• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Review Thread

gatti-man

its not THAT illogical for the people who bought vanilla destiny...and felt burned. Considering how people seem to have praised Taken King as having fixed alot of issues with the game.

On that note. I pre-ordered last night lol. I was gonna wait for reviews but seems like those probably won't be out for a few days?

Yeah it really is. Waiting for TTK you missed out on a ton of cool destiny moments and the best raid was the 1st. As someone who played vanilla since day one it's a dumb comment.

They would never add the ability to kick people from Strikes, it would be abused and a miserable experience for solo players.

So instead people should have to deal with assholes who decide to afk for ages after going into a strike, assholes who don't afk but hang back and let others do the work until they reach the boss, and assholes who ditch after dying on the boss once because Bungie doesn't want to create a miserable experience for solo players? Great design choice there.

Jblanks

So instead people should have to deal with assholes who decide to afk for ages after going into a strike, assholes who don't afk but hang back and let others do the work until they reach the boss, and assholes who ditch after dying on the boss once because Bungie doesn't want to create a miserable experience for solo players? Great design choice there.

There should be an automatic kick for AFK players after a certain amount of time for sure, but there shouldn't be a vote to kick option at all. Not sure how many times I remember people waiting back the entire strike to reap the benefits at the end except for being AFK at the start, and I played a shit load of strikes, and people leaving after wiping once wouldn't matter if there was a kick option because they're already gone, and it usually finds another player fairly fast anyhow. That's just asking duos to abuse the system on a solo player because they aren't good enough for them/trying cool spots out with them/stealing kills, etc. You think there should be a vote to kick in PvP too, which would be equally a dumb decision and would be abused probably even more.

gatti-man

Yes

Dolobill

“Now that I’ve spent too many words kind of trashing it, let me tell you: Destiny 2 is better than D1, which I loved, and so I love Destiny 2 even more; I absolutely cannot wait to get back to playing it. I don’t actually care about any of the things I’ve complained about. I’m going to put hundreds of hours into this stupid game, shooting things and watching my numbers go up.“

This is what's wrong with gamers.

Stupid gamers and their ability to play games they enjoy despite recognizing their flaws!

Yeah it really is. Waiting for TTK you missed out on a ton of cool destiny moments and the best raid was the 1st. As someone who played vanilla since day one it's a dumb comment.

D1 was lambasted for lack of content almost across the board. It's totally understandable that someone would wait for a honeymoon period of the game to end to see if it's worth a purchase. I know I was disappointed in release and never picked it up after playing for 30 hours or so.

Eyeron

Seems like a fairly significant improvement over D1, which I enjoyed for 100+ hours. All I needed to know to activate blackout mode until 10/24.

Need some of this stuff, goddamnit.

CUWZ4qLVAAA7c5l.jpg

DrLazy

That is kind of worrying, as it inherently fuels selection biases. It is kind of like how later seasons of shows systematically do better on Metacritic during their later seasons, because the only people supplying reviews are those that like the show enough to have stuck around to the Xth season.

Yeah I saw this with the Souls games. Every review site has somebody who loves these games. Very difficult to figure out if a game is good or "good for the fans"

Got preload ready for tonight on PS4 Pro, my brother bought a copy for X1, and we're both double dipping on PC when it eventually comes out. Activision take our money. I wanted to get the digital deluxe, but told myself I can wait it out for a sale on the expansions.

Btw, did Destiny 1 ever have discounts on its expansions?

Drewboy64

Subclass quests dropping randomly like loot sounds stupid as hell, should be explicitly tied to some form of progression IMO.

Digging the new visual effect on enemy kills. Never noticed the ghosts leaving the bodies of Fallen before, but that looks dope.

Getting a sparrow so late sucks too.

Yeah, the subclass and sparrow things are really, really odd choices... What in the world?

borges

Banned
"it feels like Destiny without all the bullshit"

Polygon doing the Neogaf job of finding an OT thread title.

Juice

> I played 20 hours of Destiny 2 and it's everything fans have been asking for

Like a campaign with a compelling story?

