself into this game and I JUST CAN'T DO IT! So I gave up. It's not the end of the world.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Vanilla Destiny is a 7.5 game. Good but not great. It's metacritic is 76 which is pretty accurate.

Ttk earned 86 which is higher than pretty much every fps released this gen.

Raiden

Banned
Is there and reason the user score on metascore is so low at the moment? Of is it always like this with popular games?

Strakt

Is there and reason the user score on metascore is so low at the moment? Of is it always like this with popular games?

Metacritic user scores should never be taken seriously.. They're usually either all a 10 , 5, or 0. You don't even need to own the game to post a review. If people don't like destiny, they'll post something bad about it w/o even trying it or base their review off a live stream.

ethomaz

Banned
It is always like that.

People hates things (even on GAF) without any real reason.

To be fair most 0 didn't play the game... it is just to downplay.

SomTervo

the reviews pointed out that it was a disappointment, especially the Youtube reviews from famous reviewers such as Angryjoe

even after it was released you always see a lot of people saying that Destiny was one of the most disappointing games they played

like you said, Destiny 1 survived the criticism, and it improved a lot from release, but most games that get criticized at release, die very quickly no matter how good they are, Titanfall 1 is a good example of an amazing game that got criticize and died because of it, but Destiny 1 survived and that is very rare to happen in this generation

and pretty sure if the same criticism happened again to Destiny 2, it won't affect it's playerbase, especially to those who played Destiny 1 End-game content

The game (D1) was touted as some huge and epic adventure. Just like Halo but bigger and better with clever integrated multiplayer features. "See that mountain? You can go there."

I burned through the story in 6 hours, it was awful plot wise and repetitive gameplay wise. I realised the grind to reach the raid would need 2 hours play a day for two solid weeks, while other fantastic games were releasing in the same window. The rng burned me repeatedly. Grinding the strikes even once a day was so dull it was unbearable.

Within one week i realised I'd made a huge mistake. It was a massively flawed product imo and a lot of people were burned by it.

It was only great if you play 100% socially and have time/routine to let a grind addict you.

Destiny 2 looks like a big improvement in many ways. But i still feel burned by 1 - I'm only jumping in when the price comes way down.

Edit: as mentioned by Anoregon though, TTK was a really big improvement and i respect them for that. I've yet to go back to it though. Still bitter.

Z3M0G

so IGN isn't going to upload a quick thoughts overview each day? They will just upload that day's 8-10 hours of gameplay stream? That's pretty fucking useless...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You could also say that people who stuck with it reviewed TTK :p

Naa, TTK was legit good. I tired of Vanilla quickly and echoed pretty much every major complaint about it, but TTK was an all around superior product and worth giving a go.

I didn't play it for a year+ or anything, but it was a good game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe its just me but a lot of those "positive" reviews actually turned me off on the game. I wasn't plan on getting it any time soon mind you but I've got a ton of friends who play it and would have jumped in at one point down the road.

By this logic destiny should have died because of its lack of content. Maybe TF is just a fun, not so deep game?

It died because of competitive multiplayer only (at launch) and the lack of content. In terms of gameplay depth it absolutely towers over any mainstream FPS this gen.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Games Master magazine was late being issued to subscribers because of a review embargo on Destiny 2.

It's in the shops today but I haven't got my subs copy...

Strakt

Game Master - 90
Attack of the Fanboy - 90
IGN (In progress) - 87
Cheat Code Central - 88
Slant Magazine - 80

hydruxo

Game Master - 90
Attack of the Fanboy - 90
IGN (In progress) - 87
Cheat Code Central - 88
Slant Magazine - 80

Nice. Loving the game so far as someone who spend hundreds of hours in D1 but still had a lot of issues with it. D2 irons out just about everything I disliked about D1 and fine tunes it. Obviously the shader situation is a bummer but that's my only issue really so far.

Falchion

Looking really solid so far. Will be interesting to see once a lot of these come back to revise their scores in the coming weeks since it's all online.

Par Score

Eurogamer "First Impressions" - If you didn't love the first Destiny, its sequel won't do much to convert you. (Full Review to follow after the raid next week)

All of which sums up Destiny 2's approach quite neatly. Burning through the campaign, it's hard to pinpoint what exactly there is that's genuinely new, bar some dogs you can shoot and the addition of exploding red barrels here and there. All of your old favourite enemies are here - the big fat martians! The angry fax machines! - but there are no new additions, no new classes or enemy types, leading to a slightly wearying overfamiliarity to it all. And still, three years on, even in the campaign's finest moments - such as in the sweep and grandiosity of Utopia, a gleaming highlight - this is still a shadow of Halo in its pomp.

It's more of the same - a lot more of the same - which is absolutely fine when that formula proved so popular with so many the first time around, but after three years I was expecting something beyond a handful of quality of life improvements. There's nothing here that will sway the equally large number of Destiny cynics and, right now, not much to inspire a more casual player like myself to get back on the hamster wheel and pour another 200 hours in.

Pretty much what I expected.

If you loved Destiny enough to keep playing it until now you'll probably love Destiny 2, if you didn't love Destiny that much then there's probably not much here for you.

Top Bottom