Still disappointed that this game seems so light on interesting narrative

Ramirez

They can add AFK timers. People "hanging back" could simply be new players or people who aren't that good at the game. Strikes aren't even hard to the point that it matters, lighten up brotha.

Like yes exactly that.

The campaign is getting near universal praise

Dude, Destiny was still the best playing shooter this gen so far. So many dope moments, just marred down by pointless stuff. But the gameplay is hands down the most refined out of all the shooters out.

Just something I felt I needed to shoutout

ZeroD

I played a lot of the first Destiny. Not crazy amounts but enough to do the first couple of raids. I really want to get this but I have no one to play with in my time zone anymore. I could play solo but the grind is better with friends for sure.

Does JapanGaf have a group for Destiny?

Man the wait for the PC version is going to be tough....

I played a lot of the first Destiny. Not crazy amounts but enough to do the first couple of raids. I really want to get this but I have no one to play with in my time zone anymore. I could play solo but the grind is better with friends for sure.

It can be pretty tough finding a good group to play with in Japan, especially for raids. I ended up playing a bunch with people I found in Australia/NZ.

If you were getting the PC version I would offer to play together, but I am gonna sit out the PS4 version this time.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

My god, I can't read anymore spineless Day 1 Destiny apologist posts. Destiny 1 was a fucking scam the way it launched. A total bullshit campaign with an even more bullshit excuse that "the game only starts at level 20".

The next big sci fi game from Bungie was just a series of "guard this thing while monsters spawn" missions strung together via salvaged "lore", and a couple of free roam hubs and Co op missions... that revolved around the same "guard my beer" concept!

It was a joke!

To say that a fully priced expansion a whole year later "fixed the game" is such pusillanimous corporate grovelling horseshit, it's no wonder publishers have no respect for our wallets anymore.

Fuck's sake, man. Have some perspective.

Enjoy the game and do as you please with your money, but call a spade a spade.

With Destiny I never played with GAF people, but I just bought 2 and I live in Japan so if you (or anyone) want to add me on PSN I'm willing to give it a shot if we're on at the right times. PSN name is Schaberu.

Upinsmoke

My god, I can't read anymore spineless Day 1 Destiny apologist posts. Destiny 1 was a fucking scam the way it launched. A total bullshit campaign with an even more bullshit excuse that "the game only starts at level 20".

The next big sci fi game from Bungie was just a series of "guard this thing while monsters spawn" missions strung together via salvaged "lore", and a couple of free roam hubs and Co op missions... that revolved around the same "guard my beer" concept!

It was a joke!

To say that a fully priced expansion a whole year later "fixed the game" is such pusillanimous corporate grovelling horseshit, it's no wonder publishers have no respect for our wallets anymore.

Yep, unfortunately why I can't buy Destiny 2. The best thing about Destiny 1 was the alpha, the worst was realising the full game was a glorified beta.

It was a joke!

Okay, we get it, you don't like the game at all. But there's nothing unreasonable about players who had great time playing Destiny 1 during Year 1 and Year 2

joe_zazen

Yep, unfortunately why I can't buy Destiny 2. The best thing about Destiny 1 was the alpha, the worst was realising the full game was a glorified beta.

l feel the same.

It is still fun to watch the hype and enthusiasm of the more forgiving among us for more Destiny.

ZeroD

With Destiny I never played with GAF people, but I just bought 2 and I live in Japan so if you (or anyone) want to add me on PSN I'm willing to give it a shot if we're on at the right times. PSN name is Schaberu.

I'm at work right now and won't be able to get onto the PS4 until later so if you or anyone wants to add me too my ID is ZeroDS

At work but will add ya when I get home: PSN SeraphimJulius

If we can get more JapanGAF that would be great.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Okay, we get it, you don't like the game at all. But there's nothing unreasonable about players who had great time playing Destiny 1 during Year 1 and Year 2

I'm actually really tempted to buy this game because how much I like the universe.

It's the fact that I know (or don't) what happened to the story and in game lore that cripples any excitement I can muster.

If you are solo you can fill a team of 5 that needs one player through guided games.. also clans being integrated to the game will make it easier for you to find a regular groupto play with.

That said, theres no "fully fledged" matchmaking for raids.

edit: For raids yeah, there's Guided Games feature to find players.

"Guided Games" is ONLY for Normal Difficulty. Hard Difficulty is still the same as D1 (better find some people).

GAF Thread Link HERE

You do now get a chance to actually do a raid, but if you want HARD difficulty items and benefits, it is still the same old song and dance.

Then what's left?

Catshit
Dogshit
Horseshit
Muleshit
Sharkshit
Komondo Dragonshit
Zebrashit
Abyssal Fishshit
Goldfishshit
Lemurshit (Luke Smith's personal favorite... *ALLEGEDLY*)
Sparrowshit
Speakershit
Ghostshit (does it vapor in the air now too like killed enemies?)
Ikorashit
Cayde6shit
Zavalashit (and trust me, his shit never makes sense...)
Gunsmithshit
LukeSmithshit (the elemental opposite of Gunsmithshit)
ThatGuardianYouNeverShutUpAboutShit
Acitivsionshit
Microtransactionsshit
ExpansionPassShit
Eververseshit
Soccerballshit

Plenty of "shit" to be had with this game... this is Bungie, they will find a way to make the "shit" rise to the top at some point. Too many examples from D1 to think otherwise.

It was a joke!

If you didn't like it that's fine, but seriously, you're coming across as a gigantic twat with how you're talking about people who actually enjoyed the game. Grow up.

Hnetuduft

Catshit
Dogshit
Horseshit
Muleshit
Sharkshit
Komondo Dragonshit
Zebrashit
Abyssal Fishshit
Goldfishshit
Lemurshit (Luke Smith's personal favorite... *ALLEGEDLY*)
Sparrowshit
Speakershit
Ghostshit (does it vapor in the air now too like killed enemies?)
Ikorashit
Cayde6shit
Zavalashit (and trust me, his shit never makes sense...)
Gunsmithshit
LukeSmithshit (the elemental opposite of Gunsmithshit)
ThatGuardianYouNeverShutUpAboutShit
Acitivsionshit
Microtransactionsshit
ExpansionPassShit
Eververseshit
Soccerballshit

Plenty of "shit" to be had with this game... this is Bungie, they will find a way to make the "shit" rise to the top at some point. Too many examples from D1 to think otherwise.

Dont't know why but Komodo dragonshit made me laugh out loud. Well done.

zoukka

Think of it as 1st person Diablo. The story is a non-factor.

Melchiah

I've played +600 hours of Destiny's PVE content since the alpha, and had a break between Dark Below and The Taken King. I don't feel like I would have missed anything crucial, if I had started from TTK. I played all raids once, three of them when they were fresh (Crota's End being the exception), and I didn't care to replay any of them. Aside from the raids, everything else can be experienced perfectly well later on. The loot connected to certain activities, like those of the first two expansions, might be dated at that point, but that's not an issue to me. I also played most of those hours solo or with randoms, so it doesn't bother me that much that my friends are now playing without me.

That being said, reading the impressions and reviews makes me tempted to get the sequel, but at the same time I don't want to feel tempted to buy all the expansions separately. So, I'm hoping my resolve holds until the equivalent of TTK arrives.

Jamiaro

This is the issue with me too. Bought vanilla, got burned superhard. Bought Taken King since my friends told me it fixed vanillas issues... sort of true, still a slog of a game. I LOVED the gunplay, gameplay, enemies, even the raids.

But in both of those games, I felt like I did not do enough to be able to play with my friends. They grinded and grinded to no end, I just got burned by it all.

And I've watched streams of D2. It looks cool, but deceitful in the same way the first one did. "Plenty to do", when there most likely is not. :/

mikelarry

“Now that I’ve spent too many words kind of trashing it, let me tell you: Destiny 2 is better than D1, which I loved, and so I love Destiny 2 even more; I absolutely cannot wait to get back to playing it. I don’t actually care about any of the things I’ve complained about. I’m going to put hundreds of hours into this stupid game, shooting things and watching my numbers go up.“

This is what's wrong with gamers.

Exactly what i was thinking, this review site has ensured that I will be weary of any reviews coming from this outlet as it seems hype takes over and common sense goes out the window

Top Bottom